Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's a fair viewpoint but my advice isn't to get too hung up over the payback period. It's important, but it's far from the only metric you should look at

Most of the things we spend money on will never generate a return. I don't think anyone asks what the payback period on a holiday is for example

Yeah you can argue that spending the money on an extension or attic conversion or new kitchen might increase the value of the home, but that's only really worth anything when you're trying to sell the house. So technically if you never sell the house then they never pay for themselves

Solar panels will also increase your house value, but they're one of the few things you can spend money on that'll start putting money back in your pocket from day 1

I've also heard it argued that you can generate more returns if you invested into savings bonds or stocks. My counter argument is that most savings bonds that generate a decent return will have a longer term than the payback of most solar panels.

Then there's the stock market option, but frankly that's just gambling with extra steps and even if you make money, you need to sell the shares to use it. Last I checked Aldi doesn't take Tesla stock or Bitcoin as payment

It's also worth saying that having more money in your pocket every month enables you to save more into those other savings paths

My system is looking to have a payback period of around 6-7 years. I would say the payback period is important for figuring out the right level of investment versus return, but overall as long as it isn't something silly like 20 years then you're almost guaranteed to do well out of it

Anyway, that's my sales pitch for anyone still reading 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

So I signed up through the community plan for Flogas which says 29.99c per kw - https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html

I've had the letter through with my account number and a final bill from Bord Gais - so it's gone through.

I rang Flogas and they confirmed I was on the community plan fixed for 12 months, but at a rate of 35c per kw. So it's a bit less than their main rate online, but more expensive than the link above says.

I didn't argue it too much as it's still nearly 10c cheaper than Bord Gais, although the standing charge is 96x compared to 88c so not sure I'm going to be saving any money!

Anyone know why it might be different quote to the above link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I don't understand, why are you pay 35c per unit if you signed up for 29.99c?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

How can it change to 35c when it still says 29c online now and it's fixed? I just filled in the form today to move the the night meter version from energia so they better not try an change the rates!. I've saved a pdf of the rates with the tarrifs noted as back up if they try to get out of that. My only concern is that I don't see any mention of the microgen payment on the community plan where as it mentions it on thier regular fixed rate plan. Anyone else moved to the community plan and received Microgen payment OK?

That was my thinking too.

I didn't argue it when I rang because I wanted to check in on boards first - usually a bit more helpful! But I might call them back now.

• Advertisement

So I called them back - she said that the description on my account says I'm signed up to the community plan, but the rate wasn't applied correctly. So she's going to send an email to their processing team to have it adjusted and it'll be backdated.

I'm going to call up in a couple of days to make sure it's done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

Do they ever make a mistake in the customer's favour I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

I’ve said it here before, but saying it again, as their electricity rates are the most compeditive currently, so many new signups are happening.

Flogas have an archiac system, their online account system is like something from the 1970’s, and there is no app, so one needs to check everything, is correct.

Also, if they make an error on your bill, they credit you with €30, it is part of their customer service charter. Am with them for gas since last September, and they got the rate wrong on my first bill, and applied a €30 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I didn’t know about that €30 for an error on your Flogas bill. They charged me the wrong gas rate on a few units when moved to the Community plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭tlaavtech

I signed up to the FloGas community plan too. Was told I would get a welcome pack within 14 days, but that never arrived. My cooling-off was coming to an end and didn't have any confirmation of rates, so I rang them. Was told they couldn't see the rates on the community plan!!

Got my final bills from Bord Gais, so it went through. Good to know I can get the rates I signed up for by chasing them.

Yeah they're pretty slow with new customers, I get the feeling they're a bit overwhelmed with the number of people signing up and their systems are somewhat outdated

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hero25

@the_amazing_raisin at the risk of building up peoples hopes..... are those figures accurate?

Thanks for input as Im also considering solar etc and want to get an idea of savings & payback duration.

a level pay of 260 p/m = 3120 per annum (with ~14,000 units per annum, thats a cost of 22c per unit - is that correct in today's market?)

a level of pay of 60 p/m = 720 per annum.

By my calculations 14000 units at todays prices, inc Standing charge and VAT.... would cost approx 5500 per annum (??) .. unless 75% of usage was night.

I cant see how that could drop to 720 with Solar.

What size solar system and did you get 1 or more batteries?

I hope Im wrong 😀

No worries, hopefully my math checks out 😁

I'm loathe to try and paste a spreadsheet into boards, it'll probably take the site down again

Very roughly, I was using 6000kWh of Day units and 4700kWh of Night units

Currently I'm paying €0.3338/kWh for Day rate and €0.1475/kWh Night rate including VAT

That works out to €2696, plus another €302 for standing charges is just under €3,000 per year or €250 per month

I've installed a 6kWp system with a 10kWh battery, cost of installation was a bit under €14,500

I reckon this will reduce my grid consumption down to around 5,000kWh and I can shift the majority of this to night rate. So assuming 80% night rate consumption gives me a cost of €923, plus €302 standing charges for a total of €1,225

However, I'll also get an income of around €400 from deemed export, plus the €97 refund of the PSO levy brings it down to around €730 or just over €60 per month

Based on all that my savings are €190 per month or €2,280 per year. Based on my original outlay my payback period is a bit over 6 years

Now I'll be the first to admit that is a bit optimistic on some fronts but so far the results are tracking with what I had predicted.

I suspect I'll be losing the deemed export soon with the switch to Smart meters and the PSO levy has already been set to €0 from October, so not as much money back

Even without those you're still looking at savings of €150 per month, which is money back in my pocket 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can't count the PSO levy as you'd be getting that saving anyway. FIT is nice to have but will be going soon. I would exclude those, the figures work out for PV anyway so there's no need to stat pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Solar PV makes a lot of sense with current energy prices but when those prices start normalising again the savings are obviously going to drop and payback period is going to push out.

I think long term the bigger benefit of PV will be in the price stability you'll get from it. You'll be insulated far more from changes in the energy market.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hero25

@the_amazing_raisin thanks for that detail. It all makes sense and is a bit re-assuring. I use ~14000 per annum and am looking at options. Uouve a bit less usage than 14k, thats why original figures had me worried i was being screwed somewhere!

yourself and subsequent poster both mention that FIT will be gone soon.... thats a huge item to factor into Solar installations/payback times. has anyone any more details on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Even if electricity gets back to the cheaper pre 2020 prices, solar still pays off. And in those days there was no FIT either.

I havent had an electricity bill this year so far. I'm still 150 quid or so in credit, thanks to FIT and the governmet credits and reduced grid imports due to PV.

Well the prices have been elevated for 3 years so I'd say we're in the new normal unfortunately.

They may drop but I've yet to see anything which says they'll be back to pre 2019 levels when electricity was dirt cheap

Remember that 4c EV night rate from Energia? Don't think we'll be seeing that again 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

I'm not saying there still won't be savings with PV if/when prices come down it's just to be careful calculating payback prices based of current record prices.

They don't have to go back to 2019/20 prices either. If they halve from where there are now the payback period will effectively double.

That doesn't mean solar PV is a bad investment it's just that the main benefit from the panels for a long time might be in the price stability rather than putting more money in your pocket.

• Advertisement

In general the more electricity you're using then the more you save as you'll be able to self consume more of what you generate

Regarding the FIT, I'll admit I'm a bit murky on the details but the good times are probably ending soon

Basically at the moment everyone on a Day/Night meter gets an estimated export amount (deemed export). This is generally more favourable than metered export if you have a large battery or one or more EVs because you'll be self consuming almost everything you generate

From September this year the D/N meters will be replaced with Smart meters meaning you'll get metered export instead

If you refuse a smart meter then you won't receive any FIT payments

Some suppliers may require you to move to a Smart tariff before receiving a FIT payment. Since the night rates there are generally higher then you'll probably end up saving more

Funnily enough this probably makes a PV system more attractive because you'll want to avoid as much import from the grid as possible, particularly those killer peak rates.

There's also some EV specific Smart plans which usually have around 3-4 hours of very low rates during the night. If you can charge your cars plus your house battery during this time and it's enough to keep you going through most of the day then you can save some money as well

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

When I talked to them, they tried the same thing: "Flogas is fixed rate, so you may be locked into a higher rate as prices come down."

At the end of the call, after I told them I'd think about their offer (a mere 15% off, which the woman on the phone swore up and down was the very best they could do), she said: "You should sign up for these rates now. That way you lock them in and you have 14 days to cancel."

So, in summary: you should avoid the Flogas fixed rate because prices might be coming down. But you should lock in with us now because prices might be going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

You can always break a contract if better deals come along. Only €50 and they may not even charge it, as in the case of us (And others) last September with Bord Gais. We changed to the great fixed deal with Energia, only 4 weeks remaining unfortunately. It really has been a great deal, with two cars on 8c/kWh and almost no day usage due to a modest solar array.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread ...

Yeah that sounds like the totally contradictory and yet impeccable logic that would come from the sales department 😂

When they rang me they had a similar story, best they could do was 15% discount

I mentioned the Flogas offer and they admitted they couldn't match it to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

@the_amazing_raisin I'd imagine solar generation is way back considering how bad the weather has been over the last 6 weeks?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

To put it bluntly, I'd get more shining a torch at the panels some days last month 😬

However, it still held it's own, the house was almost self sufficient for most of the month and I still beat expectations

I was expecting to generate 693kWh from the calculator and managed 763kWh with a self use rate of 99%

Even managed to power a gigantic bouncy castle with 2 air pumps for a whole weekend and only used about €7 extra of electricity

The big issue in the end was I was driving more than usual and between that and the lower output from the panels I had to charge the car from the grid a bit.

Still managed around 60% driving on solar, overall I imported 36kWh day rate and 138kWh night rate for the month of July

August is off the an abominable start, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up using the heating after today 😕

I'm starting to redo some of my schedules to heat the water at night rate so it doesn't drain the battery in the morning. I'll probably go back to running the washing machine and dishwasher overnight as well

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Not sure if solar panels save money? Think of panels as a permanent fixture attached to your roof that produces free electricity. How much does this "free electricity" fixture actually cost you?

Imagine there are two houses on sale. One with solar panels, one without. The house with solar panels is €15k more expensive. The mortgage term equals PV longevity of 20 - 25 years.

It turns out that the difference in mortgages is about €60 a month. That's a simple way to calculate the cost of going solar for anyone.

Will panels generate at least €60 worth of energy a month for the investment to be worthwhile?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Quickly, yeah. Say 6kwp of panels at a rough guess, and we shall say no battery for easy calcs.

Should generate about 4800 kwh.

Let's be pessimistic and say self use is 35% (that's what mine is excluding battery, immersion diverts etc)

Flogas community 24 hr is 30c day, 24 c export. One of the best 24 hr rates at the moment

1680kwh, self use = €500

3120kwh, export = €740*

Yearly saving of 1240. 103/m

*There is a 200 euro tax free per person on the bill, anything about that is taxed as extra income. It seems it has to be self declared as extra income..(not an accountant!)

So far based on my experience, yes 😁

But every cases varies, so it's important to do your own calculations and see how much you're willing and able to invest

I do think there's a seriously good case for anyone with a south facing roof to cover that face with panels

Even if you're a fairly low consumer you can make a decent bit of income from the current export rates

Personally I think systems without a least a small battery are pointless because some degree of energy storage can always be useful, like avoiding the peak tariff

They are a pretty big expense however, so I can understand why people are hesitant. Another option is what we did and get the system battery ready and then install the battery further down the line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Flogas smart plan was already way worse than the others and now they've made it even worse?!

It was:

Day - 08:00 to 23:00 (Fixed) (excluding Peak) Cent per kWh 33.74

Peak - 17:00 to 19:00 (Fixed) Cent per kWh 38.15

Night - 23:00 to 08:00 (Fixed) Cent per kWh 23.11

Now:

Day - 08:00 to 23:00 (Fixed) (excluding Peak) Cent per kWh 38.33

Peak - 17:00 to 19:00 (Fixed) 45.34

Night - 23:00 to 08:00 (Fixed) 29.88

Advertisement