Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We all know what a deportation is despite the fact they a extremely rare occurrence,

Again that's not what I asked,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And I have asked you plenty of questions that you didn't bother answering either. 👍

Ive answered everything,

But all I got from you is you know failed asylum seekers left because they are not here ,

And your not the first person to tie themselves in knots trying to avoid answering a simple honest question,

Because they left is being completely dishonest and you understand this , actually give you a funny one the last person who took your line of answering came to the conclusion they are not here because they left, how do you know they actually left, honest answer, my dad is in the aer corp and they organise and fly all of the deportations flight out of here ,

Someone obviously didn't think that one through......

But taking a child like approach does nobody any favours because is not an answer it's a simple case of reality you don't actually know,you don't know how many have been deported,over the 5,10,15,20 + years,you don't know how many have Just left because the government doesn't know neither does anyone else in any authority, finger print and photos are absolutely zero use if nobody is actually looking for these groups of people,

Your dad doesn't organise all the.flights out of here. That's a complete lie. Deportations take place on regular flights, nothing to do with the aer corp.

Fingerprints and photographs are a massive help to law enforcement.

Yes only if they are trying to solve crimes and identify suspects , but they are not allowed to go around randomly checking individuals finger prints for no reason.

Which makes them pretty much useless in this case

• Advertisement

Nope, not useless at all. And very much more helpful then trying to find a needle in.a.haystack UK or EU citizen here.

So, are you going to admit that your daddy doesn't deport everyone........

I never said my Dad.....

It came in a reply to the same question you refuse to answer, with anything other because.....

They are pretty much useless unless your looking for a evidence of someone at a crime scene,and even at that still limited,

Not much use when you can't find tens of thousands of people in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Everybody who applies for asylum is fingerprinted and photographed in the country they are applying to .This is the point of this that those people once deported / served with a deportation order , will no longer be able to apply here even with false documents .

They are unrelated to crime scene fingerprinting, although they can be checked against the database to check for criminal activity or records in another country , as they are checked to see if the person applied for asylum elsewhere also .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

That's a rant. You don't know what you don't know.

Here is a dail response to Catherine Martin on deportations from last October.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-10-26/148/#pq-answers-148_149

Sorry why and who should have the right to randomly go around fingerprinting people in your dystopian dream society?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The minister herself admitted "most of those who are refused to leave to land are allowed to stay and apply for international Protection anyway".

There is no confusion here despite the attempts by the above posters to muddy the waters.

The entire immigration and IPA system is unfit for purpose in this country and we have, by its complete functional failure, an open border being exploited past capacity by migrant scammers and a cohort of NGOs who are working out of Roddys department.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It'd be interesting to know if some of those defending our lamentably deficient immigration policies here, are in fact conflicted. In that they are benefiting from said deficient system. For example, perhaps owning properties that are being monetised through the system by way of arrangements with the state for use of same?

I'd like to know if any of those in opposition are laying claim to some gold.

🤣

Or indeed if those in opposition voted for the Fiannas at the last election and whether they intend to vote for the fiannas at the next.

What is deficient in our immigration policies do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I see the heroes of East Wall were out protesting again yesterday. So absolutely nothing has happened in East Wall since the DP centre opened, no one has been harmed, women and children are safe, all of it lies. Meanwhile a tourist up the road was nearly killed by local youths, and they continue harassing people daily going about their business. They were protesting outside Store St Garda station too, meters from where that American man was attacked, the lack of self awareness is flabbergasting.

Why aren't these scumbags concerned about the actual violence in the area committed by local youths? The murder of Ms Tserendorj and Thiago Cortes by their own kids in recent times too. Actual murders on innocent people and there are no protests and not a peep out of the locals.

Scum of the earth this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

When they commit a crime fingerprints are taken and if deported there is a record . Many still are able to slip back in .

You are deflecting - I'm querying whether some posters here are beneficiaries of our immigration woe.

Through letting properties??? Or perhaps working for a taxpayer funded agency involved in same?

Does Ireland really need unlimited asylum seekers and refugees can you provide the benefit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No it doesn't but these people are protesting about safety for their women and children. Why aren't they tackling the actual issues in the area which is solely down to local youths?

This is the definition of a straw man argument, not a single poster has advanced the suggestion of unlimited asylum seekers. Not a single poster.

And I was querying whether any posters lost some gold or vote for or intend to vote for the fiannas

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

"Believe me, the current idiots in power will have a change of tune coming up to election time.

By election time I expect some of those running will have their ear to the ground whether independent or whatever, this has become one of the major issues in small communities. "

Well then one way to get their attention is to turn up and vote for candidates that support your views and not candidates of any of the established political parties IMO. Don't even give them a single transfer, no matter what party they are for. That will shock them, and they will see that they can't have the same pattern in a general election. If that transferred to a general election then the likes of the Greens would be decimated, Labour and Soc Dems also live off transfers. Micheal Martin only got in on the 6th count, Simon Coveney on the 8th count. Pascal Donohoe 9th count. Leo Varadkar 5th count, Roddy O'Gorman 6th count. Simon Harris and Stephen Donnelly on the 15th count. Helen McEntee 7th count. They rely on transfers, if they go then they are in trouble. They rely on people's inertia and the sure I'll give them a vote to get in. When that stops the tide goes out and they're high and dry.

If SF for example see a fall off in their core vote due to this then they have no option but to pull back. They can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds for ever. They pulled back on the water charges fairly sharpish when they saw how the people felt. Councillors in all other political parties will put pressure on their parties when they see their vote going away too.

If you feel strongly about this then make sure you're registered to vote and talk to friends and family and ask them to do the same. It can start like a ripple and spread.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

turn up and vote for candidates that support your views

such as?

As am I - your question has been well thrashed out already on the thread.

My question relates to posters motives as I suspect there is a strong correlation between peoples views on this matter and how it benefits or disadvantages them.

In my case and I've already mentioned this, the current refugee/ asylum system has affected my income negatively. Part of that income comes from tourism related activity which has been affected negatively. Outlets that may have sold our products along the 'Wild Atlantic Way' side of the country have felt the cold chill of fewer visitors and lower sales, hence little restocking and loss of income to me. Some retailer outlets have closed. Our children are affected negatively too in part by the increased population pressure which has impacted on rental accommodations and rents. Others may be affected negatively in all sorts of other ways.

But on the other side of the equation, clearly there are net beneficiaries of the current situation. Particularly those letting accommodation to the state for related purposes, those funded to work in agencies to support the refugee/ asylum system, those who are employers availing of a ready source of cheap subsidised labour, those who have increased sales due to the influx of refugee/ asylum seekers in certain areas with disposable incomes to spend.

So it would be useful to know if either of you above and others who are ultra supportive of the current arrangements are beneficiaries of the current situation. In the interests of clarity.

My income is not affected in anyway by the arrival or not of immigrants. I don't even know anyone who works in any bodies that derive income as a result of immigration.

Wait I might know someone who works for an airline.

🙄

Well not that it's any of your business, but I don't even own the house I live in, I pay massive rent to live in it. I earn absolutely nothing from refugees or asylum seekers.

I also imagine that tourism has taken a big dive because it's too expensive. People with families can't afford to spend a wet week in the West coast when they only get one holiday a year. Who could blame them? They can get a week or two on the continent without having to take out a second mortgage!

But there is no limit on those asylum seekers or refugees that come .

Roderic O Gorman has a proposal to include climate refugees which will add to the record numbers already here. Where is the strawman ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/01/11/ogormans-idea-of-asylum-for-climate-migrants-is-criticised-by-former-minister-for-justice/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Lol 🤣 I wish.

But keep on dreaming there...

Advertisement