Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2023 - 29th & 30th July 2023

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

While they have done it, they don't really land on the sea much anymore. Something to do with Salt water corrosion. They did explain it a few years back but I can't remember the full reasons.

They are ok landing in still-water and had an issue a couple of years back after landing in lough Ness which kept in the water for an extended period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

The Viggen flew over my garden en route to it's display. What a sound!!!! Not bad for a 50+ year old machine.

(The Aer Corp can't avoid getting fast jets forever! Hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

They hope to go back up to 9 next season for their 60th anniversary and 50th anniversary of the T1 Hawk too I believe. (Though Reds didn't go to Hawks until 1979)

The reason they are only 8 this year is that they can only safely train 3 new pilots a year and they would have needed to have taken on 4 new pilots to go back up to 9 with a few leaving to go back to regular service. Next year 2 should leave and 3 will join making for a 9 ship display once again.

The formation looks weird without 9. They flew 7 on the Saturday of RIAT and 8 on the Sunday. Last year 7 was terrible and out of place, this year just looked odd. 8 looks far better but they need the 9 for the full display effect.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I enjoyed the airshow yesterday and the Red Arrows were great. I know it was a flat display with one vertical part when they went shooting through the clouds, but at least they displayed in challenging conditions. Such a shame we didn't have a clear day again.

The DART was very well organised, I had 4 seats to myself on the return, there were extras to Connolly. The kids all seeemed to be having a great time. Easily the most enjoyable Bray in a long time for me, based on the ease of the whole thing and displays in challenging conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did anyone who was there think the new Red 10 was, well, a bit too shouty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Flat display, last year's cancellation and the weather. 3 reasons to inject some excitement in the commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

I am interested, I remember going to few what I thought were very good airshows in Abbeyshrule (for a teenager anyway) even further back. I was sad when they stopped. There was a UH 60 one year you could walk right up to, kids climbing all over the inside of it, several fast jets one year, some privately owned ex military jets from 50/60s, saabs, several aerobatics teams and individuals lots of pitts specials, yaks etc, irish aer corps, search and rescue helicopter, remember red arrows at at least one of those too... static displays of radio controlled models incl jets which was a big novelty for me at the time and this is a bit hazy and could be misrembered but I think an A:10 thunderbolt one year?? it appeared to me huge effort and organisation went into some of them and you felt like you were close to the action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

How can you possibly do that & crash & burn so soon? You havent included the king of Irish Airshows for years & arguably was still the best, the Salthill Airshow & it was all free & always had some type of fast air. Ran for 17 years.

Post edited by Psychlops on

At a glance, some of the Aircraft that have been at Salthill:

Red Arrows/Thunderbirds/Silver Swallows/PC9M's/Dauphin/Alouette/Casa/S61N/GASU Squirrell/GASU/IAC EC135's/AW139/Tornado IDS/Tornado F3/PC7/Harrier/Nimrod/F16/F15E/A10/S3 Viking/F14/F18/Blackhawk/Seahawk/Chinook/Merlin/B1-B/EF Typhoon/ATR72/YAK52/C130/YAK50/Tucano/Extra300/Boeing Stearman/Seaking ASW/C21A/CM170 Fouga/GASU Islander/Aer Arann Islander/Hawk/Jaguar/Marchetti/C141 Starlifter/F1 Mirage/Alpha Jets.

Im sure there are more im missing, 3 hrs one Sunday in July for 16+years you had upwards of 120,000 people in Salthill & the Saturday before was always great with some practic displays, I think everybody 1 year I think 2002 remembers the German Navy Tornado below the high tide waterline...

Post edited by Psychlops on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you aggregate the participation at any venue over a decade or two, the list can look very impressive. Most of those types (and more) have appeared at other Irish shows, so I would question whether Salthill was a show beyond compare with anything else ever held in Ireland. There were some great shows at Baldonnel and also at Shannon (1990) but sadly such events (like Salthill) are now history.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Rock Solid

Why was Salthill stopped? It was the best in Ireland and most aircraft landed at Shannon and Galway Airport which is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Was at the last one at Baldonnel. That was amazing. Bray airshow is nothing compared to it. Such a pity they stopped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Salthill was stopped by an Anti- War group who are based in Galway they they protested at every Air Show even launching balloons when 4 F14 Tomcats from the Aircraft Carrier JFK began their display they would walk the prom banging pots RTE loved them giving them more coverage than the Air Show .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The JFK visit was in 1996; the show continued for a good decade beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Read what I posted they protested at every Air Show to the end

Advertisement