Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If I start going on about throw in times and good three points won during the league. Feel free to report me to the mods!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Well, a couple of days on from the win, watched the game back twice since then. Dublin the better team, to come from three points down twice shows real character. On David Gough, he did a fine job, he got a few decisions wrong but that was for both teams. Still the best ref we have in the country. Some of the bull written here by a few choice posters make the victory all the sweeter. Kerry supporters that both understand and appreciate football have been very gracious in defeat, the clowns from other counties living their lives out through anyone but Dublin really need to grow up and get a life. Anyway, Kerry will be back, good young team. Hopefully we can challenge again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,436 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The everyone hates us response. How terrifically boring that is now.

If you cannot stomach a discussion with differing opinions maybe forums are not for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Go through the thread and witness some of the bull that was spouted throughout the game. Mine is an opinion like yourself. If you dont like my opinion block me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The gap wasn't as wide as inches, it was nanometre, down to mentality. Dublin outscored Kerry 7-2 from the 50th minute onwards, a huge difference, the winning of the game. The game may have been level after 70 minutes but the body language told anyone watching that there was only one winner.

• Advertisement

Dublin football managers have never been paid, unlike other counties.

You would well remember the flaky teams Dublin had - jayus you only have to go through the 90's and 00's. Painful stuff a lot of it. The real worrying thing is that 'mentality' (nevermind the high level of play) will soon evaporate.

Those great Kerry team that won the four Sam's - and got the three after out of annoyance - it did feck all after 1986 even losing to Clare in 92 was it?

They lost the fellas with the auras that mentality the greats - that is very hard to

1) Maintain

2) Replace

None of the other posters have yet to tell me this great Dublin second, third or even fourth team that Dublin have. Because jayus when these Dublin leaders leave- there will be some vacuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Actually my original point was that David Clifford gets more praise because there are a lack of really top quality inside forwards out there to compare him against, and I stand by that point.

Gooch was regularly called the greatest ever but that opinion would be tempered by being able to point to a McDonnell or Canavan and justifiably say that an argument could be made for them as well.

That doesn't happen today because that level of quality isn't out there, so Clifford stands alone ahead of the pack and some 12 year old thinks that makes him the greatest of all time.

I will leave it there, because you keep coming back with this narrative that packed defences didn't exist 20 years ago, that teams weren't super fit and didn't have tactics. It just isn't the reality at all. Perhaps in the nineties you still had the man for man battles but from Armagh in 2002 on it was the era of sports science taking effect. The era of swarm defences, players flooding up and down the field both defending and attacking en masse. Brian Dooher working back like a dog and Philly Jordan bombing forward past him, has all that been forgotten already? Trying to claim that the likes of McDonnell didn't have to deal with massed defences and the famous puke football is just fundamentally not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Seadin

I wonder would the same be said by some Kerry fans, if Kerry were beating Dublin each time? Just wondering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't understand this question. Be more specific. Would what be said by Kerry fans?

• Advertisement

It is 100% mentality, that is what Dublin missed over the last two years.

Maybe the younger players will have learned from this year.

What has Leinster got to with it? I hope it hastens the death of the antiquated provincial system. From provinces created by the British which I would have assumed you would be all for breaking up

FFS, go away. Not interested in the rest of what you have to say after that.

What you guys pull out here is hilarious, and embarassing tbh.

Enjoy your win.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The most interesting piece is the manager, I suspect he will go now while the going is good.

I hope he does, he got a lot of flak and I can't imagine his job will get any easier going forward. He can walk now with two titles and his head held high, let a new man make a completely fresh start.

Then his leaving would be the catalyst for a few of the players to make the same decision I would imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

A page of posts deleted.

Over resourcing of 1 team....... Dublin A and Dublin B .... ALL that talk is off topic in this thread - kindly keep it in the other one please.

I have no idea who could be Dublin manager next if they want to stick inside the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Seadin

Croke Park factor. A few on the Kerry thread are saying now that the Croke Park advantage suits Dublin. Outside of Killarney, Croke Park was always considered Kerry's home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭thesultan

I always thought about the break up of the Dublin great 10s team. Bernard brogan their star forward, Connelly with his skillset. Still made no difference they weren't the invincibles but were still very good.

Cian Archer the most promising u20 footballer not even on the panel, not sure on his story but the same could be said for Hyland of Kildare who hasn't really pushed on..

Mannion seemed to.lose nothing as his Crokes displays showed and Cluxton is utterly dependent in all his actions.

The football championship was dire this year ,about two good matches but as a spectacle the GAA have to do something to alter it..

Give me the Dublin 14 team to watch any day, but Jimmy put a stop to that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭shockframe

Not a classic final it is fair to say but an enjoyable watch and the closeness/drama made for a gripping contest overall.

Felt Kerry were just that bit slower and indecisive in the 1st half.

They will return you can safely say but given that they had a run of 5 All Ireland minor titles in a row it must be disappointing for them to have only 1 Senior All Ireland to show for it.

Especially when the 2019 Final seemed to suggest that Kerry may be about to turn the tide oon the Dubs.

Hearing most are laying into the championship but apart from the Round 2 of the groups and The quarter final letdown the championship was nowhere near as bad as what is being made out.

Hopefully next year can open up again further.

Also to add how refreshing it was to have Darragh Maloney in commentary as opposed to Marty fawning all over the players. Maloney really adds to the occasion without going overboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Kilkenny : 8 All Irelands

Con : 6

Costello : 8

22 AI’s between 3 fellas so far

9 All stars, between 2 of them…. So far…..

scoreless from play but victorious, again, 😋 we’ll take that anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Gael85

Archer never pushed on from u20. Since change from u21 to u20 we have found harder to bring through young lads especially forwards. Archer is a good freetaker but don't think contributes enough from play to warrant a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

See the Kerry Chairman is taking the defeat bad. Pity thought they took their beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I thought the interview with Jack O'Connor after the game was pretty mealy-mouthed, didn't offer any sort of proper congratulations to the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Complaining about umpires and Clifford Mick Fitz incident, umpire did his job they were both at each other. Correct call.

He said there was no consistency with umpires. That lots of off the ball stuff goes on and they say nothing. Then they overruled Gough on Clifford/Fitzsimons entanglement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Sour enough , still yearning for a 2 in a row.

• Advertisement

Correct call in your view, but he was quite entitled to call for consistency as he quite rightly says, it goes on all the time, all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

In fairness I'd give any player or manager who loses an all Ireland final a bit of slack with their immediate post match interview. Jack looked a bit shell-shocked to me in his interview which is understandable. Its one to just trot out a few clichés and get out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

But the county board chairman is a bit of a clown. He's down on the pitch for warm ups and sits with the players in the stand. I don't understand that. Get yourself a comfy premium seat and leave the team to their task without you down there staring at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Poor form from the kerry players getting off the bus. Practically ignored all of the young supporters. Trying to post the clip.

Incredible sour grapes from the chairman. Fair enough point made about O'Connor in the immediate aftermath, but no acknowledgement at any point since from the Kerry hierarchy that they were fairly beaten and no congratulations offered. Tomas O'Se still whining about Clifford not being POTY, I mean Colm Basquel scored more from play than him in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah and Basquel doesn't have everyone constantly trying to set him up.

• Advertisement

The longer they wallow in the unfairness of it all without facing up to the real failures of their team, and it wasn't just last Sunday, Mayo did a number on them as well, then the better for everyone else.

For some context, here's Farrell being interviewed after defeat to Mayo.

No congratulations and no acceptance of being fairly beaten. Everything was 'lost' by Dublin, not 'won' by a better Mayo.

‘We were rattled in the second half’ – Dessie Farrell laments Dublin’s lack of consistency | Independent.ie

Why should you expect any different?

Jack O'Connor is not a good loser, always quicker to look at why his own team lost, rather than how the opposition won.

I am surprised he did not mention the same line he used back in 2015 (when commenting about the senior game) - saying that the 'rain suited the Dubs'

--

Dublin gets way less rain than Kerry.......

In fact Kerry are the wettest county in Ireland

Something does not add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Pat Gilroy whom I can imagine had a big influence on Dessie Farrell's management this year and probably played a big part in get players such as Cluxton return.

He means the traditional style of play Kerry play is more suited to a dry day. Catch and kick.

Teams that run the ball like Dublin more suited to a wet day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I don't think there is many managers out there who would drop any ego they may have and pick up the phone to Pat Gilroy and ask for his expertise to help out. Dessie wanted whats best for Dublin first and foremost, not for himself. With Gilroy, McCaffrey, Mannion, Cluxton all back on board Dublin were always going to there or thereabouts this year.

Gilroy is an extremely busy man though, he could only commit a year to the hurlers when he managed them as well.

I have had more of a think about it since. I was thinking maybe a clutch of the 2011 lads as selectors at least - some real leaders there. Cullen and Philly with their fitness and nutrition backgrounds for example.

Outside that generation - Jayo has done a bit of underage management with the younger Dubs. At the very least he could be a good figurehead. Good at the media stuff as well. Has worked with Dublin panels for a number of years at senior level as - mentor, or whatever they call them now.

Nope - definite credit where it is due there for Dessie - proper delegation. Dublin had the most famous water boy in the country.

In fairness, you were one of the few Dublin supporters who called Dublin to be there or thereabouts though, even before the arrival of Cluxton and Gilroy!

I honestly thought (worst case scenario) the way things were going that Leinster could be lost or worse after those div2 performances v what other counties were at - Galway - Kerry etc. But luckily Kildare have a sh!te management team, and cannot make use the obvious talent at their disposal.

At best the furthest I thought Dublin would get is the QF - Mayo - which I fully expected Mayo to win. A far cry from 2013, when I lashed the money on Dublin for Sam, at the start of the season each way.

After 2019 I thought all the signs were there that this Dublin team was going one way - on the downward curve fast, for a variety of reasons. Which in my book makes the Dublin turnaround even more impressive. However, it felt a bit like looking back to the past, rather than looking to the future. But it worked.

--

Kerry tried that years ago with Bomber Liston and it completely flopped.

Yet when it came to the crunch for Dublin 'Mannion, McCaffery, Cluxton' made all the difference as seen in the Final the last day. That is a three out of three strike rate for the old guard on the big pressure day.

Not only my view but the umpire and when informed the refs view when he was told what happened. I was sitting right behind it in the Davin. There's hardy been any consistency in games especially when it comes to the tackle, thats just the way it is. Usually swings and roundabouts it normally balances out in the end. But the Kerry chairman moaning about it 2 days after they lost an All Ireland just comes across as sour grapes..

I have great respect for Dessie he did the business for us in the end dispite all the abuse from so called Dublin Supporters. He has nothing more to prove to Dublin GAA From player to manager. I would have no issue with him if he does go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

That incident where Gough changed his mind was unusual. Looking at replays of it it looked like Clifford started the fouling it definately was no free to Kerry imo both players were at it but rarely does a referee change his mind. Mick Fitz gesticulating wildly and running over to plead his case to the umpire may have helped sway Gough's decision. Either way it saw a two point swing as instead of an almost certain Kerry point Dublin won the breaking ball and went on to score a point if i remember correctly. I was very relieved when it happened it was a crucial moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The throw in was a poor result for kerry who had possession at the time. No free was the right call, but Goughs error cost Kerry possession and crucially resulted in a Dublin point.

I was right behind it Clifford did start it both just going for the ball,but they were both at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kerry always have been poor losers IMO. They lacked a bit of steel coming down the stretch Sunday, Dublin were that little better, I actually thought dublin should have closed it out better, making alot of bad errors. I'll say it again Brian Fenton is footballer of the year, he was sensational from QF onwards in terms of dictating games. Clifford for me no, he was off radar Sunday and had a quiet QF.

This is also fairly typical.

Whenever anyone on the losing side raises an issue ( and inconsistencies are a huge issue) in an interview after the game and ABOUT the game it is sour grapes.

The arrogance of the winner I suppose. If they aren’t on their knees in supplication and properly congratulating us as blanch cried about then they are sore losers.

Funny tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement