Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering an ICF build

Options
  • 30-01-2018 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm in the process of building a 2 storey ~3000sqft and I'm torn between ICF and traditional wide filled cavity. I was originally torn between timber frame and block but I chose block and was then drawn to ICF.

Here are my questions about ICF:
    1. Are people experiencing issues with the external render? Are you constantly giving out to your kids for kicking a ball against the wall? :)
    2. With ICF, what are your thoughts about having an additional internal stud wall to cater for services and mounting stuff on walls(TV, kitchen cabinets, etc)? I feel slightly uncomfortable about compromising the internal layer of EPS for this.
    3. How does the cost compare to a block build in current times? I've seen a lost of posts on here from the last decade with conflicting answers.
    4. Where does ICF fit into the passivhaus model?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. Grand. You build them a wall in garden to kick ball off. And add mesh where you need impact resistant
    2. Yeah the icf company will advise. Try to get 2/3 insulation outside, 1/3 inside
    3. Not any cheaper
    4. No where really. It’s just another construction method

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

[*]How does the cost compare to a block build in current times? I've seen a lost of posts on here from the last decade with conflicting answers.
    [/list]

I have one ICF project on site and another in the pipeline both were cheaper than traditional masonry approx 5-10% cheaper. both houses in the North East.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi, Did you go with ICF in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barrycoady

Hi all,

just joined the Boards so apologies in advance if this question has been answered.

Have decide to go with an ICF build for a number of reasons but mainly because of the the fact it is so well insulated. The only recommendations made to me so far in relation to a heating system for the house is a very expensive underfloor heating system using either a air to water heat pump or geothermal system with a heat recovery ventilation system all to the tune of €40,000+.

What is the point in us investing so much money in a super well insulated house only to have to put in such an expensive heating system which I understand can also cost a fortune to run on electricity? I know the ventilation system is required and heat recovery recommended but surely the need for underfloor heating will be above and beyond the heat requirements for the house?

There must be a more affordable and simpler solution without the need for all that plumbing and cost... I would ne very grateful for any suggestions?

Regards

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi Barry.

The quotes for both seem high. But there mat be grants available you should look into that.

As for they why. Consider you are just building a big refrigeration box. It needs to be warmed and or cooled depending on the buildings needs at any point in the year in order for you to live comfortably.

The house will need some form of ventilation mechanical or heat recovery this is to disperse moisture you generate through day to day living so its vital and should be designed properly now to avoid humidity, moisture, and mould damage later to the building or to the residents. The simplest and cheapest form is opening windows. But tbh if you're building a house in 2023 then design for 2033.

Heating, underfloor is out of site out of mind. Might be more expensive than radiators due to install methods. But it shouldn't be a hugely more expensive at this point of a new build. However the beauty of it is if the building is built to a high standard you Heating system will be underused. Only come on infrequently to top up the temperature and not be fighting against it.

Genuinely you should be looking at this money as an investment in your future. Low cost to run and very comfortable place to be in. People don't scoff at spending that type of money on a car. But when it comes to the place where they spend the bulk of their lives you should be aiming for low running cost and real comfort night or day.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lots to unwind there

1. ICF isnt any more "well insulated" that other build types. There is a particular level of 'insulation' required in all elements, no matter how its constructed.
    2. you do not HAVE to go with UFH with a HP system. Low temp rads work very well also. However UFH and HP do work well together. You do not have to do geothermal, and A2W Hps are much more popular these days. i havent seen a Geothermal Hp installation in about 8-9 years at this stage.
    3. Electricity costs are high for everyone! thats not a result of the HP, its a result of geopolitics. you HP provides hot water and space heating. If its not electricity providing this, then other costly fuels are required. This is simply contemporary cost of living issues
    4. you do not need to put in a "highly expensive" heating system into a "super insulated" house (google passive houses)..BUT, and its a big BUT, if you decide not to, you must show how you are in compliance with building regulations using the systems you choose. This isnt cheap to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The plumbing on a new build is, in my experience, the biggest cost next to the construction of the house itself. It's going to be airtight, pretty much so you'll need MVHR.

As Sydthebeat mentions above, leccy is expensive for everyone. I hear and read about people giving out about the price of running heat pumps but it's not actually the heat pump it's the 40c plus per unit that's killing you! Add to the fact some people want their living spaces heated to 24 degrees around the clock and that's going to be bloody expensive.

My advice would be to get a very experienced, reputable operator to build it. Pay close attention to detailing and airtightness work (I have some remedial works to carry out in one or two areas despite paying handsomely for 'professionals' to do the job).

It's a quick build so that might save a few quid, but I couldn't afford to do mine today with the way prices have gone and it cost plenty for what is a 'modest' sized house by GAA aristocrat standards.

I'd do it again, as SIPs (my original preferred method) was just too expensive, even 3 years ago.

Advertisement