Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Cork lads have nothing to gloat about. Failed to get out of Munster and their best players are all over 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

the more i read some of the excuses for losing the more laughable they become

we lost leauge final we lost to wexford and all ireland final due to players gone past it or not good enough .

your manager no experience of managing a senior team and some of his decisions were baffling

trying to blame our fitness nothing wrong with it against galway or clare in last 10 min

nothing wrong with butler lawlor mullins even tj back helping out

we lost because we had to many players on the team not up to it and these players had showing the not up to it or there day had past them

i could see it last january and all people could say to me i did not know what i was talking about funnily enough everything i said came true

all i read now this lad not up to it this lad gone past it we not fit enough we not fit enough no matter how fit you are you have to have the skill

billy ryan one of the fittest and has pace has being very poor mossy run all day cant pass the ball fogarty one of the fittest players in the country gone past it buckley and padraig the same and walter skill level very poor

some one said nicky brennan said we took eye off ball i have talked to people highly involved in squads for years and they all say the same it was more important that you big and strong than what skill level you had this came from the top now we pay the price

i think the greatest example of this was blanchfield cody did not think he strong enough but conor browne was he might of being but i know who i would have on my team

i know we will never know but last year if blanchfield had being picked from start he done more than browne did in the few minutes he on

so you can all say i mad i all ready know that but anything i have put forward i have giving my reasons why

i dont know how anybody can judge young shine .

he has done some great things in his development so far i would be judging him with kierans that is where i would see him he seems to have done very well for the boro and to say he gone as far as he can what a joke only time will tell

i said i would have adrian mullin center back on my teaam all i got back was ffs your centre back has to dominate our centre back at the moment cant to that he was destroyed by cian lynch mullin excellent under high ball very strong in the tackle excellent delivery of ball both long and short great reader off the game he played more as a half back than half forward under cody can take a score from distance consistently all great teams need a dominate center back and i have no doubt he would do a fine job

you can build up a skillful hurler and i have no doubt there is plenty of them in kilkenny just pick them plenty of paul phelan out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I have good time for Martin Fogarty but I know first hand from speaking to him he has very antiquated views on how the game should be played.

There’s no doubting his love for the game and he speaks very passionately about it but his opinions on tactics and his coaching methods are largely obsolete in relation to the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

Has skills coaching changed that much?

Yes, there's things like tactics, throwing the ball at speed (though hopefully that cancer on the sport is banned soon), proper movement, S&C, reading the breaking ball, things like that we need to move on in terms of coaching those things.

But the core fundamentals of the sport have hardly changed. Clean striking, striking from distance, crisp first touch, quick hands, catching under pressure as a defender/attacker, rising the ball under pressure. My understanding of Fogarty was that he's a very good skills coach, and he's supposed to be a good organiser? Would it be any harm in asking him for advice even? Because on thing that struck me watching the league and AI finals this year and underage the past few years is how far off the pace our basic skills were at times, particularly under pressure.

I'd also worry about the overall standard of our club championships. Yes, Ballyhale are a freak club, and they've proven that repeatedly outside Kilkenny as well, but it's getting to the stage very soon now that they'll have won half the county titles in the time since they've won their first, and that was only 45 years ago this year. How can that club be doing so well and clubs with better or equal numbers are nowhere near them? What are they doing right that the rest of us aren't? Has anyone asked them what it is they do? In all honesty, take Ballyhale out of it (I know, they're still a Kilkenny team), and we have a poor enough record in the club championship (11 Leinsters from 6 clubs, 5 AI's from 3 clubs) for a county that's all hurling

Would having someone with Fogarty's stature and knowhow organize a training structure for clubs based around Ballyhale's outstanding player development work do any harm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Marrooned

As someone alluded to Martin Fogarty would have a lot to offer on the skills front just because they are of a certain vintage does not mean they are finished wise heads some of those remarks were ageism at its best I was just saying he would still have a lot to offer look at Pat Gilroy on the line last Sunday are you trying to tell me he wouldn’t know his stuff.

As I said lads I have great time for Martin Fogarty and of course we could definitely use someone of his vast experience in some way for sure.

I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone or be disrespectful to the man.

I actually don’t think I’ve ever met anyone with more enthusiasm and passion for the game but I’ve had conversations with him and I’d worry about someone who thinks there’s no such thing as a bad ball into the forwards or that a bad ball is better than no ball at all….. no time for the short passing possession game and things like that, which is grand and maybe I even agree with a lot of what he has to say but I just don’t think those methods and way of thinking will be successful in the modern game.

I’ve been witness to plenty of Martins coaching sessions though and there’s no doubt he’d have a role to play coaching the basic skills like first touch etc…

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

When I said, he had his day, what I meant was his methods had its day. From listening to him been interviewed he doesn't have any time for "modern hurling" and seems to crave for the old days of hurling. Unfortunately it ain't going to go back in time for the foreseeable future, therefore we've got to move on or stay stuck in the past and win nothing.

I’m talking about basic skills coaching at underage sessions.very few inter county stars able to catch a high ball, take a sideline cut, free taking ,blocking ,hooking etc.

Ah yeah of course, when it comes to the fundamentals or coaching the basic skills of the game there’s no better man for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Truth can have that effect on some people.

No-one making you read it, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Only because ye didn't get far enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

More than just skills now

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

It's more than just skills now thou. It's skills and how they apply in a game situation.

But every hurler should know all the basic skills, I am not too sure that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

We were watching a Kilkenny player at that for years & I don’t remember Kilkenny supporters complaining about the lack of manliness then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Kilkenny need to move forward not go back to the same old faces. The questions are the same as they've been for years: who selects the coaches appointed to each development squad panel and how are they appointed?

Take it back a level: is there sufficient coach education for people involved in clubs whose actual responsibility it is to teach the basic skills to be of an acceptable quality and are clubs actually getting their coaches to go to these courses.

I've said it before that Kilkenny as a whole are far too arrogant for our own good. There's a refusal to go outside the county for help and fresh ideas and there's plenty of coaches won't go to courses to upskill.

Anyway, club starts this weekend so plenty of games to distract everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Sure why wouldn't I read it sure there's 3 or 4 of ye here and ye make me laugh reading all the excuses why ye got spanked in the final.By the way they're Eddie Brennans words not mine I just happen to agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Does anyone have a schedule of club championship dates once the leagues are completed? KK People says Senior Final to be played on the 29/10. Many thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

As far as I know first round is weekend of 17th Sept so a week after round robin finishes. Then it's 2 weeks to QFs, another 2 weeks to SFs and then another 2 weeks to the final

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Catinthewilderness

Is there any club hurling previews. Who is managing who in the merry go round this year. Who is going to challenge ballyhale?. Have Thomastown missed the boat. Junior seems very strong at the moment. Who's the favourite at the moment?

If possible this weekend posters should buy the program and whatever game/games they are at circle the best players on both teams and see what we could come up with. It would be interesting to see and hear a wide range of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Bit harsh on Harry Shine. He has every chance of making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭KK36

I don't know how they are appointed but Ned Quinn's son is one so go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Looking at our squads teams at different age groups, sometimes it's striking how much our lads can (and are allowed to) play as individuals compared to how other teams work as groups and pass the ball to the player in space at the right time. You would wonder sometimes at the coaching structures in terms of correcting this as we are often guilty of players taking waaay too much out of the ball and going for the hero/hail mary score as opposed to laying off to a player in space. The Cork teams in particular seem to have this team play ethic drilled into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

So group A is

Ballyhale

Bennettsbridge

Erins Own

Glenmore

Graigue Ballycallan

James Stephens

Group B is

Clara

Danesfort

Dicksboro

O'Loughlin Gaels

Mullinavat

Tullaroan

Friday at 7pm starts with

The Bridge v Comer

The Village v GBC

Saturday

2pm

Ballyhale v Glenmore

4pm

Clara v Boro

Sunday

12.30pm

The Fort v MullinaVegas

3pm

Tullaroan v OLG

New managements

Ballyhale unchanged

The Bridge have lost Willie Maher obviously but held onto Dan the man and brought in Richie Doyle can't remember the name of the manager

Erins Own and Glenmore don't know

GBC new man can't remember his name

The Village the big BC

Clara and Danesfort don't know but think unchanged

Boro unchanged

OLG Brian Hogan

Mullinavat and Tullaroan unchanged as far as I know.

Group B on last year's form is the harder group but it rarely plays out that way. The Bridge we're hugely impressive to start the year but faded away. They'll be hoping for a stronger showing with the talent they have.

Ballyhale will probably not start hurling till the later stages as usual. They are missing a host of players this year which would have to give the other teams hope, Ronan Corcoran, Brian Cody, Joey Cuddihy, Joey Holden and possibly Colin Fennelly. I think there are a few more missing too but that's a third of a starting team but someone is still going to have to go out and take them down. Still the favourites by a way.

Comer, Glenmore and GBC I would expect to be in the middle to bottom half of the table with GBC or Comer the most likely from this side to end up in relegation.

The Village will be an interesting prospect under Cody. They will be hard for any team to beat but do they have enough to go far in the championship.

Clara have a nice few players coming and are always tough to beat, they don't know when to give up.

Danesfort newly promoted would likely be happy with staying up I assume. I know their missing one or two of their good forwards from last year like Jack Bruton. Hogan and Murphy aren't getting any younger they've a good defence but the top end of the field might be the challenge.

The Boro should be challenging and have plenty of talent to do so but rarely produce it when the drums start beating as friend of mine says. If they get everyone on the field they should have one of the stronger teams but can or will they do it when needed.

OLG under Hogan should be interesting to see what style he has them playing. If Hogan gets the player's on side then they can go far in the championship.

Vegas are a big strong and hard team and I'd expect mid to top table if they have everyone on board. Their issue starts when teams play around them very dangerous on their day and take a lot of beating but usually lack the consistency to go far.

Tullaroan had a great mix last year and they have huge heart and massive pride in the jersey and listening to Tommy Walsh every night at training it would be little wonder. Tommy's legs are gone a few years now but he'll always give his best. Gearóid Dunne is a great new talent for them allied with Mossy and Shane Walsh they'll cause every team trouble. Padriag and Martin Walsh in the back 8 along with Tommy Walsh they'll keep it tight for all opposition.

Ballyhale clear favourites still (until they're actually knocked out)

Boro, OLG, The Village and Tullaroan lead the chasing pack. Without seeing them so far I'd say that Tullaroan could be the contenders.

The Bridge, Clara, Glenmore and Vegas in the next group and wouldn't be surprised if any went on a run.

Two of Danesfort, GBC and Comer likely in a relegation final.

This weekend predictions without seeing any games up to now is almost impossible but I'll take a shot.

I'll go with

The Bridge beating Comer

The Village beating GBC

Boro beating the Clara (I'm not biased 🤔)

Glenmore beating Ballyhale

Mullinavat beating the Fort

OLG beating Tullaroan.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

A lot of this team play though is based around the throw ball being ignored. It's easy to play a running/possession/interplay game when you don't have to worry about giving away frees.

However, we're hardly saints in terms of not throwing, we're at it too, but nowhere near as effectively.

Partly because, as you point out, others seem to play as groups, or have the running game (and the associated movement) well drilled into them.

Another part is due to our lack of conditioning. We just don't seem to have the athletes, or the physical training, that other counties seem to have. You can't keep up with teams that have more energy and movement than you, and in games you'll waste more energy chasing down lads than you do being part of the play.

We just seem off the pace in terms of preparation of our younger players in most ways.

We've won one minor title since 2010, one U20 since 2008, and we're heading into year 9 of our senior famine. Even allowing for other counties with bigger populations over-taking us, it's a poor return in fairness.

At some stage, we're going to have to admit we're not doing things right, even if we're trying. If that means going outside the county for help, then so be it, pride be damned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

Is Shamrocks v Glenmore changed to Sunday? It was down for Saturday in fixtures

Advertisement