Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I expect the ammo issues also relate to the difficulty of getting them to the front line, and we know the Ukrainians are targeting the ammo dumps at long range.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there are satellite picks of where they store artillery and tanks in Russia, so over time whats taken out can be counted , it was pointed out that they seemed to be picking apart some of the arty for barrels, I doubt they have an absolute shortage of arty/shells, just more a logistics issue of having them in the right place. but that affects both sides, its all react, counter react, counter counter react.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Given what's gone down in last 17 months, zero sympathy. He co-operated with conscription, he went to subjugate and kill his citizens of a neighbouring state. He died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no that's what the Ukrainians have christened them.

It is hilarious how that term does rattle certain peoples Jimmies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Unfortunately serious consequences for Russian soldiers family could be a reduction in their weekly sack of onions. The Army is not going to revolt over a soldiers family not receiving their onion ration. But that sack of onions could be more than enough to keep a soldier loyal and on the front line. There was a video doing the rounds last week of a soldiers family being compensated for his loss with a sack of onions. (Don’t know how genuine that was) but I reckon there is more than a grain of truth to it. That’s the unfortunate reality. Putin recruits from the impoverished regions. That’s the Russia Putin has created and exploits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

When the Nazi's were invading Europe, we referred to them with derogatory terms. Not every German soldier was "evil" of course, but they were taking part in a greater evil.

Putin is currently invading a European country (and is indirectly on a war footing with the rest of Europe) and as such Russians are being referring to by various terms. The Ukrainians started referring to invading Russian soldiers as "orcs" because they were systematically destroying, stealing, raping, murdering - similar to the fictional characters.

You post a story about a Russian soldier who doesn't want to fight, okay, I can post details of Russian soldiers keeping girls as young as 14 in a basement for a month systematically raping them. Russian soldiers castrating Ukrainian POWs. Torturing kids in Kherson. Pulling people's teeth out in Bucha. Deliberately opening fire on pensioners in a car in the outskirts of Kyiv. Deliberately targeting residential buildings, hospitals. Not isolated incidents, thousands upon thousands of cases have been recorded.

I don't use the term "orc" myself, but I understand why some do. In context, a European country is being invaded, people are being slaughtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

They will become the terrorist go to weapon in the very near future. In fact Russia use them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

To be fair in every war both armies would have names for their enemies. Might not hear commanders or leaders calling them it but definitely troops on the ground. If Ukraine call Russian's orcs are the Russians using the term nazis for Ukraine or do they have another name they call them that their troops use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks, I knew that Ukraine were developing their own weapons, but didn't know where exactly they were at with them. As for the long distance transmission, depends on what you are transmitting with and to what, I guess. Communicating with the space station, and much further afield, does not seem to be too much if a problem. But then on the ground, things might present more problems. Best of Luck to them with it anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

So by the your and CHBS's logic the Times newspaper are Russian Sympathisers ? More likely they hold views similar to mine, that Ukraine has been illegally invaded and the operation to liberate it is resulting in human suffering on both sides of the conflict. 

In truth I held similar opinions to you and CHBS when I was young, happy to tarnish an entire nation because of the views and actions of their leadership. This was further ingrained when I was detained and questioned by Bulgarian military police in the early 80s, however on the same trip I met lots of locals who became friends. Talking to me in private, often in whispers, I soon understood the hardships they faced under their feared communist leadership and realised many good people exit in "bad" countries.

CHBS says that it would be so easy for Taktashov to desert:

"he could have surrendered at any point like thousands of his countrymen have done, there is well known and advertised “I want to live” campaign targeted at Russian soldiers. There are even bounties if they do so with equipment."

Unfortunately this is huge simplification and incorrect. Taktashov was attached to the 70th regiment, which had a history of recruits surrendering, so it was stuffed full of FSB informants to counter any attempts driven by freewill. 

Ukrainians themselves don't share many of the hardliner views expressed here on boards, most have family in Russia, and are happy to be vocal about the human tragedy on both sides of this conflict, I guess the Ukrainian who wrote this article on life in the Russian 70th regiment is also a Russian sympathizer: 

https://myukraineis.org/news/several_units_of_the_70th_motorized_rifle_regiment_of_the_russian_federation_openly_refused_to_take_part_in_the_war_intelligence-331.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

It may not be shortage of stocks but inability to supply from stocks to the front line because I assume UKr is slowly, slowly picking away at the supply routes - be it bridges , rail or road

Nail on the head. It also why even Russians living abroad are very reluctant to criticize or protest against Putin or his regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Them onions must be special

Read an attack in zapaoriyia had Russians hiding in bunkers so they wouldn't be seen by drones UAF though there was only 20 it turned out there was 200 men they didn't even come up to go toilet.

They are determined to fight morale seems to be holding despite conditions and equipment shortage.

Huh? I haven't tarnished any nation. 😂

It's your "logic" not mine you are bemoaning the fact you are being called a Russian sympathiser whilst again openly calling for sympathy for dead Russian soldiers.

That's the whole point, once they do it to a few to set an example, they don't need to keep doing it. And this applies to all of walks of life in Russia. It starts in the schools ( even long before the present Putin-Hitler Youth kindergarten monstrosity ) and continues thereafter. But it has gotten much worse since the invasion, and as it starts to sink in for Putin that he's in trouble, he will resort to even more desperate measures. The absolute horror of all horrors for him would be mass surrendering, desertion, or worst of the lot, soldiers turning on their officers. So he will clamp down hard even on single event cases, and their Families will be targeted. But as you said ( and this is the big BUT ) if there were mass surrendering, and mass retaliation against the families, then that could trigger a reaction that might topple the domino's. But like the atomic bomb, getting the initial event started, would be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What would you call him, a 'glorious hero of The Fatherland'?

As a story it definitely pulls at the heartstrings but you know what? He was still a member of an occupying force in a warzone and we have no idea what he did while he was there. I'm sure he more than once pulled his trigger and fired in the direction of Ukrainian troops. Why did he want to commit suicide or kill his comrades? Was it down to something horrible they all did together?

If he didn't want to go to war he could have dodged conscription, fled Russia, broken a limb before going to the frontlines - he could have even surrendered while he was there.

What is Russia Today correspondent Chay Bowes up to these days? Blocked on the old twitter machine. Is he still over in Moscow telling people that it’s far superior to Dublin/Ireland (it really isn’t btw). Wonder will he be home soon for a visit?

• Advertisement

Replace "Russian Soldiers" with "Human Life".

I have sympathy for anyone forced into war against their will, by a tyrannical government. Just my feelings, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

One common thread in the video interviews of Russian POWs has been surprise at how well they've been treated. We've also seen videos of injured Russian soldiers taking their own lives to avoid capture.

Russian troops are fed a lot of propoganda about the treatment they can expect to receive from the Ukrainian armed forces if they surrender and when we've all heard about the brutality inflicted upon captured Ukrainian troops (and civilians) from the comfort our our homes in Ireland, you can be sure they've not only heard those stories but likely heard (or seen) far more of it.

If you were stuck on the frontlines and knew your side were raping, castrating, flaying and otherwise brutalising POWs, and were being told that's the kind of treatment you can expect if you're captured or surrender, it's entirely understandable that you might decide it's better to stay where you are and take your chances of a relatively quick and clean death from a bullet or artillery strike.

I don't think it's a contradiction to feel some degree of sympathy for those conscripted into the Russian army against their will while at the same time hoping Ukraine can kill as many of them as they need to in order to regain control of their land. Yes, in an ideal world a surgical strike against the Russian leadership responsible for starting the invasion (and continuing to fight in Ukraine long after it's become clear that they've lost) would be the best outcome but rather tragically for the conscripts forced to be there (and the Ukrainians their army are murdering, torturing and raping), such things are a lot easier said than done and this isn't a conflict that can be resolved by negotiations (because that same leadership don't negotiate in good faith).

Replace "Russian Soldiers" with "Human Life".

Why would I do that, so you can dilute reality and make yourself feel better?

I don't care who you have sympathy for, moaning about it is odd though.

Which was my point.

I have sympathy for anyone forced into war against their will, by a tyrannical government. Just my feelings, not yours.

So you have no sympathy for the ones who are there not against their will?

But what about "Human Life"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Personally I dont think the lines are going to move much by the autumn and on that basis the offensive will have been a failure. What's plan B? I doubt Biden want this conflict rolling into election season if its going badly? would negotiation sooner rather than later result in any difference?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I do not use Twitter (X?) but even if you are blocked, can you not just google to see the latest "Lord Haw Haw" style material from Russia (if you are really, really into that sort of thing)?

I have no wish to play word games with you or dilute this thread. I have one opinion, the invasion is illegal and the war causes a tragic loss of human life on both sides, you have another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It absolutely makes the difference. Putin is not going offer any territory he has stolen back to the Ukranians. And we know how Russians treat Ukranians in the captured territories. So they don't really have a choice but to take back as much land as they can by force.

In addition negotiating(handing over) the land that has been taken by force sets a very dangerous precedent for the rest of the world. The west knows this and so support probably won't be drying up even if the Ukranian counter offensive doesn't achieve some significant gains. I still believe it will. Ukr hasn't yet committed the bulk of its forces.

The support in the US for Ukraine remains strongly bipartisan. So much so that it really is an easy win issue for any potential candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

that Ukraine has been illegally invaded and the operation to liberate it is resulting in human suffering on both sides of the conflict.

Highlighted is the red flag. Ukraine is being invaded by Russia. They have no choice in that, however they do have a choice between accepting occupation or defending themselves. They've overwhelmingly chosen to defend themselves.

They've also chose to ask for support in this. Other countries are supporting them, which is perfectly legal.

The Ukrainians are more than aware of the pain and suffering caused by defending themselves from occupation. That's the price they are willing to pay. That is the choice they made. Likewise it is their choice if/when they decide they will go to the negotiating table.

You are attempting to speak on their behalf.

Ukrainians themselves don't share many of the hardliner views expressed here on boards, most have family in Russia, and are happy to be vocal about the human tragedy on both sides of this conflict

There it is again. Both-sides-ism.

It's up to Ukrainians how they face this, all we can do is support them when they ask for it (otherwise we are enabling the invaders).

The language you are using here is reminiscent of those individuals who support rewarding Putin with land for the sake of a temporary "peace" (brutal occupation), who think they know what is best for the Ukrainian people.

I wasn’t actually aware you could do that. Thanks. I couldn’t give a hoot about what Bowes thinks or says, but I just hope he is truly miserable over in Moscow. Staring forlornly into his pint in Katie O’Shea’s and trying to access blocked sites via some dodgy VPN on his phone.

• Advertisement

I haven't given my opinion.

But no I wouldn't be distressed or sad by Ukrainian's killing Russians in the literal name of freedom.

The only good Russian in Ukraine is a dead one, however they ended up there.

I see the Russian Soldiers that are alive committing the torture, killing and raping children as the tragedy.

Again though if you are going to try and garner sympathy for Russians being killed slaughtering Ukrainians don't cry wambulance when people call you out on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement