Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

7am is too late. Changing that to midnight to 6am would probably be doable but 6-7am is a very busy time, trying to curtail there on 6 weeks notice will piss people off

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

The 65 flights/night was the PP in place when they decided to start building the runway. After it was built they appealed aspects to fingal coco re no of flights and flying times via a 'relevant action '- this itself is being appealed to an bord planala. While the appeal is being worked through the original PP stands.

The CEO of daa is being very disingenuous when comparing it to croke park. The GAA had its 100k PP in place before they started to build; rather than getting PP for a 50k stadium, building the 100k Croker and then going for a change in the PP saying 'well we have it built now'!

Additionally with the way the are taking off from the north runway we feel it's like if croke park decided to start holding their concerts in the botanic in glasnevin without notice or seeking planning permission for that change.

Yes the daa is operating an operation of national importance. However doing so renders homes genuinely unliveable and has real world consequences on occupants quality of life. Like anyone in ireland, you get your PP before you build. If you dont like it then appeal. If you still dont like it then consider if you should build or not.

the noise quota system is a copout for daa as it is essentiually uninforceable. Anca have proven completely hopeless when responding to noise complaints from residents. when the north runwya opened they said it was nothign to do with them and they would review noise data after 2 years of operations. Any complaints that people have are sent into the daa and nothing ever happens and there is no punishment. recently the daa wrote an email to anyone who had submitted a complaint in essence saying they had recieved too many complaints and were going to ignore all complaints since the north runway opened.

''We are responding to your feedback regarding aircraft noise. Following the opening of North Runway in August 2022, we have experienced an increase in the number of aviation noise complaints and this has delayed our ability to correlate your exact issue with specific aviation movements and our noise abatement procedures.

Following the opening of North Runway, a review of flightpaths was conducted, in consultation with AirNav Ireland, which led to the adoption of new Instrument Flight Procedures (IFPs) and Standard Instrument Departures (SIDs) procedures off Runway 28R (North Runway) since February 23, 2023.

As a result, for those complaints related to the period August 24, 2022 to February 22,2023, we are unable to respond specifically and individually. These complaints were reviewed and considered during our consultation with AirNav Ireland around the changes to the revised SIDs to improve our noise abatement procedures.

Environmental Noise Corridors are now in place for North Runway (Runway 28R and 10L) that allow flight track keeping for all relevant movements.

We are actively reviewing and improving our noise abatement procedures and are currently installing more Noise Monitoring terminals in Dublin Airport and surrounding areas to continue to monitor the effects of aircraft noise on our communities.''

If daa want the ability to do what they want then they need to get rid of residents within their flight paths and sterilise the area. No residents = no complaints. But as long as they fly over uninsulated homes people will be unhappy. People will be even more unhappy when you say you will do one thing (as in your PP) and at the first opportunity you do something different.

Yes, i am a local resident affected by the westerly flights coming from the north runway. my family just want them to stick to their PP like anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sailing

Absolutely ridiculous decision. 65 flights between 11pm and 7am. Are we a third world country or what? Some serious headbangers in Fingal CC.

The north runway isn’t even open for 90% of the time mentioned, and even when it is it’s not used for landings when using it a westerly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bartkingcole

Build a new airport in Kildare. Able to utilise existing train infrastructure into Dublin City (express trains) and better connections to the rest of the country. Wonder will the good people of North Dublin who depend on the airport for livelihoods be thrilled with that.

Airport land and reservations would make a serious contribution to addressing lack of housing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Just one point on that. What we are discussing here are flight operations between 11pm and 7am. These operations do not affect anyone on the north runway flight path any differently then they did back in 2019 and before. I have seen numerous posts from residents on the north runway flight path complaining about night time flights/ how they now can’t sleep etc, when in fact the noise they are referring to at nighttime, is planes off of the south runway, which has operated the same since before the new runway….

Also, I’m a resident under 28L approach 10R take off with no issue. Runway was there before me. You do get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's pretty obvious what people live, or don't live, by the airport.

The DAA are completely disingenuous with their whinging and excuses around the PP conditions being actually enforced. It's not like the airport was running as it has been the last few months when people decided to move by it and then complain.

And I'm pretty sure the north runway was operating with a few flights around 4am this morning. At that time, when the ambient environmental noise is pretty much none existent, airport noise is an issue.

Airports the world over can be managed successfully under similar conditions. If the DAA can't do so, maybe they need to take a look at themselves and get people in who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The north runway wasn’t in use at all this morning due to the weather (I presume that’s why?!? I’m abroad now but heard it’s wet and windy at home) so the noise your hearing is the same noise that would have been heard before the new runway was built. According to airport community, parallel ops didn’t start until 1334 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Looking back at FR24, there were arrivals, but they were all from the west on the south runway, which is allowed. Strong Atlantic tailwinds meant some flights arriving early.

The north runway was not operational from what I can see.

Maybe, not 100% certain but I heard aircraft on the opposite side of our building to where we regularly hear them (it's usually at our south entrance where we can see them come in or go out, this morning it was over by the north side of the premises towards Meath so assumed they were using the north runway)

Outside of Ryanair I'd assume there's other movements such as cargo etc. But why would their paths be pushed further north to what they'd usually be coming in, the absolutely **** weather at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

Thanks for reply.

Incorrect actually. They have permission to use the north runway at night for what was meant to be 'exceptional' circumstances. However the daa have been using the north runway for scheduled maintenance. That typically involves 3-5 nights in a row at approx 6-8 week intervals. At the last CLG (community liason group) meeting approx 2-3 weeks ago they were asked what was the nature of these works; it was to mow the grass around the south runway. with the greatest of respect, i would not classify that as exceptional circumstances. They have mowed the grass for the last 4 decades on the south runway without closing it, i am unsure why they have started now. they may only fly (departing west) over us a handful of times each night they use the north runway but they are 1200-14000ft above my uninsulated home and wake up everyone in the house at those periods. I would invite you to set your alarm at 01.30, 02.30, 0430, 0600, 0700 etc. for a similar experience. I would also invite you to set an alarm at 07.00 for the rest of your life. Locals who are insulated do not hear these planes. We certainly do.

Ultimately this is about adherance to planning. when we got PP in 2018 for a replacement dwelling we had to satisfy conditions - including an archeological dig - to be allowed build. We assessed those condition, and made a decision to build on that basis. we didnt build a 3 story house without PP and ask for PP after the fact. part of planning was to limit flights, adhere to the environmental (ie noise) plan for the area as a result of development and insulate affected homes prior to commencement of operations. Daa at that point assessed these conditions and then preceeded to build the runway. they have ignored the first part (as per fingal coco), by diverging flight paths they have ignored the second part, and also by ignoring flight paths they are flying over homes that were never to be under flight paths thus ignoring the last part.

It is not good enough for a professional organisation to ignore planning and to say 'you'll get used to it'.

interestingly anca have issued a report today: https://www.fingal.ie/news/anca-has-published-report-effectiveness-aircraft-noise-mitigation-dublin-airport-2022

i quote:

''his review indicates that although the longer-term NAO required outcomes are lower than the 2019 baseline levels, one of the four NAO expected outcomes has not been achieved for the 2022 assessment year''...''ANCA will take action, whether under Regulation (EU) 598/2014 or the Act of 2019, or both, to that will be effective towards achieving the noise abatement objective.''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

They used use 16/34 when the south runway was closed for grass cutting. That is now not allowed as part of the planning conditions for the north runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Grass cutting is an exceptional circumstance, you can’t have heavy machinery on the side of the runway when aircraft are departing and landing. Prior to the new runway they used 16/34, which isn’t allowed anymore.

As others mentioned, 16/34 was used prior to the north runway opening, which can be no longer used unless in strong wind conditions. The approach and departures for 16/34 are also over my house. So if either 16/34 or 28l/10r are used I get planes going by and I manage just fine. Departures are usually under 2000 feet and landings are approx 800 ft for both runways

My house is no more insulated than standard insulation and was certainly not insulated by the daa.

Regarding setting alarms to see what it’s like, why would I do that? I’ve just mentioned I live under the flight path and have done for years. The main active runways at night time. I sleep through the planes just fine and when they aren’t flying in this direction, I notice the quietness more and find it harder to sleep.

I would strongly advise to get used to it, or if it’s a big problem for you, move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I live close to the airport too and when 10R is in use, we get lots of noise, like this morning. No complaints from me, I knew Dublin airport was there when I moved in. To be honest I hardly notice it. I did when I moved in, and woke up when every flight took off. Now I sleep right through. You will get used to it.

Fly around the world and you will see where some people live beside runways. You live in a rural area of north county Dublin which has always been beside Dublin Airport. Not expecting noise is not a realistic proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sailing

You say you have an uninsulated house. So I’m essence that house was built many many years ago, when the airport was operational. Remember, the airport had a third runway many years ago. Runway 23 and it fact it also had runway 11/29.

Any right educated minded person would know that the airport would be developed along these runway directions. So, forgive me for having limited sympathy.

You also say you have pp for a new dwelling. Did you build this? If you did how on earth is not insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

DUB has had international flights since 1948. It had over 1million passengers a year using it by the early 1960s, and has grown consistently every decade since.

We're an island nation on the edge of Europe, with a significant economic reliance on tourism, and substantial FDI links to foreign countries. All of which means it doesn't take a genius to know passenger numbers (and flights) are only going to increase over the years as Ireland's population increases.

Anyone who moved into a house near the airport at any point in the last 60+ years (ie almost everyone alive) has absolutely no grounds to complain about airport noise now. They bought land or housing with a discount for this priced in, and then subsequently decided it was an issue.

What a daft post, I can't sleep without the sound and if you can't either sell up is the gist of it.

It's amazing the number of people in support of blatant breaches of planning permission and supportive of the DAA's whining about being pulled up on it. It's almost as if they believed they're more important than minor legalities.

Apparently planning regulations are for only when it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I'm just curious as to what part of the planning permission do you think is not being adhered to? Is it the right turn they do after takeoff? If so aircraft deviate 30 degrees as this is a minimum requirement under European safety standards when operating dual runways. Its probably true that this was not the case when pp was obtained around 2007 I believe. However this cannot be changed and safety must be maintained. If more homes need to be insulated then this should be funded by the DAA or other state funds.

Not at all. The gist of it was over time you get used to your surrounds and no longer take note of the sounds that you become accustomed too unless of course you don’t want to adjust and would rather keep complaining, looking for a pay out.

• Advertisement

Anyway, keeping more in line with the thread. Would anybody be of the opinion that this enforcement letter is all for show. To make the residents believe that Fingal are on their side. After daas statement regarding the delays getting the noise quotas in order due to lack of resources which has been awaiting decision since 2020 of which FCC agree with, it looks like FCC haven’t got much ground to stand on with this either and they will turn around and approve the noise quota system as a compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its not amazing at all when you consider the economic and social impact of the airport on the country. 99.99%+ of people in this country benefit from DUB operating as many flights as possible, as efficiently as possible.

More growth at DUB means more FDI, more inbound tourism, more travel opportunities for Irish people and for the many people here with foreign family, more jobs in the local area, and more tax paid to the state.

The runway restrictions are a classic case of a tiny number of NIMBYs holding back progress that will benefit the rest of the country massively. Is it really so surprising to you that the vast majority of people in Ireland don't support them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

This needs to be nipped in the bud and sorted, imagine when Metro is built and finished but we can't use it to and from the airport between the hours of say midnight and 6am due to some stupid operational restriction imposed by planners. This is the reality of what happens if we let these situations become the norm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

For infrastructure projects of national importance, the government needs to take planning authority away from the local councils and give it to a new national authority. Airports, ports, metro lines, offshore wind farms, etc.

These sorts of projects are far too important to trust to the idiots who run many local authority planning departments.

We already have this with rail projects. They bypass local planning authorities and go straight to ABP for railway orders. Another example is the government having set up Maritime Area Regulatory Authority (Mara) in the past few weeks with responsibility for “planning” / licensing of offshore projects like wind farms, interconnectors, etc.

I’ve no idea why a local authority thinks it has the expertise to regulate the running of a major international airport. Frankly it is way outside their remit!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

“The runway restrictions are a classic case of a tiny number of NIMBYs holding back progress that will benefit the rest of the country massively. Is it really so surprising to you that the vast majority of people in Ireland don't support them?”

This is sadly the case everyone these days. We all end up living in a world that is shaped by those who scream and shout the loudest but have the fewest voices.

Yes sadly for those that live now in areas affected by noise they have to realise very little will change to their satisfaction. The airport isn’t going to close, there’s always going to be night flights, there’s always going to be early turns off the new runway. Your choices are stark and simple, fight and live with the stress over decades, get insulated and embrace the new world you live in or accept the only way out is to move house but no matter what you’ll always hear an airplane no matter where you live then you neighbours will be too loud, you can hear cars and trucks and buses and trains, the cows mooing is too loud, the kids playing out on the green are too loud etc. noise is everywhere and you can’t control any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Like it or not, Dublin Airport is a vital piece of national infrastructure that is more important than any small number of individuals who can solve their issues if they want to – additional insulation, moving house, etc.

As others have pointed out, the current situation between 11pm-7am is exactly the same as it has been for years and years.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Aren’t we in the midst of a climate emergency??

Should we all not be trying to cut back on air travel to stop the planet burning like agriculture, cars etc instead of encouraging more??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

You can blame daa for breaching planning. When this country is a farce, the planning system and the councils are the problem, this is the catch 22 farce. Build it , breach it and bring it a point it cannot he ignored by higher powers. The country is a total farce...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bartkingcole

Is there enough capacity in Dublin airport for the long term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

I really don't see this FCC order being enforced in my opinion I too live under the flight paths into Dublin and have well adjusted to the many early morning arrivals from the USA a long time ago. I can maybe understand a 12pm to 5am reduction in flight numbers but to be honest does the Luas, Dart + Dublin bus services need to follow suit?

I use the airport a fair bit during the year its no advantage to me noise wise trying to curtail night time flights I would rather see the DAA being obliged on the sound proofing etc. on the houses directly affected within the affected zone.

Call a spade a spade the new runway does not operate after 11pm or before 7am so the planning permission requirement is not valid if the new runway had not opened this issue would not even make the press.

Did the DAA not appeal this to ABP and if so as I think they have why the delay?

Advertisement