Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Said as a drunken retort to Bill Fuller after repeated taunts during the course of an evening in the pub and afterwards at home.

Are we to believe that Ian Bailey believed Bill Fuller was the murderer and was accusing him or is it more likely a sarcastic retort along the lines of 'It was aliens what done it'.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

When you're explaining you're losing, Bailey and his defenders are explaining an awful lot. It's a realistic outline of what may have happened. And Bill Fuller believed it was a confession. Why believe Bailey over him? Why believe Bailey over every testimony against him in case?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...Bailey and his defenders...

If I'm not mistaken, you've used this term a few times on here.

I don't think anyone is defending Bailey here. It is more that people do not believe that Bailey somehow became a key suspect in the eyes of AGS through a seriously flawed investigation whilst some obvious potential suspects were effectively ignored by AGS at the time. That some of the evidence presented by AGS contains serioius discrepancies shows that anyone put forwards by them as a primary suspect must be placed under serious scrutiny - why wouldn't it? To date, there are so many loose ends in terms of the investigation that to claim that Bailey did it, is naive.

The Garda notes missing pages about how Bailey became a formal suspect. Gardai allegedly tampering with evidence. Gardai missing key evidence at the time. Gardai losing evidence. Even basic stuff such as not containing the crime scene at the time when we all were able to see this being done on TV at the time.

To suggest people here simply want to defend Bailey is being rather disingenuous.

As you said, when you're explaining, you're losing. 😉

But the Garda investigation being flawed is completely irrelevant to the stuff that makes Bailey a suspect. And to try and dismiss those suspicious elements and behaviours, some are calling the witnesses to those liars, saying they are wrong or mistaken, even going as far as trying to blacken their characters. That is defending Bailey. Pure and simple.

• Advertisement

You just quoted a summation of one of Bailey's confessions. So yes, when you're explaining, you're losing. 😀

Also, if you don't mind answering. Why do you believe Bailey over every testimony against him in this case?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But the Garda investigation being flawed is completely irrelevant to the stuff that makes Bailey a suspect. 

Just read that to yourself a few times (bearing in mind that the garda investigation wasn't just flawed but in some parts is tainted)!

People accuse me of repeating myself but sometimes there's just no choice. The Garda investigation is completely irrelevant to Bailey beating Jules to a pulp, he wasn't forced to change his story about the night in question, the guards didn't give him the suspicious injuries, the investigation team didn't make him burn clothes and shoes soon after the murder, they didn't make him confess to doing it to multiple people etc.

He's the main suspect in many people's minds because of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I honestly couldn't care less about Bailey. If he actually did it and would be either rotting in a jail somewhere for the rest of his life or even been sentenced to death ( I am aware that this won't happen here ) I would see justice served.

What bothers me is that some users here still see Bailey as guilty and highly suspicious, even though there isn't a shred of evidence.

We can't prove he was ever at the scene of the crime, handled the murder weapon, killed her, covered up the murder or had any motive to do so.

The only thing we know and can prove is that he had no aliby for the night, he was burning something behind the studio and we have knowledge that he was used to taking hikes at night and had a history of violence towards his partners.

What we can also prove is that he clearly volunteered his own DNA sample and we can also prove that the police was highly corrupt in the investigation to frame Bailey.

In the absence of real evidence, we can only examine possible motives.

However just "knowing somebody", or "burning something behind a house", "taking hikes at night" or "loitering in dark alleys" and "watching how another woman as she enters a shop", "wearing a dark coat" or "buying a bottle of French wine" will never ever prove murder.

Yes he could have, but the word is "could" not proven that he did.

The same goes for all the others. They "could have", - the husband wanting to avoid a costly divorce, a small time drug dealer or dealers wanting to avoid anything from jail to whatever else. They all could have....

We have nothing on anybody.

Only corrupt Gards, that is what we do have and that with certainty. Why did they never face a court date? The Bandon garda tapes should be strong evidence. Losing evidence, same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I would give her the benefit of the doubt that she would not try to implicate Bailey purely in a malicious or spiteful manner simply because he is the main suspect in the case or the only suspect, I should say. Nor would the Bouniol family. Their opinions are formed by the evidence before them and their knowledge of the case.

I acknowledge that may have been the case back then although there was a local dump people could drive to with their rubbish. That's where Shirley Foster was going when she discovered Sophie's body.

I think she may just have been dismissive of him and his bloody awful poetry and saw him as a charlatan, as most did. He saw her as somebody far more interesting, intelligent and more desirable company than the locals down the pub and far more attractive than plain old Jules sat at home. So, he wanted to ingratiate himself with her and wanted her to find him attractive and interesting, not necessarily in a sexual sense. Sex may not have been a motivating factor in his mind at all.

So whatever interaction or conversation between them would have been brief and unsatisfying from his point of view. She rebuffs him, politely at first, but then with increasing anger as he persists in trying to woo her. Being the egomaniac that he is this is simply too much for him to bear. The final explosion of violence is the inevitable outcome.

• Advertisement

A more intelligent and desireable company is a very odd motive for murder. And picking the middle of the night or an early morning and that in a drunken stage would not have helped the matter.

Thus such a motive is more than weak, if one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is the definition of malpractice. In fact 'serious errors' would be covered in the scope of the below so I don't see how you can reasonably object to its use here? You seem to have had a different definition of it in mind, synonymous with corruption but that does not correlate with the below:

1. a dereliction of professional duty or a failure to exercise an ordinary degree of professional skill or learning by one (such as a physician) rendering professional services which results in injury, loss, or damage.

2. : an injurious, negligent, or improper practice : malfeasance.

If the mistakes made were such that they significantly impacted the chances of catching the culprit, then I think that would legitimately fall under that description.

And actually the findings in the GSOC report would go beyond 'mistakes' and into malfeasance / wrongdoing..

The report found that pages from the Jobs Book had been deliberately removed. That is not an error, or incompetence or a mistake. That is malfeasance.

On the Bandon Tapes, Guards are recorded discussing putting pressure on another Guard to alter a witness statement. That is not an error, or incompetence or a mistake. That is malfeasance.

And that is only what was established. GSOC had very limited investigative powers especially in a case like this after so much elapsed time where many of the Guards were retired.

Losing track of pieces of evidence would fall under malpractice.

There is also the misconduct with Marie Farrell.

I think given all that, I think you give insufficient consideration to the possibility that the evidence points that way because that was the way the investigation was pointed. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'fit up' of someone known to be innocent, but a groupthink approach which leads to tunnel vision and confirmation bias in evidence gathering and assessment.

Miscarriages of justice happen all the time, sometimes yes straight up corruption and framing of an innocent man. Sometimes because perspective goes out the window and someone deemed to be the perp is pursued at all costs, playing fast and loose with procedures. Procedures that are there to protect the innocent and prevent miscarriages of justice.

With all the effort AGS put into trying to 'get' Bailey for this murder, the evidence is very weak, indirect, circumstantial or debatable either in relevance or fact. There is nothing that directly incriminates him.

That is why the DPP made the right call in not pressing charges. And why I think the investigation focus needs to be shone elsewhere at present.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And it is such a 'realistic' and 'likely' and 'plausible' scenario no one has been able to find a case that closely parallels it.

But apparently hitmen hired to get rid of spouses, witnesses being done away with by criminals... is Hollywood stuff. Even though such things have happened in this jurisdiction and elsewhere.

Have you ever considered writing some scandi noir fiction? Without evidence that is effectively what any 'theory' about, what happened and the motive, is.

Without evidence it is difficult to put one plausible 'theory' above another, they are all no more than conjecture.

That's another good point.

To me this is evidence enough that the Gards were in on it in some way. After all, why did the Gards go all that lenght? What was their motive for doing so?

We sadly have more evidence that it may have been a Gard or a Garda interest to misuide the investigation in an different direction and towards Bailey.

One doesn't lose evidence the size of gates by accident, coerce witnesses by accident, give drugs to transients by accident, just to frame one man, and it's all on the Bandon Garda station tapes.

That wasn't even negligence, it was done by intent.

Nobody was disciplined, nobody fired, nobody faced any consequeces, no tria at alll? And this by the force which is there to serve and protect the public?

An still some are insisting it was Bailey? Incredible.

In all irony, yes. Sure, Bailey did it. Nobody elso could. The case is very clear..... Ah, yes, he wanted sex at 2 am in the morning, or maybe at 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Sadly, there are many cases where a man has murdered a woman because she rejected him. You never know how angry a rejected man is going to get.

Tiarah Poyau was a 22-year-old university student who told a man at a dance party to “get off” after he started to grind on her. His response was to shoot her in the face.

Iowa college student Mollie Tibbets was killed by a man she told to leave her alone when he approached her while she was jogging. 

A Detroit mother of three was killed because she refused to give a stranger her phone number.

A New York woman had her neck slashed when she declined her attacker’s offer for a date.

In the UK, Lewis Haines tried to force himself on Lily Sullivan and, when she resisted, murdered her to try to make sure she could not tell anyone, including his long-term partner. The pair met for the first time at a nightclub in Pembroke on the evening of 16 December 2021. In the early hours of the next morning they left the club and Haines shepherded Sullivan to an unlit, secluded alley leading to a millpond.

The judge found that the pair had kissed and cuddled but Haines had wanted to have sex. He said: “I am sure Lily decided she was going home. Fuelled as he was by drink, I am sure Mr Haines was frustrated by this. He became forceful; she resisted. I am sure that Lily did not remove her own top voluntarily. I am sure that Mr Haines took it off her before he put her in the pond.

“My firm view is that when he got forceful Lily did say that she would complain that he had tried to force himself upon her.”

The judge said Haines knew that people including his partner would be angry and he killed the teenager because he “couldn’t risk her surviving”. I believe that Sophie’s killer also murdered her because felt he couldn’t risk her surviving after the initial had confrontation escalated into violence…

These are only a few examples of what has become known as ‘rejection killings’ - it is beyond sad that a man murdering a woman because she rejected him is not that uncommon.

None of those scenarios match what happened here though. Only the final piece of the scenario matches the cases you have researched.

Which is described as someone going to the victims house. To a house where they would be known on sight by neighbours. In the small hours. And 'chancing their arm'... and then the rebuff happening.

As opposed to eg places such as nightclubs were flirting etc is expected to happen. Or in situations where the victim is vulnerable without security of their property and the attacker can rely on anonymity.

Its also unclear in how many of those cases if there was evidence of attempted sexual assault.

Such attacks are still very much the exception rather than the rule. In an earlier post I linked to statistics which show that just over three quarter of female murder victims are murdered by someone they know well - partner, family, friend or someone else they know. Approx. 12% are killed by a stranger. The statstics didn't examine the motive for the murders but only a subset of that 12% would have been for rejecting an advance.

The chance of a woman being murdered by someone she didn't know outside of a chance encounter in a public or social setting they happened to meet are a subset of a subset of that 12%.

The chances of someone - taking a two and a half hour round trip walk, drunk, in the middle of the night, to see someone they didn't know, committing the perfect murder, in a drunken rage but leaving no evidence nor them or their environment being contaminated by any scene of crime evidence, appearing perfectly normal a few hours later and not raising any suspicions from his partner and several guests staying with them over Christmas - seem so statistically unlikely as to very low down in the list of possibilities as to be scarcely worth considering, especially in the complete absence of any probative evidence.

“The chances of someone - taking a two and a half hour round trip walk, drunk, in the middle of the night, to see someone they didn't know, committing the perfect murder, in a drunken rage but leaving no evidence nor them or their environment being contaminated by any scene of crime evidence, appearing perfectly normal a few hours later and not raising any suspicions from his partner and several guests staying with them over Christmas - seem so statistically unlikely as to very low…”

That is not what happened here. It is a matter of some contention re whether Bailey and Sophie knew each other. You assert he didn’t know her - that may not be the case. Others say they did know each other. I believe that he knew her.

Bailey was known to walk about outside at night drunk - he was known for this behaviour - he had a reputation for it.

Witnesses have stated he was not “perfectly normal” the next day - he has been described as being quite the opposite by a number of people who observed him.

His behaviour and appearance did raise suspicions among a number of people who encountered him after the murder.

Suppose I would any of the "Bailey did it because he wanted sex supporters" accuse of murder just because they are physically able bodied to complete the hike, had the time, and no aliby, - but at the same time neither having any form of evidence nor witnesses and not even a solid motive. Add to this a corrupt police force where there is enough evidence to have them locked up.

Scary, isn't it?

And imagine this in front of a judge, - it'll be dismissed straight and quickly. In the British and Irish legal system at least, but apparently not in France.

Ah, yes Bailey did it, he wanted sex with a French woman and couldn't hold imself back, even a hike for more than an hour didn't hold him back, he broke out in a rage, leaving no evidence not even footprints, and hiked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What bothers me is that some users here still see Bailey as guilty and highly suspicious, even though there isn't a shred of evidence.

We know there is not enough evidence for a charge, but that doesn't mean there isn't circumstantial evidence against Bailey, the amount of which is unequalled by anyone else that might be considered a possible suspect.

The initial lies about wherehe was that night.

The scratches

The fire

The ambiguity about wherehe he knew her or not.

The violence against Jules.

The confessions, to different people at different times.

That's why people still see Bailey and highly suspicious.

There is disputed evidence Bailey knew her in the sense of very brief social introductions. There is nothing to suggest they knew each other to the extent that turning up at the cottage after midnight would be in any way expected. And remember Bailey woud be instantly known if seen at her cottage if spotted by the Lyons.

How was he acting suspiciously? He was a journalist who asked questions at the scene. A Guard thought this suspicious. Rather absurd isnt it. He then filed stories about the case so it wasnt a facade. It would have been suspicious had he not turned up and done his job I would argue. It was entirely in fitting with his role and easily innocently explainable.

If his appearance was suspicious why did he not keep a low profile with a convenient winter flu? Would have been trivial to be bed ridden for few days.

Instead he continued to socialise ... he made no attempt to conceal his appearance and attended the xmas day swim.

The evidence can read either way. Which is why it is not incriminating except when applied backwards to fit a particular narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

Wasn't there was also someone Sophie told and she mentioned Bailey's name because the person she told thought she meant a different Bailey?

I wouldn't say one couldn't build an equally plausible story about a number of other potential suspects.

There were others out and about that night, others who repeatedy lied to the Gardaí, others who inserted themselves into the investigation for whom I could construct a plausible scenario and motive, but like the case against Ian Bailey it would be based on tenuous, inconsistent assumptions.

The DPP's office has reviewed the file several times and its content comprehensively criticised.

I can understand why people want to believe they know who the murderer was. It is reassuring. It allows one to compartmentalise the murder and put it safely to one side. "Just keep clear of him and you'll be safe".

It's far more disconcerting to think we really haven't a clue who the murderer was. It could be anyone. They could still be around today. It could be someone you know. It could be someone who lives nearby. How can you feel safe when you don't know where a threat might come from?

I'd nearly be more afraid of depending on a jury. Half the population is below the median intelligence.

That's a problem in the US to a high degree, especially in the South. Imagine you have Trump supporters in a jury.

You are right, Guy Girard has provided statements to this effect.

It doesn’t seem to be in his nature to keep a low profile, except for a few occasions where he went to ground like when he tried to get out of Ireland after an assault on Jules and was arrested at Cork airport. Otherwise he has tended to put himself front and centre - including through his presence at / returning to the murder scene.

Turning up to Sophie’s house that night might well have been unexpected but that’s Bailey all over again - doing things that most rational people just wouldn’t do. He’s extremely odd - of course that in and of itself doesn’t make him a criminal (which we know he is in terms of his crimes of extreme violence / convictions for violent offences against women) let alone a murderer (which there are grounds to suspect he may be).

In terms of disguising his appearance and going to the Christmas swim - I agree he didn’t disguise his appearance in the sense that he didn’t quite go around Schull in a fake moustache and beret (!) but he did wear a dark coloured fedora to the Christmas swim where he made odd comments on camera to Florence Newman about ‘you can contact my solicitor’. Again, nothing particularly unusual in wearing a hat! But it does appear to have been covering the wound on his forehead. He may have worn that hat to cover the wound or because it was cold or for both these reasons - that needs further investigation I would imagine… But that hat did appear to cover the wound and to cover most of his forehead. The comment about putting his trust in God and contacting his solicitor seems very unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

This made me laugh Sinead O'Connor (rip)

"If he’d any issues about being interviewed while drunk he wouldn’t ply himself with alcohol before and during interviews. Anyone suggesting I shouldn’t have interviewed him while drunk needs to tell that to anyone who ever interviewed Shane McGowan,” she said.

“FYI for anyone thinking of being interviewed. If you don’t want to be interviewed while drunk don’t arrange interviews and then make a conscious decision to get drunk before and during them. Especially if you like to think you’re as ‘media savvy’ as the turkey man [Bailey] does.”

The Turkey Man 😁

Advertisement