Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's World Cup 2023 - Girls in Green on Tour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Also, many Colombians are happy that Ireland got knocked out early.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Let them at it, it's not our job to piss off or make the Colombians happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This game is a belter. Far more entertaining than most of the mens matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Nigeria beat Australia 3-2 to go top of the group. Some poor defending from Austriala and a chance now they mightn't make it out of the group.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That is a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Thats an upset !!

Really turns that group upside down!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I think the COYGIG pod had said long before the finals started,that Nigeria are the best African Nation, ranked lower than they should be and that on their day they can very good.

We'd need our best team out against them. Looking forward to it anyway. It's not a dead rubber for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A win would do far, far more for the future than playing the fringe players just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭jonnreeks

I suppose its all about winning at the end of the day! 🤤

• Advertisement

Haiti should have drawn against England and beaten China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Some match between Colombia and Germany

Yep.Good tv. Same as France Brazil yesterday.

Wow, Spain is so powerful and overrated.

Japan seems so versatile.

I'm glad Jamaica didn't get Costa Rica's group.

Banda is so fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

tony o Donoghue and RTE have been disgraceful in the way they are trying to push the team to criticize Pauw. Stephen Kelly just said its sad the way all the talk around Pauw has overshadowed the tournament. He and the others in RTE are the ones who keep going on about the management. Could it not just be parked until they were out of the tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its right though.

McCabe wouldnt say Pauw was right to set up the team the way she has.

McCabe said she'd love to be more attacking. ...

Sometimes whats not said, says more....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've been in Japan for the past 3 days and not a single mention or anything of the world Cup.

Same story in south Korea which I had expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Decent first half performance with the midfield doing very well, still lacking a bit upfront and Lucy Quinn has been surprisingly shaky. Nigeria look like they'd be very happy with a draw.

That's a fantastic save by Brosnan.

Nigeria look on top now. We'd do well to hold out.

But Pauw hasn't helped herself either

She's being very negative in her press conferences. Saying the team was afraid, too slow, criticising mistakes.

• Advertisement

Excellent result. Would have been easy for them to have gone through the motions, great attitude and commitment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A deserved draw, at least they finished with a point and a clean sheet.

Yep. We'll take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Our first points on the board from a very tough group that we did quite creditably well in. A good first showing to build on going forward all in all.

Good draw, took a while to settle in the second half and Brosnan had to make a fantastic save to keep it at 0-0. But they did get more control of the game after 70 minutes or so and deserved the draw. Just very blunt up front and there wasn't a huge amount on the bench in the forwards.

With regards to Pauw's future I'd be in two minds tbh. Great job to qualify for the tournament and we've been competitive in the three matches in a tough group. On the other hand, we're very defensively set up which makes us a not very enjoyable side to watch and you'd question whether we're making the best out of McCabe and O'Sullivan. The allegations from the US are a shadow hanging over her and she didn't help herself with her press conference after the Canada match. Players lack of support was also intriguing. To conclude I'd have no issues if she stays but I also wouldn't be disappointed if she's let go.

I'm of the same opinion. We're hamstrung by the lack of quality but McCabe and O'Sullivan need to be in more attack minded roles.

I don't get the impression that the players are fully behind her either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Did everyone in the squad get to play? I don't think so.

No Mustaki definitely didn't I think and the sub keepers didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

For a nothing game she should have made sure every player was able to say they played at a World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You have to remember, for managers it's all about the result, even in dead rubber games.

Yes, she could have played everyone who hasn't played yet, but if she lost the game then the press would be on her back even more. She can't win.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with that. Result is paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like maybe it's one thing with an actual dead rubber in some qualification group or something - but this is the world cup! And our first ever world cup... you have to put your best foot forward and play to get points out of every game. It's not the time to put sentiment over success - and leaving the world cup with points on the board is definitely more successful than leaving with none, even if we go out at the same stage.

Why? It's not some local underage tournament. Very few squads give every player a run out for WC or Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Disappointed with McCabe. Not just the row on the pitch but her twitter response now

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭patob

Sounds like Katie was doing a bit of a Roy Keane and undermining Vera by calling the in game substitutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

She's been acting like she's better then the rest for most of the tournament. And to be fair she is.

Might be a few layers to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If the manager leaves, which I think would be a terrible idea as its all about qualifying for finals, the proof in the pudding will be whether we qualify for the next Euros or not.

Katie McCabe is not the manager. She could do with having some respect for hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Niall_76

When the World Cup was on there you’d barely have known it was on so I’d expect nothing about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

She was very petulant for a period in the 2nd half, kicking people and arguing with the bench. Then when they get a corner having created nothing for the whole 2nd half, she goes for goal from it. Now I know she scored from one against Canada but that’s a very low percentage play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Said it in the first game, she was like the best player in an under fourteen team, looking to do it all herself.

She may have scored from a corner, but it showed a lack of faith in her team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

These women (especially McCabe) got caught up in their own stardom during this tournament.

This manager has put a structure in place that has taken Irish women's football to a place they have never been before.

They set up negatively because to do otherwise would see them get beaten more convincingly than they were in the first 2 games.

We have this notion in Ireland that our national football teams are top class players in waiting who are simply not allowed to play football by their manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

In fairness to get, she's almost playing a different sport to the rest of her teammates. She's so far ahead of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She thinks she is but its to the detriment of everyone else on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Shes not far ahead of O'Sullivan in actual ability. Ego shes is far ahead of the rest of the team combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

We have this notion in Ireland that our national football teams are top class players in waiting who are simply not allowed to play football by their manager

This is bang on. Look at their results, lost to hosts due to a sloppy penalty but had a good last 30 minutes and missed two great chances.Good first half against Canada and unlucky to concede that own goal in the last minute of the half. For a first world cup they put in a decent shift.

I blame this idea we could be world beaters on Keane in 2002 trying to convince people that if you just have enough self belief you can beat anyone, eventually you just have to admit you came up against a better team.

Whether Pauw gets another contract will probably depend on off field matters, maybe the players don't like her or the US business is a nuisance the FAI don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This world cup has shown she is also far ahead of O'Sullivan. Even taking into account DOS' improved performance against Nigeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Katie McCabe is an absolute warrior who turned in gargantuan McGrath in Giants Stadium type performances against Australia and Canada. The team as a whole were agonisingly close to two results driven on by McCabe. She will have been bitterly disappointed.

We didn’t manage the second half versus Canada well, the subs were poor and we weren’t pushing up to chase the game as a unit. The sideline struggled imo.

The FAI shouldn’t have allowed us to go into the tournament with the manager not having a contract beyond our exit. That pressurises the situation, and magnifies problems. As always is the case with Irish football, the administrators never fail to make things as awkward as possible on the athletes in the arena. It now turns out that incompetence wasn’t just a Delaney issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

She was miles ahead of O’Sullivan in performance, maybe surprisingly so. O’Sullivan will probably be disappointed she didn’t impact the games more.

But McCabe was pure Roy of the Rovers stuff against Australia and Canada. Just absolutely outrageous levels of drive and determination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement