Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Fair enough. One point I will make, is that vanishingly few Americans relocate to Ireland in the tech sector. It’s not a great example to illustrate your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I am not part of what world? The world of my family? The world of my friends children? What makes you think I am not of that world?

I have a child of my friend living with me at the moment, why would I not be part of that world? I currently am renting in Dublin, I know all about the housing crisis!

I and everyone else I know, understand that the housing crisis is nothing to do with asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But they will need to he housed or the government will face having to substantially compensate new arrivals ,one minister previously promised own door accommodation in weeks , while they won't be challenging for 400k homes people trying to buy said 400k Homes will competition from local authorities and other housing providers buying bulk of houses to provide housing for social housing and new arrivals , we seen something similar when a previous government was buying up properties to be given to Syrians refugees,so you end up with people battling to secure a home ,we already well know there is not enough housing for everyone to either purchase,or for rentals or social housing, bringing in tens of thousands of essentially economic migrants that by law need to be housed is absolutely wrong and unnecessary.

Again I ask you, are you capable of any form of nuanced thinking? Why are you conflating the housing crisis with asylum seeking? You do know that almost 90% of inward migration is entirely unrelated to asylum? Are you truly suggesting that the large volume of inward economic migration has no impact on housing availability?

Returning to my previous post, can you point out where I advocated for zero immigration and suggested that I’m free to migrate at will. Come on now ‘Suvi’, back up that assertion.

The fact is, you don’t understand the pressures of being a parent to a young family, with most of your friends also in their 30s in similar situations. We’re the demographic acutely and most directly impacted by the housing crisis. We’re the demographic viewing houses weekly or monthly. We’re also the demographic who experience first hand the intense competition and understand the various drivers, of which migration is undoubtedly one.

I don't understand the pressure of the housing crisis on people? Your children are too young for you to worry about a housing crisis.

I am renting in Dublin, and 2years ago my landlord gave me notice, it took me almost all of my 6 months notice to find somewhere else. I am now paying massive rent, and I look after the son of one of my friends, because there is nowhere else for him to go. I understand more than you, exactly how the housing crisis works.

None of which is the fault of refugees or asylum seekers though🙄

Btw, that wasn't me you responded to in your last post

• Advertisement

Did you even read my previous post? I ask you again, why are you conflating asylum seeking / refugees with the pressure that inward migration is exerting on housing and other services? Why are you disingenuously persisting with this angle?

Again, I ask you to back up your assertion that I am advocating for zero immigration. You made that accusation, now corroborate it.

Just listen to yourself. People with young children don’t understand the housing crisis. Seriously? They are precisely the people who are desperately scrambling for housing to accommodate their spouses and their own flesh and blood. I can assure you that that those 30 somethings, who you claim to understand, would be astonished by your last post.

I never suggested that you are advocating for zero immigration? Can you point out where I suggested that?

I can assure you, that those 20 & 30 somethings I know, have no issue with immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would argue though that the type of housing and accommodation that the working Irish are seeking may not be the same thing at all that migrant workers are looking for. Migrant workers are often young and single and will frequently take any type of accommodation near enough to where they work (as their main aim is to save money and build up a nest egg or to send it home). The working Irish who seek accommodation are often young couples or young families seeking to put down permanent roots in this country : it's not at all a given that the two cohorts are directly competing with each other for the same houses and apartments.

No answers as usual. Speaking of exercises in futility..

Plus ca change..

What answer are you looking for?

You didn't answer me either, where I asked you to point out that I asked for your zero refugee stance? Which I didn't,btw, you claimed I did.

• Advertisement

You can argue that all you want, but that doesn’t make it correct. Have you been to a house viewing recently in Dublin? I have as indeed have many of my friends.

In some cases, the majority of the potential purchasers are migrant families, with Indians and Eastern Europeans, particularly well represented. More power to them if they have the financial resources to purchase single family homes in Dublin.

However, to suggest that immigration has no impact on competition for housing or that the lines of demarcation between the various demographics are sharply delineated, is absolutely incorrect.

I am Actively going to house viewings in Dublin. There are lots of people at most viewings. Some look like non nationals, some look like Irish nationals.

Doesn't matter one bit who they are, or where they are originally from.

Unless, you think we should banish all non nationals from the country......

I quote you verbatim.

’Why do you think you should be allowed to move to another country and nobody should move here’. I don’t know about you, but ‘nobody’ as crudely articulated as I have come to expect, is pretty unequivocal.

Why are you continuing to conflate refugees with immigration, when they constitute ~10% of the total?

I have no idea what you're trying to say here?

Maybe think about it overnight, and come back tomorrow with an actual question?.

But the problem is supply, not demand. Blaming potential buyers and renters for the housing crisis would seem a bizarre way of approaching the issue. It's up to the government to provide enough housing, services and infrastructure for the amount of people currently in the country and projected to be in it. Giving the Govt a free pass and claiming instead there are too many people in the country would be an odd take on things (and non nationals are often among the most productive members of society i.e. very likely to be young taxpayers, in fulltime employment and not claiming benefits).

The pressures are caused by lack of supply - not by acute competition. Stop giving the government a free pass on this and blaming buyers and renters for the predicament they find themselves in. To take your argument to its logical conclusion, you may as well be claiming there are too many returning emigrants in the country, that they should have stayed in Australia and the US and 'they are causing the housing crisis'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

We have increased our population by20 pct in 20 years, the problem is definitely made worse by demand..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's gone from a peaceful country to the gun capital of Europe with gun violence, gang violence and ghettos.

But all your police friends welcome the increased workload and the increased risk of being shot.

They all ignore this and are in favour of immigration and express to you there biggest frustration is others talking about it.

Everyone you know has nothing but positive things to say about immigration despite the soar in popularity of right wing policies.

If you said a handful of all these sweedes you know had reservations about immigration it might make it slightly believable.

But no every single sweede you know has nothing but positive things to say about immigration.

I never said that you can stop putting words in my mouth.

The Swedes I know are not happy about the rest of Europe putting their country down. It's still a lovely country. There seems to be a narrative that the country has changed massively because they now have immigrants, which historically they didnt.

Well you previously said you have loads of sweedish friends who had nothing but positive things to say.

Now all the police you know are annoyed others point out the increase in crime.

You are correct you didn't say they all spoke positively about immigration.

So can you now clarify if any of them have anything negative to say about it?

• Advertisement

About immigration? No, I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about immigration. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

So your police friends, who should naturally be motivated by law and order, are more worried about what other nations think of their current situation, than the decline of law and order in their nation? That's a tale that most reasonable people would really struggle to get on board with.

Post edited by TomTomTim on

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I have never mentioned how they feel about work.

And in very much the same way as most Irish people, they love and have pride in their country, and yes they get offended when people put it down. Seems very reasonable and most people would feel the same I imagine.

You just said they have pride and love in their country.

Due to mass immigration the country is gone a peaceful country to the gun capital of Europe and has increased gang violence.

It would seem strange to me a policeman or women who have pride and love for their country would have nothing negative to say about one of the reasons the country has turned into a disaster.

But what really angers them is people who speak the truth about the country.

I'm sure even people with similar views to you are nodding there head.

You can of course point out any single post by me mentioning anything about a far right conspiracy?

You call their country as disaster. They do not.

'their' 😉

You said they have pride and love for their country.

You say they have nothing negative to say about the biggest reason for law and order issues in their country.

If they had pride and love than they would certainly have issue.

You are completely contradicting yourself and fooling nobody about these alleged friends.

You asked if I ever heard anyone saying anything negative about immigration. I have not.

I will take their opinions rather then your take on the law and order of Sweden

So if you are taking their opinion on immigration that confirms you discussed the topic with them.

So it confirms every policeman and women of the many you allegedly know all speak positively about mass immigration.

These are people who are on the front line each day dealing with negative impacts caused by mass immigration.

The same people who told you they have pride and love in their country but they speak positively about the biggest cause of law and order problems in the country that they have pride in.

Well that is rather bizarre and believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

So it confirms every policeman and women of the many you allegedly know all speak positively about mass immigration.

In a nation that's lurching to the right too, it's almost impossible that this is true.

From what they've said so far though, they seem to know not one person in their life that has an issue with immigration. How convenient.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement