Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Angus springers won’t make the same money as Limo or Simmental ones.

what breed were they mainly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

1700 but I would have felt hard done by at that. Was hoping for over 1800. Am I that far out of touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’d say it’s timing, lots of farms swimming and grass getting short, lads are wondering if they’ll have to sell. Other years you’d have lots of customers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm assuming she's a brown sort of a colour being Angus out of a PT? I'm not up to date with AI codes but a calf out of the above will probably come something similar in colouring to the dam. A lot of lad's are gone against brown/black cows if selling weanlings as the resulting progeny are bad seller's. It doesn't matter so much if you're carrying through to store/slaughter.

It doesn't seem a serious price for her all the same but then by the time you calve her and winter the outfit they'll be lots of expense against them come turnout next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Plus not as many autumn calving customers out there, lots not looking an animal calving late August. She's in her money for an Angus with a month to go. As bass said she'd make as much or more as a factory animal this time of year. I was offered a lovely red limo, on her time to an unknown bull for 1500 or bit less only I was going on holidays that week and couldn't be there to calve her, you mightened have like the price, but some are making even less as a springer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's the weather. Plain and simple.

If one of these fabled Indian summers were to land in September prices will recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mr..

@Dunedin mainly limousin crossed to b blue.

Sold 4 bullocks in the mart today for a relation I help out with farming.

April 21 CHx 650kg €1700

May 21 HEx 640kg €1520

July 21 AAx 585kg €1460

October 21 AAx 540kg €1370.

The CHx was a super bullock imo and would have probably made nearer to 2k a month back but there was a few personal issues and they weren't sold until now. They would all probably have came into another bit back a month ago but it is what it is.

His herd isn't QA and the mention of more paperwork and inspections means an automatic no whenever it's brought up even though I'd help with the bookwork. The HEx bullock was fit to kill imo and someone will probably be on to tell me that he'd kill into far more but I thought it a good price tbh coming from a non QA herd. The 2 AAx weighed better than my expectations and when I was loading them this morning I thought a €1400 average would be a good price atm.

They'd have been bought as bits of weanlings in April/May 22 and were on grass only since May. Granted he'd have kept the meal to them over winter but it's a pass time for him as much as anything. The biggest silver lining is that a few replacements should be easier bought in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They probably all went for slaughter. If the HEx was QA and in the HE scheme he would have just about made 100 more

Slava Ukrainii

I'd struggle to see them killing anything only the HEx but I'm not a beef man. Would he die 330kg coming off a bit of goodish (West of the Shannon mind) grazing only in a bad summer? He was an average suckler bred HEx non QA but well covered.

The CHx would want to be another 100kg at least imo before he'd be near fit but I'm not a finisher.

• Advertisement

A processor will kill anything. Anyone carrying any of them cattle in a falling market will only have 80-100 euro out of them.

At 640 LW depending on how long he was standing in the mart and whether he was in the shed the night before. I gave him a K/O of 51% off mart weight and an O+price.

The heavier AA was only 60 euro off factory price inc AA and QA so I cannot see someone hold him. The 540kg AA made 5/kg killing at 50%. The CH made nearly 5/kg DW as well. Finished cattle are tight at present. They were decent prices for no QA cattle. In away the HE sold poorest

Slava Ukrainii

They were ran in out of the field at half 8 this morning and sold at 12 o'clock so they weren't that well emptied out. A man locally used to always say you could kill any beast but the issue was what they'd die into. You could well be right about them being slaughtered though.

It was a mixed trade imo, anything early 21 born and under 500kg was hard sold imo so perhaps it was because the heavier cattle are going direct to slaughter. All in all I thought they done well given the uncertainty atm, I was expecting a worse price for the HEx being honest.

Early 21 and under 500kgs. There’s a reason they were hard sold….

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was thinking the same myself.

And I say that with a May-2021 heifer who was only 450kg when I weighed her yesterday. It's LMx on her card and she's apparently out of a FRx cow, but there must be Dexter blood in her somewhere. Never sick, doing well, and looked the same as the rest of the calves when she was bought. But that's the nature of buying calves at the mart when more and more cows are following the State-sponsored blueprint. Some of us do have to think of the calves 😀

On the up side, the 2022 calves are doing much better. Bullocks averaged dwg of just over 1kg since 3-March and heifers were 0.85kg. No meal and no dose. I must go thru the numbers properly and come up with something of an autumn plan for them now.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Obviously yes but there was a noticeable difference between a bullock 460/470kg and anything 500kg+ at the same age. A spring born 21 bullock at let's say 520kg still isn't anything to write home about but they were streets ahead price wise of a similar 480kg one.

The bad year is starting to show on a lot of lad's stock particularly on more middling ground or where there's lots of mouth's in competition. There were plenty of cattle weighting absolutely stone nothing yesterday for there frame/size. A lot of those sub 500kg bullocks would be the guts of 50kg heavier in better weather. The thrive is gone out of cattle the last few weeks imo, the only thing thats getting big on them is there bellies. Granted the cattle I had up weighed better than my expectations but they were on a bit of good grazing and that man is only half stocked and tops the land regularly.

I had early 21 bullock’s that killed out over 500kgs last week never mind live weight.

That's serious weight for age to be fair. You'd have to keep them gaining from day one to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

Dairy Calf to Finished System - All finished on grass & nuts for approx 6 weeks

Brought 8 bullocks to the mart last Thursday

6 AAX avg 669.0 €1,590.00 Feb 21

8 SIX avg 675.0 €1,660.00 Feb 21

Brought 8 bullocks to mart 15/06/23

4 SIX avg 726.0 €2,010.00 Feb 21

4 SIX avg 663.0 €1,650.00 Feb 21

Post edited by nhg on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Green acre

Evening all,what would be people be expecting runner trade to be like this autumn.looking at wh,aa maybe a few fr,200kg plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭morphy87

Do you buy the six every year? How do you find them to shape up?

Did you give these cattle any meal last winter?

• Advertisement

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

QA assured farm. Usually rear about 80 calves a year. Our own cattle trailer so no additional transport costs to mart & can go when it suit us.

There’s 3 local farmers, all with British Friesian Herds, in which we buy all of their bull calves, 1 of these farmers had mostly SIX but he got out of cows last year. He was the one with the dearest but possibly best calves but at €280 a piece (used to be €380 each a few years ago!).

Everything reared on Shine once a day, hay/straw, grass & nuts until housed in November, off to outfarm for 2nd year grazing & finished on home farm on grass with nuts for approximately 6 to 8 weeks.

The early SIX usually end up being the best….

So hard to know if we’re better off sticking with the mart route, this is our 2nd year going the Mart route or back being at the mercy of the factory…. Our thoughts are let them fight for them at the mart if they want them, we can bring them home again if we’re not happy with the price.

Post edited by nhg on

On good grazing paddock system. 1kg of meal first winter, none second winter and 2kg for last 6 weeks on the grass.

That kill sheet is a credit to you and just goes to show what can be done with a bit of management.

The reason I asked about QA was looking at them cattle I think the AA made about 100 less than the factory. Allowing them to be O+( at those weights I would expect a few R) and at a mart weight K/O of 51%( again it could be 2-2% more depending on the mart) they made 100 less than mart price.

At a factory base of 4.65 gives a price of 4.88 by 341 kgs gives a price of 1665 euro.

The SI are harder to price as the type can vary a lot but if there were a good beef type of BF cows and allowing for 50%+ of R grade you are probably back 100/ head off them as well.

Ya a lot of last year mart prices were as good or better than factory price it really different this year

A Friesian Bullock 340 DW grading O- under 30 months is making 1540 in the factory

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

The two under 400 kgs were two heifers one of them got lame and took a long time to get her right so that held her back a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

Serious kill sheet.

What age were they when you bought? Average weight? Anverage cost?

(aplogies if that was covered or perhaps you have the sucklers yourself).

Advertisement