Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Possible" team per Cian Tracey. Don't love the idea of Doris at 7 but let's see how it goes (if accurate). Might also confirm that Baird is looked at as a 6 who can cover lock, rather than vice versa.

JOB

Earls Henshaw McCloskey Stockdale

Crowley Casey

Kilcoyne Herring TOT

Henderson McCarthy

Baird Conan Doris .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Seems to be the general consensus that Crowley and Casey will be paired together. Good selection.

And good to see Crowley & SMcC get time together. I'm out on Stockdale. Same for Earls (but he's definitely going to WC).

Makes allot sense that JOB plays at least 1 of these games at FB. Prob needs another start there.

IT have Tadgh Furlong & Tadgh Beirne in the mix

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't love Doris at 7 either, but there is a decent chance that is in fact the plan if anything happens to Jvdf

• Administrators Posts: 53,814 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This moving Doris around thing really blows my mind.

He is the best 8 we have by some distance. Just pick him at 8 ffs.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

italy team

• Advertisement

mixture of first teamers and next reserves.

interesting to see Odogwu and lamb starting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I thought Montanna Ioane left Italy and moved back to Aus?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He did but he's still available to play

hes joined Lyon for the coming season, so hes back in europe at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

They will get Earls to 100 caps. Probably will captain the squad v Samoa and sail off into the sun set.

Not sure he makes the final 33 man squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I woudl expect this is the case, test him now to see if he can cover in WC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Makes allot sense that JOB plays at least 1 of these games at FB. Prob needs another start there.

I'd also like to see Hansen get a start at 15, seen as he will be covering 15 in the first 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Doris at 7 isn't such a bad thing to test out. The French and the South Africans use big men across the back row.

We need options to be able to adapt to different challenges (injury/opposition/weather/strategy).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

O'Connell mentioned that a lot of the preparation nowadays is how to show the opposition one picture and then change it.

Both in attack and defence.

The ability to be able to come up with something they don't expect would surely add to that aspect.

The major lesson from last RWC after all was to not be predictable.

Here's the team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I like the look of Hendo and McCarthy in the 2nd row, hoping they can show up strongly in the carrying game.

Not much pace in the backs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's looks like the second choice player available in almost every position

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frawley covering 10 as well. Would like to see Blade go well

This will be a real test , based on both teams named, Italy have a very good chance in this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

3rd choice front row and scrum half and arguably out half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

Very good chance of coming within the handicap you mean?

I'm not sure what the odds are ,but I do think Italy could beat this Irish team, what is the handicap BTW?

Its 24 points and Italy could beat this Irish team, just like I could be the Irish president.

Is this the typical "this game will be closer than people think" line we were hearing throughout the 6N every time Ireland played a match...just before the game ended up being just as one sided as predicted.

ireland -24 points

i think italy will come within that, but these games are nothing games. ireland wont be showing their full deck of tricks and players will be minding themselves.

Was the sperad before the teams were selected? Ah look don't mind me , I'm always a nervous wreck at games ,If Ireland are winning by 30 with 5 mins to go I still get nervous. I'm a pessimistic fan. Drives me mad

Weather Ireland come within this handicap or not will depend on how much they really want to make a statement. It must be remembered during the 6N.

Italy's largest losing margin was 17 points and their average losing margin was 12 points. Irelands average winning margin was 16 points so when you look at it like that and the fact its a warm up game the Italy plus might be the way to go.

It does have to be said though that the way Ireland play if it clicks can be almost undefendable at times and Italy arent known for being consistent so are the kind of side that could give Ireland a scare or get beat down by 30-40 points and it might not be a whole lot in it between the 2 outcomes. My honest gut feeling is Ireland will win by 15-20 points without really showing much of their hand.

It was -24 points yesterday anyway. Despite being a bit of a mix and match XV there are still alot of quality experienced players in the Irish team. My main concern is the 10 shirt in such a mix team. It also needs to be remembered if Italy want even the slimmest chance of qualifying for the QF they will need to KO NZL or France and realistically Ireland are the side they face that is of the same calibre (granted a rotated squad but still a strong outfit) so they may really go for this to give them an idea of what they will need if they want to trouble NZL or FRA at the tournament.

fair point, though they havent selected their strongest team and their only other warm up games are japan and romania.

i do expect a decent show from italy, and their 9-15 are decent enough to cause any team trouble. its whether they get a platform to play from their forwards is what will determine how well they do on the scoreboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 easymoneysnipa

Farrell really loves having a centre on the bench.

Great to see a first start for McCarthy, he should be fresh after having his minutes managed so effectively by the irfu blazers during the final week of the provincial season.

Advertisement