Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Almost "as laughable" as you suggesting you know more than multiple DPPs, as you have done, multiple times on this thread???

I'll translate the rest of your post into its real meaning: I'm unable to find cases similar to the scenario I've outlined for the murder, so now I'm going to shift the goalposts to the entire width of the field. Now the scenario is a man attacking a woman!!!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Back to the conspiracy theory nonsense. Eugene Gilligan was in on it, multiple other members of the Gardaí were in on it, Bill Fuller was in on it, any other witnesses to his confessions were in on it, witnesses to the fire were in on it, who else was in on this?

I said that the DPP are not infallible. You're questioning Eugene Gilligan's integrity. Again, I choose to believe him and the many others over Bailey and his supporters.

Already dealt with the first part of your post.

Your second point has already been rubbished. I'm not sure why you keep going back to it. It's a complete strawman and completely pointless. No one has claimed that the exact scenario happened before.

What people have claimed is that it is the leading theory. You can stick with your conspiracy theories if you want to. You're free to do so. Doesn't mean that others can't stick with Bailey being the main suspect based on his history of violence, his lies, his injuries, his motive and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

So anything found in the fire - clothing, buttons, whatever can't be linked to the crime . So therefore anything found in the fire is irrelevant isn't it.

Why would it be irrelevant if the stuff burnt in the fire was done so to destroy evidence?

• Advertisement

It was a man burning old clothing and rubbish which was normal event at that time - there is nothing whatsover to suggest he was burning evidence. The DPP didnt think he was burning evidence. So Im sorry to tell you it is irrelevent.

This is not a conspiracy theory. There is documented evidence of dodgy Garda behaviour in this case - as recorded in the Bandon tapes, GSOC report,. Then we have Marie Farrell and her accusations about AGS conduct, which like everything she says could be fantasy, but either way reflects badly on AGS for their interactions with her.

You ignoring that in your replies doesn't alter the reality that it has occurred and was covered as headlines in major national news.

This has been pointed out to you on the thread already by multiple posters.

Pretending otherwise is an entirely bad faith argument.

So are you questioning the DPP's integrity now??? Because you "chose" not to believe the DPP.

The DPP looked at the evidence, looked at the witness statements and "chose" to by and large accept Bailey's version of events. So are they "in on it"??? It seems like you are the one peddling a conspiracy theory if that is the standard you want to set.

But apparently if I query a statement by a Guard I am questioning their integrity. But when you dispute the DPP you are not!

The obvious self serving nature of this argument is plain.

How do you know? An experienced Garda forensic expert seemed to think the fire may have burnt evidence. For that reason, it's can't be dismissed and it's very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Why would it be irrelevant if the stuff burnt in the fire was done so to destroy evidence?

More supposition (my emphasis). One cannot build evidence based on supposition.

There is uncertainty about when the fire was, both Ian and Jules indicated it was a month or so earlier.

Has the type of garment these buttons came from even been identified, not that it would be of much evidential value because we don't know what the murderer was wearing.

How do you know? An experienced Garda forensic expert seemed to think the fire may have burnt evidence. For that reason, it's can't be dismissed and it's very relevant.

The words I highlighted above in your statement is the problem - thinking it means nothing whatsover.

• Advertisement

Again, you failed to answer the question. How many people were in on this conspiracy? How many people were lying?

I haven't spoken about Maria Farrell and I've said the investigation was flawed numerous times. The list against Bailey exists completely separately to the Garda investigation. They didn't invent that he beat Jules to a pulp, they didn't create his injuries, they didn't make him lie about his whereabouts, they didn't force him to confess to numerous different people and so on.

I said the DPP were not infallible, you were linking Eugene Gilligan with malpractice. Read back over your posts.

One could say you're hoist on your petard. 😂

Of course it's if. No one knows for sure. But again, you have to believe that others are lying or mistaken while Bailey is telling the truth. You have to believe that a huge number of times in order to rule Bailey out. When you're explaining you're losing. And Bailey has had to do an awful lot of explaining.

But isn't that the point of people burning evidence? Added with everything else, the timing of the fire and what was burnt adds suspicion to Bailey. Especially as he may be lying about when it was started.

You've said the investigation was 'flawed'. That is a vague and unspecific term. It does not acknowledged the documented Garda malpractice and misconduct with witnesses such as Marie Farrell. GSOC would have brought charges only the Guard in question was deceased. There is also the Bandon tapes where senior Guards are putting pressure on another Guard to engage in malpractice with regard to a witness statement.

So therefore, it is entirely legitimate to query statements made by Guards that are not in the DPP report. Guards are not infallible either. And in this case as we have seen, it has been established that some Guards are willing to engage in malpractice and misconduct. The list against Bailey is a product of not just a flawed investigation but one where proper procedures were not followed, and malpractice was engaged in.

The DPP has looked at all this evidence. More than one DPP. With decades of experience. You were the one above making an appeal to authority and experience. Well, the DPP has the authority and the experience and in this case there are no questions about its integrity.

Therefore, if one is genuinely swayed by an argument from authority \ experience - as you claimed to be above when it suited your argument at the time - then the DPP version of events is the one that has more credibility.

And that report did not just conclude there was insufficient evidence, it also in several cases accepted Bailey's version of events. And the statements of witnesses that supported Baileys version of events.

That's a long post basically accepting what I said. I just claimed that the DPP were not infallible, you were questioning the integrity of a long serving forensic expert. Poor form. He had no reason to lie and a random Bailey supporter on the internet indicating he did shows that it is you who has no credibility.

Also because you continually fail to answer any questions put to you:

How many people were in on this conspiracy? How many people were lying?

Again there is no proof he was burning evidence. Surely he would have lit a fire earlier than the 26th if he was burning evidence.

He lit a fire on St Stephens day - its not unusual for people to be getting rid of rubbish after christmas to make room for presents, get rid of packaging etc. Again I will point out to you that at that time in the country people lit fires to dispose of rubbish - everyone did. Therefore everyone who lit a fire in that area that week was potentially burning evidence and should be suspects

By your logic everyone who lit a fire, disposed of rubbish, has no alibi, and has a history of violence should be a suspect.

Of course there's no proof. If there was do you think we'd still be discussing this?

But he burnt clothes, shoes and a mattress and he said he didn't start the fire on St Stephen's day so he may have been lying. This added with the things you listed, the injuries, the proximity to the scene and the fact that he said he did it means he's the most viable suspect. No one else comes close to the level of suspicion against Bailey.

No, that is an entirely bad faith misrepresentation of what was in my post and you know it. Nowhere is anything you said accepted.

But do you think we don't notice how incredibly obvious it is you clam up completely when it is put to you the facts about Garda malpractice in this case? You continually 'fail' to register any awareness of it in your posts, even though it has been presented to you multiple times on the thread in direct replies to you.

And anyone following the case in the media would be aware of it. They were headline stories in national news.

It's transparent.

Do you acknowledge and accept the evidence of Garda malpractice?

As documented in the Bandon tapes, GSOC report? Or do you need them to tell you exactly how many people were lying and and continue to ignore the documented evidence???

The Garda investigation being flawed is completely irrelevant to anything I've posted. Why wouldn't I accept any Garda malpractice? Again, more strawmaning from you. What you're trying to brush aside is you sneakily trying to drag a Garda forensic expert with years of service into it. Trying to blacken his name to discredit his findings and now trying to weasel out of it. That's what's transparent here.

And who else was in on the conspiracy? The guards, all the people who heard his confessions? The people who saw his injuries? How many people were involved?

Based on GSOC and DPP, clearly there are legitimate questions about the integrity and\or fallibility of the Guards involved in this case. Which is why - and I reject your entirely bad faith misrepresentation of 'sneakily drag' and 'weasel' - I have posted that statements by the Guards in this case do not get the benefit of the doubt where they are not corroborated independently or accepted by the DPP.

There is nothing 'sneaky' about questioning the Garda conduct in this case, when there is documented evidence of Garda malpractice.

These so called 'findings' do not appear in the DPP report. So I must not be the only one who does not accept these so called 'findings'. Does that mean the DPP is sneakily blackening the names of Garda when they do not accept their evidence???

So simple question: Do you acknowledge and accept the evidence of Garda malpractice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I don't rule Ian Bailey out but given the scrutiny he has come under without any evidence being found I think it is more likely the investigating Gardaí were looking in the wrong place.

I'm open to following evidence and seeing where it leads, but the problem is there is little real evidence, so until shown to the contrary all possibilities must remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

Wasn't there something about the DPP report that was funny. Was it written by a junior member of staff? I can't remember and I am not at the computer. In Malocco's book I think it was I read it.

You got your opportunity to give evidence that the buttons were not subjected to analysis and you couldn't. So I am ignoring your strawmanning until you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Per Barry Roche article in the Irish Times around the time of Bailey’s failed action against An Garda Síochána:

“Robert Sheehan: A law officer in the Office of the DPP, Sheehan, now retired, was the officer with control of the Garda file on the murder and, in November 2001, he wrote an analysis of the evidence linking Ian Bailey to the murder and concluded the evidence did not warrant a prosecution.

He was also highly critical of the gardaí in his analysis. Although his analysis was not admitted in evidence in the High Court case, he was scathing of gardaí and expressed serious reservations about the veracity of statements taken from witnesses Marie Farrell, Michael Oliver and Geraldine Camier.

Following legal argument in the absence of the jury, Mr Justice Hedigan ruled Mr Sheehan could not give opinion evidence and his testimony ended rather abruptly.”

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

You seem to like to discredit other theories as Hollywood scripts. How about if I was saying that about your statements and postings here? Could be la la land as well.

I personally would find the hitman theory within the realm of possibilities, especially in light of the financial stakes for her husband. One would think that a hitman would use a firearm with a silencer, but if he was travelling he couldn't get that one passed security, and getting one in Ireland is probably too risky even on the black market.

And it is just a theory, like all the others. From a strict perspective of motive, it sure is a strong one.

You were unable to explain why 'coat buttons' werent mentioned in the DPP report even though the bonfire and coat were heavily discussed. That was the most pertinent moment of opportunity for such evidence to be introduced.

I was offering possible explanations as to why it was not.

There is obviously some explanation as to why. If you have a better one now is your opportunity.

You were unable to show evidence the buttons were not analysed. Everything else is you trying to move goalposts

No shifting of goalposts. It is you who are unable to answer basic questions relevant to the claims you have cited.

What is your explanation as to why there is no mention of coat buttons anywhere else eg DPP report?

You were questioning Eugene Gilligan specifically. There have been no findings against him. You are trying to weasel out of it instead of retracting the statement. Really bad form. And again, where have I not accepted the malpractice of some guards?

All you're throwing out is strawman arguments, misrepresenting others posts, dodging questions put to you and then trying to sully someone's good name. I'm not sure why you expect reasonable engagement when you're at that craic.

• Advertisement

Of course but until something concrete shows up, Bailey remains the main suspect.

Advertisement