Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• I kept on repeating it, they fobbed me off. I can see Niall Tubridy emphasising about the contrast… “you’ve had last scans without contrast, this time I need to see where the newer lesions are, so this time I’m sending you for for MRI of brain & full spine WITH CONTRAST.. they will inject you with Gadolinium which is uniquely taken up by the areas where active inflammation is going on”. The chest CT to rule out TB was ignored too. I have some known opacities on previous chest CT’s that were flagged for follow-up. Just like my brain had previously been flagged for follow-up by a doctor who upped sticks.

After Liveline I went for a cervical HPV test at my GP, Prof Tubs requires it ahead of immune suppression treatment. I won’t go much into the experience except to say after extremely clumsy attempts at exploration nurse couldn’t locate it, somewhat smart remarks about anatomy.

She asks me why I want it done, explained why, and she says “what do you mean, your arthritic legs are MS, is that what you’re saying? Never heard of someone your age getting it, are you sure that man is right? Never heard of him, who is he?”

🙄 Bad enough dealing with what I’m dealing with without listening to cr@p from people who should know better 🤷‍♀️

Enough material for a long Liveline cawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

I know exactly what they use, but they hate doing CT/MRI with contrast because it's a pain in the arse. and some ppl believe it doesn't give you anymore information.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I know Niall boylan is not everyones cup of tea, but if he says we're going to be talking about these 3 subjects, he will talk about 3 subjects, and if he has to hurry callers or tell them,we have to move on so be it,

In the last 3 yrs or so liveline has gone stale, very little gold, boring safe subjects, where someone will agree, next person disagree etc,

Unless it's someone disagreeing with Joe,then he'll go child like and get callers on to back him up.

For the amount of people in the background of the show it seems money for nothing

• I’ve had CT with contrast plenty of times before. No big deal at all.

• This site is driving me mad with its repetitive timeouts, and it’s just getting worse. I think it’s like a snake eating itself by the tail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭calculator

Here, all the best. Have the fingers crossed for you.

• Ah I’m grand, I get a laugh out of absurdities and especially Liveline absurdities! 🤣

• What is Joe doing presently to enjoy himself? The plump round 68 year old man with glasses and gasses relaxes by a beautiful castle overlooking the beautiful Dordogne River. He has a lovely blond wife, two adult sons an adult daughter who all stay in the castle which has a pool.

I’ll asked AI

I’ve asked. Tis all still quite experimental at this stage. I make no apology for images presently generated, they convey the idea and the satire of long languorous holidays in a luxurious French riverside setting.

Everyone deserves a break, but absences by hosts always come across to the scale of the magnitude of their alleged importance.

• Well here’s what AI matters ne with !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭squonk

I think the production staff are just phoning it in at this stage. Pick a subject, let anyone on who wants to talk about it, run down the clock. I could produce a show like Liveline myself like that and I’ve no experience whatsoever in the field of broadcasting. These days i me tally picture researchers, producer and anyone eked involved sitting around during tge show having coffee sbd talking shîte but keeping an eye on KT just in case something bad happens. After that thry spitball a subject gut the following day with 2 backups they know they’ll never do, spend 30 minutes doing a bit of research sbd lining up a few cawlurs and then more chat til it’s home time.

• Advertisement

• i saw a vacancy for a researcher for Liveline. I’m generally not into self/ promotion but I’d be disqualified by my over-competence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think the promo at around 12.45 is just like click beat to get listeners and no intention of going to the topic.

I'm sure many here read and elsewhere who heard the promo about the tyre blowout wanted to know the story but no.

Actually many times I'd say most of the time what was in the promo never gets aired at all.

Lets check it the tyre blowout ever gets on Liveline.

Post edited by Jeff2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I bet the new producers/researchers work hard at preparing for the days show, till they realise they have a host that will go off on his own tangent, and all your effort goes for nothing.

like a friend who works with the county council. he had worked for years in the private sector, where the harder you worked, the more you made and the better you got on. He joined the council full of ambition and ready to work hard. He soon realised that this got you no where, only dirty looks from lads working with the council for decades. He is now fully assimilated into doing as little as possible to pass the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I have worked in environments like that and it is bad for me for a whole host of reasons. It makes getting out of bed in the morning all the more difficult if you know you are going into a place to just run the clock down for the day. Some people are well capable of doing it, but I much prefer being busy, if for no other reason it means time flies. One such place, where I was just counting the minutes until hometime, the highlight of the day was going out for lunch. It wasn't long before lunch included a pint. Then not too long again until lunch involved two pints. Then a pint or 2 on the way home to help with the stress of the boredom.

I much prefer a busy work work environment. Where I just have 30 minutes, if that, for lunch. Just enough time to grab a salaf in the Spar or a sandwich in the canteen. My favourite places were where it was already 4pm before I had stopped and grabbed something quick. I thrive under just the right level of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,209 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ah caller, would ye not like a 75 minutes a day sit down jobbie yakking about nonsense, endless holliers and getting €300k for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Field east

• Needs less researchers to stick to the one topic for an entire show, or two. There’s nobody in the shop atm, they are all sunning themselves in St Tropez

• Yes, I worked in DCC all my working life, if you showed any competence you got bullied, mainly by the boss who was almost invariably (with one or two exceptions) far less competent. I ended up having a “career-ending” Takotsubo cardiomyopathy heart attack after standing to to the bully boss. I had created a spreadsheet to forensically account for all takings, she had been siphoning small amounts and was later caught out on CCTV.

• KT

Entire show to be dedicated to memory of Dr Noel Browne

SaipanGate 2

No cash at gate of Ploughing Championships

• Advertisement

Anytime someone gets pissy about someone improving accuracy of accounting, timekeeping, stock control etc, its a sure indicator someone is on the take or is being creative with numbers. I have seen it in so many places.

I spent the summer of the year 2000 working in Dunnes Stores. Ben Dunne or whoever is the CEO of Dunnes nowadays really needs to do an Undercover Boss kind of thing in a few of his stores. There is or were all manner of skimming off the top going on.

What’s the big clamour to oust Vera all about? I know there are some issues she had in tge states but I didn’t follow them as it seemed like a ‘he-said,she-said’ kind of scandal. She got the women’s team to a World Cup. I didn’t watch the matches but Stephen Kenny, the golden boy seems to have performed much worse and nobody is looking fur his head. I don’t get it? What am I missing?

• AIB & DCC Treasury Dept used to be phoning up any time she did up the cash. Muggins always ended up having to sort it out as it would be her day off when the calls came. Anyway she was later caught after trying to frame my colleague, no longer works there. She was extremely dense in that there were more creative ways of doing what she did if she was short of a few bob. Used to give me jibes all the time “you think you are very clever”.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is Joe still away? Seriously?

De Meaning Of Life is very important cawlur. You couldn’t expect a professional like Joe to rush it!

I'm putting it down to the general misogyny the Ladies team have been recieving. I watched all the irish games, and honestly I wish the mens team performed as well as they did. Their defence is excellent. Katie Brosnan is a very talented goalie. Katie McCabe is also a very talented player. If we could put the two of them onto the mens team, we might start getting some better results.

Pau got the team to a world cup, more than Kenny has done. Ladies Team are ranked 22nd in the world. The mens team are ranked 52nd in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

Oh of course he is, I'm sure he said he'd be away for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He’s had at least 6-8 weeks off already, as usual. And more to come of course.

Probably no longer the case, but a "perk" of working in the deli, was if the best before date on meat was today, there was a special barcode sticker you could put onit as staff, and get it heavily discounted. So the 5 star turkey which was about 6 euros per pund, you could get for about a euro per pund. We had a few regular customers who knew about it and would buy it to take home to their dog.

Anyway, someone, presumeably the stock control manager, but I dont think the culprit was ever fully established, tampered with the barcode scanner, putting the date back by a day, so the meat appeared to be one day older than it was. Meaning the day before the best before date, it appeared as being on its best before date and therefore elligible for the discounted rate.

• Advertisement

to be honest Im enjoying the holiday from Joe. Katie for the most part is doing quite well I think. Aside from the Loose Women specials, and the boring topics which to be honest would probably be just as boring under Joe. She is guilty of regular stupid questions though. Not quite as bad as Joe's "What colour is the dog", but there have been a few humdingers.

Advertisement