Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭RINO87

Incredible two hours again there this evening. Ray is having a fantastic week. The best it's been in a long long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Pains me to say it, but Ray is better than John. Creedo seems to stick to the same old songs every night - when he pairs up two songs from a specific time and place, it'll always be the same ones. And when he goes for The Jam, who have a huge back catalogue, guaranteed it'll be either 'A Town Called Malice' or 'That's Entertainment'.

At least Ray plays more of a variation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But after a while, our Ray here might settle into his patterns. And Creedo does have other ways of connecting to the audience other the choice of music. Creedon has his bóthrín na smaointe and Cuddihy has sos beags. I think I prefer the former. That said I agree re Creedo, he can be a bit repetitive.

Yep agree with both of you here...as I said a few posts ago John has become extremely predictable, I've noticed this more so the last couple of months ...to the ones I and you mentioned you can add the same old same old from Desmond Dekker, the Inkspots, Stornoway etc... all good groups with a huge catalogue to choose from but we get same old, same old. Oh and that bloody Padraig Jack song about the Aran Islands...

And again as you said, we continue to tune in, as John has a great way about him and is massively enjoyable to listen to as a host. I've often mentioned here and in other threads, that I way prefer the music on the Mystery Train, but JK is just not as engaging. I actually prefer that show when Peter Curtin is hosting , his selections are on another level :)

Ray tho, is also coming across as a true pro, is connecting with his audience and has some great tunes to boot. Ray has been championing Irish music for years, and to me, he seems genuinely full of gratitude to be in the lucky position he has, is grasping the opportunity and taking it seriously, but with (what sounds like anyway) a smile.

Plus you just know that John is itching to play John Prine as soon as he gets back. 😁

Yeah but Ray Cuddihy has this occasional public holiday slot where he tries to equate Irish Trad with hip hop and the like. Maybe he's trying to be hip and cool but personally I think it's just silly stuff. I play a bit of trad myself and I can't honestly see or want to see any connection between our trad music and what goes down in dance & night clubs.

But I'd say he's here for the long haul, anyone who's a bit of a gaelgeoir will get on well in RTE and he's a man to boot, by way of balancing out the shift to women presenters.

I think you might well be right and as noted above as regards things overall, as good as Creedo in different ways.

Wait a minute, who’s this amateur hospital radio DJ?

#CuddihyForeverCreedonNever

He did and all 🤣

• Advertisement

Surely John hasn’t become that predictable and is about to tell us for the 1,000th. time how the band America got their name.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think I've heard a non Christmas song by Chris Rea.

One of the sunniest and hottest days of the year, and John is playing ‘You Want It Darker’ by Leonard Cohen.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love the ending of that Paddy Casey song.

I was expecting Brendan O’Connor to jump in there and start talking.

:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That Lorraine Nash song was very good.

I could take or leave the War On Drugs whenever I heard them on the radio, but I have to say I was highly impressed by their set at Glastonbury.

Consider me a convert. :)

One can never tire of ‘Celebrate’ by An Emotional Fish.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yes, ironically that party won't ever be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

He was asked to play and Elton John song a few weeks back after he'd headlined at Glastonbury. He hadn't played an Elton song in 10 years! He played the exact same one he played 10 years ago 'Song for Guy'. Good song of course but it's pathetic how predictable Creedon is.

An extra half-hour of Creedo!

More room for John Prine. :D

F-bomb in this Ian Dury song, disgraceful carry on.

Prefer this version

Awful news about Sinead O'Connor, probably will be a lot of her songs tonight.

• Advertisement

Lovely start to the show by Creedo.....bloody hell Sinead. I hope she finds peace.

Mandinka is a brilliant song.

Brilliant version of The Foggy Dew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

This is a great show I think, as a new radio listener. I've always loved John Creedon on TV, and he's also great on radio.

Redemption Song on now. Rainy Night In Soho on already. Two of my favourites within half an hour.

Just noticed this is now the norm, Drivetime finishing half an hour earlier :)

• Advertisement

Loved that Gil Scott Heron song

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

Half hour less of drivetime is no bad thing. That programme is absolute misery

One can never tire of ‘Mary’ by The Four Of Us.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭HBC08

The Days Before Rock And Roll,great tune.

I'd obviously heard it before but wasn't that familiar with it.Got home and googled it then,never knew Paul Durcan was on it and actually co wrote it,cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is this an IKEA ad song medley to start the show?!

Also second time today to hear You'll Always Find Me in the Kitchen at Parties on Radio 1. Brendan Courtney played it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Those were played when he was on holidays. The EJ song he played last was 'Song for Guy' because someone requested an EJ after all the talk a month or so back after he played at Glastonbury. He wouldn't have played it if someone didn't request something by EJ. When Elton played in Cork last summer there was a lot of hype about it, but it wasn't enough to get Creedon to play one of his songs. The last time he played an EJ before that was in 2013 (ten years ago), and guess what song it was..... the exact same one!

There mis only one exception to that, and that was one night when I emailed him and said "I know you don't like Elton John, but would you be willing to play a Roxy Music song?". Didn't get to listen that night, but when I checked the listings the next day, 'Rocket Man' appeared... but that as only in reaction to my email.

Creedon is very very very predictable. I only ever hear a few seconds of the show before I change the station, and it seems he still keeps playing 'In the Days Before Rock n Roll', and also the cover of 'Young Americans' by Duran Jones. Not saying they're bad songs but for the love of God play a few new songs. I find more that I get more novelty and surprise out of my very own 'likes' music playlist on youtube.

Why would you think he was on holidays for each of those? You seem hugely invested in a show that you keep complaining about. If it's not your show, have you considered taking the revolutionary step of not listening to it?

• Advertisement

I don’t think he was on holidays, I know he was on holidays.

How do you think, I looked it up. Below are Elton John plays and presenters

July 31st 2023, Ciara King (standing in for John)

26 June 2023, John Creedon plays 'Song for Guy' as EJ was requested

Aug 22nd 2022, Fiachna Ó Braonáin

25 Mar 2022, Lilian Smith

14 July 2021, Lilian Smith

22 Sept 2020, Creedon plays 'Song for Guy' the only one he seems to like

June 26th 2020, Fiachna Ó Braonáin

May 30th 2019, Fiachna Ó Braonáin

May 28th 2019, Fiachna Ó Braonáin

May 7th 2018, Creedon plays 'Rocket Man' but only because I made a dig at him (as mentioned above)

17 May 2017, Fiachna Ó Braonáin

8 Feb 2016, John Creedon plays 'Looking Up' most likely from RTE recommends list, as it was a new song.

So they weren’t all guest presenters then.

Yet again, I’m left wondering why you invest so much effort in listening to and actively monitoring a show that you apparently dislike so much.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

‘Thinking Of You’ by The Colourfield!

Good call :)

’Acadian Driftwood’ by The Band!

Oh yeah :)

He likes Disturbed's version of Sound Of Silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Doesn't this list contradict what you yourself claimed?

The results google gave back to me the last time I checked it looked a lot worse for Creedon, although I now see he has played a few. But still, you must bear in mind that he's the guy who's in there 90% of the time.

• Advertisement

John says he’ll be playing The Lotus Eaters tonight.

I wonder which song. :D

Advertisement