Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

July 2023 in Denmark had an average temperature of 15.9C, which is 1.0C below normal.

The average temp here was around 15º which is around 0.4º below normal.

The average rainfall was 140.8mm (normal is 65.8mm) so it was Denmark's wettest July in climatic history.

Lots of places had a poor July (by their standards).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The effects of this low pressure washing machine has now taken affect over much of northern and central Europe. You really have to go to the south of Europe or into Russia to get temperatures over 25C. Plenty of rain too in all the countries affected by this low pressure system which has become the dominant feature of summer 2023 through the UK and Ireland, northern France, the low countries and much of Scandinavia. This has now also made it's way across into Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Austria as well as northern parts of Spain and Italy.

I had hoped to go to the Netherlands for a few days but have cancelled that idea as the weather there has been every bit as miserable as the weather in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember I think it was Autumn of 2015, as I had just split up with someone I nearly married (yikes) and we had week after week of gorgeous weather in late September and October, which helped me get through those trouble times! Around 16c every day and no wind and really calm. Did this happen or am I imagining things? The weather I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Around us yes but the autumn would be more important for that. It's always give or take because higher SSTs = more energy for the lake effect to go haywire with lots of convection building over the sea but on the other hand, if the sufficient airmass is not there (which the latter is becoming more likely) this will just be cold rain away from elevated areas. We've seen this time and time again in effect many times in recent years it seems thinking back to November 2018, January 2021 etc.

I'm more concerned about the SSTs around Newfoundland and the impending strong El Niño than the SSTs around us. Ideally we would like much much colder SSTs around Newfoundland but that will take a lot of heavy lifting from where it is right now which is unprecedented in recorded history.

My expectations for this winter as a result are the lowest they've ever been, granted we're only in August. At least the disappointment is unlikely to feel as big with such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Nice enough afternoon in Llandudno in North Wales, quite breezy but better than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Warnings have been issued for Saturday

Also a wind warning for Cork and kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I got the grass cut around 4pm thank god. There were a few drops as I was mowing, but it passed over. A heavy downpour now, so I'm very glad I didn't wait! It brightened up for a while around 5 but it's back to dull, and a strong breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm waiting till tomorrow to cut the grass, the lawn is still soaking today after so much rain up to yesterday, the grass might be in better condition tomorrow if it stays mostly dry tomorrow before the next deluge hits on Friday night and into Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

And this is one of the better days

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

And it rains again in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I don't think you're imagining it. I also have good memories of autumn weather after the very bad summers of the late noughties and throughout the teenies. I especially remember September /October weather, because as a teacher, that is our first term of the school year. While many bemoan the Indian summers of being a case of too little too late, I, personally, love them. They help us all [teachers and kids] ease into the school year, shorten the winter and help to make up for bad summers. We got some amazing autumns after those really bad summers and I have the fingers very tightly crossed for this year.

Post edited by acequion on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Just like in winter where the mild muck from the west spreads into Central Europe confining the cold to eastern Scandinavia and Russia 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Not far off single digits at 10pm.... Mount Dillon a cool 10 degrees currently.

The chilly nights always become much more noticeable in August, especially as the month progresses if there is no warm air to tap into combined with the nights getting longer. GFS has some fairly chilly nights next weekend and into the following week getting down to 7 and 8C across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not just the nights, the evening heat that you can get in June and July is usually gone by Mid August onwards. That said I have a feeling though when the weather does eventually settle down properly we could end up with warm temperatures for the time of year. It would not surprise me at all if we end up with a warmer than average September for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The clouds seem to be covered in this blue stuff this morning, very strange. Chilly enough for August though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very sunny morning here in the far North. Let's hope it lasts for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It has been a lovely dry and bright morning in Dublin, with blue skies. Quite cool though. Grass is soaking wet still this morning.

A very autumnal morning in Tralee. Pleasant, but more suited to late September than early August.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

A rare morning where I can see a blue sky and use flight radar for the first time in weeks. Clouded over now. Luckily the heavy rain looks to be coming tonight so tomorrow shouldn't be so bad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Cool is right, I put on the summer dress today, stepped outside said a few bleep words and it was back in for a coat to go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Feeling pleasant in Dublin when the sun is out but when it goes in and the strong breeze….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hoping the rain holds off long enough to cut the grass, cordless mower was struggling with the wet grass last weekend and looks like from this evening on is going to be re-run.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Clouded over here now on NCD, hope the rain stays away until evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

I don't tolerate heatwaves very well but I tolerated the spell of good weather at the end of may and into June. It was bearable and it wasn't too bad.

From the middle of June onwards the weather has been - cloudy, showers, rain, cold, more rain.

The f*ck all sun and heat has got to be bad for crops and growth. All we had was just a few weeks of good weather. This spell of wet and cold weather is just too prolonged now with no real breaks in the weather to give us a few days of dry and warm weather.

Any ideas as to how the winter is going to be? Without the summer heating up, will it be colder than usual?

Well the rain is back, at least I got two loads of washing dried and husband got the grass cut just before it came.

My flowers look woeful in the garden, more like what they would look like at end Sept, not enough sun or heat and too much rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Definitely a chill this evening in Cork, a miserable 12 degrees. Autumnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

13c here in carrick on shannon at the moment, I've felt so cold today actually felt like October, that rain is quite heavy as well ,I see southern parts of England and Wales is in an Amber warning ⚠️ for unusually strong winds up to 70mph which is rather insane for summer hence the warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Arrived in Faro last night. Just glorious and just 2 hours away from that misery.

• Advertisement

Enjoy KSE and be assured that it really is misery. All over the island by all accounts and pretty much as bad as it gets. So sip something cool and have a chuckle at what you've escaped. 😎🍸️ I'm heading southward myself on Tuesday until the last week of August and that's keeping me sane 😁

Advertisement