Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They would see anything as evidence of that. They see it everywhere like Jesus on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think Bidens perceived mental decline, hunter biden, Afghanistan, Ukraine are all going to be hit hard by the republicans. I personally think trumps numbers should be rock bottom and shouldn't stand the chance but i think Biden will also be very damaged by the time of the election. I think someone like Nicki Halley would have a far better chance of defeating Biden. But ultimately the economy will probably decide things.

Show me your math. I don’t think you know what half means.

*half of votes cast in the previous election voted for trump..... i am suprised that you couldn't deduce that, it is a commonly known fact.

• Advertisement

so it’s dismissed without evidence. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The most recent polls show Biden and Trump at 43% each, with 14% don't knows.

So of those that are decided currently, it is indeed half.

But 14% are a big cohort of don't knows. The got Biden well elected last time. It will depend where they are geographically and really, State level polls are much more reflective of the path to victory.

So, to all intents and purposes, the nation is split down the middle. It will be interesting to see where the indictments push those numbers and how the fight to have an early trial play out, because Trump will fight like a kicked cat to delay that trial and then amplify the 'election interference' bullcrap if and when it falls in early to mid 2024.

Even more interesting will be to see if the Republican National Committee back him or sack him, because they are going to have to take a definitive line and do it now; either exorcise him like the cancer he is, or support him due to his popularity.

A day of reckoning in the GOP awaits.

We are changing the venue to Sydney Australia. Please don’t resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The problem for Trump is that anything they try to throw at Biden Trump is as bad, and in many cases far worse. Bring up Hunter, well Jared by Billions for Saudi. Afghanistan, Biden certainly has questions to answer but all the questions start with the awful deal Trump did with the Taliban. Ukraine, well Trump is not going to want to relitigate the impeachment so apart from claiming that he would solve it in 24 hours, he has got nothing.

And that is my point. Is Trump really the best that the right-wing has to offer? Thats it? Is there really no one else with a clean record that they could put forward?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know all those things are what the GOP have to use - Interestingly they have next to nothing on policy though.

However , those things just aren't working.

They are all popular with hard core GOP voters who cheer on the nonsense circus acts that people like James Comer and Jim Jordan are putting on but there is no evidence that they are gaining any kind of meaningful traction with Independent voters or Democrat voters.

And if it's about the economy, then the GOP are in trouble there too as the economy is on a consistent long running upswing and a majority of people support Bidens work on the economy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If it comes close to the RNC doing something about Trump, I'd expect him to threaten to run as a third party candidate. He'd get enough votes from his cult to qualify, the fear of lost GOP votes would bring the RNC to heel.

“Half of America” you said not “half of the votes cast in the previous election,” your surprise is not required, the surprise is you continued to argue it is anywhere near half of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Exactly. Trump is like an albatross around the Republicans neck. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a considerable number within the party that are hoping he'd just die off. Then they could give all their insincere eulogies and move on, without alienating his retarded fanbase. He really has them by the balls, but it's entirely of their own making. The best solution for everybody, including the Republican Party, is if he's found guilty of something that prevents him from ever being near American politics again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Yeah right wing skangers . Joe will be re elected and his good work will continue .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Would it be ok for me to label you and others as leftie loonies or perhaps libtard drivel or even TDS drivel ?

that has been happening all the way through the thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In typical Trump fashion, there’s always a tweet - or in this case a Boards post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The absolute dream scenario for the GOP would be for Trump to be legally excluded from running.

That way they could "move on" from him without having to actually grasp the nettle of having to deal with the MAGAs. They could blame everything on the nasty terrible Democrats and pretend like they are angry about Trump not being allowed to run.

I'd disagree that him being barred from running again is the best scenario to be honest , it lets the GOP off the hook and doesn't force them to face the consequences of their subservient acquiescence to Trump.

Trump and the GOP need to be utterly humiliated at the next election to force the GOP to deal with what they have done if they want to ever have a chance at power again.

The problem is, convicted felons - convicted of anything - may stand for President and be sworn in.

I don't think Trump has a prayer if convicted, not after the calamity a trial will be for a man of his behaviour, so the GOP have a decision to make. He WILL stand as a third candidate if necessary so they must

a) continue the destruction of American politics by tacitly supporting Trump's national presence or b) kill him off and sacrifice this election to build for the next one.

Leaving aside the so-called Freedom caucus loons, the GOP brass are mostly centrist old Conservatives and they recognise the monster they have created. If they don't kill him now, his legacy will destroy the Party and leave an echo for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have to say I am enjoying your meltdowns. Epic.

Keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

People who do not want Trump elected are however much more motivated to vote than his supporters. That's what got Biden elected in 2020.

I don't think the current GOP are that self aware nor are they willing to think about the long term.

Consciously burning this election cycle in order to clear the decks and start fresh for 2028 is a logical and sensible plan, but I think that hoping that the GOP would have that kind of long term vision is wishful thinking.

They want power and they want it now and have shown clearly over the last number of years that they don't care how they get it.

I'm not entirely convinced that Trump would stand as a 3rd party candidate should the GOP either force him out or if he were to lose the Primary. He knows he can't win that way.

But fundamentally, if Trump isn't on the ballot as the GOP candidate because of something the GOP did, his supporters will blame the GOP and either put Trump as a write-in or simply not vote at all. Either way it results in a catastrophic loss for the GOP across the board and it's the down ballot elections that they are really concerned about.

Trump running and losing but the GOP managing to not get totally blown away in the House and Senate would be seen as something of a victory for the old school GOP. It gets rid of Trump for the next cycle and allows them to find an alternative leader without them having to be "Trumpian" as they would have to be if Trump was POTUS.

I think the right want it to degenerate into a mud slinging contest, two pigs rolling around in the mud. When Trump is clearly corrupt and I don’t believe Biden to be.

whataboutism is a much better strategy for republicans rather then debating actual policies.

To those who have been following since 2020, there weren't any real whopper surprises in the indictment at all. A brisk 45 page read that encompasses much of what the Jan 6 House Investigation already had determined; the only real aha's come in the form of realizing that DOJ has cooperation from Pence and others who had, apparently, kept meticulous contemporaneous notes during the administration because you know, Trump is gonna Trump. One surprising instance is the indictment cites something Trump said in the middle of a secure briefing about national security:

Another I found pretty damning is the Jeffrey Clark stuff, Witness 4, a DOJ subordinate who was told by Acting AG an Acting AAG, repeatedly, to not have off books contact with the White House - and he violated this in at least what, 4 instances, leading up to January 6, culminating in Trump apparently wanting to appoint him as the Acting AG because Clark was willing to weaponize the DOJ and release missives on DOJ letterhead that would falsely claim to the public that DOJ had actual and widespread evidence of outcome-determinative voter fraud and such and would publicly urge legislature to decertify the election (a political matter).

What the indictment barely touches on is the details of the violence at the capital. Nowhere in the indictment is a mention about seizing voting machines, weapons at the rally, or Trump wanting to wave people through magnetometers, or the assaulting of any police officers per se, or the death of persons like Ashli Babbit (which is a big **** deal when it comes to sentencing under the Denial of Rights statute, if the denial of rights results in death(s)), or the claims that he put his tiny hands around his driver to demand he be driven to the Capitol and such. So, as Chris Christie was saying in an interview about the previous Federal Indictment, and his insight into being a former Federal Prosecutor himself, that the indictment isn't the whole deck of cards. Since this mostly relates to the Sentencing portion however, it's the sort of thing that might only be presented to the court during an eventual sentencing hearing. The indictment also does not fixate on anything that happens prior to the election, nothing about the USPS for example is in there.

What the indictment really hones in on, is not the Ellipse Speech, or "The Big Lie" with regard to his free speech but rather the conspiracy to send false electors, knowing with overwhelming certainty that he had duly lost the election. The Indictment breaks down, per each state, how he shook down each, how he lost GA by 11,779 votes, how he pressed for them to come up with 11,780, how in some cases he also defrauded the fake electors, some of the fake electors were smart and secured declaratives that said their alternate votes were not to be used unless in the case of an adjudication by the courts to that effect - Trump and coconspirators proceeded to transmit the slate anyway.

Also there's nothing in there about the Green Bay Sweep, or Peter Navarro, ie. the Congressional portion of the conspiracy. Sadly, their involvement might boil down to the Speech and Debate clause: they all had the legal right to object, they were just going along with it. Trump to AG and AAG: "Just say the election was corrupt and leave it to me and the Republican Congressman." Which means to me, some of these gerrymandered seditionist chucklefucks will probably stay latched onto their seats, which might be one of the most revolting things about this whole process. Nor is there anything about his blatant obstruction of the transition of power in the form of things like ie. reading in the President-elect to intelligence briefings, which there isn't a law against doing, but it also is indicative of the efforts he went to to try and stay in power, even to the point where WH Legal Counsel were having to tell the Trump team things you would never expect to hear them have to say to an outgoing administration, and being told chilling things as clapback you'd never want to hear:

The indictment makes the case that the conspirators wanted to flout the rule of law, "You're too honest" etc., and have the election fought out on the streets. "Trial by combat," as CC1, Rudy Giuliani, put it.

As CC2 put it, John Eastman, violence was a necessary part of the plan:

Just frankly chilling stuff. They really wanted blood spilled and civil war, they apparently thought the Gravy Seals could win it for them.

The indictment also touches on defendants published claims that "A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules" etc.

Which, given the fact he and is CCs attempted to defraud the whole of the United States, it's a wonder any of them have the temerity to complain about the venue, the judge, or similar minutiae.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

If Trump is convicted under any of the charges he's facing, will you accept that he's guilty? The fact you're already claiming a kangaroo court indicates you won't.

"Our investigation of other individuals continues"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Funny. In your quest against biased judges, I never heard you complain about Eileen Cannon being appointed to deal with the Florida case? Isn't that curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Deplorables" is an appropriate term after all!

Yeah I guess, if the GOP could get both Chambers of Congress if Biden or his successor is in the White House it wouldn't be the worse outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hilary was right. "Basket of deplorables" was a bullseye.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement