Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

The fact that it was noticeably cooler in the West or has been a poor July has got nothing to do with the topic we're discussing.

It was the warmest June since 1976 in the East. It wasn't cold. It's irrelevant whether the West was warmer or not or whether we were cooler. It was still warm - the warmest since 1976.

I can guarantee you if July had been good everyone would still be saying how great June was ("aren't we blessed with 2 months in a row of good weather").

But because July was awful we're now rewriting June because we now don't think June was exceptional enough to make up for the crap July.

Thank God Syran is still on here to provide actual stats and statistics and not antidotes and feelings (or complaints about bad insulation in someone's home meaning a record breaking month temp wise was somehow cool).

Post edited by compsys on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Last August was so good, charts like this from the 11th 😞 mid 20s even right on the east coast, light easterly breeze, unbroken sunshine 👌

The fact this was "standard" in August 1995 and lasted longer, I am always jealous thinking of you lucky folk that got to experience that cracker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm not going to comment on June any further, we've all made our points countless times to the point where it's just boring now and is derailing the thread. Time to move on and stop arguing for the sake of it. Back to the present and it's another awful day with gales and non stop rain despite the radar not really showing moderate to heavy precipitation which is a bit odd. Temperature currently only 13C, absolutely disgraceful stuff for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

I agree with you on the recent weather at least Gonzo. It was a very poor July (first 5 days or so were OK, that was about it) and August has started off even poorer.

One would have to think it can't continue much longer. Hopefully we'll get a decent September at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sweet Jaysus we thought it couldn't get any worse then August came.

Not only is it lashing rain like all of July and very windy but now we have temperatures of only 13 degrees!

This is a joke, for those of us that do the monthly weather contest we will probably get our lowest Max temperature today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could this be a new climate for Ireland in years to come due to climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Was 2020 really that bad, as I don't remember it been that wet at all, but judging by the table you provided, the Summer of 2020 was a complete washout as well. You would think it would stick even more in our minds considering it was our first Covid Summer, so it should have been even more miserable considering we were all stuck inside constantly.

Post edited by gilly1910 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Spring was amazing, so that has probably clouded memories

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Clouded. A+ for the pun there Thelonious, whether it was intended or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Not much to be said that hasn't already been posted, pure cat since late June. At least it was fairly mild, not that that's something to brag about. It feels like the last several pages are the same posts just repeated over and over.

Spent the weekend in Belgium and no difference in the weather. Wet heading to Dublin Airport, wet when we landed on Dussledorf and mostly wet in Belgium and wet taking off for home and lashing again when we landed in Dublin yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Or in the south east. The last 10 days of June whilst warm were predominantly cloudy and at times very wet with thunderstorms.

The last 10 days of June were most certainly not glorious in south Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Who cares if June was hot or sunny, its gone ,its the weather now that's the issue and it's woeful..is there anything summer like on the horizon? Even 2 or 3 days in a row of sunny weather ( Dublin specific)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I mentioned nothing about the last 10 days of June

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

East Co Galway. 17° and the rain sheeting sideways. Can't see my tomatoes ripening at all this year.

Sun out now and and hitting 18c after a damp morning

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Sun out now, you must be in Southern Europe 😂 Still belting down in Dublin, looks like I will also be getting soaked on the cycle home, bad enough getting soaked on the way in this morning.

No southern Ireland😉 And back to a shower now again

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheStonecutter

2020 was awful. Not as bad as 2012, but it started raining on June 2nd, and was consistently grey, wet and cold until mid September. It was the middle of Covid, so you couldn’t really go anywhere anyway, which is probably why people didn’t notice how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

I cycle a fair bit out by Blessington and by this time of the year you would normally see beaches on the lakes . I've never seen them so full as they are at this time of the year. The levels barely moved since their high levels at the end of March. Presumably many rivers, reservoirs are also higher than they should be at this time, if we get a wet Autumn and winter i suspect flooding will be an issue , especially west of the Shannon.

• Advertisement

You agreed with a poster who said the end of may and most of June was dry in Tipp. It wasn’t that’s all I’m saying.

Well it was dry in my area,it was the 26th of June before I saw any rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I ordered a depression lamp to help me boost my mood ,its for winter but we haven't had a summer so I need it now ,I hope it works anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Any sign of the weather taking up over the next week or 2? It's cold the last 2 evenings. Today and yesterday were fairly dry here. It rained a lot from around 10pm until 9am but no showers here today and only one yesterday. But the last 2 evenings have felt chilly. Would love some nice sunshine before summer officially ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo seems to have lost interest in posting in the post 120 hours model thread, so that would indicate there is no sign of a sustained settled spell on the model output. However we could get 2 - 3 days of settled weather around the 10th of August. It looks like it might be back to unsettled weather after that . We will probably get a longer settled spell at the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That place can look nice even in bad weather! I was up where they filmed the old Ghoul summoning people into the water. It looked great with the low hanging cloud over the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not too bad today in Sligo after last night's deluge. Extremely dark though but blue sky this evening with no sun . Its as if the sun has emigrated.

Rain or showers all the days showing on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I'd be happy if it took up the last week or even dried up so you could plan some outdoor activities without having to worry about the rain. Heading away for 10 days around the middle of the month so would love to come home to some nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Actually been a long time since I was able to say this, but it's a lovely evening here in the far North.

Only a small bit of drizzle earlier today, and although not warm, it's been sunny and breezy for good part of the day. Even got the grass cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Whats the story with the sun only coming out late in the day just before dark -another slap in the face

Advertisement