Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wrong.

Columbia is in the Americas.

What you mean is telling a Columbian that they live in the US.

They don’t of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Same old same old!

george best gets wheeled out every time for a statement he made. It also gets sectarianised by people like you ie George was a prod so he must be a unionist for the rest of his life.

I could point to the hundreds of Catholics who choose to play for ni and claim that shows most Catholics want an ni team. I’m not that stupid.

I can’t imagine a unionist, P or C, who would want a Ui team. Of course there is the odd prod who wants a Ui team. I actually know one personally but he certainly is not a unionist.

This is what you posted originally:

Local Gaelic football clubs were unable to help because of no floodlighting. As time began to run out, she had a final, apparently futile, idea on Monday. "David Jeffrey's name came into my head," she recalled. "I don't know anything about soccer, but I'm mad about all sports and read about Linfield always seeming to win.

"My personal feeling was that it would be as hard to get Casement Park (Antrim GAA's ground) as Windsor Park so I got hold of David's number, phoned and asked him.

"He listened to me and by the time I was finished he was laughing and said 'No problem, let me make a few arrangements'.

"Religion didn't come into it for a minute, this is what sports people do for each other," she said.

Jeffrey, a legendary Linfield player who has gone on to become one of Irish soccer's most charismatic managers, was modest about his role.

He said: "It's a very small way of showing respect and love and concern and helping your friends.

"It was a massive, massive privilege for someone like Mel to come on the phone, she is an absolute lady."

His offer has won the club at least one new fan, as Ms Smith plans to follow their fortunes. She pledged: "I have already made up my mind to go and watch Linfield play."

This is what you left out.

A CAMOGIE team has trained for a crucial match at the home of Northern Ireland's most identifiably Protestant soccer club.

For years Windsor Park in Belfast has been a no-go area for Catholics driven out by sectarian chanting from the terraces.

But the barriers crumbled under sporting goodwill as Linfield FC allowed camogie players from St Mary's Teacher Training College into Northern Ireland's footballing shrine.

David Jeffrey, the Irish League champions' colourful manager, arranged for pitches to be made available after an SOS call from St Mary's coach Mel Smith.

Ms Smith (50), praised the soccer supremo for rescuing her attempts to prepare properly for this weekend's Purcell Cup semi-final. She said: "David Jeffrey is a gentleman who worked a miracle for us."

Her students normally practise on gravel pitches close to their base on the staunchly Catholic Falls Road. But with the critical tie against Queen's University looming, all efforts to find a grass surface for night time training appeared doomed to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You were unequivocally wrong and spent multiple posts denying it. I made it clear that I don't think a training session 20 years ago is comparable in any way to what we're discussing.

You were literally making stuff up, and when I initially pointed it out, you spent a few posts denying that you said it until I provided a direct quote.

I didn't infer any intent, though given that we're talking mainstream major news right now about a topic that you've been discussing for days, for a sport you claim to be a big fan of, not a barely relevant thing that happened twenty years ago...you'd think you'd check on these things before describing something as inevitable. Maybe it would've reflected better on you if it was an intentional attempt at deception...

I’ll leave it to other posters, bar your buddies, to decide who is acting with integrity.

you laughed at the idea of Gaelic sports happening at Windsor. I have you an example and you said it must be off a parody account that I hadn’t bothered to research. I gave you a quote and you implied it must be made up as I couldn’t give you the link. I gave you the link and you say that doesn’t count as Gaelic at Windsor as it now has to be a full match 😂

maybe try ‘I am pleasantly surprised Gaelic was welcomed into Windsor park’. That would have far more integrity.

…and I’ll not go through the list eg you thought it was a unionist who said a Ui can’t be called Ireland, and it was actually a republican etc etc

• Advertisement

Guys it seems this has once again descended into us trying to win points over the other, rather than learning from eachother. It’s really quite sad.

Please point out in the text of the bit of the article you posted where it is obvious it was about ‘training’?

Then you can talk about integrity.

The fact is you have been caught out again and are suddenly ‘tired of all this’ again.

Perfect example. They will say they live in the Americas or on the continent of America . They will not say they live in America.

great post francie to demonstrate how subtle the difference can be. Like living on Ireland but not in Ireland.

thanks, very helpful post.

It is the United States of America. Columbia is not in the USA it is in the Americas.

You live in Northern Ireland which is in Ireland. We ALL live on the island of IRELAND

Can it be any clearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Downcow, if I go out to the driving range to practice, I haven't played a round of golf. A closed training session 20 years ago isn't remotely comparable to what we're discussing, and certainly isn't evidence of, 'the local community' welcoming the GAA.

As for the last paragraph, what the f*ck are you talking about? I haven't engaged in a single post about anything to do with what a unified Ireland would, could or should be called in my entire posting history, let alone attributing it to a Unionist.

Why don't you quote the post where I've ever mentioned anything remotely connected to that topic? You're going to have to eat that humble pie again buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

So you dont live in Europe either then, you live on Europe??? do people not live in Britian then too, they live on Britain? Your hatred of ireland is making you do illogical somersaults to not even accept that FACT.

you live in Ireland which has the adjective and Demonym Irish....get over it.

I never said he was prod btw, I said he from a unionist background and wanted one irish football side which was fact. He is irelands most famous footballer and was from a unionist background so of course his opinion stood weight. How is that sectarianised the problem. Surly wanting two irish sides like you is sectarianising football?

I get nationalists are playing for NI, but it is what it is. That is a team that represents where they live in 2023.That is not saying that they want it that way or closed to the idea of one irish football side.

Fionn, you need to not be so angry. Firstly, the abuse and inaccuracies are comming at me thick and fast from a number of directions. I am not scrolling back to check exactly who said what. One of the republicans on here referred to unionists calling for a Ui to not be called Ireland, when it was actually a sf member making the call. Sorry for saying it was you. My mistake.

your phrase about me ‘having to eat humble pie again’, just demonstrates our differing approaches. I don’t regard saying sorry or admitting I was wrong, as eating humble pie. I like to think that I say sorry dozens of times per day. And If I had a pound for every mistake I made, I’d be a very wealthy guy.

you have tried to spin the issue over GAA at Windsor, because you don’t want to admit you were wrong. I was never comparing two issues, I was simply responding to you claiming that Windsor was this hate filled place that could never accept gaa about the place. I was simply evidencing that it is not and that they did.

Try and read what I am saying. You are agreeing with me, but you think that you are disagreeing.

I said I wouldn’t claim that just because people play for Northern Ireland that they do not want a united Ireland. I am absolutely certain many of them would prefer UI and would prefer a United football team. They don’t say it out loud for the same reason as Irish rugby players don’t mention how uncomfortable they are. We live in a contested space and these things are not simple.

If I recall, I said that you were sectarianising the George Best statement by saying that he was a unionist . Your only basis for that is that he grew up in a Protestant family in a Protestant area. It is very unlikely he was a Unionist when he made that statement. But the truth is neither of us know.

But hey, I don’t care whether your interest is in winning little battles, I will continue being honest and gaining as much learning as I can from within some of the angry and contradictory posts I am reading. There are some jems within them which are helpful.

Post edited by downcow on

I am going to address this issue that keeps coming up about Northern Ireland culture, Northern Ireland, football team, etc.

You are hanging on words in an attempt to try and trap unionists and win petty little squabbles rather than any attempt at shared learning.

You can define it as you wish, I used the terms culture and identity, but maybe another way of putting our northern Irishness is a sense of belonging - belonging to this community of almost 2,000,000 people. Recognising that we have grown our own habits, we have been through shared experiences together and we have a fair understanding of how each other ticks. Of course, there are a proportion of the 2 million people who do not want to recognise that we are a People. It would be an awful place if we all agreed on everything.

The Northern Ireland, football team, to me, is a strong representation of that identity, and growing together. We have been on a very long journey from red white and blue, and some serious sectarianism – hardly surprising in the midst of a violent sectarian conflict. And we have travelled through some difficult times e.g. the lennon affair, the sea of green initiative, the dropping of the union flag, the challenges presented by ROI officials attempting to coerce our catholic young people away (unsuccessfully), IRA bombs at games, detractors trying to undermine the good work going on, etc etc. As a ni fan, I am at incredibly proud of what we have and what we have come through. We have an increasingly diverse fan base. We continue to have a diverse set of players. Unlike our neighbours, if you turn up at a match wearing anything that represents any team other than ni, you will be challenged by other fans. If you attempted to sing anything sectarian, you would be sung down by the majority immediately. These issues no longer exist because the fan community made changes.

Northern Ireland, as a country/region is on a much slower journey, that I trust is headed in the same direction. More and more people from diverse backgrounds are growing a sense of belonging to Northern Ireland. It is an unfortunate reality that the people whose aspiration is most endangered by this are Republicans, but it is also uncomfortable for some extreme British. As northern Irishness grows, those two groups will get noisier and more intrenched. That is unfortunate and sad but there really is little we can do to help them.

So call it culture, identity, sense of belonging, etc. It really does not matter. We have had over 100 years of living as two separate countries. The IRA campaign hardened the border and made it less likely for people to visit across it, thereby increasing the growing apart. Of course, going back many hundreds of years, the north of Ireland, and the rest of it, were quite different and had quite differing experiences – the only difference was it was not a defined line drawn on a map.

I suppose the above shows the absolute nonsense of some posters claiming that there is going to be an island united in one jurisdiction, people and community. After the centuries of experiences that have brought us here, it is an absolutely fantastical notion. Some more honesty around how fantastical would be very helpful.

One irony is that the new ‘Irish sea border’ is going to further strengthen the sense of northern Irishness - maybe I could borrow ‘ourselves alone’ - although I would be more comfortable with ‘ourselves together, with really good neighbours on both sides’ - and that will be the case even if sometime in the future we transform from a devolved Northern Ireland in a United Kingdom to a devolved Northern Ireland in a United Ireland - and even if some more sf members want the ‘Ireland’ dropped

Anything else is fantastical

Post edited by downcow on

Best of luck convincing all the people that Unionists want to be appeased with a devolved still partitioned Ireland, when a majority vote for a United Ireland.

That is the fantasical part of that post. ^

And if there was a common sense of togetherness and community between 2 million people why is it still so divided as to the direction of travel?

A majority of the community (this 'together' community) have been forced to Brexit when they didn't want to. The part of that community that has a Northern Irish identity (you say is a sign of a growing 'togetherness') would be fundamentally split and diametrically opposed on that issue alone.

P.S. Having to police what a football crowd is wearing is not the normality you think it is!

Firstly, the abuse and inaccuracies are comming at me thick and fast from a number of directions.

You are not being abused. You cannot expect to come on a forum and get caught out repeatedly being dis-ingenuous and for posting falsehoods and 'selective' parts of media and not be challenged on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As I said, the 1980s narrative.

The only reason Stormont collapsed was because of the rules that allow it to be collapsed. If you haven't been following my posts, you won't be aware that I have called for big changes in the governing arrangements for NI.

The only reason Stormont collapsed was because of the rules that allow it to be collapsed. If you haven't been following my posts, you won't be aware that I have called for big changes in the governing arrangements for NI.

We have all called for big changes.

What you wish to do is patch up that which has failed in favour of Unionist and partitionist needs so that NI can be ignored for for another few decades.

We have had enough of that kind of 'thinking'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Who is "we"? The majority want to remain part of the UK so what do you suggest is done when a UI isn't desired?

• Advertisement

Togetherness does not mean everyone agreeing on everything. That’s North Korea you are thinking off

Well it is failed right at this moment. So the narrative holds through today too.

There is a big problem regarding change. It will need cross party consent for change but the DUP will never give up their veto to stop progess which the GFA allows.

They live for vetos infact NI was basically founded by a unionist veto and now this is imbred into the staunch unionist way of thinking. Just stamp our foot and we will get what we want. Look how delusional they are regarding the WF. Everyone else is in agreement but they think thier minority voice in a jurisdiction that makes up less than 3% of the UK population should outweigh everyone elses. First thing after the WF was announced they were complaining about how the veto in the WF was not really a veto as london could over ride it. They homed straight in on the veto in how they can stop future progress. They will never give up thier veto in the GFA so it will never be changed. The failed jurisdiction with stormont collapsing will continue.

Btw my basis on him being unionist was that he came from a unionist part of belfast. Are you saying anyone who calls for one irish football team is not a unionist? I think we know George Best was a unionist but now you're dumbing him because he called for one irish football team a few times. Not suprising tho. He never got to play in a world cup despite being one of the worlds best excuse the pun. His career ran concurrent with Jonny Giles another irish great who played for the ROI. Perhaps this was his reasoning. Two of Ireland's best both missing out on world cups because Ireland is split into two shite sides.

I dont agree any of the rugby players have a problem with the irish set up. I think they would be man enough to speak out if they did like George Best was. I think this is a narrative you want to believe because you want Ireland rugby side split into us v themuns as you're have bigotry towards Ireland..... i am not irish, I dont live in Ireland i live on it etc.... kind says all about your bigotry towards Ireland. But rugby is followed in Ireland by the well to do who are not sectarian.

There are more than one veto in play. Just look at all the good republicans on here who want to veto any thoughts of federalism, con-federalism, or any other possible solution. Neither side in the North is open to constructive and new ideas, both are caught up in the ideas of the past.

Your socio-economic bias is exposed again. It’s pretty blatant ie the well-to-do are not sectarian. It’s pretty disgusting to be honest. In relative terms I would regard myself as well-to-do and I have been on a 30 year journey to rid myself of sectarianism, and the journey has not yet finished.

as for Best. I guess he would have played for England if he had been allowed. That doesn’t make it right. Ni got to the World Cup while he was still playing and he tried to sort himself out and break back into the team for that purpose, but he couldn’t make it.

I think it is fact although I get it is not a PC thing to say. Peace walls in Belfast are seperating council estates. Well to do roads in belfast have a unionist nationlist mix. Which implies to me sectarianism is a working class problem. I am not saying all people from council estates are sectarian. But most sectarian problems happen in working class areas. Generally another fact is rugby is more a well to do sport. Certainly it is here in dublin with nearly all private schools playing rugby.

Reality is, it is not remotely 'together'.

The failed statlet is paralysed by Unionist political suicide and fearfulness.

Nobody wants to veto it blanch.

Somebody or some party of substance asking for it (not to be confused with waffling about it) would be nice. But none exists.

A disguised veto then.

Academic papers and think-tank discussions aren't enough for you, so you have to present your veto in other ways.

• Advertisement

No veto blanch. If a majority want that option I will have no issue.

I am not looking for ways to winkle out of majority agreements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement