Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That happened us, we switched provider (Iberdrola, who went bust), got moved automatically to Electric Ireland/BG and they put us on a smart plan. Hadn't asked them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭you2008

you only can do it on line, the sale team told me they dont do that offer over the phone, let c if they can fund this bug or not :0

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can anyone with Flogas electricity who has received a bill confirm if there's a barcode on it you can bring into a post office and use to add credit to your account? I want to move someone over from SSE and that is how they pay down their bills weekly. Before that they had a card from Electric Ireland that the post office would scan.

A page I found on Google says you can pay a Flogas bill at An Post, but that particular page was about gas and not electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

I set up an online account with them and prepay €25 a week or so online using my bank card

Done same with board gais previously to flo.

Takes the sting out of a big bill every 2 months when have 200 to 300 already paid off it 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

has anyone left energia with their account in credit ?

wondering if I'm going to have to chase them for a refund.

I'm over 1500e in credit (and yet they wanted to increase my level pay 🙄)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Ring them you will get it back the quicker you get in touch the faster you will get a refund

Probably won’t happen automatically.

I think I was €40/€50 credit when I left them a few months ago called them and was refunded within about 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Do you have a screenshot or link to where exactly you set up that prepay online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

You could also create an energy fund and top it up weekly (automatically) with the likes of Revolut.

It's a way to do your own DIY level pay, it pays interest, and you don't have to chase anyone to get your credit back when you leave.

You can pay any utility bill early online, just go to your account where it says to pay and select the amount you want to pay wether it’s €10 or €20 and do this whenever you want to get ahead of the bills as such

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

The day I get my paycheck, I put €200 into my Electricity (€125) and Gas (€75). Effectively means I've prepaid every bill. I also have a Google Form for my Electricity and Gas meter, I just type in my current reading and it gives me the expected current cost. Means I am never caught out by any bill. Towards the end of my contract, I dont top up the account and whatever is left covers the remaining bill or two. If theres money left when I switch, I just call and get it back. Feels like I get free energy for a month or two.

The Government credit meant I just put the full amount into the Gas for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I switched online last friday from Energia. Yesterday, I had 3 missed calls from them. I was on nights so phone on silent. They eventually got me at 4pm.

Querying my switch and I put it to them straight that they were not competitive. I pointed out I rang them and they only offered 10% and that was the best. They then gave me the virgin media crap about needing to talk to the retention team for best offers and he offered me 38c best rate. Im getting flogas at 29c so you are still way to dear. I told him life is to short for this messing and im not going to keep asking.

So I am gone. That was that. I'm sure they dont care, I am just a number on a screen, but if enough people tell them that, they will have to listen.

Part of the problem is not enough people bother switching, from reading this thread it appears loads of people are but it’s a small minority

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

That's true that it's a minority, even though it's been a growing minority last year when bills made the news and the government told people to switch.

Now, the flip side of this were the big 40% discounts could never exist if most people switched. These discounts are effectively loss leaders, and the suppliers balance their accounts by overcharging the non-switchers.

If you have 10% switchers and you give them 40% off, you need to overcharge 4.44% to the 90% non-switchers. It kinda works. If you have 30% switchers and you give them "only" 15% off, you need to overcharge 6.42% to the 70% non-switchers. It gets harder, for a much smaller discount. More switchers than that, and you can forget dual pricing, and we can close this thread.

That's what we saw this year, discounts drying up as more people switched. It would be fairer, though. But you can't have both fairness and great deals.

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Had the same discussion with Energia, couldn't do better than the 10% discount (think my previous deal with them was 40%).

I have since signed up for the flogas 'portal', seems pretty basic but does what it needs to it seems. They do run some 'rewards' program that you can access from the portal which seems to have some interesting offers like free flight vouchers, round of golf, beauty treatment,family fun day...

No issue with the pricing setup on day/night rate, same as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

16.85% of electricity users switched last year

and 21% more "renegotiated" their contract with supplier - CRU

Absolutely. No point having a go at the folks on the phone, they can only offer what they are allowed to offer. Just tell them straight so they can report back up the line to the people that can make decisions. Virgin media tried the same to me. Demanded 114 with 3 month discount as I got a deal last year. Best they could do.

My daughter is now 20. Signed up in her name, new customer, 64 quid. Rinse and repeat. Hit em hard and get on with things. As I said previously, life is to short for messing with dopes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I made a pretty simple google sheet that breaks out the cost based on unit price and standard charge per day. I can pop in the number of units and days the bill was for and it shows the potential savings for that period when compared across the different offers.

I'm on the Bord Gais 15% loyalty discount (38.9c) and I'll save about €85 a bill by moving to flowgas fixed rate. That's €500 euro better in my pocket! And there is no sign of prices coming down. All the rumblings are of them going up for winter.

• Advertisement

That kind of says it all. Just do it. Sadly (maybe), I dont have the patience any more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I would have been in that 21% with Energia for 3 yrs. The renewal for me was the cheapest.

Re pre paying bills,

Why should they have my money for free. And with the likes of revolut and vaults etc you can set aside the x amount per week or whatever. Then there's also no issue of getting the money back or them wanting to increase the level pay.

That being said I'm currently 370 odd in credit due to back dated FIT.

Sitting on my hands currently just out of contract with Energia, won't be importing much until the end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Hi All

My Electric Ireland discount of 26% is ending in a few weeks. I did a search on bonkers.ie and the cheapest plan for me is the 5.5% EI plan which is what I'd automatically get moved over to.

Can anyone help me with what is the cheapest electricity only plan on the market at the moment or would I be better off calling EI to try negotiate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

How can prices go up again when wholesale gas prices are back at first half 2021 prices? https://ycharts.com/indicators/europe_natural_gas_price the issue is lack of competition and the fact our suppliers took the other side of hedges sold to them by far smarter people based in New York and London when prices were sky high. They've been taken to the cleaners and we have to pay for their dozyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seems as though the government would rather provide a series of bail out payments to consumers than tackle the suppliers. Just like the poor Tom cat that got castrated they have no balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Advertisement