Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DLS vs Dungarvan and Mount Sion vs Fourmilewater kicking off the Senior Championship tomorrow night

On paper DLS and Sion wins but never know

The overlords Ballygunner playing Abbeyside Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DeHorse88

Clubber have the rights for the Waterford, Tipp & Kerry Championships. Annual Pass is €99 for all games some value. What way does that Clubber Streaming work does anyone know? Can multiple people work off the one account at the same time and watch same games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Mount Sion 0-14 Fourmilewater 2-18. Aussie & Jamie Gleeson red carded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

yikes just to clarify ft score hell of a statement from 4mile

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Mount Sion are in serious decline.

Difficult to watch. Even with 15 against 15, Fourmile looked sharper.

Regarding Aussie ... he is only a shadow of his former self ; scored a couple of points from play and a trademark sideline but his overall demeanour is of someone who would prefer to be elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Was at it myself and totally agree but when Mount Sion needed leadership, no one stood up, there was bitching and mouthing towards each other in the 1st half when the game was still there for the taking but they were making mistakes. Aussie is such a talent and does amazing things but there was no need for him to be sent off tonight. He had already broke his Hurley off his knee and been booked before getting needlessly sent off on a straight red. He now, along with Jamie, misses the Tallow match. I heard after he was sent off in a recent challenge match. I want to emphasise that it’s not a personal attack, but he should know better at this stage of his career.

Finally, I want to compliment Mollerans on their venue tonight. A field across the road for parking, a great surface, a nice stand that is suffice for the crowd and loads of volunteers. I hope they get many more games going forward for east-west/east-east contests. I will definitely travel down for Clonea and Roanmore next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

Can anyone blame Aussie for been so f***ed off? Tony forristal, minor and u21 he was unbelievable at centre back.

Since senior for both club any county you could probably count on one hand the amount of times he has played centre back or in the half back line.

He is liable to score 5-6 pints from the half back position so I have never understood this obsession with playing him in the forward line.

Mount Sion had him named at number 9, started full forward, moved to left half forward, then right half forward, back into full forward.

Facing the play and running at the opposition is what he excels in and he's been pretty much denied that since turning senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Aussie needs to cop the fcuk on is all that needs to happen.

At this stage with his absolute joke of a disciplinary record he is equally as likely to win you a game with a great performance as he is likely to lose you a game getting himself sent off for something stupid.

Despite all his interviews over the years that he has matured he is still doing the same stupid sh1t as he was when he was 21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

Ah here, the first yellow was for breaking his hurler off his own leg, Pure frustration and anger with himself.

The red was very similar to the red v cork in the munster championship in Walsh Park, he had his hands stretched out not to get involved and after some time gave a slight lash back.

Again pure frustration.

The player becomes the target rather than what has been done to him. Put yourself in his shoes.

Played everywhere bar his natural position, finds it hard to get into games due to this, and frustration builds.

You play your best players in their best position, it's as simple as that.

Take Diarmuid Byrnes as an example, a great half back at Tony forristal, minor and u20 and where has he played senior? Half back and he is outstanding.

As I said put Aussie half/centre back. He's facing the play, in the game, scores 5/6 points and that frustration disappears, than rather that silly lash outs, he sticks a monster over the bar and that becomes his way of responding to the opposition.

And if he's not good enough for half back, he sites on the bench for a 10 minute cameo.

It's simple really. All you need to do is look back to the player as u14, minor and u20, unbelievable.

What was his discipline like then? Not an issue, why? Playing where he can influence the game and enjoying the game.

Take Dessie last year, a very clean player and you could see frustration building in him when was tasked around his own 65, and midfield.

Leave Dessie in that position long enough and you guarantee you see his discipline slide.

MS have been in decline the last decade, a few years of reaching a county final or the latter stages of the championship might have given the appearance they were turning a corner but I’d say that was more down to all other teams outside of Ballygunner being fairly poor and all capable of beating each other on any given day. I know it sounds a bit harsh but really just a reflection of where Waterford club hurling is at.

It’s depressing to see as traditionally Waterford teams have always been backboned by Sion players but apart from Aussie the last 5-10 years they haven’t produced any standout players. Crazy to think Sion would have no representation on the senior team if it weren’t for Aussie. What are their results like at underage the last few years?

Speaking of him, again disappointing to see him get the line. Becoming all too common unfortunately. Don’t think it’s even a controversial statement to make that his best years may be behind him and although he’ll be back next year I don’t know if he’d even be an automatic starter.

His biggest issues were always consistency and temperament. We’d accept he’d go a game or two being quiet if it meant he’d then put in a great performance but those big games might now be every 4-5 on average. And as mentioned above red cards are becoming a regular occurrence.

He owes the county nothing, he’s given us some great days and moments and next year will mark 10 years involved but it feels like we should really be seeing him in his prime right now.

https://www.wlrfm.com/sport/fourmilewater-mount-sion-317936

Match report is a bit light ,apparently they were down to 12

It was a disappointing night for Mount Sion - who ended the game with 12 players with Mikey Daykin, Jamie Gleeson and Austin Gleeson all receiving red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Both Mt Sion and Austin just looked off the pace. When he was involved he did some good things, at least two puck outs caught, two points from play and a brilliant cut over the bar too. But from fairly early you could see he wasn't at ease with himself and his work rate dropped. I didn't see the incident with his red card as the play had moved on. I don't think there is any question he is a starter for club and county once fit and available but I also think he needs to put himself in a position where he can deliver. I do think last night the obvious place to put him was in the centre back position as Luke O Brien was playing there as a free man and Austin would have been far more suited. Though the whole set up of Mt Sion was very strange last night.

Fair play to Fourmilewater though, I thought Jamie Barron was excellent. The lung bursting 70 yard runs are far less common but he got on a world of ball. Sean Walsh looked like he deserves game time in the league for Waterford next year as well.

And I must echo the sentiment around St Mollerans. Well organised and a good surface.

fresh off the presses

• Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Abbeyside 0-12 Ballygunner 0-6 half time

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hopontop

Fulltime Abbeyside 0-16 Ballygunner 1-21.

Ballygunner outscored Abbeyside 1-15 to 0-04 in the second half. Will be interesting to read the match report.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41194327.html

Ballygunner fight back, Austin Gleeson sent off as 12-man Sion slump

Ballygunner had to dig deep to extend their unbeaten run to 51 championship games

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unbeknownist

1 Ballygunner

2 De la Salle/Roanmore

3 Fourmilewater/Lismore

4 Mount Sion/Dungarvan/Abbeyside/Passage

5 Clonea

6 Tallow/Dunhill

ill have to try and get a power rankings going 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

ah here, these excuses are pathetic. what’s he at breaking a Hurley off his leg anyway? He’s 28 now not 18. His disciplinary record is embarrassing at this stage. How many times is that he’s been sent off in his career? I hope no one has been counting for his sake

• Advertisement

Round 2 fixtures

Any reason why they're all front loaded next weekend, including a Thursday night game and nothing on a Sunday?

Anywhere online that do match reports? Very little from what I've seen and haven't come across anything covering the Roanmore v Lismore fixture.

Any standout performances the weekend? Was a certain D .Fitz in attendance??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Camogie All Ireland on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

Yes I'm going. Fingers crossed there will be a good Waterford crowd and hopefully we'll see history being made!

Up the Deise!

Seems a big crowd travelling up. Extra trains been put on

Great too see and let's hope they win it

How many players are from the team who won the All Ireland intermediate title ?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

Return Train is booked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

8 years ago now, so not an awful lot. Beth Carton, Lorraine Bray & Niamh Rockett were definitely involved. Iona Heffernan possibly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

The Davy effect ?

maybe but tbf there releasing so many different ranges so quickly

We'll have a new jersey for 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Id say their trying to flog as much as they can in the week leading the AI camogie final to make room for the 2024 gear.

Advertisement