Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Pat Gilroy whom I can imagine had a big influence on Dessie Farrell's management this year and probably played a big part in get players such as Cluxton return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

He means the traditional style of play Kerry play is more suited to a dry day. Catch and kick.

Teams that run the ball like Dublin more suited to a wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I don't think there is many managers out there who would drop any ego they may have and pick up the phone to Pat Gilroy and ask for his expertise to help out. Dessie wanted whats best for Dublin first and foremost, not for himself. With Gilroy, McCaffrey, Mannion, Cluxton all back on board Dublin were always going to there or thereabouts this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gilroy is an extremely busy man though, he could only commit a year to the hurlers when he managed them as well.

I have had more of a think about it since. I was thinking maybe a clutch of the 2011 lads as selectors at least - some real leaders there. Cullen and Philly with their fitness and nutrition backgrounds for example.

Outside that generation - Jayo has done a bit of underage management with the younger Dubs. At the very least he could be a good figurehead. Good at the media stuff as well. Has worked with Dublin panels for a number of years at senior level as - mentor, or whatever they call them now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Nope - definite credit where it is due there for Dessie - proper delegation. Dublin had the most famous water boy in the country.

In fairness, you were one of the few Dublin supporters who called Dublin to be there or thereabouts though, even before the arrival of Cluxton and Gilroy!

I honestly thought (worst case scenario) the way things were going that Leinster could be lost or worse after those div2 performances v what other counties were at - Galway - Kerry etc. But luckily Kildare have a sh!te management team, and cannot make use the obvious talent at their disposal.

At best the furthest I thought Dublin would get is the QF - Mayo - which I fully expected Mayo to win. A far cry from 2013, when I lashed the money on Dublin for Sam, at the start of the season each way.

After 2019 I thought all the signs were there that this Dublin team was going one way - on the downward curve fast, for a variety of reasons. Which in my book makes the Dublin turnaround even more impressive. However, it felt a bit like looking back to the past, rather than looking to the future. But it worked.

--

Kerry tried that years ago with Bomber Liston and it completely flopped.

Yet when it came to the crunch for Dublin 'Mannion, McCaffery, Cluxton' made all the difference as seen in the Final the last day. That is a three out of three strike rate for the old guard on the big pressure day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭mobby

Not only my view but the umpire and when informed the refs view when he was told what happened. I was sitting right behind it in the Davin. There's hardy been any consistency in games especially when it comes to the tackle, thats just the way it is. Usually swings and roundabouts it normally balances out in the end. But the Kerry chairman moaning about it 2 days after they lost an All Ireland just comes across as sour grapes..

I have great respect for Dessie he did the business for us in the end dispite all the abuse from so called Dublin Supporters. He has nothing more to prove to Dublin GAA From player to manager. I would have no issue with him if he does go.

That incident where Gough changed his mind was unusual. Looking at replays of it it looked like Clifford started the fouling it definately was no free to Kerry imo both players were at it but rarely does a referee change his mind. Mick Fitz gesticulating wildly and running over to plead his case to the umpire may have helped sway Gough's decision. Either way it saw a two point swing as instead of an almost certain Kerry point Dublin won the breaking ball and went on to score a point if i remember correctly. I was very relieved when it happened it was a crucial moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The throw in was a poor result for kerry who had possession at the time. No free was the right call, but Goughs error cost Kerry possession and crucially resulted in a Dublin point.

I was right behind it Clifford did start it both just going for the ball,but they were both at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kerry always have been poor losers IMO. They lacked a bit of steel coming down the stretch Sunday, Dublin were that little better, I actually thought dublin should have closed it out better, making alot of bad errors. I'll say it again Brian Fenton is footballer of the year, he was sensational from QF onwards in terms of dictating games. Clifford for me no, he was off radar Sunday and had a quiet QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is also fairly typical.

Whenever anyone on the losing side raises an issue ( and inconsistencies are a huge issue) in an interview after the game and ABOUT the game it is sour grapes.

The arrogance of the winner I suppose. If they aren’t on their knees in supplication and properly congratulating us as blanch cried about then they are sore losers.

Funny tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

It swings in roundabouts, Joe mc quillan have a very soft free against Derry in the SF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

This isn't correct use of "swings and roundabouts".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would the likes of Val Andrews and Paddy Christie be considered if Dessie called it a day? Also Paul Curran, Mick Deegan or Jack Sheedy?

Paddy Christie has got some intercounty experience managing Tipp and Longford. Ger Brennan has intercounty experience with Carlow. Darren Daly is not long finished playing and was with Dessie this year. Then you have the likes of Jayo and Philly Mac. And maybe down the line some of our current team will go into coaching and management. I cannot see us going outside the county anyway.

Simple Question Yes or No. On the day at that time was it the correct decision in your opinion?

No idea. I didn’t see the lead up and it isn’t the issue that chairman had.

He had issue with the inconsistency where this is going on all the time.

Val Andrews - there is a name from the past that I have not heard mentioned for years. I don't think he would have the profile even though he managed Louth plus Cavan - has senior inter-county management experience. From what I remember talking to a few Louth fans when he was there. I don't think they took to him. No idea about what Cavan people thought of him.

Paddy Christie - I think he would be a more popular choice compared to Val Andrews given his profile, he is doing senior intercounty with Longford as well.

There is the Ballymun connection - maybe he could talk James McCarthy into staying for one more year? If ever there was a fella that could convert McCarthy to a badly needed FB - (if Fitzsimons leaves) Paddy would be the right man for the job

Paul Curran - he would have massive profile anyway and has managed Ballymun - so there will be that connection which could help as above. But he has not managed senior inter-county

Jack Sheedy - would definitely have the profile he would be hard to miss, had his stint Managing Longford was a decade ago.

I have no idea what Longford people thought of Jack Sheedy's tenure as Manager - or what they think of Paddy Christie as current manager- I suppose the Longford fans would be the people to ask - did Sheedy do a decent job- is Christie doing a good job?

Mick Deegan - again definite profile but no intercounty management - is managing in 'enemy territory' with Ashbourne - has the connection with Jim Gavin as selector- so that continuity would be nice

Johnny Magee - is another name you could add to your list - had a stint managing Wicklow at senior intercounty level there three years 2015 -2018. Again, I have no idea if he did a good job to be honest, because success and improvement are all relative to the level of players available.

--

Off that list I suppose the most experienced candidate would be Val Andrews. And profile wise the highest profile would be Paul Curran I would say. But it is food for thought anyway.

I am sure the Dublin County Board have some list somewhere. But I would only be guessing on who who would get the Dublin job - if it becomes vacant again. There is no 'stand out' candidate IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

When is the last time anyone in Kerry didn't take a defeat badly? normally they blame refs and players from the opposition when they lose, it's rare they will admit that there team wasnt good enough on the day. Dublin outclassed them in 2023. Kerry had the better team on paper I thought but when was a game won on paper? I'm sure like they had bitter hatred for Tyrone because they couldn't beat them in the 2000s when Kerry had one of their greatest teams. They will start hating Dublin even more now. 4 All Ireland defeats to Dublin since 2011. That will hurt and this one especially . Kerry fans I knew were brushing aside Dublin 2023 team and that they wouldn't come close to this Kerry team this time around.Kerry had to beat Dublin in 2022 with last minute SOS free. They were barely hanging on at that stage only for that. Kerry will beat Dublin eventually like Tyrone in 2012 but most of these great Dublin players will be gone off the panel by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Did you dig deep to find that one? A partial extract from an interview as reported by a newspaper rather than a live one?

Remind me what trophy did Mayo win that day that Dessie should have congratulated them on?

Find one of Dessie's live interviews where he disrespected the opponents and didn't talk about how good they were. You will be searching. If you knew the topic, you would be more likely to accuse him of being patronising to opponents because he always talks them up, they gave us a hard test, we knew they would put it up to us, they are a good team etc.

You lose a final, you congratulate the winners. Kerry didn't, neither Jack O'Connor nor their Chairman, just the usual whinging. End of.

Gough's error was not to award a free out to Dublin as Clifford foul on Fitzsimons was first. However, having made an error to award Kerry a free, he could only reverse that to a hop ball. A greater injustice would have been Kerry scoring from that hop ball.

How do you know it was a 'partial' interview?

This is like a primary school stuff, 'He didn't praise me enough' and belittles decent Dub fans who aren't so insecure as to be looking for stuff to get offended about. You won, try to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Nail on the head.

You would think some Dublin posters are happy their team won another final but no incessant whining about what the opposing manager did or didn’t say in the post match interview.

Here it is if some posters want to get their facts straight where JOC compliments Dublin but obviously bitterly disappointed with the loss.

Jack O Connor looks a little shellshocked to me. Which is understandable as he's just lost an All Ireland that he felt was there for the taking. He has never been able to win back to back All Irelands with Kerry and you can visibly see the hurt in his face.

'Tis the arrogant among the winners responsible for this. Comes from a base of insecurity I'd imagine. You have them in every organisation...'I'm not getting enough credit' etc etc as everyone else silently throws their eyes to heavenward.

Not all fans are like that.

Nope. Two of them at it was the word he got from the umpires. We have no idea who fouled first.

Its unreal. That and what I can only call David Clifford Derangement Syndrome. They cant seem to deal with the commonly held view that Clifford is the best footballer in the country at the moment.

No issue with an opinion that Clifford is the best footballer in the country at the moment, though I would argue that Brian Fenton is better - whenever a game is in the balance, Fenton rises to the challenge - and others would argue for other candidates, however, the deluded opinion that Clifford is the GOAT based on his achievements to date I do take exception to.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I agree talk of the GOAT is way too premature and years away.

Id have Clifford, but Fenton is a glorious footballer too. A class act on and off the field. Has all the required attributes in spades of a midfielder in his fielding, engine, tackling etc, but with the skill level of any top forward.

He would be my POTY. McCarthy and Clifford didnt go enough for me in the final to get it.

Advertisement