Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I RMA'd back in March. It took just under 3 weeks and was painless. The replacement has been working away without issue since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Cheers for that. Did they give you a refurb? Seems a simple enough fix on my one but I'm not gonna go messing with it if it's under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm not sure, it felt new. There were no obvious signs it had been used before and it was even packaged the same as the first.

The only difference I noticed was the ribbon inside the case was missing, but I read that was removed in later iterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Not sure if anyone has had this problem that might be able to help...

The odd game I've been playing on pcsx2 there may be red and green lines down the middle. I did a search and seems to be a common enough problem, but any solutions I've seen seem to be for the PC version of pcsx2. I'm using this installed via emudeck. I either can't seem to find the settings to change (for the proposed solution) or else it's not the same as what you'd see on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

256gb models back in stock - sorely tempted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone setup Dos or Mame on their Deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Probably been asked a million times sorry but what are the restock rates like for the 64GB does anyone have a rough idea?

I held off buying one for ages because the plan was to build a proper gaming pc but now I'm craving one all of a sudden lol, kind of kicking myself that I didn't get one a year ago now.

Don't want any bigger storage as I'll be whacking 2TB in there.

Feck it went with the 256GB and an official dock, I'll stick it in an alliexpress enclosure as a portable drive.

Can't wait now, I'll be upgrading to 2TB straight away and grabbing a PS5 controller. First up will be Tears of the Kingdom but it was the Baldurs Gate 3 confirmations that tipped the scales for me.

Any suggestions for the best value 2TB SSD available atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Best value is probably something on AliExpress. Otherwise it seems prices on Amazon have dropped slightly, 2230 NVMEs were hard to get in Europe compared to the US for a while.

There can be great value found on adverts if you keep an eye on it. I found a 256gb drive for 20 quid with postage, the same drives are used for surface's and xbox's so should be some out there. I'd be weary going for something like a sabrent personally, as following the reddit people have had them die. The hotswappable SD card function is great. I've played God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tiny Tina's, Diablo 4 etc all from an SD card, there's no noticeable difference from the playing experience.

It sounds like you want to go into emulation, so I'd be looking at just buying a few cards as opposed to swapping out the internal storage, you also have to consider a larger, faster capacity storage, drains the battery faster and is not regulated(?) by valve in terms of how hot the deck gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

SD cards swap so quickly it seems unnecessary to mess with the hard drive. But I get the want. It does fill up quickly, especially with a Steam library at your disposal.

I've three SD cards filled with games. Even have one Windows OS on an SD card so I can run Windows without changing the whole system. Pop in the card, boot it and you have windows. pop it out and reboot and you are back to Steam OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I also caved and bought one 😔 also trying to build a new gaming rig, that GPU will have to wait a while more. Any recommendations for a good micro SD card? Feels like that's the way to go imo instead of swapping internal drive.

Okay that's interesting thanks maybe I'll get by on AAA on the deck and a 500GB card for the roms/Emudeck for now and just keep an eye out for deals, I'm usually a one game at a time kind of player anyway.

Do you recommend the PS5 pad or have any better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There is no difference when playing games off a SD Card. First loading times is a little slower but not much.

I play it handheld with the normal controls. I've tried once or twice in docked mode using an old stadia controller and it was great.

Sent Deck back Friday. Got email today say that they'll send me a replacement. Happy with that now. I'm sure the issue is repairable but probably easier for them to send replacement. Hopefully won't take long to get it now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Corsair MP600 MINI 1TB M.2 NVMe reduced on Amazon.

Decent at £75.

Amazon also had an offer where you got £5 free credit when buying £60 gift card.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

Hi All,

Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that will do an HD upgrade? I love my SD and really don't have the stomach to perform surgery on it myself!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is it possible to put on one of those SSD's into the base 64gb model?

I've found my gaming has become so much more focused on smaller screens, switch, remote play or xcloud on my phone so the steam deck is becoming more and more tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye. Basic innards are the same on all models.

Was coming in to post that, I've got one on the way.

• Advertisement

Hey, yeah I upgraded my own SSD, but if I had 256GB as standard I'd be happy enough to not mess with it, it can be a bit finicky removing the small screws and that but nothing too major.

With regards to game pad, I play it handheld and then whenever docked (quite a lot for Diablo etc) I use an xbox one elite controller I had. But really anything will work, just depends on what you prefer. For pokemon games or something that you dont need much for I'd probably buy a SNES pad or something off Amazon!

Anyone who has done the SSD upgrade, will this do the job for converting a USB stick to usb c or do I need to buy an actual usb c stick do you think? Any other way around it?

Sorry forgot the link:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/124487033752?hash=item1cfc016398:g:5qMAAOSwm71i6jlJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4F3Lv2G3jmrXxe9hkmyO4UV%2FwuQ%2FgDfgAlS%2BR%2F2bgE3NVUXlSus4eShtXfsDEFygs459iPzdeOpUR2OFOFc5gwQOAV7mCCVuVd2FQPWvr%2FqHLLpcw2gMrVQMaExrZt5kvz8amQTtMWiLrkcuX5%2F0tfeGTVL05YmQIRUSw00xsodlZrMG5WzmhkzwXvT6WyrBfmf7PgTBccok0HujiUpebdSClGAtFvD69brHnSkjBnGX5oRqsCr87ckfDQ7RrOV1%2FOAreXdBcjrWX1hFDhC2LTmKgS5NyvkkUFor9q56Ea3M%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5rVkfu2Yg#shpCntId

I got one off amazon it was a usb stick that has both ports on it. So I downloaded the image off my laptop using the regular usb 3.0 port then there's a slider for converting it to usb c - well worth it

Good reviews for Baldurs Gate 3 performance straight out the gate before any optimisation or anything anyway, genuinely asking myself why I waited till now to buy one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It always sounded like a faff to me so I didn't bother with it. Instead, I just installed the emulators that I wanted from the software repository. Usually there's some minor tweaking like setting up the roms directory and sometimes the controller. A lot of games haven't aged well such as early 3d stuff like goldeneye and mario64 but the gamecube and wii have some some gems. The snes and megadrive have some very playable classics too (chronotrigger, terranigma, mario series etc). Wii U and Nintendo Switch games work well too and they're fairly recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Not on the deck specifically but I've done in on android, windows and ubuntu. I don't remember it being any more difficult than others. The boot image might have been distributed separately. Dosbox and Mame are in the software repository.

Baldurs Gate III is now officially verified.

I must say when it was teased back in 2019 with the mindflayer clip I would not have predicted in a million years Id be playing it in this format, what a time to be alive 😁

Super impressed with the RMA process. 11 days from when my Deck was picked up to receiving a new unit. Would have been 10 only for bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Weird one, but has anyone noticed some phantom notification sounds on their Deck? I’ve been playing it a bit over the last few days and occasionally hear a little chime, similar to the achievement one, but no obvious source for it. Not sure if it’s something to do with background downloads or friends logging in? Just not immediately obvious to me what the alerts are actually alerting me to 😂

Advertisement