Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If the story appeals to you, I'd recommend trying the OG. The Midgar part is so well paced compared to the remake, you'll fly through it. But I acknowledge it's a PS1 game so not easy to jump into :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I see Wreckfest is included in PS+ Extra. Maybe some of use could play it in multiplayer for a smashing time?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jaysus, even I'd nearly become social for that. The current online is always dominated by someone with the fastest car who knows the tracks inside out, or bellends who are just there to grief you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Advertisement

If there isin't a Wreckfest thread going, I will set one up. We can discuss multiplayer in that then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started Resident Evil 4 remake again on PC. Started on the highest difficulty as recommended by the game and I've really struggled with the game and getting my ass kicked. Seems like 3 slaps and I was dead which happened a lot. Couldn't aim for **** either. Got as far as getting the rifle and then realised my issue when it was so hard to aim with the rifle, aim assist was turned off (I was playing with controller).

So I go into the options and find aim assist and it's greyed out saying it's not available on the difficulty I was playing. It's absolutely ridiculous when third and first person shooters on a gamepad are totally unplayable without aim assist, as I was finding out with Resi 4.

So I had to set up keyboard and mouse controls and it's made such a massive difference. I'm still **** at the game but the deaths are all my fault and not due to frustrations with the controls. It's really transformed the game.

TL;DR noobpads suck.

I saw that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is coming to Game Pass on the 18th of August. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sickened thh. It's just 40 on psn but goddamn, that's fine get for gamepass, looks like a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a bit of time this week so finally decided to try something I've tried and failed to do several times before: actually play and complete Myst. I had it as a kid / teenager and never made it beyond the starting area, instead just walking around haphazardly pulling switches. But a lot of games I love are directly influenced by Myst, so saw the modern remade version on Humble Bundle and said I'd give it another whirl, after a failed effort at RealMyst a few years back.

Finished it tonight and not sure why it was ever a big issue as a kid. It's actually fairly handy and logical, one or two annoying puzzles aside. Lots of solutions are handed to you on a plate and you only really need to figure out how to implement them. Once you unlock the first additional 'age' you're pretty much flying. Only took around four hours total to finish up. I did consult a guide three times: once when I was wandering around aimlessly due to my own stupidity (failed to notice an extra level to explore), once to clarify something on the main island, and finally to finish a really annoying maze bit near the end which is built on sound cues. Figured out two of the four sound clues and wasn't arsed with the rest. An empty word doc on the second monitor helped keep track of some info, as well as one or two smartphone reference pics. There is an in-built camera which is handy - seems to be primarily for VR - but it's a bit clunky to keep accessing when you have to input a bunch of symbols in a particular order.

Mostly I really enjoyed the puzzles - lots of weird contraptions and levers that open new contraptions and levers. The remake makes it feel as modern as can be tbh, without fundamentally changing the game. Its age mostly shows up in the form of its barely-there nonsense story (although I do like the weird FMV clips) and the lack of thematic substance to it all, which some more recent puzzle games have more capably managed.

I'm not sure if the full modern 3D design helped, but definitely found it a fairly welcoming experience with only modest roadblocks. Mostly found the puzzles intuitive and logical and satisfying once you take the time to figure out what the game is communicating. The maze can still go to hell, though.

Tempted to try Riven as that was included in the bundle and seems highly regarded by fans. But a proper remake in the style of the Myst one is on the way so may hold off til that arrives in a year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Always was out off by must because the British press just hated it and it was the butt of jokes comparing it to a boring holiday slide show your aunt would show the family after a week in the canaries.

Must give it a go myself. As for riven the hg101 podcast really wasn't keen on it. I think they found the backtracking in it and the sheer size of the area obnoxious in a way that it doesn't hold up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s definitely always been a visceral hatred of the game in some quarters, which I struggle to understand.

There seems to be some who hate it just because there was no real ‘action’ in it - tbh, I think the game was ahead of its time in the way the medium has evolved in more recent years. I struggle to see it as pretentious - perhaps at the time it was seen as such relative to other games out there, but these days there’s not much more to it than stroll around a quiet, isolated island solving puzzles. The FMV stuff is a bit naff, but no more so than a lot of other games from around the same era.

There’s a more interesting group who seemed aggrieved its popularity helped kill off the traditional Lucasarts-style adventure game. I can understand in terms of how the quality writing in those games never really made the leap over to the more graphically-intensive full 3D rendered adventures (at least not at the time), but I think the puzzles in Myst - while undoubtedly contrived - are much more intuitive and logical than the weird ‘combine items in right spot’ puzzles of the more ‘traditional’ point n click games.

Anyway, I can certainly see why it is ‘not for everyone’, but the anger it seems to conjure up seems disproportionate to the pretty harmless puzzle game said ire is directed at. The only thing that really annoyed me about it was trying to figure out which version to play as there’s so bloody many of them!

Yeah it's a weird one. All the UK magazines I read were super into neogeo and Capcom fighters and the PC 3D action games that doom kicked off so looked down on the game for being boring and having no action.

I have seen people lament that it killed the lucasart point and click games but they never sold that well, Sierra games despite being inferior outsold Lucas art games massively and the rise of 3D action games on PC made them unpopular.

The final nail in the coffin was a change in management at lucasarts where they initially had a mandate to just not lose money which was then changed to make a profit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Every time I think of point and click adventure games, I now think of this video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

I get a huge belt of nostalgia with games like myst. Had it on the computer when I was young, hadn’t a clue what was going on or what to do, but I loved exploring the island. Must go back to it! I do remember seeing a video ages ago of some guy finishing it in about 2 minutes.

I remember I had 11th Hour as well which refused to run on my PC, I spent more time fiddling around with drivers and registry settings than I did actually playing the game

Yeah I do have to say I really did like discovering the islands (which are all meaningfully different and distinct) and the little bits of environmental storytelling you discover in them. While it doesn’t really add up to much of substance, it’s still an important step in interactive, graphics-driven exploration.

Definitely worth trying the 2021 version if you bounced off it in the past. As said, I never was able to get anywhere in the original CD-ROM version but fairly breezed through it this week.

So the CoD4 multiplayer servers have finally been shut down.... On the Wii.

Mad it was going for so long. It's a legit great version of the game with great controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Picked up Dredge (currently on sale on psn for 20) and it's an utter joy to play. The gameplay loop (fishing, upgrading, exploring, quests), the music , the graphics, the panic getting caught out at night, all sublime. The amount of times i tried to call it a night just to say 1 more fishing spot, 1 more quest, oh what's over there?! Highly recommend it.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah it was the first game I picked up on my steam deck and I loved it. Doesnt overstay it's welcome and has enough about it to keep someone entertained throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

BBC Radio Ulster recently put out a 6 episode podcast series about games and tech in Ireland (mostly NI) that I'm sure will interest some here. It's hosted by Chipzel, the chiptune artist from Strabane who did the soundtracks for Super Hexagon, Dicey Dungeons, and more.

There's interviews with some NI based game devs, VR in sports science, streamers and vox pop. My favourite interview was with Eímear Noone, a conductor/composer from Galway who talks about working on MGS, WOW, and Overwatch.

It's only 3 hours in all, I hope they do another series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Sounds great. Speaking of gaming podcasts, My Perfect Console is excellent. It's done in the style of Desert Island Discs but with games. Guests pick five games that mean something to them to immortalise on their own fictional console.

The former Gamestop I used to go to is now a shop that sells fragrant candles and plastic flowers.

Pft, that was only 2 of the products GameStop sold.

Fired up DmC5SE on the PS5. I tried playing the HD collection but it's too old so I gave e up fairly quickly. Did the backstory video after trying to figure out which settings would be the best. Played about an hour, and the writing was so cringe I had to stop. Googling seems to indicate the writing was always bad, but it was bad enough to stop me playing. Forspoken wasn't as bad!

So I'm downloading The Witcher 3.

If you are playing a devil may cry game for the story you are doing it wrong.

All the story you need is you have a bunch of mugs you have to beat up and you get graded better the more stylish you do it.

In fact I like the writing. It knows it's nonsense so you just let the nonsense wash over you. It's a blast just seeing how mental it gets. I mean how can you not love Cerberus trying to give Dante an big emo boss speech while he treats him like a puppy.

And of you skip the HD collection you are missing out on DMC3 which is incredible.

.... DMC2 didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah as much as I love the DMC games, bar interactions between Dante & Vergil, the writing is pure nonsense. But from the third game on, it's intentional nonsense. It knows it's cheesy, so tries to go even beyond cheesy.

But the story and writing doesn't really matter (again, as much as I love the games). The gameplay can be absolutely terrific, especially as you unlock more abilities. DMC5SE especially has Legendary Dark Knight mode (huge amount of enemies on screen) and Vergil's gameplay is just sublime, especially as you can play the whole campaign as him rather than switching between the other three, which let's you get into more of a rhythm in gameplay. Can't remember if you have to complete the story with the other three before unlocking Vergil first or not. Enemy design can be fantastic, bosses are fun, level design is generally great, and overall the games are just a joy to play.

Except DMC2, which as Retro points out, actually doesn't exist. I think they included something called DMC2 on the HD Collection, but it was just a fanmade thing made by someone who collected enough crisp packets to win a competition, and who really likes guns, Diesel clothing, and awful games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A blind Street Fighter player won a match at EVO. Great to see the advances made in accessibility features these days to allow people to play games.

The correct order to play the DMC series:

DMC1 - DMC3 - Bayonetta - Bayonetta 2 - Hi-Fi Rush

DMC5 and Bayonetta 3 are good too, but they’re no Bayonetta 2.

Maybe its just me, but I need something to spur me on other than combat. It doesn't have to be good (Forspoken), but it gives me a reason to play other than getting a high score. But DmC is Kingdom Hearts level of cheese, and its just too cheesy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The big hollywood strike is avoiding games right now as the union outright said member's weren't barred from that.

But something I noticed is that after the last failed strike they'd on games the deal (where the accepted the deal they refused 11 months earlier) they got then was for 2 years and then extended twice. That deal expired last November but no mention of another extension, and Union rates still mention the 2022 date.

So if no easy peasy extension again, are they just delaying another strike so as to not have started the Hollywood one on the back foot of an existing strike.

Advertisement