Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A crash this morning at the tunnel entrance causing some problems.

Does anyone else think though that there are LESS crashes since the roundabout was closed? As a commuter, I do. Now, I know its summer, but it does seem like theres less, despite some tricky merging on some approaches. Also if there is a crash going into the tunnel southbound, it doesn't clog up the roundabout and block up traffic northbound onto the old roundabout. Those movements are now completely separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The Tunnel to M8 movement could be moved to the east sooner rather than later. The section at the north of the interchange looks ready for surfacing. Huge progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This mornings crash, car and truck ! But I don't know the details.

However, last week when travelling from the N25 into the tunnel the car in front braked hard to let a car coming from the city/M8 switch into the left lane.

If I was a 40 tonne truck I would have seriously rearended the car in front, the same could happen if a vehicle from the city/M8 link did the same.

There should be a length of Jersey Wall to keep both lanes separated until the tunnel entrance with absolutely no lane switching until the southern side of the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

That can't happen because it would block off the overheight vehicle escape route to M8S traffic

A lot of chat about there being 2 speed cameras within 200m of each other at Dunkettle.

This raises the question. Can you be done by both cameras within a few seconds of each other? At what point do the individual camera readings become separate speeding offences? I doubt there is anything in legislation dealing with this. I suspect a judge would likely throw out one ticket on the basis that your are being fined twice for the same offence in this case.

If people think these are 2 separate speeding offences, could they clarify the minimum distance apart required for speed vans to register separate offences.

• Advertisement

It should be a single solid line right through the tunnel. The overheight vehicle escape route would then work. Stick up a camera or two and then if people are changing lanes when they shouldn't, or are breaking the 60kmh limit (or 80 when the scheme is done I'm guessing), then 3 points and a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

That escape crosses a hatched ghost island - restricting lane changing, is required between there & the tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

How about a double white lines with rumble strips under the watchful eye of a camera.

The section of road leading to the North portal of the tunnel is the last place where lane changing should be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I can't see it being two distinct offences. It's obviously a grey area legally but I'd guess any lawyer would be willing to argue this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Could they set up the overheight detection for M8 South traffic before the exit for East Cork and route any vehicles off there? I assume that would be possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

There is one around 1.5km before the Interchange on the M8 Southbound, the one just before the tunnel is the final safeguard. Vehicles should go through at least 2 of the detectors before entering the tunnel. Just sometimes they don't work properly as has often been the case with the Southbound one.

I don't think I've ever heard of an overheight vehicle blocking the northbound bore of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Speedcam van on the city-tunnel loop gone? (assuming this was shot over weekend)

https://youtu.be/sK_Iy6MT_DM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Another superb video from the ever reliable Dronehawk.

Worth mentioning that in his latest Youtube posts, Dronehawk has provided a donation link to assist with the costs of making the videos. These videos have brought life and clarity to a number of construction projects ; the N22, Dunkettle and now the Foynes line rehabilitation project for example. I don't know Dronehawk and have no connection with him, but it seems like a request worthy of consideration.

Bloody hell. At least have some but if gratitude for someone who spends hours each month videoing various schemes from all angles for our benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

Good morning. It's been a year or more since I drove to Cork (approaching southbound on M8) and tomorrow morning I'm heading for the airport. I intend to arrive there around 11.30am.

Would anyone care to advise if the current signage on the approach to the Dunkettle is as clear as day, or as clear as muck, for that journey please?

Also, Google Maps, leave it on, or switch it off for that bit of the journey?

Thanks in advance.

It’s an easy enough transit. About 1/2 a mile from the junction you’ll see signs to get in lane. You’ll need to move into the right lane. Speed limit here drops to 60kph.

Continue in the right lane. This then drops to one lane as the left lane veers to the left and carries away traffic to go elsewhere.

Just keep driving straight.

Eventually some traffic coming from the City Centre will merge from your left. Just be aware of this merging traffic.

Eventually you’ll reach the start of the tunnel and you’ll be in the right lane. My advice is to continue in this lane until you have fully gone through the tunnel.

Signage for this movement is fine IMO. Google maps are up to date but I have not used them to go through the junction so won’t comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

Had an interesting interaction with the Junction this morning I was joining via the city to tunnel loop and the person in front didn't even both to merge just drove over the white lines straight into the left lane! Some people I think are absolutely allergic to being in a right "fast lane" even for a few meters, the mind boggles. Then to cap it off the tunnel warning for overheight vehicle was ON with red lights and flashing lights. No one paid any attention to that either but there was no truck around and the barrier wasn't down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is there a crash today or something. Stuck well back in Eastgate today

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I left Eastgate at about 3.45 and traffic on main n25 heading west was backed up bit past little island so assume there was something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Is it unfair to label the scheme an at least partial failure at this stage? We've had what, a month?, at this stage for the new layout to 'bed in' with drivers yet there are, in particular, still long queues coming from Midleton direction and Little Island every evening. Whilst acknowledging there are further merging lanes yet to open, it's not going to create any more space going through the tunnel from the east! Also long tailbacks from the Mahon side in the evening, particularly associated with the merge from J10 there. There may be morning problems as well - I'm coming in after them at the moment if so. It seems to me that there's simply a lot more E/W traffic than N/S and giving both 50% of the road isn't working too great.......but how else to make the tunnel freeflow I guess? Given lower traffic volumes at the moment, I fear a rainy November at 8am / 5.30pm may be little better than before, at least for those coming from the east.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No scheme was going to change the fact that the tunnel only has two lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

To be a success or not you have to look at the before and after picture once the bollards are removed. Once we have that we'll know if it speeds up travel times sufficiently

Secondly, you mention the Mahon junction heading towards the tunnel. This scheme was doing nothing to that junction, to be successful you have to measure the scheme only on the impact of the before/after starting beyond that.

And finally, no interchange was going to be completely delay-free, there's still a huge amount of traffic going through that junction, many points that are two lanes into one (mainly going into the tunnel, the obvious restriction). Look at any "free flow" going on or off the m50, they always have traffic at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I think with so many approach lanes still closed and with temporary speed limits still in place that it's too early to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Point taken re the bollards but I have my worries......

To be fair, pretty much every press piece re the opening forecast an end to delays - here's just one:

"Tailbacks at the notorious Dunkettle Interchange are set to become a thing of the past this weekend".

I'm not trying to say things haven't improved - they have from many directions. But we heard a lot of "give it a week and it'll be fine" - well it's been rather more than a week and things are far from fine! I don't travel N25E to tunnel / city in the evening but do frequently observe it and it seems little better than before the works, even at this time of year - it's also impacting N25 Junction 3 (Cobh / Carrigtohill) to a certain extent - IMHO due to more people turning off to take the 'back road' to avoid Dunkettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It would have been a great time to future-proof it by adding a second tunnel.

It won't be fit for purpose in 20 years time.

The tunnel is ok for now.

The problems are:

N25E - delays due to merging with the temporary Little Island West to Cork slip. That should dissipate once things are more finalised and the lane is open over the flyover.

N40N - There are no problems at all here in the morning as traffic doesn't seem to be leaving Mahon in the same quantities. In the evening, there is too much traffic joining at Mahon for freeflow. That plus the 60kmh limit is causing issues. Not sure what the solution to all of that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Just to raise an otherwise unmentioned knock-on effect too: Carrigtohill and Midleton traffic (Eastbound N25) is now queuing on the hard shoulders in the evenings. The tunnel and interchange were previously regulating the arrival of traffic at these. Quite dangerous I would say and N25 will likely require urgent works to resolve.

Overall: I'm not sold on the idea that the interchange project was "successful" at this current stage, from a conceptual perspective. Obviously it was extremely successfully implemented and no fault to the project team, just that the concept itself was essentially a band-aid on a serious wound. I think we simply need to reduce traffic on the N40. Whether that's advancing the N40 North, providing loads of active travel measures, implementing punitive anti-car measures or a big mix of all of those I don't know. But I just don't think it's a straightforward case that you're going to get a whole pile more vehicles through the tunnel. With my usual "active travel" slant, I'd love to see an attempt at a Mahon to Little Island link thrown into the mix of solutions but ultimately, my opinion is that the N40 problems aren't going to go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Ultimately, the only solution for the Mahon junction is better public transport between Mahon and Cork’s outer suburbs, and try to fix the mess caused by a long history of parasitic land-use planning by Cork County Council. Honestly, Mahon Point should never have been built where it was - putting a major traffic generator of this kind in a geographical “pocket” like this is a bad idea, but at the time this land was under Cork County Council, not the city, and the County saw it as a handy way to get some juicy commercial rates by piggybacking on Cork City’s infrastructure - see also Douglas, both of whose shopping centres were granted planning permission by Cork County, despite butting right against the city.

Advertisement