Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Avoiding a question again. The EU doesn't force us to take in anyone. We control our own borders. International law covers refugees and asylum seekers, nothing to do with 'eu masters '

So can you honestly give me a reason that can explain why, when government mismanagement of the country is to blame for current problems, why are there protests outside empty buildings being used to house these people?

Or even just the question from earlier when you stated that ' some are not even putting in claims' which makes no sense because then they are not asylum seekers......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Those polls are only as good as their method and their selection process.

If you are buying a certain group's vote or asking leading questions without elaborating you can only reach a very limited conclusion .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Are you getting company paid taxi's to your workplace due to safety issues ?

I move as freely now as I have done in the last half century . Ireland and Dublin has never been the safe haven for women that some here like to think .

Nothing has changed recently if that's what you mean .

Did you read the posts you quoted before you posted that ? Do you know what it was referring to or are you just referring to me personally??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Economic migrants .....

The EU won't be issuing € 20,000 fines per person refused,the EU won't be telling us we have to take between 10,000- 30,000 asylum seekers per country as to share the load across the EU,

So the EU is talking bollox???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Was published by the Sunday Business post they’re a well established and reputable paper and wouldn’t be in the business of publishing nonsense polls

You can just say that you didn’t like what the findings were because they didn’t reflect your views, it’s more honest.

Doubt you’d be likewise calling the validity of the poll into question were the findings reversed.

No, they won't be issuing fines. We can pay money rather them take them. We signed up to it.

And seeing as how we have so much money, that wouldn't be an issue.

So any idea why people are protesting outside refugees and asylum seekers accomodation instead of protesting at government buildings?

And who is not putting in claims'?

I don't know about that .

The point I am making is not to discredit either RedC or SBP , but that the questions asked led to answers which have to be interpreted along with the other q& as , and not one answer taken out of context and a headline made of it .

Did the Sunday Business Post do that , or was that a certain right wing publication ?

Yeah look you’re free to interpret them whatever way you like but I would think the results and what the people mean by their answers are fairly clear, regardless of the invocation of the right wing bogeyman or whatever right wing rag you’re referring to

• Advertisement

Yawn

No, they are not fines. We signed up to a Voluntary deal. If we don't want to take them, we can pay money instead.

Voluntary.

Yes, 60 billion surplus or something I believe.

Again I don't know because all we ever get are bites like this .Where did this come from ?

Sunday Business Post , or Gript?

I would like to see the entire poll questions and selection process to decide whether I can believe it or not .

Have you got a link that is not behind a paywall ?

As for right wing bogeymen ? Gript is the only publication that has printed this besides the Newstalk article both of which do not show the full poll..

It’s an excerpt from the Sunday Business Post publication

If you’re that interested in the entire findings you can fork out the couple of quid to read it - otherwise there are very straightforward ways to circumvent a paywall which I’ll not openly detail on thread.

Using the paywall as excuse to disregard the results of the poll is flimsy enough though

And I’ve not read the Gript version, but yeah that’s a bit of a right wing bogeyman invocation to discredit the more impartial publication that originated the poll by muddying the waters. It’s a Sunday Business Post publication, whoever writes about it afterward is nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's hardly a surprise that middle aged people would be protesting and not young people.

They are more likely to have health issues or have parents with health issues while access to care is getting worse.

They are more likely to have kids who they will lose to Australia or who will be living at home into there 30s or 40s due to a worsening housing crisis.

They are more likely to be involved as a parent or grand parent to the worsening crisis of finding a local school.

While young adults are more likely living at home, in college and less likely to have kids or medical issues and thinking about pints on the weekend is one of the main concerns.

They also grow more wise and when goverment and media are blaming the far right for everything in a country where the largest far right party got around 200 votes last election they are not less likely to be fooled by lies and misinformation.

Yes iv known a few from college days with childlike views as you put it who have changed there views once they stepped into the real world and were affected by our diminishing access to services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlexBenson88

"Thank you for initiating this important discussion on immigration to Ireland. It is indeed a complex topic that requires thoughtful consideration. While it's essential to remain sympathetic to genuine refugees and their plight, we must also recognize the practical limitations our country faces in providing support.

As a nation with limited resources and existing domestic challenges, finding a balance is crucial. We should be open to helping those in need while being realistic about our capacity to provide support. Effective vetting processes and timely decisions on applicants' claims are essential to ensure a fair and efficient system.

It's also important to distinguish between refugees, economic migrants, and other newcomers, each with distinct circumstances and needs. Welcoming those with skills that benefit our society can contribute positively to our country's growth.

At the same time, we must address the strain on resources and services, ensuring that both existing residents and newcomers receive the support they require.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nursing home shelved with refugees to go in instead apparently. Was there ever a truer line than the one from a local councillor? - we have to call a halt at some point. Maybe Dublin 4 with their 6 asylum seekers out of 21000 could step up to the plate?!

This is over-saturation,” he said. “Rosslare and Kilrane simply cannot take any more refugees. We don’t have the services. We don’t have the GPs, the school places, the public realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can understand people getting annoyed at overpopulation of refugees but the big failure by the Irish government is their lack of research of exactly whose coming in here whether they be Europeans or from elsewhere.

We have a lot of recidivist criminals coming in here from others countries. These people play into the hands of racists and other agenda driven people who don't want anybody coming in here. Basically they give a bad name to the large majority of immigrants who are honest and hardworking.

I just don't understand how we cannot set up an immigration research department to prevent known criminals from getting in to our country.

It's not like we aren't wasting loads of money with civil servants doing trivial, unnecessary tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

@Gatling said "One thing I've noticed none of the pro immigration posters don't seem to have have any lines,

It all more ,more,more we can take more and we can do more .."

That worked out so well in New York. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66259075

New York was a "sanctuary city" inviting migrants from all over the world to stay there. Now it's full and the mayor is sending flyers in Spanish and English telling them not to come as the city is over capacity.

It's all well and good until it isn't and then what do the open borders crowd have to say?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

A small number of those “ sad cases “ you refer to will get very good careers in media , academia or the NGO sector where they get paid handsomely to wag their fingers at middle Ireland so I wouldn’t feel too sorry for them

they inhabit a bubble so are profoundly unaware of the idiots they are and damage they cause

Considering we have no idea who is in our country from anywhere in the EU or the UK, I don't think we have a lot of chance to research any of their backgrounds.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another reminder

This thread is about immigration. We have separate threads where the refugee situation can be discussed under strict thread rules

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in thread

But that’s a completely different situation

UK and Ireland have a common travel area while the EU is the EU - we have international agreements regarding the sharing of information etc

If a person immigrates here from Slovakia or Manchester or whatever they will firstly go through passport control where they will present their passport (imagine!) and we know who they are as if anything happens we can access information on them from their home countries.

It’s so completely different to someone just arriving with no documentation and us having to take them at their word I am baffled you would even attempt to draw such a comparison.

Ah no, if anyone comes into this country we have no idea if they are on holidays, here for ever, here for criminal purposes (which does happen with some criminal gangs from eastern Europe, flying in for a few days, committing crimes, then going home)

it's not recorded.

it's not a comparison, I'm trying to point out that we have no idea who is here, and no, checks are not done on UK and EU citizens coming into the country.

I agree that it can be very very difficult with people arriving here with no documents, telling false stories etc, the thing about asylum seekers is that while some may come under false identities, we have fingerprints, photographs and addresses for all these people. So, if something happens, like you say, we have knowledge about these people, in the country.

we also have information on all visa holders

we have no knowledge of UK and EU citizens.

I'm merely interested in the security of the state and possible criminal activity. I'm not suggesting anything other then we need to have a mandatory registration for every non citizen coming here to live. There's no reason why we shouldn't, many other EU countries have this system.

Yeah I’d be happy enough for a registry like you outlined in your final paragraph to be brought in

Yeah, I think it's crazy that we don't have one actually, makes us very attractive for criminals too, as does the lack of Gardai, but that's a different thread!

I think we agree more then you think.😁

@suvigirl I agree that it can be very very difficult with people arriving here with no documents, telling false stories etc, the thing about asylum seekers is that while some may come under false identities, we have fingerprints, photographs and addresses for all these people. So, if something happens, like you say, we have knowledge about these people, in the country...

We have knowledge of these people we have identifications on individual that we don't know there real names or where they come from, for them to disappear all they have to do is change there address and the authorities have already lost them ,

We don't have any units in this country Gardai or otherwise who are actively tracking and detaining failed asylum seekers or foreign criminals for deportation,you can have all of the photos and fingerprints you want they are useless if nobody is actually looking for the person's they belong to .

We have an ongoing case of a triple killer walled in here and claimed asylum and it was publicly denied, we don't know who and what's coming into this country

Its actually not on putting up a link that has no address or behind a paywall.

As for circumventing that I have tried but it still won't allow access.

The reason it is not allowed afaik is that it is introducing something to a discussion but withholds from other users the wherewithal to fully explore it.

Telling me to go buy SBP after you have quoted it is just rude.

Its not like I can google it as all I get are bites from Gript or the like who I would not trust to give any correct information.

If you have access and you quote it and use it in discussion you should endeavour to supply the whole piece of research.

I would like to read it in full because Red C have been accused before of skewing results through questioning only a portion of their sample further, so it is a valid objection.

I cannot discuss something that I don't have full details of...

I have tried to engage reasonably but not worth this agro.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement

Agreed, UK and EU citizens have free reign and we have no idea who is coming into the country.

GNIB members deport people who need deporting.

NBCI have an extradition unit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement