Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,139 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You were asked a simple question - and not for the first time:

Do you acknowledge and accept the evidence of Garda malpractice?

Utterly unable to bring yourself to do so, you engage in this sideshow.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

The GSOC Report concluded there was no evidence to support claims by Ian Bailey, his partner Jules Thomas and witness Marie Farrell that the Garda investigation into Ms Toscan du Plantier’s murder in west Cork in 1996 was corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

"Following legal argument in the absence of the jury, Mr Justice Hedigan ruled Mr Sheehan could not give opinion evidence and his testimony ended rather abruptly.”

Thanks for that. Is that unusual that someone like Sheehan could not give opinion evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Where have I not? Again, strawman arguments, not answering questions put to you and then no retraction of the slur against Eugene Gilligan.

All this because you can't deal with the fact that Bailey remains the number 1 suspect.

• Advertisement

Where did you say that you had?

You havent stated that you accept the below and dont pretend otherwise.

Any excuse or vague semantics to avoid doing so is resorted to in very obvious tactics of evasion.

Do you acknowledge and accept the evidence of Garda malpractice?

GSOC concluded there was no evidence to support claims that the Garda investigation into Ms Toscan du Plantier’s murder in west Cork in 1996 was corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It was inadmissable as it wasn't signed off by the DPP Eamon Barnes. Barnes retired shortly after the murder and James Hamilton took over as DPP. He agreed with Sheehan that there was no case against Bailey , and told Sheehan to throw it back to the Gardaí. There was no new evidence presented against Bailey so his decision stood

Did you read the article? What else did it say?

Bearing in mind I said there was Garda malpractice.

So can you find where the article and report finds no evidence of malpractice? *

Otherwise what point of mine are you contradicting?

* Hint: you wont be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I found that rather odd.

So the Bandon Garda station tapes were not mentioned.

Marie Farell wasn't coerced by the Gards

Martin Graham wasn't supplied drugs by the Gards to get close to Bailey

No attempt was made to frame Bailey by the Gards.

All a bit a contradiction, ain't it.

Ah, yes, a wee bit of evidence got lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There was no malpractice "at high level". But they would say that, wouldn't they?

And conveniently they found a deceased Guard to hang the established malpractice on wrt tampering with the Jobs Book.

meaning that there was ample malpractice at lower level, local Gards.

High level, I would say, that's somewhere at HQ in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I was aware that Thomas had not mentioned Bailey by name, the likely reason being Sophie had not mentioned his name to her. He was just some oddball with literary pretensions hovering in the background. The fact she failed to mention details of that conversation until 2015, as you claim, has no great significance for me. There has been no grand conspiracy on the French side to create false evidence in a bid to get Bailey at all costs. Based on real evidence and witness testimony he was found guilty of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The act of burning unwanted clothing is rather odd, don't you think? Why not just put it out with the refuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

There very well may have been no refuse service. In many parts of the country in the 90s there was no bin truck going around. In my household in the 80s/90s my dad burned rubbish once a week - that's what everyone done.

You may have been aware but it was not clear from your post that he had not been named.

Not remembering it for over a decade has no significance to you? Anyone who knows anything about miscarriages of justice would be aware of the risk of such 'remembrances'.

The French trial was a farce and a damning indictment of French justice on multiple levels. It was an insult and belittling of an EU peer.

The procedural abuse of data gathered under one code of practice without DPP oversight and used in another very different one as if it had been gatheted there has been noted by multiple posters on the thread

Ah come on she suddenly remembered this in 2015 when Bailey was the main suspect. You don't think that's convenient.

So you admit you were strawmaning. Arguing a point I hadn't made. That's a good start anyway. Now any chance you can name all the people involved in the conspiracy against Bailey? How big was the list? And any retraction of your slur against Eugene Gilligan? You wouldn't like to be using very obvious tactics of evasion, would you?

@Musicrules Just wondering, in your opinion what precisely do you think was Bailey's motive for murder? How would he have benefitted by killing Sophie?

• Advertisement

No admittance of strawmanning in the previous post. So you start off with a demonstrably false statement and continue in same manner.

Likewise your inability to answer a simple question about Garda malpractice speaks volumes about you openess to considering evidence. Malpractice established by GSOC and covered as a major news story. You cannot pretend you are unaware of it. But for some unknown reason refuse to post any acceptance of that fact. So it seems not only do you not accept the DPP but GSOC also.

I withdraw no slur as I made none.

I listed several reasons why evidence in this case warrants a high level of scrutiny and noted the DPP likewise does not note this as accepted evidence. Does that mean anything the DPP did not accept could only have been because they doubted the integrity of the Guard in question? You seem to imply that any questioning or rejection of Garda evidence can only be as a slur on their integrity. I did no such thing anymore than the DPP did.

What I said was AGS do not get the benefit of the doubt in an investigation that was both flawed and subject to malpractice.

Nor are Garda statements 'gospel' or otherwise we would not have a DPP oversight of their evidence.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

He lost control, went too far and thought he had to kill her then. It's such a believable scenario. It happens so regularly with men attacking and killing women.

What link has Eugene Gilligan to any type of malpractice? Let's see if you can even answer 1 question without strawmaning or any other form of bluster.

You tell me. You seem to have assumed a link when none was directly drawn.

I listed multiple reasons why any Garda comment on this case should be scrutinised and challenged more than a typical case. Nowhere did I say this specific Guard engaged in malpractice. Indirectly however all Guards on this case are linked to a flawed, malpracticed investigation. And several other Guards on this case either did engage in malpractice or were recorded discussing such action.

You are the one who seems to think any questioning of a Guards comments is a slur on their integrity.

You have multiple times on the thread stated the investigation was flawed.

Terrible thing to be saying about so many experienced Guards, if thats how you feel about such questions which you assume to be slurs.

I have listed several reasons why Garda comments should be scrutinised:

1. Flawed investigation - which you also stated

2. Malpractice in the investigation - which you have not denied

3. The pressure to 'get a result' in a high profile case can lead to a tunnel vision and confirmation bias. Especially to 'make amends' for 1.

4. The general oversight and scrutiny a DPP applies to evidence, especially to guard against 2 and 3.

The DPP seemingly does not accept these specific claims as they are not in the report though the coat and fire are discussed in detail.

And as noted, this is all speculation re: use of coat in the murder. It is indirect evidence on top of indirect evidence.

And remember there is documented malpractice in this case even though you refuse to accept - though you do not deny it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30859712.html

Odyssey06, you come across as well informed on this case. You have clear views and I can understand many of them and where you are coming from. I respect your knowledge of the case and your right to have the opinions that you do on the investigation. I don’t entirely disagree with you in every respect; you’d have to know nothing about the case or be a hardcore Garda fanatic or fundamentalist not to agree that serious errors were made in the investigation.

I do not wish to appear unfairly dismissive of views which are different from my own on this matter.

In my view - and I appreciate you have pretty much an entirely different view - the investigation involved serious mistakes and did not involve the more serious misconduct of ‘malpractice’. Notwithstanding the serious mistakes made, the errors still fall short of corruption and I attach weight to the findings in the GSOC report that there was no evidence of corruption in the investigation.

The word malpractice - in my view - is very different to maladministration and involves a more serious, intentional wrongdoing which goes to the heart of the investigation. For example, the conversation between two Gardaí talking about/along the lines of ‘wouldn’t it be great if Bailey went in to Marie Farrell’s shop while it was bugged and confessed to the lot of it’ - I see this as belonging to the category of garden variety (for better or worse) informal conversations that Garda colleagues tend to have when they believe and expect they are speaking privately about cases they are working on and not as evidence of a sinister plot in the organisation to ‘frame’ an innocent man. I agree with Gsoc that this case falls short of that very gross standard of wrongdoing; in my view there were serious errors but there is no evidence of malpractice, which is something far more egregious than error. I am not closed off to the possibility that such evidence of misconduct on that level could yet be found - but I don’t believe that it has been established to date that malpractice occurred.

If anything in the tone or content of my previous posts caused offence, I apologise. I am interested in the case and in others views on the facts of the case. For me, all the evidence points towards Ian Bailey having killed Sophie - I know others hold very different views and I respect their right to express those views even though I don’t share them.

As expected, you decided to go with the bluster option. I stated that I'd believe a Garda forensic expert with years of experience over an internet Bailey supporter. To which you replied:

"Given the documented Garda antics and malpractice in this case - which despite being repeatedly pointed out to you, you refuse to engage with or acknowledge, only further undermining your credibility. They have lost the benefit of the doubt, and exactly what aspect of forensics Gilligan is an expert is is very much open to question."

You were linking Eugene Gilligan to 'Garda antics' and 'malpractice'. You've tried to weasel your way out of that but failed.

Now why would you want to taint the good name of Eugene Gilligan? Because that's part of the modus operandi of Bailey defenders. Anyone who contradicts the notion that Bailey is some hard done by innocent is in on the conspiracy. They're either a corrupt guard, involved with drugs, a dodgy character, they're liars, they don't understand what Bailey really meant and so on.

You want us to believe that a long list of people are out to get Bailey instead of the obvious, he's the main suspect because he has a long list of suspicions against him. Let's not forget, guilty or innocent, he's a woman beating scumbag. Yet, you defend him but try to sully the name of a highly respected Garda forensic expert. He wasn't lying when he stated what he found in the fire, as I stated, I'd trust his verdict far more than a bailey defender posting on the internet.

Also, none of the names that Bailey defenders try to darken forced Bailey to beat Jules to a pulp, they didn't force him to change his story about his whereabouts, they didn't give him the suspicious injuries, they didn't tell him to burn his clothes and shoes soon after the murder, they didn't force him to confess multiple times etc. That's why he's top of the list of suspects. No amount of bluster, strawmaning, misrepresentation, sullying people's good name and so on can make that go away.

Odyssey06 your points are very well made. I think you are wasting your time though trying to argue with certain posters here. They are repeating the same points over and over again without actually discussing valid points others have made. They dodge questions others ask.

Its clear they do not know what is actually evidence or how the judicial system works - they really are missing the bigger picture here. Its clear they do not want to discuss or even entertain other theories - they just wrongly write them off as hollywood fiction without actually discussing the theories. Its clear they think the Gardai done an ok job which is laughable. Their posts are tedious at this stage - I think you need to stop engaging with them.

Yes, but losing control is not a motive. Again, what kind of motive could Bailey have had for killing Sophie? And he must have had a motive, after all taking a hike for one hour to get to her house is quite a physical challenge after a few drinks in the pub, plus the uncertainty of Sophie even opening up the door? So what would in your mind the motive for Bailey have been?

People simply don't hike around at night, in darkness after many drinks in the pub in order to knock on people's doors in the middle of the night for no reason.

Bailey certainly wasn't in the habit of visiting other women at night or in the early morining in order to beat them up?

I'll let Bailey himself answer that for you, here he is talking in the second person:

"You saw her in Spar and she turned you on, walking up the aisle with her tight arse. You went to see what you could get and she was not interested. You chased her. It stirred something in the back of your head. It went a lot further than you intended."

• Advertisement

In my opinion, having met her, Bailey was interested in Sophie and he wanted to meet her again. This is something that Agnes Thomas’s statements attest to - I am aware of the challenges that may be made with regards to Agnes Thomas’s statement; I believe her to be telling the truth.

I believe the motive for going to Sophie’s house that night was sexual or at least primarily sexual.

In terms of previous instances where Bailey behaved in a similar way (i.e. making advances on a woman who was not his partner at night in a drunken state), we know that he made an attempt to be sexual with Collette Gallagher without her consent, going so far as to get into the bed where she was sleeping and touching her. That assault did not go further in circumstances where it was interrupted by the arrival of Jules Thomas at the scene. Like Sophie, Colette Gallagher also ran from Bailey and was in considerable fear - of course she escaped relatively unharmed physically whereas we know that Sophie did not escape and was brutally murdered.

Advertisement