Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Great Post! 👍

Only advice I'd add is to ignore the forecasts and watch the radar instead.

Over the past month if you were to take forecasts at face value, a hell of a lot of outdoor events would have been cancelled. The forecast has been consistently worse than the actual weather in terms of persistent rain.

Luckily most days have had good dry spells so the trick is to watch the radar - and get out like you and make the most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

Looks like another washout weekend incoming, would be more surprised if we had a dry weekned.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Not sure there's been a single day I recall where temps haven't been at least 16c. Hell the median temp for most places down here in July was ca. 16c. I would say it hit 20c on well over half the days in my area during July - but haven't checked that.

Not saying it was a nice July, patently not, but the poster has a point. I too was in shorts most days, and I'm nearer 50 than 40 and have crap circulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

July was not warm even by Irish standards.

Temperatures were below average everywhere, Met Eireann clearly stated this but it didn't make it into media click bait as only interested in reporting extremely wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

That’s not true

Temps were actually above average in 3 locations and bang on average in another two according to Met E.

Nowhere was more than 0.8° below average. Most places were around 0.4° below.

Temps in the greater Dublin area crept over 20° on around 10 days.

It wasn’t a warm month of course. But there was nothing overly noteworthy about the temperatures. For good or bad. But we’d record rainfall.

So I’d hazard a guess that’s why the rainfall made the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Well all I can say to that is that I'm barely west of you in Tralee and it's been total crap with temps under 15 lots of days. Not a hope of wearing shorts here and I'd be a diehard of summer clothes and I've had to abandon them. This has been the most miserable July I've experienced in Tralee in about ten years. Great for you Cork guys if ye got shorts and t-shirts weather in July! But we, just west of ye in Kerry, certainly did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Yeah it’s been wet July alright, and weekends on one of the days managed to get out on a long cycle in Wicklow / Kildare in the beginning of July. And even in the really wet last two weeks at about 8pm most evenings it a shorts and T shirt walk. Any way let’s hope for an Indian summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Considering booking another trip away in August just for some heat and sun. This weather is cat melodeon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another fabulous blue sky morning on the algarve.

Speaking to mates at home and they actually sound depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

Everything is relative. But you cannot escape the facts that tell us july 2023 was cool and abysmally wet. Everyday had rain, and I may stand corrected but rainfall figures broke records in all stations.

As a previous poster commented Achill was lovely on a particular day this week and the sea was warm.

The official weather stats came in as a high of 19c and sea water temperature of 15.6c.

I would consider that unexceptional but maybe some folk are happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Hostile personal posts sniping at others need to stop. If you have a problem with a poster report the post . Please adhere to the forum charter. A number of posts have been deleted, stay on topic. Don't want to issue warnings to posters but will need to if the personal attacks continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

The average temperature is not just based on the day time temperature. Night times have dragged that average up.

Trying to frame July into anything but abysmal is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

July was totally shyte all round, but constant comparisons to southern Spain are a bit futile. It's Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Another wet morning. Friday night into Saturday looks particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Signs of a high trying to ridge north on the Monday fax, could be wishful thinking and its far out anyhow...I live in hope! Sunday looks decent enough for most bar the NW of the country.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

The sea was definitely warmer than that. I wonder where they get the temps from on those websites? I’m often in at 15.6c and it’s cold and feels it! One of those websites gives 16c today. Met Eireann forecasts sea surface temps as going down in the next few days off the west coast however.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Decided to go to Ballybunion yesterday afternoon for a swim. It was fab. Ok the sun wasn't out much, although it made an appearance, but the waves were huge (due to Supermoon and high tides), the water was warm, and it was invigorating.

Lots of people there despite the Irish weather, families on holidays, wetsuits on kids, hoodies and shorts on most people. Its not as bad as everyone makes out all the time. You just have to get out there. If you stay at home and watch the weather forecast you'd never do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

Many people’s expectations of what Irish weather is capable of are way too high. It’s the same every year.

I think our disagreements over June are a good example. On paper it was a brilliant month. But for some, it wasn’t.

But the entire country is just never going to be bathed in weeks of unbroken sunshine and temps over 25° every day.

I’d be far more disappointed with our winter weather (mild muck) than our summer weather these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

I never did. I don't think anyone made those comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's still drizzling here in Dublin. I thought it was supposed to be drying up by now. I was hoping my grass might be dried out enough to cut this evening, but it's not looking good.

As a person who hates the heat (if you check back I'm one of those who has posted about being unable to cope with our " good" weather and never holidaying in the sun), I have been very cold for July and most of June. I have had to wear a fleece working outside, I've had a hot water bottle most evenings. This week in particular has been particularly chilly - I'm trying to warm up right now.

Apart from a few days of warm humidity around the middle of June (which I complained about!) I've mostly been quite cold. The stats say it was very warm in June and only slightly below in July, but I think night time temps must be playing a big role there. Our lovely weather in Dublin in early June was cool and fresh with beautiful blue skies, and I loved it - but I would only love it if it was not hot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not sure anyone would compare Ireland to southern Spain when it comes to weather as they are worlds apart and I am very familiar with the weather in both regions. Alot of people do compare our weather tho to England/London and look for likenesses and even that is a bit unrealistic to expect similar expectations due to location/geography.

The past few summers have been very good but I feel the main thing most of the population feels this summer is being let down badly by this summer, especially the timing of the flip from good weather to bad. We talked an argued about June alot but much of the population doesn't really care for the June weather as schools are still ongoing and the holidays for most don't start till 1st of July and that's when most families choose to go on holidays. They may choose Ireland for a week away or weekends away as well as foreign trips. The sad fact for most of these families is summer packed it's bags and left the country within days of the kids getting their summer holidays. The ones that got away to sun holidays, most are back in Ireland and the grey skies, rain and wet ground is still here.

There are only 3 weeks left until all the schools reopen and the weather is still as bad as it was in July and looks like the bad weather will continue till around the middle of the month.

We may see signs of an improvement in the second half of August but any signs of things settling down currently look flimpsy and short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I personally don't recall giving much of a sh**e what the weather was like while I was off school in summer. You were just happy to not be at school and got on with whatever the weather threw at you. It feels more like parents deflecting their own disappointment onto their kids.

Maybe I just had a deprived upbringing, never setting foot on a plane so didn't know what I was missing out on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Only 3 days in July failed to get above 18 degrees in Cork (Moore Park) with those days all falling between 17-18c. Most days were between 19-20 degrees. In terms of temps (max and min) July was a bang average month here, certainly not chilly. The rainfall was certainly noteworthy and perhaps to some extent the lack of sunshine / days with above average maxes, but the majority of days had useable weather, my well walked dog will testify to that! Definitely been breezy mind, feels like we've had a distinct lack of calm days since the weather turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Temperatures have never been a problem for me (within reason), cool or hot I don't really care, but the lack of sunshine and almost constant breeze is what really gets to me. The persistent dark slate grey skies have been the biggest annoyance for me and the most frustrating thing about this season.

Also not sure if I'm just more aware of it but it seems to have been quite a windy year. Not in strength or key events but just seems to have been wind as an almost constant presence for months now and it's come right through the summer with us. Makes sitting outside even under a cover a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

For me 18-20 is not t-shirt weather unless very humid. And any bit of breeze would make that quite chilly if not physically active.

We've had a lot of days that have hovered around 14-16 for most of the day and then it warms up to 17-18 late evening. So stats show 18C but actually it was much cooler for much of the day.

I'm not actually bothered by the cool weather though, I just think it has been quite chilly. Like I said, I hate the heat, and it's much easier wrap up than try to cool down when working. It's the rain that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I remember summers when I was young as bad as this one, and, just as you stated, we got on with it. I suppose if I had been exposed to warmer climates I might have grumbled at the Irish weather, but like you, I did not let the weather put me off going outside. I cycled. I played tennis and football in the rain. I swam in the sea during wet weather. Walked the beaches, whether it was wet or dry. The only thing I did not do was climb mountains during inclement weather. To others they might have been miserable due to the weather. I certainly was not. I do enjoy a fine day as much as the next person, but I won't let most weather types stop me going off somewhere.

Advertisement