Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about SIro and OpenEIr networks.

Options
  • 24-07-2023 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

So I moved to the OpenEir network from Virgin over a year ago and so far its very good (was on Pure for the first year and moved to Sky last December). Anyway Siro is currently being rolled out in my area so have a few questions.

How does it stack up to the OpenEir network?

If I ever wanted to change to Siro could they use my existing ONT and fiber line coming into the house?

As I said so far I'm happy to be one the OpenEir network but just curious about what would be involved if I did change.

At the end of the day having the choice between both networks can only be a good thing.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Two completely different wholesale networks, its a new fibre and ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭peter_h1979

Yeah thought as much just curious anyway as I said so far OpenEir has been working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

There are really only 3 big Wholesale providers of FTTH in Ireland: Eir, Siro, and NBI. They are all independent of each other and all will have their own fibre hardware vendors, such as Huawei and Nokia.

If you order FTTH from a different wholesaler (via retailer) than the one you currently have, I would expect you to get a new fibre connection to your home and a new ONT on your wall. They wouldn’t touch the other one, as its not part of their PON network.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

If you don't mind having both sockets (ONTs) in your home then have both. I don't see why not.

I personally find OpenEir FTTH as true gigabit fibre. No coax cables, no electricity cables so I would go with them. But in the end it's whoever gives you the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

SIRO is as much pure fibre as OpenEir is. They don’t run the service over the electricity cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

Now that you mention it is, my bad. For some reason I thought they use sort of powerline based method since they work with ESB.

Nevermind then, both SIRO and OpenEir are great fibre options then on the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭micks_address

Question on Siro - apologies not meaing to hijack the thread - will it work in the event of a powercut in the area if you have your own backup power supply?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It should do most of the time, as long as you have both the ONT and modem/router on your battery backup.

Of course it is possible that a major multi day power outage that impacts a large area might take out your local OLT location (what Eir would call an exchange), however they tend to have backups of their own, so likely to run through shorter outages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

You sure about that?? Seems hard to believe that you could end up with three different fibres/ONT's on your wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Yep, you could end up with OpenEir and SIRO ONTs anyway. NBI won’t install where another provider is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Remodelling a house at the moment and just had both SIRO and OpenEir FTTH installed. Not sure if it's daft or not but at least have both there now if in future one has better offers or service over the other.

Advertisement