Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the banks robbing savers?

Options
124»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 25 harry_ireland

In addition to all the comments in this topic, the earningsreports of AIB and BOI tell you all you need to know. Recordprofits across the board.

So yeah, banks in Ireland are robbing savers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Not so. If you save your money under the mattress, you are not investing but you are being robbed by inflation of the money supply.

To retrieve the 200 billion euro the government borrowed and spent, it is necessary to tax what this money was used to inflate. That would be property. Property owners have these inflated assets, so they are the people who must be made to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why would there be a link between credit card rates and deposit rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

But most people don't get to cash in those inflated assets... Are you talking about taxing the profits on inflation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You cant take your cash out of an atm without paying for the privilege…

I predict the time when in person lodgements and withdrawals will be subject to charges….

They already are. It varies from bank to bank of course.

The link is that the bank is a serviceprovider that charges interest on creditcard debt. That same serviceprovider holds deposits and offers an interest on those deposits. Which used to be somewhat fair and balanced.

But ever since the great financial swindle, zero- and negative interestrate bullsh*t policies, there's nothing even remotely resembling a balance.

And, as I posted earlier, looking at the recent earningsreports of two large Irish banks, it seems I'm correct. Banks are robbings savers to increase their profits.

That's stating the obvious. Propertytaxes are already in place. I think this discussion needs to be focused on whether banks are robbing savers, which they are.

Discussing how governments have created the current chaotic insanity is a whole other kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

If you are saving 50% or more, of your monthly income,

then normal investment returns are sort of irrelevant.

The only way you will be able to retire early is by having a high savings rate.

I was saving 100% of monthly salary for 5 years, then I walked out of my job.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Saving money serves a purpose, whatever that purpose is. But it's not working anymore.

What this current fraudelent system is lacking is that risktakers are rewarded and the prudent and risk-averse are punished.

Just look at the recent downgrade of the US rating, it shows you that running mindblowing deficits and out of control spending beyond means barely has consequences. Yes it's a downgrade and yes, it has consequences. But those consequences are just passed on to taxpayers, savers and pensioners and doesn't seem to deter a small group of people to just continue racking up debt.

It's hard to find an actual number but just to serve the interest on the debt will be a trillion dollar a year soon enough. That amount is already staggering and still increasing by the day since they have to roll over the cheap debt which was possible due to financial repression and the creation of new money by artificially lowering the price of money. I read that it's up by 25% already for the first 6 months of the year.

The new debt that is needed, based on realistic interestrates, is proving to have serious repercussions. But do average Americans see their standard of living improve? Their infrastructure? Their pensions? I only mention the US because it's the most blatant example of fiscal irresponsibility and fraudulent policies. Sadly, Europe isn't much better.

I can completely understand the rise of the BRICS nations that are fed up with being forced to live within this fraudulent environment.

And so where arrive back on the topic of banks robbing savers. It started with fraudulent central bank policies which created phony wealth.

Never in the history of mankind did money have a negative interestrate. In other words, labour had become worthless just to blow bubbles into virtually anything. Inequality is at an alltime high. And who benefits? A tiny minority of bankers and wealthy elites.

This doesn't end well but sadly, like always, the price will be paid by the poor, the powerless and the general taxpayer.

What is more insane is having to point out that "to save" is a different verb than "to put".

On interest rates generally, there is a lot of talk about when the ECB will stop raising interest rates. Well, recently the US FED paused and hinted at only one more interest rate hike this year. As a result, the Fitch ratings agency downgraded the US dollar. That will give the ECB something to think about.

Advertisement