Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I'm sorry. if this was asked before, I see it's a frequently visited topic. I'm trying to weigh up my options, contract ending with Flogas later this month. The well-known comparison website gives me no option to sign up to. Are there no deals to be had anymore?

I'm a low volume user, electricity is about 2000 kW, gas is 8000 kW for a year. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

You need to click No to: "Only show tariffs available for sign up?", this means only show tariffs that you can sign up to via Bonkers (or whichever site) itself where they get a commission. Clicking No shows all deals.

The best deal on the market are the moment is FloGas Community Plan (Elec, Gas, or Gas an Elec). This wont be available on comparison sites. An alternative to look at is WaterPower (Elec only). Its a variable tracker rate tied to the wholesale price of electricity. Theres plenty in this thread on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Just remember to run down supplies in the fridge/freezer first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Just got my Flogas welcome pack, I signed up for the duel fuel community plan and it say my offer that i am on is Fixed Gas 12 A23 NB? does that sound about right to eveyone on this plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Are FloGas very hard to get through to? Calling them on 041 214 9500 but on hold ages here, anyone have a better contact number?

Sounds like they have competitive rates as contract up end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's not that "if you dont change" its "if you dont opt out"

Some meters won't be on the plan for a few months or more. So you continue to get deemed fit payments until everyone who has not opted out has received a smart meter, then they remove the deemed fit for mcc02. This is what they did for mcc01.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Yes the downside of flogas is the long wait times to talk to someone , I was waiting at least 20mins. But if your signing up to the community deal dont call them you need to do it online

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I rang Flogas several weeks ago and got speaking to an agent within a couple of minutes. That was just after 9am if that's any help to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭you2008

Switched from Flogas ( contract end today) to the Flogas duel fuel community plan, let see will works :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Need to do that in a few weeks when existing Flogas contract is up, did you do it all online? Hoping it can be done without talking to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

can't delete?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Head is still a bit spinning from trying to understand all this. Bord Gais just offered me 23% discount (Day - 39.22 Peak - 47.92 Night - 28.22) with a free weekend day of electricity off my dual fuel so trying to weigh everything up.

I have an activated Smart meter.

My question is - am I correct in stating that I can't access the Flogas Community 29.99 offer or the BWG offer? Only option from Flogas open to me is Fixed Smart Electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Are the rates you're quoting before the 23% discount?

Yes your only options with any supplier are the smart ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Got through to FloGas after today and I mentioned about Community Plan offer and he said that was only for DCC employees and seemed sticky on it, is this the offer that people on here are talking about? Reading back through a lot of pages and know BWG was another offer as well.

Also rang around all other providers today and all a bit meh really but Bord Gais who I am currently with told me that they got an email today internally saying better offers are coming shortly, she couldn't confirm how soon but might be something to watch out for. They offered me 9% discount on dual fuel whereas I got 39% last year and to sign up as a new customer is 10%. That is something I don't mind as to me existing customers should be offered better discounts than new customers at least they are broadly in line whereas before they were nowhere close at all. We have been swapping over accounts with Bord Gais for last 3 years between myself and wife to make out like are new customers every time, painful at the time rather just renew with less hassle..

Contract up end of the month but just wanted to see what was out there today. Bord Gais tbf has an excellent Rewards section and I have won loads of comps through it this year most recently AI hurling final tickets. It would nearly swing me to stay if could give me a better discount rate been honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

my smart rate with energy is .46 day .48 peak .24 night standing charge .59 before vat with a 15% discount to come off at the end

bord gas doesn't sound too bad if you get 23% off those rates and flo gas is mad money for smart tariff at the moment too

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Thanks for the reply, really annoyed about the Smart meter thing now. What I quoted above is after the discount applied.

Our electricity usage for the last 12 months is 2046.64

Looks like these are my two options so, kind of leaning towards staying with BG now cos of the standing charges difference... or is that wrong?

Can people PLEASE stop calling Flogas about the community plan.

Sign up online and don't give them any ideas about pulling the plan because (insert whatever company name here) staff are only eligible.

see the energy rate i posted and the standing charge works out at €215 if it is 59c per day and include it for your calculations just to see if its better, i got the 15% discount and he said that's standard now for direct debit etc

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I signed up on line via this link on monday morning, said Id chance my arm, anyway, Ive heard nothing yet from flogas, but did get an email this morning from my current provider saying they were sorry to see me go. I rang Flogas and they confirmed that my online application had been processed and accepted and it was the BWG plan, however when I asked them to confirm the rates, they weren't able to, so I am now awaiting a call back. I very much doubt they'll honor those rates fro me, but we'll see I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭con747

I gave up posting not to ring them up, people just want an instant answer here and won't read back a few pages.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Do come back when you get rates confirmed. I'm gonna call EI Friday to see what they'll do for me as I'll be out of contract next Monday. If the Flogas offer there works I'll give it a go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some people have looked back and found older links either no longer exist or the info they've been given is incorrect. Can't blame some of them for calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭tandcapply

Really annoyed, signed up to Flogas Artzya dual. 29.99 inc fixed electricity unit and 9.x for gas about 6 weeks ago.

Got a generic welcome email shortly after, no mention of rates or plan but since took screenshots I assumed I'm ok.

Got first bills this week and they have me on peak, day and off peal rates, much higher than 29.99 inc (night rate is not much use to me)

Will contact them but did same happen to anyone else?

My meter is on mcc12 and was with the previous supplier on 24h rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

If you were on MCC12 before signing up you wouldn’t have been eligible for the 24 hr rate. They should have let you know.

I remember someone posted previously about Flogas accidentally signing them up for a smart plan instead of a 24 hour plan thus activating their meter. I hope that’s not the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Does anyone know, can you change providers while still having an out standing bill thats owed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭con747

The most up to date information will be on the most recent pages. Not going to get into an argument about it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

More like **some** are wanting to get the deal and if the offer gets pulled after they are successful then so be it.

• Advertisement

• Not sure, I do my yearly checking/change of provider through Brendan Halpin at WeSwitchU. They take their cut of prospected savings. Not sure what happens if there’s an outstanding bill with existing provider, but you could check that site out.

Advertisement