Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sky news

Why are Poland and Ukraine calling in each other's ambassadors?A diplomatic row between Ukraine and Poland shows little sign of slowing down, with both countries calling in each other's ambassadors today.

It's a relatively rare breakdown between two neighbours who have been firm allies since the start of the invasion - but what caused it?

The row was sparked by top Polish presidential adviser Marcin Przydacz saying Kyiv should be more grateful for Poland's support over the years - similar comments to those from outgoing UK defence secretary Ben Wallace last month.

Mr Przydacz's comments angered Ukrainian officials - Ukraine summoned Poland's ambassador to the country for a meeting to discuss them earlier today.

A Ukrainian foreign ministry spokesperson also dismissed the adviser's comments as "untrue and unacceptable", with a stinging statement.

"We are convinced that Ukrainian-Polish friendship is much deeper than political expediency," the statement read. "Politics should not call into question the mutual understanding and strength of relations between our peoples."

That in turn has angered Poland. Warsaw has this evening called in Ukraine's ambassador, simply to discuss "comments of representatives of Ukrainian authorities."

But the cause of Ukraine's biting response may not be quite that clear-cut.

Mr Przydacz was also quoted as saying: "What is most important today is to defend the interest of the Polish farmer."

That has been widely interpreted as a call for the EU to let Poland extend its ban on imports of Ukrainian grain - a ban that is due to expire on 15 September. 

The EU had allowed Poland (as well as Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania and Slovakia) to stop imports because huge amounts of Ukrainian grain were stranded in the country after Russia blocked Black Sea ports, effectively driving up supply and massively cutting prices, affecting Polish farmers. 

Ukraine has long called for the ban to be ditched, saying it's "unfriendly" - so a top adviser's call for to continue is being seen in Kyiv as fresh hostility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Update on my previous post..

There are Russian helicopters evacuating crew from one of the ships

Strange.....for this when it wasn't hit by the drone huh lol

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Edit: in repost to the guy saying the next one will be shot down if it passed the polish border.

These types of things happen very often and nothing is ever shot down.

It's a test to how quick can they react, a provocation or just a news paper story.

And it happens in our waters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sometimes aircraft do get shot down for that sort of stuff (Turkey - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Russian_Sukhoi_Su-24_shootdown).

Though according to that page, there were previous violations of Turkish airspace by the Russian aircraft while bombing in Syria, so maybe Turkey just got tired of this being done. Erdogan doesn't strike me as most pacifist/unconfrontational of leaders anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Border violations don't happen that often with combat helicopters, that was the point I was trying to make. So if they try that one again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

I doubt they'll do anything. Just like they did nothing when 2 polish nationals were killed by a Russian missile. I think it would take an extreme event for any polish/nato reaction. They'll keep brushing it under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Germany’s Ottobock, the world’s largest prosthetics manufacturer, which is working with Kyiv to help amputees, estimates the number of amputees at about 50,000 based on data from the government and medical partners. At the lower end, the Houp Foundation, a Kyiv-based charity, puts the number of serious injuries caused by the war at 200,000. About 10% of serious injuries typically require amputations, according to the foundation. 

This is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Truly.

But then you watch Zeus in this video and it becomes clear why Ukraine will drive the scum out.

Russian soldiers shooting themselves in the legs to get out of the war, Zeus - Give me a new leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭thomil

Also, it's "only" a launcher. Still painful but easier to repair or replace than a command vehicle or radar. At least the battery as such will still be operational.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

Absolutely horrendous. I've said it before, no matter how the war ends there is a whole country that will be traumatized for at least a generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All because of little man syndrome.

Where did we see that before.

Putler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭zv2

Both Russians and Ukrainians are using decoys but the UA might not be willing to let the Russians know they hit a decoy??? They seem unusually eager to tell the Russians they were hit. Let them think it was real? Welcome to the internet!!!

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

The way the whole chassis sways around makes it seem like a decoy.

In any case the lancet missed. If it was real they wasted a lancet, if it was a decoy they wasted a lancet.

It would be interesting to know how many lancets they have. Every day there seems to be multiple new videos of lancet strikes. They cost $20-40k a pop.

Solid summary of the counteroffensive so far, debunking the ridiculously optimistic predictions promoted by some posters here before it started, but also outlining reasons for hope:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

That story began long before the actual shooting down of the Russian fighter, and began with the downing of another aircraft. It was a holiday Jet leaving Sharm-El-Sheik, Egypt and bound for St. Petersburg loaded with Russian passengers. ISIS had placed a bomb on board which exploded shortly after take -off. This was in retaliation for the Russian attacks in Syria. So in retaliation for this, the Russian's then started to bomb the fuel convoys leaving for Turkey from the isis controlled Syrian oil fields. The oil business in Turkey is controlled by Erdogan's son ( its the family business )and in retaliation. he ( or his Dad) ordered the downing of the Russian fighter plane. And the story continues to this day....

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Wow aren't you two the bleeding hearts this morning. What brought this on I wonder 🤔.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

There will be two Country's traumatized for generations rogber. And all because of the madness of one man, and his crony's, Vladimir Putin. And these are not the only Country's he and Russia has traumatized either, you can add Afghanistan ( even after many years, mine's laid during the Russian occupation are still killing and maiming Afghans to this day) Syria and every Country Russia has had a presence in, has the same experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I don’t get your point. The guardian article is correct. I also watch the videos of the guy you posted which are interesting but also only ever positive. They are not an unbiased rational overview of the counter attack and in no way a counter to the guardian article. I remain confident for Ukraine but it’s hardly groundbreaking to say it will take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Saw Russia attacked grain stores and transport infrastructure very close to Romania again last night so this seems to be a priority target for them now.

I would say this is (yet more) escalation from Russia given it won't take all that much to go "wrong" for some of these to start exploding over the border (or you never know, Russia may even plan a bit of spillover into Romania "accidentally on purpose" as it were).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Putin heading to Turkey according to Russia Today ?

Let me guess, you probably think the guardian is an outlet for Russian propaganda?

Did you even read the article? It's cautiously optimistic.

I always read the Kyiv Post daily summery, much more inline with the Guardian report and nothing like the overly positive YouTube bloggers. Denys is the only YT source I follow as he seems very realistic about the situation.

The numbers for the Russians may be astronomical. But maybe not, many of the injured are left to die.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

It's really barmy when they say Russia "accused" Ukraine of such and such an attack. How dare they attack us, lol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm curious as to whether there is any opinion or editorial piece out there that by your lofty standards is not mere "click bait".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Watched a YouTube video the other day and I just noticed a comment made by some one in it. They say Ukraine include number of Russian troops they eliminate every day in their daily briefings, vehicles etc of course but Russia don't include in their daily briefings the number of Ukrainian troops they have killed, they just post command posts, vehicles etc. Does anyone know if that is correct and if so why don't they while Ukraine do?

I would guess that the percentage amputees amoung the Russian living wounded is much less as you suggest. An injury causing the loss of limb will need rapid trauma treatment, something that the Ukrainians know and address with fast response medic teams close to the front line. Its my guess that nothing similar exists in the Russian army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've found Willy OAM to be the most balanced of the Youtube accounts following the war: https://www.youtube.com/@willyOAM

Just watching a second video of his. He does seem very balanced, especially of the human impact of the war (not a popular opinion to voice on here), I have subscribed.

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

From his analysis, and looking at the flight track it does pretty plausible that what happened was indeed along the lines of: "**** look where we are! Turn south-east quick!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia has lost almost 11,500 individual tanks, IFV's, vehicles of all types, artillery, helicopters, fixed wing aircraft. In a year and a half. Staggering to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I’m a bit bored of these figures. Unless we know how many they have left it’s a bit pointless. Like if they have 10’000 tanks then we know how many left to wipe out. If they have 2 billion tanks then a long way to go. Obviously they don’t have 2 billion tanks but no one seems to know how many the have. So these daily updates by the Ukrainians start to seems bit tedious tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

They don't have "2 billion tanks". We have rough ideas of their stocks, their production, etc. We can also see what equipment they are using to give a clue into stocks and replenishment also.

For what its worth, I heard Russia had about 6000 tanks to start with and now have 1400. UA is supposed to have 1500.

More rambling b0ll0x. Do all Russians speak like this or is it specifically the loopers they put on the airwaves. The priest waffling on about going to war to die. The only thing he's in danger of dying from is diabetes or a coronary. He hasn't missed too many dinner times despite his claimed forays to the frontline. The other nutter on about Americans harvesting body parts. They should all be on a Ukrainian hitlist once this thing wraps up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Must have been gathered together for another motivational speech.

Maybe Priest Savva was giving them a pep talk.

• Advertisement

Well if he said "You are all going to die" he was spot on !

Don't think anyone on boards, that I have seen, has any sympathies for anyone that commits torture, whichever country they are from, of the 195 countries in the world 141 have been reported by Amnesty International when investigating acts of torture.

I really do despise that UK/Russian blogger Graham Phillips who conducted the "interview" with Aiden Aslin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That map is useless as it ends in 2005. You will see that Ireland is the lowest category on it. Tubridy didn't even start hosting the Late Late Show until 2009. I'd say they had to invent a new super-heavy-red colour for us for the 2009-2023 period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in lieu of , the Ukrainians can dig in , and ensure the Russians dont launch their own offensive , the Ukrainians sending their men and material against a buzz saw isnt working and is expending a lot of their lives with little to no gain in land

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

More or less what I'm thinking. They'll just have to grind down the Russians with artillery until they are dead or retreat and then move forward with armor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Come the winter again in due course, who will be able to take most advantage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm guessing Ukraine goes back into defensive mode but Russia continues to attack. They'll probably take more ground before next summer but at a huge cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Like they took 2kms of Bakhmut over 7 months of winter!!!

Keep dreaming comrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

I find it bizarre that you describe the forces of putin in Ukraine as a "buzz saw" and are taking it as read that the counter offensive by Ukraine is not working effectively to kill lots of moskovytes and further disable their ability to fight. It's like you are taking the propaganda from putin's side at face value and see the repeated showing of the same footage of Ukraine armed forces experiencing losses as representative of what is happening throughout the front lines where the Ukrainians have stated they are still forcing more losses on putin's army than they are experiencing themselves.

The estimates of putin's personnel liquidated by Ukraine released by Ukraine since the invasion of their country in February last year is moving close to quarter of a million and even if that does not concern putin it will make his position as uncontested leader more difficult to maintain as he increasingly looks like a dithering old fool who has been gullible enough to destroy his military and thousands of lives for nothing. The crimes his forces have and continue to commit on the people of Ukraine mean it will be very difficult for Ukraine to restrain themselves from making moskovytes pay for their crimes. I can't see there being much chance of them stopping their offensive and simply digging in and leaving putin's occupying forces not pay for what they are doing in their country even if there are some who would see the movie plot story of a rapid breakthrough of the moskovyte defensive lines and a simple fast end to the tragic war in Ukraine as the only outcome. I think Ukrainians will fight for their freedom from putin's terrorist state no mater how long it takes and they are making progress.

Here is what Ukraine says about putin's invasion over the last month in numbers:

putin has blood on his hands and I can't see a fast end to violence and deaths caused by his actions and it is very likely that there are now huge numbers of Ukrainians who have personal reasons to take action against moskovytes rather than simply digging in and hoping for the best like the girl in the pictures below which show the daughter of one of his victims.

Post edited by macraignil on

• Advertisement

When winter sets in this year the Russians can look forward to being cluster bombed as they wallow another miserable winter in their trenches. While they contemplate a spring skies filled with F16s and ATACMS.

Moscow can also look forward to a hammering as Ukraine increase the frequency of attacks there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement