Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain like Sugar Loaf

• 31-07-2023 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 11 year old son is keen to try climbing another mountain. We did sugar loaf already. Put the car in the nearby car park and he was ok coming up with us

Is there another similar type mountain near Dublin area (North or South) anyone would recommend as he is dieing to try another around same level? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bray Head?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Three rock and kippure in dublin or turlough hill and djouce in north Wicklow. Kippure and turlough hill have roads to the top and other two are very accessible.

Post edited by Str8outtaWuhan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Thanks so much. Djouce looks great.

I was thinking of parking in the JP Malone car park. What time do you think I'd need to be there by to get a space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not sure what its called but i often park in the upper Glendalough car park & do the walk up over the lake, I go up first & then come down by the old mines, My daughter loves it , Its a nice one & handy enough ,

If your up early u'll likely bump into some goats & deer on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If weather is good b there before 10am. I've hiked most mountains in Dublin and Wicklow so when your kid is ready for some epic hikes let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's the white route, or Spinc walk, around 10km or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Djouce is a great shout. It’s on boardwalk too so should be doable even with the weather we’ve had.

You should be ok most times of the day at JP Malone, especially at this stage of the summer and the weather the way it’s been.

There’s also a few other smaller car parks just up the road as well. People typical stop in and hop out to take a snap of lough Tay, so cars move on quick enough

Crone woods is good as well and should be manageable if you’ve done sugarloaf. Little sugarloaf is also worth a ramble!

There's also the large car park opposite the Pier Gates, where the Visitor;s Centre was going to be built, that opens around 9am on weekends, but that would add another 2-3km on to the total length of the walk.

Thanks Alun. I figure it was 8km from Malone car park to peak and back and that was enough for child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Find your local scout group. He sounds like a kid who would enjoy it 👍🏾

• Advertisement

Yes, already done. He loves it.

I am terrible at this stuff so greatly appreciate the help here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

When they get to 11 you really should be more worried if you'll make it not him!! (Decathlon do great boots for kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Yintang

Tonelagee is another great one. Steep but short and a fab view over Lough Ouler, the love-heart shaped lake. My kids love a picnic there.

Up and down in 2 hours or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I’ve always found the steep bit at the very very start just after you cross the stream the worst part of it. I don’t know would an 11 year old be likely to take a tumble, I’ve sank up to my thigh in puddles there before

Folks, we went to Djouce. He loved it and so did we. Thanks so much for recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

Spinc, Djouce and Kippure are a lot more effort than Sugarloaf or Bray Head. but worth a try if you want to push things a bit further.

The Hellfire Club is a good short walk too.

You could also do some of the Howth Cliff walk. The full loop walk would be over 10k though.

The purple route in Howth is a long one, but there's plenty of spots to have a break along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭horse7

Is the glendalough car park free at this time of the year?

Neither the Upper Lake car park or the Visitor's centre car park are free, any time of the year.

The only free car park is the one down by the Woollen Mills in Laragh village. Turn left by Lynham's pub as you enter Laragh and the entrance is about 500m on your right. Its probably about a 2km walk from there to the Monastic Village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Visitor Centre carpark is certainly free outside Summer. Oct-Apr I think.

I'll check dates next time I'm up there. I'd presume the Lake carpark is the same but I never use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement