Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm ok with it. Its a very specific style from a very specific era. As long as the game play is good then what matters. They have the same background artist as the old CDI games but those backgrounds were well painted and if it plays like the remake games but with even more refinements as it doesn't have to stick closely to the original games.

I'll take those cutscenes over piss filter any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think leaning into the cringe may actually work well if the gameplay is fun. When you compare cutscenes of these games in among gameplay vs say Metal gear solid 2, I think something wacky may actually be welcome as a change of pace. If it doesn't try to only replicate the art style but also the hilarious voice acting and bizarre effects, it'll be something memorable at least.

I saw this game at a Games Done Quick marathon recently and while the game never really appealed to me to play, it was definitely, as above, memorable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll keep saying it, the first two Zelda CDI games aren't that bad. A bit janky but there's good ideas there and due to how horrible the hardware is they are two of the most technically accomplished games on the system. If they were on a proper system and polished they would be better. A lot of the hate comes from them not working properly until a few months ago on emulators or having the recent remakes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tesco to end physical games sales. While I've been full digital since the last years of the 360 era, I'm disappointed for others that still go for the disk. Between Gamestop, this and the new rumoured PS5 disk drive attachment (which is meant to herald the end of the Disk Drive PS5 as well), it really looks like this is the last gen with physical releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I can't remember the last time I visited a Tesco shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

They always had a poor selection and high enough prices in any of the Tescos I’ve seen games in so I’m not surprised. Hopefully they’ll still stock consoles though , they’re a good option around launch when everyone else is focused on Smyths/Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Would never think of going to them for games but I did successfully raid their bargain bins when they started phasing out games in a few of the tescos. Got something like 15 games for 50 quid in Tesco Dundrum when they got rid of their games. great times!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Borderlands Movie releasing August 2024. No trailers or even images/posters or anything yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Set expectations very, very low for that film - not just because it's Borderlands (:P), but because reports seem to suggest it's in post-production hell with far too many writers involved (and Craig Mazin has apparently opted to go by a pseudonym): https://kotaku.com/borderlands-movie-hbo-last-of-us-craig-mazin-crombie-1850623951

Mazin responded to those reports to say he's not credited as a writer and isn't using the pseudonym in question (which admittedly, is probably what a person using a psuedonym would say, but the fact he responded so quickly, you'd imagine he's telling the truth).

"I am not a credited writer on the film, so I cannot claim any kind of authorship of 'Borderlands,' much less 'co-writing,'" Mazin said in a statement to Variety.

"I did see the report about the pseudonym, which is false. I did not use a pseudonym. If the name in question is indeed a pseudonym, all I can say is… it's not mine."

Maybe they're using the pseudonym as a cover-all for all the other writers who have been involved. But yeah, expectations were never high to begin with. And not only issues with writers, but Tim Miller was brought in to direct reshoots because Eli Roth was too busy, which is never a great sign when stuff like that starts happening.

• Advertisement

I'm sure all the internet memes it repurposes will be out of date by then considering when it was meant to release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Huh, hadn't seen that - although not surprising it wasn't accurate since the less-than-reliable 'World of Reel' originally reported the pseudonym stuff! Had imagined it was at least somewhat accurate in this case given there's definitely a pseudonymous writer - or at very least someone totally unknown - credited by WGA, IMDB etc...

Just adds to the mysteriousness if anything. All seems like an absolute mess.

Tengo Project released a video of the music to tease their next game. It wasn't very subtle and it's very obvious that their next game will be based on the incredible NES classic Shadow of the Ninja. These guys are responsible for the excellent updates of Natsume classics that include Wild Guns, Ninja Warriors and Pocky and Rocky.

Also it looks like Ninja Warriors Again will finally make its way to PC in the next few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Correction: a mess, that inexplicably stars Cate Blanchett.

She has worked with Eli Roth before, which is the only thing that immediately jumps out.

Either that or someone called in a hell of a favour / IOU. Wouldn't begrudge anyone a high-paying gig from time to time, mind you.

In fairness she played Hela in Thor Ragnarok and was excellent, and wasn't a role typically in her wheelhouse. She may have just been sold on the comedic premise and starring role and the fact it's a pretty well-received franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or it's one of those "I did a movie my (gran)kids could see" kinda deals?

As Penn says she has done Blockbusters before and is officially part of the MCU - just Borderlands strikes a very specific, very particular, choice.

She has been in no shortage of blockbusters over the years, no doubt, but often in more character actor / supporting / ensemble roles - leaving her lead roles to the more prestigious fare. While this is apparently an ensemble film too, by most accounts she seems to be the lead, which certainly stands out a bit in her filmography.

We can but speculate about her motivations - that she's worked with Roth before makes it a little less surprising in my view, but still stands out both in her own career and more generally in such an esteemed actor as the lead actor in a b-tier video game adaptation. But, as said, plenty of valid reasons why she'd take a gig like this - from financial to personal.

Still don't hold out much hope for the film, of course, as Borderlands writing & humour is pretty insufferable even in the best of circumstances.

Truck Driver: The American Dream is coming to PS5 on the 26th of September.

Truckin' great.

• Advertisement

Given they couldn’t make a stable PC or next-gen version, this port should be… interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Should go well with the unstable Xbox One and PS4 versions of Fallen Order.

Star wars Jedi: shader compilation stutter.

The greatest shooter ever is coming to steams, Radiant Silvergun, on 8th August. You can wishlist it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It is going to be another Shadow of Mordor situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

As I said I don't know how this is going to work on PS4 and Xone considering Fallen Order wasn't exactly stable on them, especially the base models of both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

On the plus side, at least if you play the PS4 version on PS5 you might actually get a stable framerate

New Fatal Fury game being teased. Looks like a follow up to Mark of the Wolves.

Red Dead Redemption is coming to the Nintendo Switch and PS4 on the 17th of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Suppose it makes sense not to bother making a native PS5 version, what would you really gain over running the PS4 version on a PS5 with whatever pro modes they've got.

Advertisement