Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the rest of the country dislike Dublin so much?

Options

Comments

• If you ordered a flat white in parts of West Cork they’d be giving you looks of pity, implying you’re some kind of unsophisticated philistine who usually goes to Costa or Starbucks.

They expect you to be ordering maybe a vacuum brew with fair trade organic oat milk or a cup of Barry’s Classic Blend (loose leaf obviously) and to have an opinion on yoga pillow fillings…

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Dublin has both. And lots of better choices also.

Nightlife is crap in France. Food is good if you like French food. Not so great if you want anything else.

But the weather will be better. But then maybe too hot?

If we had weather for the whole summer like we did in June, we would be doing a roaring trade in ireland.

Hotel prices are nuts though. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve lived there, can’t speak for all of France and is probably not wise to as per your generalisation , but the nightlife on the Riviera / Côte D’Azur is excellent. Paris too. Pubs, clubs and restaurants open till all hours, something for everyone..

Italian food, is, also great if you like Italian food… the Riviera has many different cuisines, influences and France on the whole is diverse. More so then here.

its just by and large not good value here. Unfortunately… days of me going to the Kilkenny Roots festival are gone, just insanely priced…which is a shame. But Kilkenny seems just to have gone bananas.

Dublin is expensive too, but unfortunately it has a lot going for it and that’s why so many people from around the country and further afield want to call it home…. Which also makes prices high like most capitals.. supply and demand… for housing, accommodation, services, amenities , and so on.

For a country our size, the benefits should be spread out, alas, Dublin gets it all.

Country is a **** joke. Our greed and inability to tackle crime will absolutely cripple tourism. I've no holiday planned until Christmas but for sure would prefer to stay home in Dublin with them prices and just have a few decent meals out, bit of live music somewhere and hike the Wicklow mountains.

Nice is a very beautiful city but the service levels in the bars and restaurants are the worst I ever encountered. Other than that, can't fault it!

• I couldn’t agree with that sweeping statement about French nightlife. Having lived in Paris and Lyon, it has absolutely vibrant nightlife and has amazing bars, cafes, nightclubs and even makes use of public spaces as part of nightlife - Lyon for example uses the banks of the Rhone and has several amazing barges on it operating as bars and clubs.

Dublin feels like a big village with pubs in comparison! The nightclubs in Ireland are very unsophisticated. I would go as far as saying Ireland is the one with the very tame nightlife - despite the promises of change, everything still closes early and most of the activity is bars. They’re often excellent bars, but Dublin, Cork or any other part of Ireland can’t really be making statements like that about French nightlife!

On the flip side, I prefer dining in Ireland. French food is good, but it’s not that good at diverse casual dining, but it is changing a lot in recent years. Ireland somewhat has the edge on quirky, new and experimental sometimes. France can be quite traditional about cuisine, which has its good and bad sides. It has a lot to be traditional about though!

Ive been to plenty of places in France and never enjoyed the nightlife, but each to their own.

More of a cafe culture there. Which isnt a bad thing. Just different.

Didnt realise that Kilkenny was so pricey now. Dublin is expensive. its true. But it is also a great place to be.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

Proper clubbing is very poor in Ireland. That is true.

But no place does pubs better than Dublin and its always so easy to get talking to people in a bar here.

I guess thats why other countries try to emulate the irish pub the world over. Lets be honest, the irish pub in a french town is usually where the fun is at! And we all know they are crap pubs compared to what we have here.

For pubs and general friendliness, Dublin has a fantastic nightlife, not just in the centre but right across the town. I agree that the late opening should further improve the club scene though as that aspect is lacking for a city the size of Dublin.

Agree on the restaurants. I'd much prefer going for a meal in Dublin over a french city because the french restaurants are 80% french cuisine.

They do it well. of course. But it isnt as diverse as you would expect in France and I have been all over the country.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

OP, I wonder if you're trolling because you're asking "Why does the rest of the country dislike Dublin so much?" while then referring to the rest of the country as "culchies", which as you're well aware, for many people is a pejorative term for a rural dweller and for others, mainly urbanites, simply inaccurate. If you really want to examine the subject and get objective answers then you would need to write a far better opening post (and title).

Post edited by Vita nova on

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I suggest you re-read my opening post. I know not all culchies hate dubs, I called that out specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

And you're still referring to people outside Dublin as "culchies", you must be trolling or else awfully ignorant. Ironically considering your thread title, you're the sort of Dubliner that makes people dislike Dubliners, fortunately most Dubliners I know are not like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

You read like something from a Ross O’Carroll Kelly novel thinking locally produced food with sophisticated names detailing the mundane un-diverse elements gone into them raises your intellect and tastes above that of someone who likes foreign produce or a wider selection of mass produced products via supermarket chains. Loosely based on notions espoused by Karl Marx that local produced goods are better because it fosters local economy. The reality is that it results in poverty, lack of choice and inferior production methods. 

You wrote a post here earlier dissecting the various dialects within Dublin as if it was beneath you and you had it all figured out where these influences came from whereas in reality these influences were evident across the country. Can I ask you where in Dublin you are from? You needn’t answer that I already know. Your attempts at superiority and manipulation are as transparent as your identity. Someone on here said some in certain sections of society like to divide and conquer. You are one of those who fawns over stone and straw hut peasants and incline them towards gods because they are more Irish having never left these shores in generations despite likely having less diverse genes and are therefore likely less intelligent. 

I grew up in Dublin and my first experience of a country person was in school where he said he hoped the football team failed because he only liked GAA. His father was from Clare. It was that theft and poisonous envy towards others success that sat with me. But I realised he was jealous and let it go. Only to understand the school in which I was, fostered a love of anti Dublin sentiment due to DeVelera working there and all things countrywide taking precedence in some sort of inverted snobbery. I understood by these people hating themselves they could sing peaens to more numerous people outside the city and rely on them to catapult them into power and some day gain revenge. It still goes on to this day. 

Can I just say people from Blackrock College are the least intelligent, least diverse, most mundane, least intelligent manipulators in this country with notions far above their intelligence level because most of them are beastial giants with peanut sized brains. Their assertions of intellect due to having elaborately sounding names for food locally produced or a dissection of accents shows their limited array of intelligence and ignorance. It is all over Ross OCarroll Kelly articles and novels the same topics ad infinitum. Moreover, these people use the least intelligent propaganda methods such as these novels to keep themselves in power. You just went into minute detail about it twice and you think these notions of inverted poverty and Marxism elevates you above like you have it all figured out. You use these stereotypes to manipulate but it exposes your lack of imagination being so limited to these two minor details.

In short, you are far far beneath anything inside or outside Ireland. In a way, as a Dub I am delighted globalism and immigration inflames your sense of inferiority and this is one of the main reasons I am delighted by the advent of it in Ireland. It will seep into the provinces eventually and your notions of superiority will soon be null and void.

• You’ve read a lot of utter nonsense into a few tongue in cheek posts there.

You can dare or “daren’t” all you like but it’s rather remarkable you’re the one calling me smug.

I also did not dissect accents in Dublin other than to say that the D4 accent has nothing to do with D4 and is a modern pop culture addition that goes way beyond Dublin.

You know nothing about me at all.

I won’t be responding to any of that bizarre essay that seems to be based on reading something other than my posting history.

He was there from early childhood, and only involved in Dublin politics. Seems much more Dublin than Mayo.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Your typical Dub honestly don't give two flying f***s what folks from other counties think of them or the capital.

Maybe that's the problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

I’ve read nothing into it. Your shallow analysis of life on the island of Ireland had some glaring deficiencies insofar as they were stereotypes which I pointed out to you.

I know enough about you to suggest you’re shallow sociological analysis doesn’t make you superior.

I never said dare or “daren’t” in any of my posts so why you would quote me saying so points to panic and confusion on your behalf.

Your quickfire sociological analysis of accents being “grand” and “old world” suggested you descended from that patronage and sounded pompous if truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Can't believe the amount of crap answers when the answer is just one simple word. Jealousy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Perhaps it because you are so vain you think the country spends a lot of time thinking about you or the because you have a few encounters with a couple of the usual nuts you extrapolate it across the rest of the country or you mistake social media for the real world… in any case you are just not the important.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

All i got from this bizarre pseudo intellectual word salad is you dont seem to understand ross o carroll kelly is satire.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

I think Dublin is great, some brilliant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don’t mind that you think everyone wants to be a Dub, it’s the way you say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Hooliganism at GAA games also !! drunken Kerry fans throwing bottles etc at Dublin fans on Hill 16 last Sunday

A video of a GAA supporter attacking another on Hill 16 during yesterday's All-Ireland SHC semi-final has been widely shared on social media.

The young man, who was wearing a Clare jersey, was seen striking out at another unsighted spectator - who was presumably from Kilkenny - narrowly missing a young female Kilkenny supporter in the process.

The incident comes a week after footage of a separate altercation between Armagh and Monaghan fans during the All-Ireland SFC quarter-final went viral. It prompted a warning from the GAA that Hill 16 could become a seated area to ensure there is no repeat of the fighting which broke out on the famous Croke Park terrace.

• I didn’t say anything about grand or old world nor did I do any sociological analysis.

Whatever you’re replying to it’s not my posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I'd say you're the type of guy people walk away from 30 seconds after you open your mouth. A big stream of pretentious and convoluted bollixology that for all its bells, whistles and "let me see if this word has something else in muh thesaurus" says absolutely nothing of note or value. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Even Dubliners are starting to hate going into Dublin from the suburbs etc.

O’Connell street now is a disgrace and no father would let their daughter use it after dark even for a burger and fries now.

Seriously the amount of people out of their mind on drugs there is like something out of a zombie movie.

Further south in the City it’s beautiful though, have family near the Aviva and overall it’s beautiful and no trouble at all.

Gotta pump up the Police soon Leo.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

"Even Dubliners are starting to hate going into Dublin from the suburbs etc."

Don’t believe all you read on boards.ie and Facebook, for every one person claiming that there’s a hundred that don’t. The city centre is packed every weekend.

I’m shocked at the cultural disinterest visitors have for Dublin. It is after all, the cultural epicentre of the country and not one of you can recognise this. Not a mentions of the theatres, venues, galleries, museums, pubs, parks, beaches, historical tours etc… and it’s all about Supermacs.

• Advertisement

I don't get when people say "Dublin thinks it's a capital like Paris or London but it's really just a small backwater". Standard "I'm Irish but so much less of a pleb than other Irish people" stuff. Nobody thinks it's like Paris or London, but it's obviously not a backwater either. And it's bigger than plenty of cities globally.

Advertisement