Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex for free rent: Why is this so wrong between consenting adults?

Options
  • 02-08-2023 3:25pm

This story - https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/08/02/sinn-fein-publishes-bill-to-ban-seeking-sex-in-exchange-for-rent/

The key point here, as I see it, is that two consenting adults enter into, or do not enter into, an adult relationship where one gives sex in return for the other giving free accommodation. If everything is agreed clearly in advance beforehand and there is no coercion of any sort, what is the problem?

People make all sorts of "grubby" deals in order to make a living. Sex is just another commodity. Power imbalances exist in all of our relationships, and these frequently determine our rights (for instance, if you do not have the money for a protracted legal case, the person who has the money but a weaker case will usually restrict your exercise of your rights). As with the ban on prostitution, this sort of proposal reflects a certain prudishness about sex, and imposes a certain moral view of it.

Can anybody justify this proposal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ever hear of Robert Paul Champagne? He has a cool video - try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

If accommodation was plentiful or cheap then perhaps arrangements such as you mention might not seem to be potentially coercive towards those who would otherwise choose to avoid such transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its coercion, exploitation and obtaining sexual favours through a position of dominance over a person in some level of desperation.

That "grubby' deals are made in life doesn't make it right and the whole point of criminal law is protect the weaker from the stronger with malign intent.

It should be a specific crime punishable by prison time, with lesser sentences for soliciting the deal. That will kill it instantly, because most of the creatures suggesting it must surely be ugly sweaty incels who couldn't get a woman if they were sold in Dealz.

And if I heard that any friend of mine was trying that on with property they owned, I'd kick their ****ing ass up and down the street for themselves.

If it's between two consenting adults, the state should have no right to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, but they're NOT consenting.

Consent under duress is not consent and the landlord can easily make it an "unofficial" condition of accomodation or that he'll rent to someoen else. He could even threaten eviction (not the official reason of eviction though).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

If its a joint decision that both parties are happy with then fine but there is a power imbalance in most of these cases with one party being subject to potential coercion.

Sexual coercion is not ok and tbh I'm quite surprised you don't seem to see the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Could say the same about a private entity ending a contract or agreement with a client.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Because the lines between consent and coercion become blurred. If the alternative is to live on the streets, is it really consent?

Predatory sexual behaviour is as much about power as violence. The predator will find a "power" they can hold over their victim and use it to expliot.

Is everyone who agrees to such an arrangement a victim? Of course not. But how do you tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How can you hope to provide adequate consent under such a skewed power/control dynamic?

Legalizing sex in lieu of rent just encourages the Jeffrey Epsteins and Harvey Weinsteins and Bill Cosbys of the world to become mass realtors. Chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Are some people really trying to argue that coercing a tenant into sexual favours is, somehow, ok?

Fuck

ing

hell

:/

• Advertisement

I'm not approving the arrangement; it's not something that I think should be encouraged in society.

But ultimately we have to ask the question -- would the acceptor of the arrangement want legislation passed to ban the arrangement?

I suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd be inclined to agree with you if it is the landlord proposing/ demanding such an arrangement from a person desperate for cheap accommodation.

There are problems though with banning such an arrangement, apart from the difficulty of stopping private arrangements.

What if it's the tenant who proposes or instigates sex for reduced rent to the landlord? Do you ban that? And what if both parties go along with it and then the tenant tries to blackmail the landlord by threatening to report them?

Like a lot of things to do with personal relationships, the area is fraught. An O'Broin is just on a bandwagon jumping, attention seeking publicity run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I had an arrangement with one of my tenants for a number of years. There was absolutely no coercion or anything like that involved. She had started to rent off me while working and we came to an arrangement (at her suggestion) when she decided to go back to college.

To be honest it was very mutually beneficial. She didn't want to leave her apartment and end up renting some sh*thole. I didn't need the money. It was a fantastic arrangement to be honest.

My wife started asking about why the rent was reduced (was only a small amount as I had multiple properties). I fobbed her off telling her it was because of rent pressure zones. Bought her a chanel handbag which ended the nagging.

Anyway, all worked well. Eventually the girl moved on to move in with her boyfriend but was a very convenient arrangement for us both for the few years.

No, because "coercion" is by definition non-consensual.

If it's two adults, mutually consenting to the arrangement without the threat of coercion, then nobody - certainly not the state - has the right to intervene in the rights of private-personal arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's absolutely no surprise at all that the likes of you would think sex for rent would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why would there be any legal consequences if it's two consenting adults?

Who would bring the case to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Its not duress though if its a condition set out in advance that both parties have time to consider to be fair.

Looks like some dude managed to read a chapter of Ayn Rand. Libertarianism is so Internet 2011. Like Richard Dawkins acolytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I wonder how revenue would treat that? Benefit In Kind?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people are forced to make decisions all the time that they don't think are fair. just because they have been placed in a situation where the only decision left to them is one they'd still prefer not to have to make, and they decide to proceed, does not make it 'fair'.

"I'll let you have this scarce resource, not for fair market rate, but in exchange for demeaning yourself and allowing an undesired and unwanted violation of your body."

You really don't have a clue about how common law jurisdictions work, or natural justice, or the protection of rights from manipulation, blackmail and fraud do you??

If you truly believe all that bullshyt you just said, you belong somewhere where none of these basic protections exist, maybe Myanmar or North Korea.

I think its quite clear what the legislation is setting out to do. It's one thing to enter into a casual relationship of a purely physical nature because its desired by both parties, its another for one to use their position to coerce someone into doing something they feel they have no choice but to do in order to avoid being made homeless. Do you really need to have that explained to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Would condoms/sex toys etc be tax deducatable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

But that isn't the only decision left to them, ant equally the same argument that made against this could be made against high or indeed any level of rent.

Is it coercion to propose to charge someone €2000 for a room in someones house?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Who is the' acceptor' here?

What are you on about?

The person looking for accomodation is being sexually exploited, same as when a boss offers a payrise for sexual favours, a director offers an actor a film part for sex, a drug dealer.. a trafficker...

There is no difference between this and any other sexual exploitation.

It is criminal behaviour.

What happens if at some point you no longer want to be part of the arrangement? Do you think your landlord should be able to use the threat of eviction?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be all for this if it was legally required that any landlord who wanted sex in lieu of rent had to publically declare so. in for a penny, in for a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's wrong because the Catholic Church have been left out of their traditional definition of marriage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Why are people assuming that there are two consenting adults?

Giving consent under duress of any kind is not consent.

In any of the transactions mentioned above the person being sexually exploited knows that at least they can go to the guards. And the exploiter knows it is illegal.

Less likely to happen in the first place or to progress.

Puts a different complexion on it.

Advertisement