Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World's hottest day since records began

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Here I’ll help you.

see below link from national geographic for kids:

I’ll even copy the exert that shows that you are wrong:

Ireland is an island nation on the westernmost edge of Europe. It is the continent's second largest island (after Great Britain).

Just for clarity here is a link to a list of countries that are part of Europe:

we are number 26 of 44, which also includes Malta which guess what,- is an island. 😂😂

When you look up Malta in google maps, the description given is:

malta- country in Europe.

😂😂😂 just admit you got it wrong and things as you see them aren’t always “facts” even though they might be in your head.

Seen as your wrong on this- there’s every possibility a good proportion of the nonsense you spout on here is wrong too.

Post edited by tom1ie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

So the likes of Malta, Sardinia, Sicily, the Canary Islands (to name but a few locations that are part of Europe as far as I am aware) are all not in Europe?

Not according to @Shoog and @Akrasia

But they’d be wrong of course- which casts doubt on whatever else they’re saying tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's great the way the thread has been derailed by this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Jizique

Back to the weather. There will be snow above 2,000m in the Alps this weekend. Looking forward to RTE covering the story.

Citi's Beverage Weather Tracking Database — The Citi Beverage Weather Tracking Database amalgamates daily temperature and precipitation data across 36 of the most important markets for the European beer and soft drinks stocks. Although changes in weather patterns have little lasting long-term impact on growth, they can influence consumer off-take and affect short-term volume, mix and earnings.

July weather largely negative in Europe — In Europe, July temperatures were -0.7oC lower YoY, and precipitation +38mm higher vs 2022. Cooler temperatures were seen in the UK (-2.6oC) and Portugal (-2.2oC), while Greece was +1.4oC warmer Rainfall was notably higher in Switzerland (+145mm), Belgium (+134mm) and Denmark (+121mm), while Portugal was the only major European market notably drier (-21mm). In the 6 largest states in the US, weighted average temperature in July was flat (-0.1oC), while rainfall was slightly higher by +18mm. California (+0.6oC warmer) and Pennsylvania (+89mm wetter) were the largest deltas. Elsewhere, Australia saw favourable trends (+0.7oC warmer, -110mm wetter), while Brazil (-0.4oC cooler, +29mm wetter), China (-0.2oC cooler, +90mm drier) and South Africa (-1.2oC cooler, +19mm wetter) all saw headwinds in early Q3. 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this 'oh, look the weather is cold in the alps' is like a man saying 'world hunger? but i just had a slap up meal!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Globally we just had the warmest July on record no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

October 2022 irelands wettest October on record, March 2023 irelands wettest March on record, June 2023 irelands warmest June on record, July 2023 irelands wettest July on record. All perfectly normal...........

It was hot in 1976. Shut the f**k up and have a Solero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Thats the playbook, the weather forum is famous for this behavior, look at the other threads on climate change. Same playbook, pick one thing other than the scientific evidence that could be construed as wrong and shout that the whole thing is a lie because of it. Its obvious to everyone. Best ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

No, it is a bit like everyone falling over themselves and saying "its pretty hot in the med this summer, let's call it global boiling and scare the shite out of everyone", the point being that we should not confuse the weather with climate change but this is precisely what all the fanatics have done in recent weeks.

Those who claim that recent weather is proof of anything are lying to you. However the global mean average surface temperature is a global climate variable (not weather) and it is going to show that this was the hottest year on record since the El-Nino is very likely to see the remainder of the year be as hot as the start of the year.

However what can be said about the weather is that climate change makes exceptional weather patterns far more likely - so the hottest June on record followed by the wettest July on record (in Ireland) are entirely consistent with what climate science predicts for the weather. Climate change is disturbing settled weather patterns across the globe so we continually see weather records been broken in every corner of the globe on a near daily basis.

Climate change destroys the normal we have come to depend on.

I've read that the hottest temperature on record in Europe occurred in Sicily in 2021 but as Sicily is an island, it's not Europe so @Akrasia & @Shoog , can you tell where the real European high temperature occurred as everywhere I check states that it was Sicily but you've both told everyone here that can't be true due to Sicily being an island and is therefore not Europe.........exact same situation as is the case for Ireland.

• Advertisement

we should not confuse the weather with climate, says the man quoting current weather conditions in a specific location at us?

What nonsense?

Two posters who are pushing the narrative on this thread can’t get basic geography correct? That nonsense?

Have you figured out what continent you live on yet?

How about you answer my point instead of hiding?

Greenies do this all the time- when they’re found out they go silent and ignore the original conversation they initiated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

October 2022 - Ambitious to say that it was Ireland's wettest ever October. Six stations with relatively short recording history, 25 years or less claim that. Moorepark has a record of 58 years, a better contender but still only a localised station. Long term stations such as Valentia don't mention anything about them seeing the wettest October on record and Casement reporting wettest October in eleven years isn't exactly record shattering. The overall claim that October 2022 was Ireland's wettest October on record is rather misleading.

March 2023 - Four stations had their wettest March on record. These were Athenry, Co Galway with 185.9 mm (record length 32 years), Mace Head, Co Galway with 151.2 mm (length 18 years), Mount Dillon, Co Roscommon with 169.8 mm (length 18 years) and Casement Aerodrome, Co Dublin with 109.3 mm (length 59 years). Again, most of the stations with records have a short history. Of the longer term stations - Dublin Airport, Phoenix Park, Co Dublin also had its wettest March since 1947 with 121.3 mm. Claremorris, Co Mayo had its wettest March since 1978 with 164.5 mm and Cork Airport, Co Cork had its wettest March since 1981 with 211.3 mm. Sherkin Island, Co Cork had its wettest March since 1989 with 179.6 mm and Moore Park, Co Cork had its wettest March since 1996 with 144.4 mm.

June 2023 - 23 stations had their warmest June on record (record lengths range from 12 to 83 years). Dublin Airport and Phoenix Park, Co Dublin had their warmest June since 1976. More of a substantial claim here. Thankfully we got this month in an otherwise appalling summer.

July 2023 - *Over the next few months, the rainfall totals from our network of voluntary observers will be returned and quality controlled, once this process is finalised, we run the analysis again, and will then confirm if July 2023 was indeed the wettest July on record (record length 83 years).

Let's await the July 2023 data to come in before laying claims.

No, making fun of all those who were stressing about the heat in southern Europe during July, and then went about debunking the idea that temps in Europe were above average in July using data, but whatever 🙄

Not at all. It was stated by yourself or/and @Akrasia that Ireland is not Europe because it's an island. If that is the case, then every island that is supposedly Europe, is not actually Europe.

There have been pretty severe heatwaves in the Canary Islands of late and the the effects of climate change are regularly discussed in that area, alongside other parts of Europe. Temperatures exceeded 45° in Gran Canaria in August 2021. I'm not at all being pedantic when I ask this but are the Canary Islands part of Europe? Or Africa? Or neither?

Pedantry means to get overly concerned about minor details however when one makes statements that are either unclear or incorrect, then valid responses are not pedantic. The argument was that discussion about climate change and excessive heat in Europe did not apply to Ireland because it's an island however that argument causes confusion because there are many islands in Europe with (as I previously mentioned) the hottest ever recorded temperature in Europe being recorded on an island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

If its good enough for met eireann to declare record months its good enough for me. Fair enough regards to the number of stations getting record rainfall temperatures etc. I presume met eireann take the average of all stations combined ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yes let’s wait for them to officially claim it’s the wettest so you can downplay that like everything else in the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Would you rather people over react?

Seriously, global warming and we've been frozen out of it this July. I'm putting my heated seat on in the morning going to work.

'Don't look up' more like 'don't look out' the window... if you're in Ireland, because that's the only way you'd be fearful of global warming.

But we've had more rain!! CLIMATE CHANGE. Drought last year was CLIMATE CHANGE.

Until Irelands climate actually changes from the usual 4 seasons in a day I won't be getting my nickers in a twist.

Tell us again how it's drier in the East Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Absolute nonsense this global warming guff. It feels like November out there this morning and hasn't stopped raining for weeks. Rubbish summer.

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

like honestly do you lads really believe because the weather isn't great in Ireland that global warming is all lies? because that's the impression you're giving off. i mean surely you're not that dim?

• Advertisement

Global warming is meant to be driving extreme weather, no? I mean your camp can't have their cake and eat it too. You can't point to hot weather in the Med in summer and say climate change.

But then challenge others when they point to standard Irish summer by saying THATS WEATHER. Like it's ridiculous hypocritical.

Do I believe with more humans, more concrete, more concerted efferts to monotor/record that the global average temp could have increased in the last 30 years? Yes I do. Do I believe that's driving various weather extremes? No I don't.

Do I believe humans are responsible for the increase in recorded temps? 100% i do. Because we're the ones recording it. Without us there'd be no records.

so is it all a conspiracy, or just all the scientists and universities have it all wrong or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

They're all stupid and don't know what they're talking about. Geraldine on Facebook has the lowdown.

Who knows. If it starts raining cats I might start driving an EV. But for now I'm just happy to point out the hypocrisy of climate activists.

hottest june on record in ireland. wettest july on record in ireland. that, by definition, is extreme weather for ireland.

I'm not an activist I just believe the overwhelming findings of scientists worldwide, as do you when it suits you.

I don't agree. It's been standard fare. 30 years of recordings being barely broken at a few stations is just not enough for me to jump on board the climate catastrophe train.

If we get a record cold month will that also be classed as extreme and due to the global average mean rising?

So essentially everything is climate catastrophe? But we know pre industrial we had human eras of extreme hots/colds. But let's just not look over there right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’d rather people didn’t try to deny it, didn’t mention overreacting at all. Sounds like you already have your knickers twist.

• Advertisement

Hottest June on record is a bit OTT, warmest June - yes, it was. Temperatures never broke 29c/30c during the month. When you consider Ireland's hottest ever temperature of 33.3c was recorded in June, it's not really an OMG moment as some would like you to think.

The OP you replied to didn't deny anything. They simply added some granular context on local stations figures.

Goway outta that you absolute chancer!

Are ya gonna answer what continent you live on or are ya still hiding? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Excluding Sicily, because it's an island and therefore not in Europe /s - the warmest European temp on record was 48°C in Athens, in 1977 - 46 years ago. The hottest temperature in Perth, Aus. was 47°C in 1991 - 32 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Cliff Mass, professor of Atmospheric Sciences at University of Washington, said the public was being “misinformed on a massive scale”: “It‘s terrible. I think it’s a disaster. There’s a stunning amount of exaggeration and hype of extreme weather and heatwaves, and it’s very counter-productive,” he told The Australian in an interview. “I’m not a contrarian. I‘m pretty mainstream in a very large [academic] department, and I think most of these claims are unfounded and problematic”. …Professor Mass said the climate was “radically warmer” around 1000 years ago during what’s known as the Medieval Warm Period, when agriculture thrived in parts of now ice-covered Greenland. “If you really go back far enough there were swamps near the North Pole, and the other thing to keep in mind is that we‘re coming out of a cold period, a Little Ice Age from roughly 1600 to 1850”.

Global warming has become a global industry, with many people's jobs and income depending on it. It's self-perpetuating, like a diffuse bureaucracy. Science should always be open to input and alternative view points, but the politicisation and other factors, like the unfettered near instantaneous exchange of ideas and opinions, thanks to the internet, I think have polarised many topics making them near impossible to counter once they reach a self-perpetuating critical mass.

The latest recipient of the Nobel prize for physics called climate science, 'pseudo science', and promptly had some climate change worshiping dweeb cancel a talk he was due to give to the IMF.

Science is dead. There is no longer an ability to question or rebut when it comes to climate science.

You 'just believe'. I don't. There was massive hyping of the climate crisis in Australia during and after the large bushfires a couple of years ago. Australia was going to get hotter, drier and burn to a cinder. Everyone and everything was going to die. What has actually happened is that Australia has gotten cooler and wetter and agricultural productivity has boomed, with record harvests and usually parched and imperilled river systems are flowing like never before and are full to the brim.

The mass media hysteria using the fires in Australia to hype climate panic reminds me of what we are seeing now in coverage of a heat wave in Europe. Meanwhile my thermostat controlled heating has come on almost every day in July and trucks that deliver heating kerosene are out and about and seemingly quite busy.

I don't deny the climate might be changing, it probably is, it's done so before. My problem with climate science is the unquestioning attribution of events to CO2 produced by mankind. We do not understand in the slightest, what has caused climatic variations in the past, but all of a sudden we have a perfect understanding that current climate anomalies are only attributable to mankind? IMO, if you don't have a perfect understanding of what causes natural variability, then confidently declaring and attributing variability to an utterly minuscule anthropogenic input I find problematic.

So called scientists going on about tipping points and runaway heating leading to the Earth becoming Venus-like and other flavours of climate catastrophism just show how imbecilic some of these 'scientists' are.

The global average temperature for the 20th century was 13.9°C. If it rises 2°C, the planet and all life are fuc*ed, right? So even though the long term global average temp while life on Earth has thrived is more like 25°C - 15.9° and you can kiss your ass goodbye, Venus here we come? Bulldust.

Life on Earth has existed and thrived for far longer on a planet so much warmer there were no ice caps at all, than it has with ice caps in place. Release the CO2 locked up in hydrocarbon deposits and we will have runaway green-house warming. This one has to be one of the stupidest assertions ever. How and why did the carbon get into those deposits? It came from the air, because the 'normal' level for atmospheric CO2 is more like 2,500 ppm, not the current near plant starving 418 ppm. Putting a small fraction of the carbon that was once in the air as CO2, back where it came from, is not going to destroy the planet when 2,500 ppm is likely the norm and clearly didn't cause the planet to become uninhabitable.

Our planet has been so cold it has been frozen over and described as a snowball - twice, it's also been far warmer with a lot more CO2 in the atmosphere. Life on Earth was more nearly made extinct in the snowball scenarios than the warm no ice caps life optimums.

The Earth can and has managed with very large variations in climate and global temperature and atmospheric CO2 levels. It would seem likely that there are coping mechanisms. Scientists don’t know what they are but they are 100% certain that you need to stop whatever is you are doing, right now.

i don't read your nonsense so i wouldn't bother responding to anything i post if i were you

The latest recipient of the Nobel prize for physics called climate science, 'pseudo science'

oh, i didn't know they'd given the 2022 nobel prize in physics to a climate scientist.

oh, wait, they didn't. but we knew that. so the word scientist whose area of expertise is not climate somehow should be taken seriously?

would you quote the opinion of a dentist who claimed covid was a hoax?

and regarding cliff mass:

"Mass has stated publicly that he shares the scientific consensus that global warming is real and that human activity is a major cause of warming trend in the late 20th and 21st centuries.[9][10] According to Mass, "Global warming is an extraordinarily serious issue, and scientists have a key role to play in communicating what is known and what is not about this critical issue."[11] He has been critical of the Paris Climate accord for not going far enough to address the negative impacts of climate change.[12] Mass has also expressed concern when media outlets and environmental organizations have made, in his opinion, exaggerated claims about the current impacts of climate change. Mass has questioned statements of climate change as the cause of specific weather events.[13][14][15][16] For example, Mass concluded that global warming was not a central factor in the 2021 Western North America heat wave"

maybe he should have his wikipedia entry changed if he wants to be relied on as someone denying anthropogenic climate change.

Automation of stations have been a royal pain in the *** for Met Eireann as the digital replacements for what once was manual human observations prove less reliable. We even seen it last year when the 33.1c at Phoenix Park had to be pared back by 0.1c within a few hours. That might be one occurrence that was notable because it coincided with one of Dublin's record high temperatures, scenarios such as that occur alot more without much notice. Beware of automation reports, especially record breaking ones - they often die out once investigations happen and headlines have faded.

Unlike some, I prefer to base my statements upon verifiable fact. I'd hold out, hold well out, until all the data is in, compiled and QC'd before making claims one way or the other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement