Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Over the past 12 months, Ireland had its wettest October on record in 2022, its wettest March on record earlier this year and now its wettest July on record.

July was wetter than the 3 months of winter combined at Dublin airport(131.4 mm winter total) Winter was drier than normal everywhere except for 1 station(Belmullet), February was very dry.

Phoenix Park recording both its longest absolute drought (26 days) and dry spell (32 days). Malin Head, Co Donegal had a dry spell between May 21st and June 16th lasting 27 days. Malin followed that by having its wettest July on record.

It really has been feast or famine in terms of rainfall over this past year. I’m sure most would say feast after this July. For 3 of the previous 10 months to break their monthly rainfall records, winter drier than average except for belmullet, warmest June on record and no windstorms worth talking about it’s been a strange year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Just back from a week in northern Italy where we had 7 days of 24-28 degrees in mostly clear blue sky days, had 2 cloudy days but it was still very pleasant. Really helped to lift the mood after those woeful few weeks of rain. Hoping now for even a week or two of decent weather at home by the end of September just to wrap up the 'summer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Disgusting day Cork City lashing out of the heavens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Trending a bit drier during the past few runs. Rain each day but not much. Prob 1 to 5mm most days and early next week there is a "risk" of fully dry days in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Gonzo, low to mid 20's would indeed be something to get excited about, that's nearly heatwave territory! The reason a lot of people rave about the second half of June is because we had those temperatures though a bit unsettled and cloudy. If we got that type of weather back again it would be bonus territory. Low to mid 20s is summer. The problem with a crap Irish summer is that summer completely leaves the building and real feel is either gone forward to October or back to April, albeit with long days.

Absolutely horrible day again in Tralee.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Dryest June ever.

Wettest July ever.

I guess that just means we had and average June/July. Or an average mid june/mid July.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I believe June 2023 was the hottest June on record in Ireland.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looking at the monthly data, there are some that fared better. Sherkin Island in West Cork had 119mm against a LTA of 78mm for example. A rare month it would see 30mm less rain than Dublin Airport....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Same couldnt be said for July. Same rule. Average the two of them and you probably get a normal 2 months. The weather doesnt recognize numbers on a calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I definitely feel that we’ve had much worse July’s in the past, at least down here in Cork.

OK, it did rain a lot, but I do think even on many of those wet days, it was quite warm, which until around 10 years ago, would have been very unusual (at least from personal experience). I remember as a kid and teenager, I would never have been out in shorts and t shirt on a wet or even cloudy day, but now seems to be standard most summers. Also, the bone chilling wind that used to be a standard every day in summer, even the warmest days, doesn’t seem to be as much a feature as it used to be.

Just what I’ve been observing.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

167.5mm for July for me in north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Winters night out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Are you for real ? its been disgusting in Cork all year except for the odd day

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

A great June, a horrendous July. August not looking great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Torrential downpours atm ,west Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

That's crazy my auntie was in torino and got about 5 out of the 10 days she was there of thunderstorms I was like did you go for a thunderstorm holiday (which I would and will eventually do I love them ) no way at all she said just lightning storms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I don't think it's the weather, I think people's dress habits have changed. 10 or 15 years ago people tended to dress for the weather so if it was cool and wet you got the long trousers and the rain gear. Nowadays you see loads of people dressed for summer even though the weather couldn't be more unsummer. It's possibly because more people are now going on sun holidays with flights to sun destinations like Malaga, Alicante and Faro available in many regional airports and flights are jam packed. So Irish people are more attuned to better weather than they used to be and more international than they used to be and dress for summer because it's summer.

I'm just slightly west of you in Tralee and I find it chilly as well as damp. As chilly as those awful summers 10-15 years ago. I adore my summer clothes but have had to abandon them and have to put on the heating sometimes at night.😫

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Working in Dublin Airport at the moment. The last 90 mins has been torrential. Water pooling on the ground. Incessant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Welcome to August, basically a continuation of July. An absolutely disgusting night out there! Just got off the phone with some colleagues in California - would depress you hearing about them enjoying their days. I may ask for a temporary transfer next summer. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup 13.5mm after 13hours. Only 173mm left to equal July. It can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yes july was so bad it cancels out any good weather we got...it was so bad that we end up with a worse than average summer we normally get 🙃

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a bit like one week of cold weather in the winter doesn't make it a great winter. We've barely had 2 weeks worth of summer weather here in Meath since June 1st after you factor in chilly days and wet days. At least we had some lovely warm and sunny days during weeks 2 and 3 of June and then there was that nice weekend at the start of July which when I add it together is probably better than we did during summer 2020 which had barely any nice days. However as you say July 2023 has been so bad that it far outweighs the good weather during the middle part of June. Here we are at the start of August and we've had a night of deluges and the rain still beating down outside so not a good start to August at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No matter how much you try to downplay it, the end of May and most of June was glorious all along the west coast. It was the hottest June on record. It was bone dry for 5 weeks in Galway. That alone was wonderful.

July was terrible but June was exceptional.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

As has been discussed so many times here we did not get anything like 5 weeks of warm/hot summer weather in the east with low temperatures over the first 10 days of June with the exception of 2 days where it did get up to 18C. Final 10 days of June were very unsettled as the dry spell broke. What happened in May has nothing to do with summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Yep totally agree; I took a trip to Galway that month and it was literally like stepping into a different climate compared to here in the East; Salthill beach felt like being on the Med lol

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Which further reinforces what an utter crap summer we've had here in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not just the West Coast,we had the same here in tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

Nor did we get 5 weeks in mid West either. June Bank Holiday weekend to 20th / 21st of June was glorious, that was it without the rose tinted glasses.

Not being pessimistic, it is what it is. A crap summer in a country renowned for poor summers.

Advertisement