Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Asbolutely awful morning here in Dublin, it started lashing around 10pm last night, and I'm not sure if it has stopped at all. Not as heavy now as last night, but it's just grey, dark and miserable here now, pretty much the tale of the last five weeks. Don't care how good it was in the West during May/June, all in all it's been an absolutely woeful Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Next year we'll have people telling us this summer was amazing though. We need some kind of sticky stating that Summer '23 was absolutely brutal so we can point people to it next year when they're telling us it was weeks and weeks of sunny warm weather. Irish people are notorious for only remembering the good parts for some reason, I suppose it's a good mindset to have in this horrible climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Dreadful start to August after a horrendous July. Persistent rain. The lawns resemble meadows.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

15.6mm now so far in August. It's hard to be the wettest August on record though because Ireland has so many wet August's the bar is high. Even our average rain here for a typical August is 101mm our typical July is 93mm

So no rain between now and the end and we'd be at 15 percent. Still we are 25 percent of last years August after 1 day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The squelch sounds are back in my garden. The drainage problem which I had during the winter and Spring was fixed during the dry spell in June so the constant running water out the back is no longer a thing. However it has rained so much over the past 5 weeks that the ground is now saturated by default and is very noticeable this morning after a night of deluges.

Just to add the crap weather of the past 5 weeks has now taken over much of Europe, the cooler than average and very wet conditions is now affecting much of France, Germany, the low countries and indeed Scandinavia as well as the UK and Ireland. Summer has now been very much restricted to the southern third of Europe at this moment in time.

I was hoping to go to the Netherlands for a short break this August but have binned that idea as the weather there is forecast to be every bit as rubbish as here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

That rain last night from 10pm to at least 2am was shocking heavy (Dublin). Still raining, don't think it has stopped since, just fine misty stuff now. Quite cold, and breezy. Very miserable. Casement must nearly have the same rainfall for August already, as for the whole month last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gonzo, you said the last 10 days of June were unsettled yet you seemed oddly happy here on June 24th.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Interesting Met Eireann discussion now on Radio 1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

June 24th must have been one of the better days during the final 10 days of the month. I can't remember that day other than look at the temperature and it was around 22C. Now that final 10 days of the month were mostly warm as we still had some left over warm air to tap into but from what I remember it rained most days. We ended up with about 50mm of rainfall, the vast majority of that fell in the final week of June where the warm weather was offset by the rather unsettled conditions. I do remember the final day of June was when the cool and unsettled pattern really got going, that day was a chilly wet write off not too different from the awful conditions outside right now.

It’s been a summer of 2 half’s for me. Never experienced such fine weather early on but it’s been awful for a long time now. Most evenings are like oct/nov. We really need dry weather for at least a week or 2 farming wise soon.

• Advertisement

You nearly liked June 26th 😂

I bet you'd take one of those days back now!

Be wary of Horizon Happiness Gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Mushrooms sprouting everywhere in the estate I live in. Unfortunately not the magic kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I think the storms were more of an inland thing, where I was on the coast near Genoa. On Tuesday night there was a massive storm visible from where I was but the area I was in remained dry. It was an incredible storm and just seemed to go on relentlessly.

There was another night of storms inland on Friday but we just had a cloudy day with oppressive humidity. I was relieved because the Friday before we flew Milan had really intense storms with tennis ball sized hail, a tornado, and an ice river running down a street. Incredible stuff really, but we thankfully were completely unaffected.

I would take the first week of June in a heartbeat over the utter crap we have now. 1st week of June wasn't great here alot of cloud and mostly mid teens but at least it was dry. There is nothing worse than the weather we have going on right now. The final 10 days of June while it was unsettled at least it was warm at times especially when the sun came out between the showers. The past 3 weekends along with certain other days during July and the weather today is the stuff that would make you book a flight to Malaga without any regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The fact that they announced yesterday there was 4x the rain in July 2023 versus July 2022, sums up this summer.

Will be interesting to see the rainfall totals for Summer 2023 vs Summer 2022. We are around double the summer 2022 total already and with another month of 'summer' to go the total for Summer 2023 could go up quite a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

It was the warmest June since 1976 in the East. Rainfall was below average and sunshine above.

Yes, July ended up woeful. But you really seem hell bent on convincing yourself and others that June was an awful month in the East too. It was an excellent month (by Irish standards). It was even a decent month by north European standards.

You always let your current mood/pessimism cloud your memory of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

As poor as it has been (relative to what u’d expect for July) I wouldn’t say it has ever really been chilly unless you’re standing by a beach in a sea breeze. I’ve been out on my bike all summer and have only ever needed a sleeveless underlayer and a short sleeve cycling jersey to feel comfortable, even on days when I’m tipping around at a slow pace.

The notion that anyone is wearing summer clothes because they go abroad on holidays is a very strange one.

Also it’s definitely not heating on in the evening weather unless you’re just incapable of getting warm regardless of the temperature.

Based on the postings from some on this thread, we either have a different climate in Cork, or maybe we’re just hardier folk down here 😎

I'm really getting tired of discussing June and I'm sure others are too. I never said June was rubbish but what I did say was June in the east was not as good as what they had on the west coast. Opening 10 days of June couldn't have been more different between say Galway and here in Meath. The east itself also had some variations depending on location. I could be wrong about this but I think coastal parts of Leinster probably did better with the sunshine during the first week compared to more inland areas. I remember I had to put the heating on at least twice during the first week of June on some of the cloudy and chilly days were we struggled to get much above 13C.

It was a very warm month once we got the first week out of the way, It was weeks 2 and 3 of June that brought the temperature anomaly way above the average for the entire month as well as the warm night time values. The final week of June wasn't great as there was alot of rain that week and while temperatures were still warm at times during the final week, things became not great as we eased into the current unsettled pattern.

So what I'm saying is the final 10 days of June weren't great, it was the start of a very unsettled pattern. July was absolute awful and here we are on August 2nd and it's still miserable outside so I think I deserve my opinion to be not overly happy about summer 2023. There are people who love this sort of summer but I'm not one of them. Everyone's opinion about the weather, good or bad deserves to be heard, we all have different opinions on what we think of the weather and our experiences of the weather can be very different depending on where you live in this small country and early June was a perfect example of that.

I only live 25km from Dublin and there has been quite a few times the weather between here in Meath and Dublin can be very different. It could be raining here yet sunny in Dublin and vice versa. There has been times Dublin gets thunderstorms and we don't, same with snow etc. Rainfall amounts per month can also be quite different between Dunsany vs Phoenix Park. Not a huge distance involved but regional variations do happen which is why all our viewpoints are different based on personal experience of where we live.

Yes! Same in my estate. Quite a few in my back garden and all the greens and grass verges have them.

• Advertisement

If you had the heat on during the hottest month on record, I'd have a look at the insulation in your house.

Dunsany mean temp was 2.5 degrees above average for June.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

I disagree, and as has already been pointed out here on many occassions by Gonzo and others, the West got the majority of the great weather that was experienced in Ireland during the second half of May and first half of June. Dublin while dry was noticeably cooler and nowhere near as sunny as the western half of the country. And sadly as we all know too well, it's just been a complete s**t show since the end of June, with no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Still it was the warmest June ever recorded at your local station dunsany albeit 30 years of data. Rainfall below average. Sunshine above average everywhere. Casement had more sunshine than Shannon in June, casement only had 1 dull day for the entire month, belmullet had 6. The west was warmer yes but the revisionism of June on here is beyond boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here you go with 2021 and 2020 as a bonus. The conditional formatting highlights the driest and wettest easier of the 4, relative for each individual station. Dublin Airport, Phoenix Park, Oak Park, Shannon Airport and Dunsany had more rain in July 2023 than the entirety of summer 2022 combined. Dunsany had as much as 71.7mm more millimetres of rain in July 2023 than summer 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Cork City lovely sunny day

Nah it's raining

Insulation is fairly poor in my house and it costs a lot to get it right. The cold from the winter usually doesn't leave the house till June but as we had that chilly easterly for weeks on end the house stayed cool on the inside and on those chilly days early June it seemed like it was becoming colder on the inside again as we had very little warmth up to that point. Weeks 2, 3 and 4 were far warmer than week 1 so thats why we ended up 2.5 above average. Similar happened in the UK, I remember London being cloudy and 12C at times during the opening week of June, this flipped by week 2 and they ended up with a very warm almost record breaking June. At this point I think we should just let June go and focus on August and see how to we get out of this awful unsettled pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

The pessimism is interesting to read on this thread. Best option this summer, keep an eye on the models and get out when it’s middling to good. Achill was lovely yesterday, yes there was an odd shower here and there but it was warm, no sea breeze. Keel beach was very busy and the sea was weirdly warm even compared to last year, we all went in for a swim despite not bringing wetsuits. It’s nice in the West now that the rain has cleared. Yes there might be showers later but out and about now for a few hours until then. You just have to work around the conditions, cannot control Mother Nature! It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No excuses, it is crap, dark, dreary and depressing. The nights are slowly drawing in, back to school stuff in the shops, Hallowee'n stuff creeping in, the Christmas thread will perk up any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Spot on Gonzo. I remember you saying at the start of June while it’s bright that breeze will make it cooler which it was unless in a sheltered area. I’m in Dun Laoghaire. It been one poxy summer.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

The August v July rainfall competition continues in the next few days. Doubt Saturday will have that though

Advertisement