Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There is no site I'm aware of that visualises the data automatically without somebody creating a custom graphic code which a poster on here has done before with windstorms (https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/dmc17/viz/IrelandStorms/IrelandStorms).

The met.ie historical data page doesn't force you to download the CSVs as you can view the data on a graph and in a table format for a given day, month and year though I assume you know this and it's very fiddly, not intuitive. It also misses some data for whatever reason which can be found on data.gov.ie. For example, Claremorris only goes back to 2010 on met.ie but 1950 on the latter. However the latter is CSV download only and no way to look at the data otherwise.

CSO (https://data.cso.ie/#) has monthly temperature, rainfall and sunshine data in a more intuitive way but the available figures are more limited. Climatological record day is 09-09 whilst synoptic station data on met.ie is usually 00-00 as they update in real time but to keep historical consistency, we still go by 09-09 and climate stations are 09-09 anyway. CSO gives you the 09-09 for the available synoptic stations and allows you to see the data since 1958 in an easy to read way. If you want to view a specific month only, search for example "m07" for July in the month tab. Note you have to search for the weather data type (temperature, rainfall and sunshine) every time you come here as a bookmark will only do so for the entire CSO database rather than a specific dataset.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Can I just say, the rainfall radar is a heap of rubbish this summer. Missing so many showers in the West today. I noticed the same at the Joe Biden speech in Ballina earlier this year, showers streaming in on the tv were not being picked up on the radar, and this is before the Shannon radar was being replaced. Gerry Murphy just showed on the weather after the news a radar with the West clear of showers, looked out the window, a heavy shower... is it like this nationwide? I know the Shannon radar is under replacement. But it was useless prior to this also. There needs to be another radar for the west/north west.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks for the detailed reply @sryanbruen ! I'll take a look at the CSO site. Yeah I've seen some of the charts on Met.ie, but they are not very slick, a bit clunky or something. Not that I've spent a huge amount of time looking to be fair, will play around with the site a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Was in Dublin cc today.

11am miserable wet and dark

1pm Dry but not sunny but dry with a few breaks

4:30pm see 11am.

showers the whole way down on the train this evening. Feels very like autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Yes met eireann are rubbish at predicting the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rainfall radar is being replaced at Shannon, temporary radar around Moore Park in cork it seems, missing everything north of clare. Useless for Galway all summer long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

After two dismal days in Galway-like I think it stopped raining last night for few hours but all waking hours it was raining, and dark.

Back in Meath at 5p.m. Wipers on until at least all way on M6. Break from the rain after that.

Blue skies, sunny and I actually don't care its windy right now. Went out for a walk a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Speak for yourself appledrop! Spare a thought for us Kerry folk! 😔 Between losing an AI, a disaster for us down here though we have lost our fair share, and this utterly miserable weather, I couldn't feel more dejected. You would think the weather could not realistically get worse but it actually has. I'm out of here again in a week, thank christ, heading back to sunny Spain.😁 Holidays in this country, when you combine weather with the cost of everything, are a joke.

Congrats to all the Dublin posters on here for yesterday's victory!

Post edited by acequion on

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Good day in West Cork. But the forecast for tomorrow is brutal. Not sure I can be bothered to stay in a caravan for 2 weeks of this.

Feels like winter is here early

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

In case you thought August might bring a change of fortune...not for the opening few days anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

In Bath in UK at moment, really lovely place , but also suffering from same ,rainy ,cold crap as Ireland, so we aren't alone .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The only photo of the Supermoon I managed to get with all the cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 7 royalblue61

Are you sure you didn’t just stick a tortilla to your window?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A bit better in Dublin. Okay, I'll reduce the photo spam 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thats fantastic bud :)

Good news guys. July is over.

186.6mm here the final total

August rain so far 0.0mm 15 minute drought!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wonder when the hose pipe ban is coming in, quick I better fill up my swimming pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

June 23 warmest ever, July 23 wettest ever, August 23 ??? coldest???? windiest ???........

August 23? Wrongest ever!

There'll be all short heatwaves promises but theyl never prob happen.

2.4mm now. Drought over.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

That's a fabulous photo of the natural world meeting the industrial world. Sorry Oscar bravo, as someone suggested, yours is a bit like pancake Tuesday gone wrong.

How does July rainfall totals measure up against march totals. I am in North Meath area and ground conditions are particularly sodden for farming at the moment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Not a bad morning in Dublin, there was even a little bit of sun on my cycle in this morning which was nice, although it shows how low our expectations are after possibly the worst July we have ever seen. Hard to believe it's August already, although I doubt too many people were too upset saying goodbye to July. Hopefully we will get a few nice weeks in August/September, as there is no doubt we deserve them.

Post edited by gilly1910 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I thought it would be interesting to compare July 2023 to June 2012 at Dublin Airport since that's a month that a lot of people are fixated on.

July 2023 was wetter than June 2012 and what makes this even worse is that July is on average drier than June. July 2023 also had 28 days with rain compared to 24 in June 2012 but you'd expect more days with rain in July than June so maybe July 2023 edges out June 2012 on relative terms.

July 2023 also duller than June 2012, both in terms of sunshine total and as a percentage of the respective monthly average. Also, June 2012 had a few days great days scattered across the month whereas July 2023 didn't have any days that most people would consider anything better than 'good'.

Finally, June 2012 was a cooler month relative to average than July 2023 but only by about 0.2°C.

So, July 2023 was clearly the worse month (and actually the worst July on record at Dublin Airport if you combine rainfall and sunshine) but I'm sure somebody will come along to tell us it hasn't been as bad as June 2012 or that it could've been worse. Maybe in future summers when we get poor spells we should say it hasn't been as poor as July 2023 rather than June 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Roscrea July 23 - 193 mm rain, 24 days with rain (6 very wet days with 10 mm or more) and just 6 days over 20°C

Good riddance 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

July is finally over with.

My local station of Dunsany finished July with 184.5mm of rainfall, surely this has to be the wettest July on record and it is a value of rainfall that is rarely ever seen in this part of the country regardless of time of year. In terms of temperature we finished slightly over half a degree below average so no surprises that July was a cooler than average month as well as record breaking wet.

I feel August may not be as overly wet as July but it should generally stay on the unsettled side with best chances of dry weather in the second half of the month. Dry spells likely to be short lived with the Atlantic in control of our weather for most if not all of the month. First half likely cooler than average with second half likely more average in temperatures. I'm not expecting anything particularly warm or hot with low to mid 20s the very best we can expect providing we can get some ridging going even just for a few days. July turned out so grim that I'm looking at July 2023 as the gold standard in the very worst a summer month can bring in Ireland and it is unlikely that August 2023 will meet that standard so maybe an improving scene as we go through August but nothing to get excited by either.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Thanks Gonzo, although sadly that outlook doesn't exactly fill one with joy. No sunbathing in the back garden or trips to Brittas Bay or Wexford to look forward to if we're looking at yet another unsettled month albeit slightly better than July. Sadly it looks like Summer 2023 is going to be one big write offf then after getting off to such a wonderful start back in late May early June.

Post edited by gilly1910 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm fairly confident first half of August will be mostly a continuation of the July setup, just not as overly wet. The second half of August is more uncertain and the models keep wobbling on ridges of high pressure so I feel patience is required as we slowly ease our way out of a very unsettled pattern to a less unsettled pattern. We should see more in the way of dry days this month tho compared to July, think we only had 3 dry days in July. A visit to the beach still might be possible at some stage during August, but I just wouldn't expect day after day of heading to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Id say July was the wettest month on record in Ireland 🇮🇪 as a whole , we only have 6 weeks of presently Warm weather then the sun gets weaker as we head into October, jasus at this stage I'd want to hit Australia 🇦🇺 for heat by then

I think that here in the Northwest we may rival July's rain.

We are 186.6mm to 2.4mm behind at present and maybe the only way it won't be as wet as July is the rain will be constant drizzle and not downpours as July brought. I'm already writing off August so as not to be disappointed when it's shyte.

It's going to be a high stool month to swim in pools and do the many indoor activities a country as wet as Ireland has to offer....like the pub....the pub....and the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

So we get more rain in summer than winter thats great🙃

Advertisement