Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I agree, it is silly allowing thousands of people we don't know to move here and do whatever they want.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I for one do not want more hateful nutjobs poisoned by completely hateful, backward and intolerant Islamist ideology such as Yousef Palani who butchered those two poor gay men in Sligo last year and tried to murder a third.

The vast majority of Irish people want controls and limits on immigration and a reduction on the number of refugees coming here. People are very unhappy at the completely unsustainable situation but the FG/FF government will not heed any concerns and just dismiss anyone who voices concerns as a "right wing" xenophobe - it is utterly disingenuous of Leo and Co. and it also shows how much contempt they hold us in.

I can only see more and more anti-immigration sentiment building here and it becoming a big issue in the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

maybe because older people know how sh1t works and doesnt , young people have no experience of the world, who is arguing about monoculture? a very odd choice of words.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Young people generally have no beef with immigration as they have grown up with non nationals in their classrooms and as neighbours and friends.

It's an older crowd (or a certain subsection of them) who are remembering the Ireland of the 60s, 70s and 80s and who tend to hold anti-immigration views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You have no idea of the attitudes of younger people towards immigration. This is yet another unsubstantiated statement, that you’ve pulled out of thin air based on your own leanings.

Do you have any children yourself? Do you coach any sports teams or mentor young people? If not, you are entirely out of touch with the views of younger people.

For those in their 20s, many are sufficiently clued in to join the dots between an acute housing crisis, crumbling public services and unsustainable, migration-driven population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So how many of these Georgians, Albanians or indeed from various African countries who had their claim rejected actually left the country?

Not many since Varadkar opened his big gob a few months ago saying its sometimes just too hard to deport people so its easier to just let them stay even though they have no right to be here.

The reality is most of them will just ignore the deportation order and wait for a future Justice Minister to announce another amnesty to reward overstayers.

If we get a government made up of SF, the Soc Dems and hard lefters next time around there won't be a single person deported because none of them want to touch the subject of illegal immigration to this country.

Are you suggesting that we ban Muslim people from coming here?

That's not very inclusive of you.........

of course everyone knows what the attitude of young people are! We all have young people in our families and our friend groups.

Young people ( gonna go with under 35 for this) have all grown up with foreign nationals, are friends with them and none that I know blame immigrants for the housing crisis.

Anecdotal evidence of course is not allowed, but you asked the question, and no one I know under 35 have any issues with immigration, most having immigrated and enjoyed their years elsewhere. Much like yourself?

• Advertisement

"Anecdotal evidence of course is not allowed"

Anecdotal evidence is fairy tales

Well, fair enough, posters shouldn't ask for it then........

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

This is just completely untrue. Young people living with their parents well into their 30’s and will never be able to afford a house, can see the writing on the wall when it comes to letting every Tom, Dick and Harry from the 4 corners of the world in and housing them on top of it.

Young people, like most people, have no problems with individuals of different races and creeds, the problem people have is with our lunatic government and their insane, open door immigration policy.

Why are the young people not out protesting at government buildings then?

It's all old middle aged men stirring localities up to protests. The young working people are not outside empty buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

In both France and Italy a large amount of the youth vote right, so I'm wondering how they explain that one away.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Ironically, you’ve answered your own question there. Given that you perceive 35 year olds as ‘young people’, I’m scarcely out of that demographic myself.

The reason why we/ they aren’t protesting, is because they are simply too busy trying to earn a living, to support their spouses, and young children, to grow their careers and have some semblance of a social life. You know, the kind of life milestones that most regular people experience.

Are you really that myopic that you can’t conceive of the fact that many ‘young people’ have significant reservations about the volume and type of inward migration, but simply don’t have the time or energy to protest?

Not sure where you’re going with the ‘old middle aged men’ comment. From the videos, admittedly limited, that I’ve seen of the protesters, many of those present were women and children. Whilst not wishing to draw attention to your vintage, many of the men there also looked significantly younger than 50-ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Are all those policemen/women in Sweden that you know still saying all is rosy?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Indeed. Marine Le Pen’s most ardent supporters are mostly under 30.

That can’t be right though. Our prolific fellow poster doesn’t know anybody under 35 who has reservations about immigration, so it couldn’t possibly be true.

Strangely, that same poster appears to be unable to differentiate immigration from emigration, despite their manifest obsession with this topic!

I'm not much older then that group myself actually. But I understand that that is the age group that have significant issues with housing etc.

They aren't protesting outside empty buildings because they don't see why they would! If they have issues with government mismanagement, they are not going to protest outside empty buildings being used to house refugees and asylum seekers.

If people feel strongly enough about an issue, then they go out

As stated, anecdotal evidence isn't really acceptable here, but you brought it up, none of the young people I know have any issue with immigration.

The police I know in Sweden are extremely pissed off with the rest of Europe, trying to put down their country.

• Advertisement

The housing crisis has little or nothing to do with immigration. We had a full blown housing crisis ten years ago when net immigration was at zero and yet Irish families were having to be accommodated in hotels (and reducing net immigration to zero again would have little effect on solving the current housing crisis....Irish people and migrant workers / students are not necessarily even competing for the same accommodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Albanians sleeping on camping mats in gutted office buildings and getting 38 quid a week are not the reasons 35 year olds can't afford a 400k house in Dublin.

If that’s the case, the lads at the protests are equidistant to the youth demographic as your good self. It’s a bit rich, you branding them as ‘middle aged’ and ‘old men’, no?

Whilst we’re on the topic of anecdotal evidence, may I remind you that ‘Strazdas’ made the rather sweeping claim that young people have zero reservations about immigration and their friendship circles are apparently replete with immigrants. I suggest you pick that particular bone with him.

It really is like trying to communicate with a brick wall, but let me try break this down for you in the most simplistic terms. Many people, including those under 35, have reservations about immigration. This has been corroborated in multiple recent polls. However, they’re not going to protest outside buildings as they know that it’s an exercise in futility. Why are you trying to conflate concerns about the volume of immigration with relatively small local protests? Isn’t that somewhat reductive thinking, even for you?

Is this thread about immigration or asylum seekers? I think everybody is aware that recently arrived asylum seekers aren’t competing for 400K houses. However, the large majority of migration driven population growth, is unrelated to asylum seeking.

Why would the under 35s blame migrant workers and refugees for their current housing problems and not the Irish government? All the indications are that the younger generation have been totally screwed over by successive governments in their lack in the of access to affordable housing and accommodation of their own : nothing whatsoever to do with immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I don't see much talk about fintechs or big pharma's bringing in Americans, and the post I replied too directly mentioned "housing every tom dick and Harry" so yes, my point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

A poll is a snapshot in time. I doubt many of those polled could tell you how many people applied for international protection last month, or the month before. After one record breaking year the numbers are normalising, with 5 months of a big drop off in numbers arriving. I can see no reason why they won’t return to what they have nearly always been, i.e., well below the EU average. The issue will drop down the news agenda and the public interest will move on to other issues.

Why is it a bit rich? The lads at the protests are late 40s early 50s +

What difference does it make what she I am?

Your claims that under 35 year olds have reservation about immigrants isn't true in my world.

Why do you think you should be allowed to immigrate to another country, but you don't think anyone should move here?

There’s nuance here. Everybody is well aware that there are multiple contributory factors to the housing crisis. Government mis-management is of course one of them.

However, to suggest that the extraordinary migration-driven population growth throughout the last decade, has had no impact on housing availability in this country, is utterly naive at best.

People (including those under 35!) understand that resources are finite and when the demand for services and commodities increases, competition increases, and availability goes down. Immigration is undeniably a factor.

In fact, those of us in that age bracket, who are currently going to house viewings, can see with our own eyes how immigration has increased competition for the finite resource that is housing. It doesn’t mean that we’re going to start protesting outside what another poster termed ‘empty buildings’, but we aren’t naive to the impact of demographic pressures.

• Advertisement

But you aren’t part of that world. That isn’t your demographic as you well know.

Can you point out where I suggested that there should be zero immigration to Ireland and that I have carte Blanche to move wherever I choose? Are you capable of any form of nuanced thinking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement