Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Soon it will be a koran in one hand and a burkha in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I remember when his locals were adamant Enoch Burke and the Burke family were well respected in Castlebar.

Nice to see the shtick is consistent.

Edit: i see @Quin_Dub already noticed the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Remind me again please, what % vote did Casey get when he ran in the general election? Zero point what?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In fairness pj - Read my reply to quin - it answers that thoroughly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently their anecdotes are better than everyone else's; presumably cos it conveniently feeds into the "breaking point" narrative; of pure hearted local Irish beset by hordes of ... ... "Undocumented Men". And we all know what dem foreign men get up to.

And that's all there is, really. Invented grannies quivering in fear, a few small protests blocking traffic in Dublin, and local àssholes bothering refugees. There's no "gap in the market" here, no appetite to Other migrants; given we Irish are genetically familiar with what it is to leave a homeland for a better life, maybe it's no surprise the anti-migrant sentiment hasn't taken hold.

God knows there are legitimate questions to answer cos with the climate collapsing migration will only increase - but xenophobia for its own sake curries no favour here. There's not an ounce of proof, no matter how many tearful grannies are trotted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Makes a change from "oh my friend said" to "oh a tearful granny said" - amazing to have so many "local" friends in the know isn't it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Irrelevant metric. People vote for many things, a vote (or lack thereof) for any party doesn't signify support for a certain policy. Farage never succeeded in UK elections, but majority supported him on immigration (aka Brexit)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

So the national party has a lot of silent support, but they don't vote for them. How do we know they have support, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Three in four voters thinking that "the number of refugees Ireland is taking in is now too many” doesn't translate into support for a single-issue party with the hardline attitudes to immigration that the National Party espouses, keynes. It's entirely possible to think that Ireland takes too many refugees and also to think that the National Party is a half-ludicrous, half-sinister gang of fascist wannabees, for example. The very same poll that you are citing here also shows that electoral support for the National Party is negligible. You should join the dots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Refugees" is an important piece of language here given the topic, while overall that poll's numbers don't translate to party support which itself illuminates; the results clearly indicates a more nuanced, complicated position than the extremists you espouse in the Irish Freedom Party or NP.

A majority also apparently show concern over our ability to give accommodation to refugees in the first place - so clearly it's more than that people don't want these arrivals; you can easily read the results that the Irish think we're taking in more than we can house - not that we don't want refugees at all. Like I said, nuances are at play here.

A majority are also frustrated the application process takes so long - and I can tell you knowing a Ukrainian colleague currently without residency as a refugee across the EU, that's a concern felt by those stuck in limbo too. Most migrants want certainty and their situation sorted, not to be stuck in a sports hall for months living off handouts. So the headline is catchy but you can't ignore the context created by the other statistics of that poll. Must seek it out, cos clearly the devil is the details.

Neither the IFP nor the NP curry support that's better described than "negligible", so even if there was a broad rejection of refugee numbers as an absolute, the public aren't buying what those 2 hardliners are selling. Not least the National Party's own mandate that _all_ immigration be halted, and deportation conducted of all migrants.

Now that's lunacy - and economic suicide just from a pragmatic PoV.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The way people choose their government is irrelevant. That's some serious mental gymnastics you're doing there.

The Nazis you're fanatically defending are as disgusting as they are irrelevant. No amount of posters here gaslighting and playing them down changes this.

As for Farage, he was nothing to do with Brexit. I suggest you learn some modern UK history.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure most of the rabble "protestors" are brits being transported in to try and make these groups seem any way meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Immigration has not fallen due to Brexit. It was never going to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How did I forget that?

A blind man could have seen it at the time, the way the UK economy was structured. We had such a sweet deal here. Dump the oldies in France and Spain and poach the youngest of Italy and Poland. Now we've binned that but immigration is at an all time high.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Shhhh!!!

They're a massive problem and they're going to be in power after the next election and no amount of infighting, lack of actual support or facts can change the opinions of those who fear them.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's one of the things that far right agitators always think is that there's a silent majority who support them. It comforts them to believe that they're not alone and they're just the brave few saying what everyone else is thinking.

It's either that or they believe that everyone else is brainwashed and only they can see the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Probably because homophobia isn’t linked to immigration status. Weak attempt, in fairness.

The far right extremists have never stood up for gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Au contraire, it's the only metric that really counts in a democracy, outside of the exceptional circumstances of a constitutional referendum. I.e. it's far the most important tool the ordinary citizen has to bring their views to bear on the political system. And as long as only a handful are voting for parties that advocate immigration policies that differ substantially from the current consensus, the established parties will continue on their current course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"The far right are the only ones standing up for gay people's rights" might be, and I cannot stress how much ground this covers, the dumbest sentence ever commited to boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It's not dumb IMO, it's a blatant attempt to spread far right propaganda.

Fascism is like a weed: sure it might start small and harmless you say can be disregarded, but unless you attack it its parasitic nature will only cause more appearances, while leeching off the rest of the garden. Now I'm gonna stop that metaphor now before I mention... I dunno, blow-torches and my real feelings about fascists come through lol. Fascists and Nazis must always be fought and told to Fúck Off. No quarter given.

alleged 'far right' are the only ones to stand up for gay peoples protection and rights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

Indeed. These lads with their noose rallies protesting against a gay minister for children, who also spend their time ranting a staff of places because they're flying rainbow flags. The same crowd that harass library staff for their youtube videos, in a warped attempt to try and link homosexuality to grooming. I must say I'm shocked to find they've actually been on gay peoples side all along. Who knew like?

Anyway back to the matter at hand

Gardaí now believe only a fraction of the gold is owned by the National Party, with the rest owned by senior party members. A significant quantity is understood to be owned by the party’s purported new leader and former deputy leader James Reynolds, who owns a large farm in Co Longford.

The gold was kept in a commercial secure storage facility in the Dublin 4 area. It is not clear why the party members opted to store their gold together with the party’s gold. 

I suppose this opens the door to an innocent, albeit pretty loopy, explanation to the presence of such a large chunk of gold in the party vault. It may also help explain why the party membership at large appears to have turned on Barrett if he was aware of this mingling of party and individual pots of gold but didn't investigate what had happened himself before going to the guards...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So it was just resting in the storage facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Fascists should always be told to fvck off, agreed.

Same goes for Communists.

Far right and far left whack jobs shouldn't be tolerated

One of these two groups has some traction in this country, the shower of idiots being discussed here have no hope of over running the garden now or ever, all this thread does is offer a platform for cathartic release against this particular flavour of stupid.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So I click on the post you're replying to and get this...

Quelle Surprise, I suppose. But what is it about the internet right wing posters on here and this endless re-reg trolling? It's the mindset of a 5 year old.

Advertisement