Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Some would say the reason that they "won enough" was cause they were good enough to be in the final's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness, neither Kerry or Dublin have never served up 'puke football' as Brolly calls it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It was that clown Pat Spillane that coined the phrase puke football after Kerry had their arses handed to them by Tyrone in 2003, the sour grapes from him was unbelievable that day. Both Kerry and Dublin are very cynical teams and often play with 15 men behind the ball but it’s only puke football when an Ulster team does it, usual biased RTE rubbish. You mustn’t have seen Kieran Duff and Brian Mullins in action in 1983, never is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Pity most of it is sterile spruce plantations, while alot of the small % of existing natural woodland is being badly damaged by invasive Rhodendron:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fitzsimons did a good job on David Clifford today. Kerry scored 4 points in the first half not counting the goal which they scored on virtually the stroke of half time. That kind of scoring wont win an All Ireland. Dublin were the better team by far today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

that was pat spillane's comment,

ky were bad today , too many wides, and gave D a present of a goal , not taking from dublins win they deserved it

was at a funeral after the match and a ky exile was giving out about gough blowing up on the stroke of full time , I said ye had 81 minutes before that and ye should have used them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I always find it enjoyable to learn new things in books. I particularly like all farm related.

I'm reading "The Orgone Accumulator Handbook" atm.

Orgone energy was coined by Wilheim Reich. A Ukrainian of German heritage who grew up on a farm in Ukraine of thousands of acres. The Russians invaded Ukraine and his father committed suicide and his mother died soon after. He was in his teens when he left the farm and joined the Austro-Hungarian army. His education continued in Europe and before WW2 emigrated to the US. His work on Orgone energy in the US drew many critics. Anyway he died in a US prison in the 50's because of this work.

All sounds very outlandish and out there.

Anyway the book is a recent publication by James DeMeo, Ph.D so it'd be his observations and recollections and furthering of Reich's work.

The farmer stories stood out a mile to me. And gave me a wry smile.

Not sure if the mods can flip those page pics around. Otherwise maybe save the pics and flip them yourselves on your own devices to read.

Interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Thought James mccarthy should have seen the line today. 3 yellow card type tackles, two of them dangerously high!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Media were setting Clifford up for a fall all week with GOAT comments. It's to early in his career for that. A genius in the making no doubt. His misses today would have being the difference. Feel sorry for him but hats off to the Dubs.

Post edited by kk.man on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If it was dry yesterday, I think a lot of his shots would have gone over. He kinda spins the ball off his boot when he hits it. Hard to do with a wet ball.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

We may start a "What's on Twitter tonight?" thread.😁

Tonight it's a former president of European young farmers taking it upon himself to be a spokesperson and defender of chemically protected urea.

The reason he's defending it is he says it's either that or reduce livestock numbers for emission targets.

A cursory acknowledgement of foliar which he has no knowledge of. Just because he was never arsed to put urea in a sprayer.

But the real thing comes from he says CAN and straight urea may be banned.

You've farmers advising him maybe it's not so wise to be adding more chemicals to soil. But this all came from big business in New Zealand so it's obviously the correct path to follow.

Probably never heard of Quorum Sense in New Zealand.

And on the non corporate company alien farmer led thinking and practices theme from New Zealand.

There's another world out there that doesn't need to advertise it's products in the weekly farmers newspaper. And doesn't look to harm or take risks with soil.

He must be after sniffing something out.

Google threw that up.

But until whatever it is, is revealed. ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I saw him quoted in the Journal last week saying something similar about his belief that straight urea and CAN should be banned and only protected urea should be allowed.

Strangely, what came to mind was how you explained on here about protected urea adding more chemicals to the soil.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It goes against the EU calling for a reduction in chemical use.

But there's been a ton load of money put behind this from corporate from the chemical companies.

It's not rocket science either if they wanted to use urea as a granular and reduce ammonia emissions. All what was required to do was coat it in pyrolytic carbon. But there's no company can patent pyrolytic carbon.

Even closer to home Cooney Furlong are selling seaweed coated CAN with improved NUE than simple CAN. But teagasc don't want to know.

Could I be bold in saying maybe the right hands weren't greased? Don't know ..but there's a fair stink off all this.

Farmers nor environment nor consumer of the food will benefit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is that seaweed coated CAN much dearer than regular CAN?

Oh and thanks for the pic of ‘Curiosity’. You’ve just forced me to give €35 to Amazon on a Monday night!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Not sure on the price difference. I tried to order some in a blend lately and they hadn't it in stock. So it is selling.

Ah it is a good book. And John King will be getting some of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJbyvx9G/

Farm Theory was talking about this on TikTok yesterday. Don't know if the link works, but his handle is @FarmTheory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

He's giving a slightly different argument against Protected urea than SMN. Basically saying its wasting money used PU in anything bar very dry conditions. And it is.

The price per unit N utilised is a solid argument in its own right. But for me, the soil biology is the one I'd be more concerned about.

It's really hard to fathom how the fertiliser industry got such "scientific" buy-in on protected urea in Ireland.

Like SMN says, it seems to be mainly just because it's an another borrowed Kiwi dairy idea.

Ireland is really out of step with other countries on this one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Say my name, before you upload the pics just go into edit and slightly re size them and they will be right way up when you upload them. One of the glitches with the change over to vanilla. Tell us more about the‘ accumulation book.

Curiosity looks interesting too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Cleared 5 Irish people out of the place earlier. They passed 3 no dogs signs to get where they went in with sheep, with their dog.

Very apologetic they were, that they got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

No doubt the sense of entitlement to be there was wafting off them. Gobsheens

Knock you flat on your back at 100 yards it would.

The Accumulation book gives plans on how to make an accumulator. Basically back in the 60's, 70's, 80's this was more of a thing in the US. Before the blue pill this was said to give "energy" to a human. Sean Connery sat inside one of these boxes regularly.

Reich also said this energy was a disadvantage to cancer. DeMeo goes into nuances of this. DeMeo also goes into water and how it can give and adsorb energy. Goes how salted water can draw out bad energy from a human.

On the accumulator Reich said metal attracts energy and organic matter stores it. So the box or accumulator is made in layers of steel and carbon. Steel wool, sheep's wool. Steel sheet, Fibreboard type of thing.

Reich developed this thought to Cloudbusting machines. He developed them by steel pipes aimed at clouds with the intention of breaking up the clouds or attracting them for rain depending on the wind direction. The steel pipes had to be in running water to work. Followers of his used the technology around the world. Even employed by the Eritrean government for a time.

Kate Bush wrote a song on Reich and his subsequent arrest.

Curiosity book give two,three,four pages on a farm - farmer and at the end of the piece bullet points on what regenerative practice worked for them.

There's 54 chapters. All bar a couple on money management, with a different farm in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

When I was doing the organic course, the instructor (a South African guy) asked if any of us knew anything about biodynamic farming. We all said no, - never heard of it and someone asked what it was.. Explanation came - planting crops with phases of the moon, putting cow dung into the horn of a once calved cow and burying it etc...

When I suggested that this sounded like quackery or belief in magic, he got very cross and said that it was "well proven"

He had seemed like a very reasonable fella up to that point with well thought out positions.

My subsequent googling confirmed that it is exactly that - magical belief and unproven nonsense, but his reaction was interesting, - a little like how the green religion believers go nuts when presented with anything which doesn't fit their belief system.

I hate religion of all descriptions in equal measure to quackery.

Makes me wonder about organics... but using no expensive fert and collecting a sub for same cant be a bad thing.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Googling can't get you into the fields of those doing it though.

It can't tell you that farmers are using 501 as a desiccant instead of round up.

It can't tell that biodynamic and non biodynamic farmers use and buy 504 because they see the value of using it.

The use of silica increases carbon sequestration it's well proven by loess soil.

If you lock yourself off and look for feign superiority through ignorance you're at nothing.

• Advertisement

Watching the weather forecast the last evening, I had to remark on the presenter talking of our Summers predicted to get warmer and drier (I'm all for it), versus other predictions that we're going to be Northern Canada 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement