Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Good point on the radio silence from credible spokespeople. The whole Waity Katey thread really bore fruit in the end as William and Kate are going on almost a quarter of a century together. Survivorship bias suggests it will continue. Whatever the actual reality here is any divorce between the Sussexes would be a mess. There are two young kids and my guess is that custody of them post-divorce would be the driving factor. I think joint custody would be the result even taking Harrys openess into account. The same deal as with Diana in 1996 would be a solution. Between $10-20 million in a lump sum with yearly maintenance of half a million. Keeping it amicable for their kids. Harry would basically lose whatever personal wealth he has and would imo live back in the UK as a pariah. I don't think it would serve Meghan well to do tell alls. Money could run out and any maintenance payments might be predicated on strict agreements i.e. go do an Oprah 2.0 and they stop. Any potential romantic suitors would need their heads screwed on.

The only real winners in all of this whatever might happen will be the tabloids who will be having a field day with whatever stance/tactics are adopted by them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say Megghy would have some insane demands in a separation/gagging order deal.

As it is they have no gossip/shìte left to sell, so accepting officially being cut off would hurt her ego badly.

Plus her reputation stateside is possibly worse than in Britain after crazy idea of the invisible high speed chase story.

All she has for leverage now is the kids + shutting up, thats her last payday stunt. She tanked her independent brand completely with the chase bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Even if they have or will split up I think she would prefer to be broke than to have ‘her truth’ ‘silenT or silencED’..

she is an energy vampire and a drama llama. She will find a way of being Wealthy alongside speaking her truth. Marrying up to a real billionaire will be in Her sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

When Meghan split from her first husband, she didn't ask for anything and even gave him back her rings. From a google search, he was worth about $5 million dollars. Since Meghan had been with him for about 10 years (married for 2), its surprising that she didn't claim any of that, wouldn't you think?

'Suits' is smashing all sorts of records on Netflix. Many are saying the reason for that is that it is a good show and Meghan Markle is a big draw. Why would Netflix want to drop her? And the British tabloids can't stop talking about her. Her ''brand'' seems to be very much in demand.

The tabloids would make you laugh really - some are reporting that that the Governor of California has blocked her phone number (who believes that nonsense LOL. As if Meghan Markle has only access to one phone) and another newspaper is saying that Joe Biden's campaign manager (and sister) has endorsed her for the White House!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

As it is they have no gossip/shìte left to sell, so accepting officially being cut off would hurt her ego badly.

She has a fair bit left up her sleeve to dish if Harry becomes her ex in a bitter divorce. His current drug intake, and stories about him that the palace quashed over the years.

Even just a revival of how he treats his polo ponies wouldn't go down well with the masses. Not many people know that he basically rode a pregnant pony to death despite being told not to, he was reprimanded for using spurs to the point of bleeding for another horse and polo friends of his reportedly have stopped lending him animals because he doesn't give a fcuk about their welfare. That's before you'd even get into the hunting he and his toff buddies did before Meghan stopped him.

Then there's all the stuff from his wild years. You're looking at an Angie/Brad level of vitriol if they are divorcing.

She will find a way of being Wealthy alongside speaking her truth. Marrying up to a real billionaire will be in Her sights

This is her best strategy, but it's a tall order to pull off. She might think that she's the next Jackie Kennedy Onassis, but she's not remotely as charismatic as JKO was. She's beautiful but no supermodel, she's 42 on her next birthday so unlikely to be a contender for any billionaire looking for a woman to have kids with. And most damning of all, it looks like the circles in which she might meet a billionaire have closed ranks on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

omg that stuff about the polo ponies has made me sick… I never would have said he was capable of wanton cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I dont believe they are seperating or divorcing. Harry is completely besotted with her. She will be at the invictus games with him in September. It is interesting that she has being laying low and I can only assume it is due to her new PR/management company basically telling her to pipe down for a while, I would even think that it was a condition of them taking her on that she literally dissapears for 6 months. The NY fake papparazzi debacle was them hitting rock bottom. There will be a 'comeback', you can be sure. Interesting to see if his Invictus netflix documentary will be aired, it was due around about now but no sign of it being advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I posted above and literally minutes later I saw this 😆

No eye contact, least not from her, he looks like he is trying. No claw touching his arm. If this was their rebuttal to the rumours its not convincing....maybe there is trouble in paradise.

The surprise calls where the camera is all set up to capture it 👌 Indeed odd that they hardly look at each other. At a guess if there is trouble between them then perhaps the pretence needs to be kept for commercial reasons i.e. Netflix/Invictus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Do you know the details of their divorce?

From what I read she ended their marriage by sending him back his.rings in the post. Harsh way to end a marriage!

I haven't seen any details about their divorce anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That looks very fake and awkward and Harry looks like he has a bald patch over his ear.

If he hadn't ridden a pregnant mare to death I would have sympathy for him, but you reap what you sow.

Everything is in the public domain about Harry now (no holding back in Spare). The Palace squashed nothing in the past, his every move was all over the tabloids. He had to get into the boot of a car to go to a doctor when his penis was frost bitten and not tell anyone in his family or staff that worked for the RF as it would have been all over the papers the next day. He has never had any privacy, he was used and abused by his own family to cover up their own shortcomings.

Any evidence to show that in the event of a divorce, it will be vitriolic?

Exactly, neither have ever spoken about the breakup of their marriage which suggests to me a very civilised divorce, both showing respect for each other. Neither have any of their friends said anything other than they were living in two different cities and grew apart. If her first husband was treated badly you would think he would have spoken about it / sold the story to a tabloids. I bet he was offered loads of money for it (bearing in mind some actor colleague of Meghan who she had lunch with was offered 80K to say that he had slept with her by a tabloid - which he refused even though he was very broke at the time.

It is mystifying that having spent about 20 years in the movie industry, every one of her former colleague/film crew member has nothing but good things to say about her, even though most of them would have been offered money by tabloids to dish dirt on her (and many would have need the money).

It is really remarkable how when she got together with Harry she turned into some kind of witch overnight.

My guess would be that between them they both cut ties with the royal family and have been sniping ever since about that falling out. Interviews, Books etc. Attempts at conveying their self-righteousness and truth. The tell would be the lack of personal accountability about their own behavior in that falling out. They are the victims. As such, in the event of a divorce and given their characters, that same impulse to give out their “truth” and play victim may result in any tit provoking an inevitable tat which which would then cause a cycle of vindictiveness between them.

How was she turned into a witch the minute she met Harry? From what I remember there was general delight and support about it all. Meghan had no baggage when she met Harry. A clean slate. So she was divorced? So bloody what. Sure it would put some traditionalists noses out of joint but it was seen as a progressive move considering all the problems following the letter of church laws had caused the royals in the past. The traumatized kid found someone he loved, someone who happened to be divorced. Deal with it. Even when the tabloids were muck raking she was still backed up and continually given the benefit of the doubt. I think it is generally assumed that the tabloids are toxic and even through the drama with her dad pre-wedding the sentiment was that we all have familys and familys can have problems. It was when word started leaking out about what was going on behind the scenes that opinions began to sway and, personally speaking, she was side eyed as tone deaf when she did the no one asked me if I was ok interview. I think that was a turning point. In short, she had overwhelmingly positive good will but dissipated it through her own behavior.

I'm not sure what the point you are making about her previous divorce. Bearing in mind that the KCII is married to a divorcee and he is Head of the Church of England, I don't see how anyone could take issue over her being a divorcee and I don't think anyone could have when Harry's father was a divorcee himself!

My point remains that up to her meeting Harry (at a mature age it has to be said) no one had a bad word to say about her including her ex-husband!

I suggest you read this academic study (39K dissertation) on ''The Architecture of Racism, Sexism and Misogyny: A Critical Discourse Analysis of the Representation of Meghan Markle by the British Press.'' which will refresh your memory. Indeed, recollections may vary not just by the Royal Family, but also the British public on how Meghan Markle was treated.

Link to dissertation (which has been made available by the person who wrote it).

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/363693792_The_Architecture_of_Racism_Sexism_and_Misogyny_A_Critical_Discourse_Analysis_of_the_Representation_of_Meghan_Markle_by_the_British_Press

And just for the record, here is some of the conclusions:

Constructing six sub-corpora, each of which was split into two further sub-corpora (i.e. one broadsheet sub-corpus and one tabloid sub-corpus), I have shown that Meghan has consistently been the subject of racist, sexist and misogynistic coverage since the moment she began dating Prince Harry, to the moment they made the decision to step back from senior royal life.

Whilst the spotlight has firmly been on the British tabloids and the role their racist and sexist coverage may have played in Meghan and Harry’s decision to withdraw from frontline royal duties in recent times (Frazer-Carroll, 2020; Saleem, 2020; Yahr, 2020), I have demonstrated in this study that the broadsheet press were not entirely innocent in their treatment of Meghan during this period. There have been several articles written by the broadsheet press during this period that have been covertly sexist, racist and misogynistic in their representation of Meghan Markle. That is not to say, however, that many of the conventional distinctions between the broadsheets and the tabloids did not shine through in their representation of Meghan during this period. The broadsheet press’ tendency towards more factual and informative reporting and the tabloid press’ tendency towards sensationalism was particularly clear in this study.

The British tabloids’ reporting on Meghan during this period was characterised by a crude focus upon sensation and scandal, focusing on topics such as Meghan’s sexuality and her dating history for instance, whilst the broadsheets reporting tended to focus on issues such as race, Meghan’s overall character and the clash between traditionalism and modernity prompted by Meghan joining the Royal Family.

This critical discourse study exploring the representation of Meghan Markle by the British Press has not only exposed just how fragmented feminism is in British society today, it has also provided evidence that any talk of a post-racial Britain is absolutely premature. Meghan’s story sends a damaging message to all people of colour, but particularly women, that we are still unfortunately yet to reach the stage where everybody is treated as equals.

Katie Mansfield. September 2020. A dissertation submitted in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of MA in English Language and Linguistics at the University of Sheffield

When you say ''word was leaking out'' - where and who was leaking it out?

What falling out with the Royal Family. The reason why Meghan & Harry left the UK because they couldn't tolerate the racist and sexist abuse Meghan was getting from the British press. Their falling out with the Royal Family is due to the Royal Family doing nothing about it to protect her. That is the row. Are you trying to tell me that Meghan wasn't right to get the hell out of dodge when they were treating her like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I see your dissertation and raise you a thesis, which is about the South Africa tour and compares coverage by BBC and The Sun. Of course, it was a time when the British Press and public were welcoming to Meghan - before the complaints and whining started "Nobody asked me how I was", "I should be getting paid for this", etc. It's a long read, but the key takeaway is

Neither media outlets focus on Meghan’s ethnicity, other than quoting her own words about her being a woman of colour. Moreover, none of the articles use discourses to portray Meghan as ‘them’, rather than ‘us’. Instead, she is portrayed as being part of the national family and British identity. Meghan’s portrayal in the Sun and BBC News’ articles is a great reflection of the difficulty to conduct what British identity is today, and how multi-ethnical and how much multi-ness Britain is. 

When Meghan's true nature came to the surface, some of the tabloids changed tack completely. And the rest is, well, history.

Rolling out a paper by a self-titled relationship expert now? Come on. You know how gossip can leak out. Reading it now but so far not convincing. The argument from the author is that social media and traditional media commented and actually wrote about Meghan factually and that in writing objectively (and specifically) about someone who is a woman, who is American and who identifies as mixed race/biracial deserves scrutiny via critical discourse analysis. I think the conclusion here will be that the tabloids write/wrote their stories about Meghan in sensational terms (as they do), that broadsheets continually referred to the objective facts stated above about Meghan via referring to her background/history in any given article (as any good writing does) and that social media users merely referring to Meghan as a woman, an American and of mixed race means that these collective people are demonstrably sexist, racist and misogynistic just because the author seems to think so.

• Advertisement

If you took the time to read even the conclusion of the dissertation I posted the link to, you would know that right from the very start of her dating Harry, the coverage of Meghan was racist and misogynist (all backed up by examples and references).

That study of the SA tour was fairly limited (14 articles I think in The Sun and BBC News). While mainly positive from the Sun, it was misogynistic (just covering her appearance, and always referring to her as a wife and mother - i.e., an appendage).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Somone mentioned Mr. Scabies above- he’s quit Yahoo News or was dumped, one or the other - apparently going to release another “bombshell” book…. Like we’re holding our breath in anticipation …not.🤪

https://www.gbnews.com/royal/meghan-markle-prince-harry-royal-family-omid-scobie-book-news

Lovely to see you back on the thread - I missed you- honest I did 😀

Just read the full paper (though it seems pointless as your first point is to attack the author). Sheffield University is ranked 104th (compared to UCD which is ranked 177). The dissertation was an MA degree. She is now doing a Doctorate. No need to make up your own conclusion - the author of the paper's conclusion was that:

''I have shown that Meghan has consistently been the subject of racist, sexist and misogynistic coverage since the moment she began dating Prince Harry, to the moment they made the decision to step back from senior royal life.''

Justin Trudeau and his wife have split- there’s a number of obvious awkward moments over last two years on video which suggests things haven’t been well for some time.

It’s a hard one to call really- it’s only when you see couples regularly and in public that you can get to see the signs over time - Dianna and Charles gave up putting on a United front so it was easy to spot- the fact all these videos are pre recorded makes it harder to judge and their in person appearances are rare.

I just still feel and always felt she was just on an upward career trajectory trying to get to the A list level and she’s still trying- I don’t see the marriage lasting - she didn’t take help from the RF which essentially meant she wanted to do things her way only- Harry will only be retained as long as he’s useful but I could see her hooking up with a much older billionaire or multimillionaire - maybe a plastic surgeon in their late 60s who wants to live life now after a lifetime making money from rich old ugly ladies 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

My main point is that you can find evidence to support almost any case, however phantasmagorical. Flat-earthers, creationists, the sun goes round the earth etc.

OK, provide evidence that opposes that research (that the coverage wasn't racist, sexist or misogynist from the very start). You can start here explaining this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Almost)_Straight_Outta_Compton (November 2016).

That's a very precise timeframe in the conclusion. Did the racism etc. suddenly stop after Megxit? The authors stance is that since I alone just made the decision to use the term Megxit she would argue that I am sexist i.e. Harry was also leaving, why was Meghan used to form a mocking pun? Sexism!

If we were being really ridiculous it could be argued that since I post on boards.ie that posters on here are also sexist. Like saying that Danny Baker tweet (which is extensively zeroed in on in the paper) has the same logic as his tweet is racist, Baker is British, British people are racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Are you suggesting that there's something wrong with being 'almost straight from Compton'?

• Advertisement

Indeed- and I thought I was bad posting on this thread so much about H &M - someone has actually gone an done a pucking masters on Meaghan- Jayzuz 😀

Advertisement