Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, I liked Sabor, too, but I really disliked the garlic and parsley stuff they put over the rice (and I love garlic and parsley).

#fussy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ate in Rossini's recently, food was nice enough and good service but the place could do with a lick of paint, it's quite dated and lots of stains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tis very expensive in there. They charge around 2 euro extra to eat there versus take away.

It's loud in there, but Ryan's cafe across the road is deafingly loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone tried the Green Room in the Crawford ? I'd know the guys from The Brasserie and Docklands, but hearing mixed reviews on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was there for lunch a few weeks ago - I enjoyed it, had the Chicken Cesar sandwich which was an open sandwich on sourdough bread - was very tasty, if a bit pricy for the portion. Was going to stay on for some dessert but nobody came near us once we had finished the lunch, we sat outside - I got the impression that they wanted to clean up and get ready to close, even though there was a good bit of time before closing time. I probably would go back though cos the food was lovely and in a lovely setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

4 of us got pizza from Burnt yday - all had soggy bottoms.. v v disappointing.. we had to use a fork for most part of em..

thats not pizza to me.. other's wer v sad also. grr..

taste was good but if I am having pizza I expect to be eat it by hand at least - in some shape or form - v sad pizza

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Raven.

Very delicious and good quality vegan sharing board, spice bag with chicken.

Would definitely visit again. Good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That looks nice, their menu is interesting, very reasonably priced also as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I really like the raven…nice food, staff are lovely and it’s a nice vibe there!

had another gorge evening in pigalle. Hands down the best restaurant in cork for me. It’s consistently good.

That's good to hear about Pigalle.

They have a new head chef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Portions are on the smaller side but enough. Food is really good there and lovely pints of plain to wash it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Oh no, Mark Ahern is gone from Pigalle? disaster, he already broke my heart once when house cafe closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

He's gone to Good Day Deli. Big loss to Pigalle alright but excited to see what he'll do at GDD. Hopefully new head chef at Pigalle makes a go of it, I really like that place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

GDD is on my avoid list, they are sanctimonious af in there. The staff member gave my pal a snotty eyeroll and lecture when she asked if they had a bit of avocado to go with egg on toast she could give to a weaning baby. They told us all about how avocado's come from too far away and they only source locally. Meanwhile they serve other imports blissfully, like coffee, tea, aleppo chillis, chickpeas, and I don't know where their "cashew cheese" is coming from, but it ain't Ireland. I don't give a monkeys if they don't choose to serve an avocado, it's their cafe, but I have no interest in the side salad of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

I don't know about you but I always serve my eggs with a side of better than thou speechifying!!

Not the same thing at all but reminded me of the time I was in Market Lane recently and the waiter felt the need to correct not one but two of our party's pronunciation of the dishes we ordered!!

Obviously, I wasn't there and sometimes tone is everything, but one thing I would say is that it is normal and good practice to repeat the order back to the person ordering. Should the waiter repeat it back incorrectly as per the customer's pronunciation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I never went back to good day deli after being charged for portion of ketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah I went to GDD once - never again... fish tacos - portions tiny - tacos wer gross to my palate.. we had to pay for ketchup.. and staff wer not nice.. staunch atmosphere.. shudder.. brr...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was very disappointed when I went to good day deli also - just very underwhelming bland food and I just didn’t get a friendly vibe from the place.

It's mad how unpopular gdd appears to be here, yet from what I hear, it's packed out the door constantly.

Haven't been since before covid but my memory was that I liked it but found it a bit pricey. IIRC, the fish tacos were around €15 then. They are €21.50 now.

Food prices for eating out have really increased in 3 years. That's a typical increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Semi retired the last while and been trying places for breakfasts and lunches in particular.

Any recs for breakfasts? At a decent price btw.

Called into Actons last week for lunch, midweek, a pleasant experience, it's years since I've been. The food was delicious, I had fish & chips, only gripe I had was the chips were french fry size, would prefer chunky, and OH had Teriyaki pork which was only devine.

I'm another who only went to GDD once.

The room and the garden are fantastic but the menu wasn't to my taste and it is out of my way in terms of location.

If the menu had been more to my taste I would certainly have got over the location and gone back again, but it just wasn't doing it for me compared to other available options.

Now, if Mark Ahern brings along a menu comparable with what he did in House Cafe and Pigalle, I will have no problem whatsoever dragging myself out of my way up there.

The other pity in terms of his move from Pigalle to GDD is the loss of night time dining, my circumstances just dont allow for as many lunches out these days.

Pigalle will continue with night time dining.

Out of the way in terms of location, is a ridiculous criticism for a restaurant that is in Cork city centre. City center is tiny and it's in it! It's also about 5 minutes walk from Pigalle.

I suppose maybe I should have explained myself better on both counts.

Yes Pigalle will continue to have nighttime dining but it will be without Mark Ahern. Marks menu will now only be available during the day, unless of course GDD alter their opening hours.

My comment about my circumstances is that i have kids in tow during the day and only tend to get out in the evenings. This means that i wont be able to avail of Marks menu as much anymore as he wont be doing night times in GDD.

The location also needs to be taken into account when hauling 3 kids, including buggy, around. It takes about 5 mins to even get from the front door of Nano Nagle all the way up to GDD with a buggy as you need to take 2 different lifts and go a different longer route. Google puts the fountain on grand parade to nano nagle at another 5 mins but with kids this can easily come to 10 mins or more given the most direct routes have steps so the buggy cant go that way. So it could easily be a 15 or more minute journey for me each way, with a pack of moany kids, which is very much within the realms of "out of my way", given as i stated the menu isnt to my taste and there are better options in town.

Finally if you reread by post, i clearly state "out of my way" in both instances. "My way" not as you quoted "the way". I can understand it is not out the way for many many people but as above it is "out of my way". It is a subtle but important difference.

Fair enough ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Last time family had breakfast together, was in 12 Tables. All six were very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I was in 12 Tables for the first time recently and found the acoustics terrible. People's voices ricocheting off every surface. Basically sounded like non stop clattering of pots and pans, but with people's voices. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Went to Stew Store in Douglas Shopping centre today and got the Rogan Josh. Absolutely scrumptious and delicious, although was still a bit hungry after it for €13. It was the medium portion. There's a larger one for €15.

Not Cork city but worth a mention, I think: The Brunch Box by the Claycastle beach carpark in Youghal.

It's a food truck operating from a horsebox.

It's the best brunch I've had out anywhere in Cork. Mrs Beer had a potato rosti with poached eggs, sausage salad and pickles for 9.50 and I had a toasted sourdough ham and cheese sandwich (home cooked ham) with salad and pickles for 7.50. It was crazy good value.

There is some seating there and a coffee stall, too. (didn't have coffee)

I reckon it's worth the trip to Youghal for brunch here. Open 10 to 3 Thursday to Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Went to 12 tables today on rec from here. I had the black pudding rostie, and OH had the Ballycotton. I found mine very very sweet but OH was 10/10. Proper coffee too.

As regards sound, yes, it was amplified indoors and hard to hear the staff, but it was people noise, I'd much prefer that than music in my ear. Had booked a table for indoors, outdoors looked very cheap and plastic-holiday setting.

Will definitely go again.

Advertisement