Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's hottest day since records began

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

No, it is a bit like everyone falling over themselves and saying "its pretty hot in the med this summer, let's call it global boiling and scare the shite out of everyone", the point being that we should not confuse the weather with climate change but this is precisely what all the fanatics have done in recent weeks.

Those who claim that recent weather is proof of anything are lying to you. However the global mean average surface temperature is a global climate variable (not weather) and it is going to show that this was the hottest year on record since the El-Nino is very likely to see the remainder of the year be as hot as the start of the year.

However what can be said about the weather is that climate change makes exceptional weather patterns far more likely - so the hottest June on record followed by the wettest July on record (in Ireland) are entirely consistent with what climate science predicts for the weather. Climate change is disturbing settled weather patterns across the globe so we continually see weather records been broken in every corner of the globe on a near daily basis.

Climate change destroys the normal we have come to depend on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

I've read that the hottest temperature on record in Europe occurred in Sicily in 2021 but as Sicily is an island, it's not Europe so @Akrasia & @Shoog , can you tell where the real European high temperature occurred as everywhere I check states that it was Sicily but you've both told everyone here that can't be true due to Sicily being an island and is therefore not Europe.........exact same situation as is the case for Ireland.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we should not confuse the weather with climate, says the man quoting current weather conditions in a specific location at us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What nonsense?

Two posters who are pushing the narrative on this thread can’t get basic geography correct? That nonsense?

Have you figured out what continent you live on yet?

How about you answer my point instead of hiding?

Greenies do this all the time- when they’re found out they go silent and ignore the original conversation they initiated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

October 2022 - Ambitious to say that it was Ireland's wettest ever October. Six stations with relatively short recording history, 25 years or less claim that. Moorepark has a record of 58 years, a better contender but still only a localised station. Long term stations such as Valentia don't mention anything about them seeing the wettest October on record and Casement reporting wettest October in eleven years isn't exactly record shattering. The overall claim that October 2022 was Ireland's wettest October on record is rather misleading.

March 2023 - Four stations had their wettest March on record. These were Athenry, Co Galway with 185.9 mm (record length 32 years), Mace Head, Co Galway with 151.2 mm (length 18 years), Mount Dillon, Co Roscommon with 169.8 mm (length 18 years) and Casement Aerodrome, Co Dublin with 109.3 mm (length 59 years). Again, most of the stations with records have a short history. Of the longer term stations - Dublin Airport, Phoenix Park, Co Dublin also had its wettest March since 1947 with 121.3 mm. Claremorris, Co Mayo had its wettest March since 1978 with 164.5 mm and Cork Airport, Co Cork had its wettest March since 1981 with 211.3 mm. Sherkin Island, Co Cork had its wettest March since 1989 with 179.6 mm and Moore Park, Co Cork had its wettest March since 1996 with 144.4 mm.

June 2023 - 23 stations had their warmest June on record (record lengths range from 12 to 83 years). Dublin Airport and Phoenix Park, Co Dublin had their warmest June since 1976. More of a substantial claim here. Thankfully we got this month in an otherwise appalling summer.

July 2023 - *Over the next few months, the rainfall totals from our network of voluntary observers will be returned and quality controlled, once this process is finalised, we run the analysis again, and will then confirm if July 2023 was indeed the wettest July on record (record length 83 years).

Let's await the July 2023 data to come in before laying claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

No, making fun of all those who were stressing about the heat in southern Europe during July, and then went about debunking the idea that temps in Europe were above average in July using data, but whatever 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Not at all. It was stated by yourself or/and @Akrasia that Ireland is not Europe because it's an island. If that is the case, then every island that is supposedly Europe, is not actually Europe.

There have been pretty severe heatwaves in the Canary Islands of late and the the effects of climate change are regularly discussed in that area, alongside other parts of Europe. Temperatures exceeded 45° in Gran Canaria in August 2021. I'm not at all being pedantic when I ask this but are the Canary Islands part of Europe? Or Africa? Or neither?

Pedantry means to get overly concerned about minor details however when one makes statements that are either unclear or incorrect, then valid responses are not pedantic. The argument was that discussion about climate change and excessive heat in Europe did not apply to Ireland because it's an island however that argument causes confusion because there are many islands in Europe with (as I previously mentioned) the hottest ever recorded temperature in Europe being recorded on an island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

If its good enough for met eireann to declare record months its good enough for me. Fair enough regards to the number of stations getting record rainfall temperatures etc. I presume met eireann take the average of all stations combined ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yes let’s wait for them to officially claim it’s the wettest so you can downplay that like everything else in the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Would you rather people over react?

Seriously, global warming and we've been frozen out of it this July. I'm putting my heated seat on in the morning going to work.

'Don't look up' more like 'don't look out' the window... if you're in Ireland, because that's the only way you'd be fearful of global warming.

But we've had more rain!! CLIMATE CHANGE. Drought last year was CLIMATE CHANGE.

Until Irelands climate actually changes from the usual 4 seasons in a day I won't be getting my nickers in a twist.

Tell us again how it's drier in the East Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Absolute nonsense this global warming guff. It feels like November out there this morning and hasn't stopped raining for weeks. Rubbish summer.

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

like honestly do you lads really believe because the weather isn't great in Ireland that global warming is all lies? because that's the impression you're giving off. i mean surely you're not that dim?

• Advertisement

Global warming is meant to be driving extreme weather, no? I mean your camp can't have their cake and eat it too. You can't point to hot weather in the Med in summer and say climate change.

But then challenge others when they point to standard Irish summer by saying THATS WEATHER. Like it's ridiculous hypocritical.

Do I believe with more humans, more concrete, more concerted efferts to monotor/record that the global average temp could have increased in the last 30 years? Yes I do. Do I believe that's driving various weather extremes? No I don't.

Do I believe humans are responsible for the increase in recorded temps? 100% i do. Because we're the ones recording it. Without us there'd be no records.

so is it all a conspiracy, or just all the scientists and universities have it all wrong or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

They're all stupid and don't know what they're talking about. Geraldine on Facebook has the lowdown.

Who knows. If it starts raining cats I might start driving an EV. But for now I'm just happy to point out the hypocrisy of climate activists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hottest june on record in ireland. wettest july on record in ireland. that, by definition, is extreme weather for ireland.

I'm not an activist I just believe the overwhelming findings of scientists worldwide, as do you when it suits you.

I don't agree. It's been standard fare. 30 years of recordings being barely broken at a few stations is just not enough for me to jump on board the climate catastrophe train.

If we get a record cold month will that also be classed as extreme and due to the global average mean rising?

So essentially everything is climate catastrophe? But we know pre industrial we had human eras of extreme hots/colds. But let's just not look over there right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’d rather people didn’t try to deny it, didn’t mention overreacting at all. Sounds like you already have your knickers twist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Hottest June on record is a bit OTT, warmest June - yes, it was. Temperatures never broke 29c/30c during the month. When you consider Ireland's hottest ever temperature of 33.3c was recorded in June, it's not really an OMG moment as some would like you to think.

Advertisement