Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

1-year with a Tesla solar roof and Powerwall.

I think this is really cool!

Crazy high "early adopter" prices though, but in time (and if they ever do it in Ireland) it could be a real game changer!

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I didn't watch it in full but what can it do that other solar panels and batteries can't. For a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Saw that a few days ago. Sure it only cost $120k. He did some creative accounting to come up with the claimed pay back period 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

I think the steep premium you pay is to have your roof tiled with solar tiles instead of solar panels sitting on top of your roof. Externally, you couldn't tell that the house has solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭jlang

You likely get more solar wattage with the roof tiles than the best fit of the huge panels we're installing now. And it does look nicer. Probably not enough to make the Tesla roof the sensible choice for a regular budget (even if they offered them here).

MKBHD must have a big multi-angle roof and plenty of money but it's interesting to see the how the battery capacity, seasonality (aircon v heating, snow buildup etc.) and billing nuances played out together for him. And how much powerwall battery he had to install to cycle through the daily usage pattern. Using accumulated battery joules and (in future) connected charged cars to ride the house through power outages until solar picks up to recharge them the next morning is also a desirable feature.

One point he made that I hadn't really thought about is that while you have an electricity surplus, you can reduce the payback period of the investment by just using more electricity. (Just a mathematical fact, ignoring whether you want to or should do so)

• Advertisement

@jlang - indeed. That's why some of us use cryptomining as a way to use up excess electricity. The revenue will make the payback period shorter.

And MKBHD is dead right, sure he makes millions from YT alone, might as well have the best and nicest looking system money can buy. Of the $120k he spent, he got $30k back in tax relief, which is insane, obviously no upper limit to the relief

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

A group of hackers have exposed an exploit that can unlock Tesla’s software-locked features worth up to $15,000.

Free heated seats and Full Self-Driving package, anyone?

Software-locked features that need to be activated by the owner paying or subscribing to a service are becoming increasingly popular in the auto industry.

Tesla has been on board that trend very early since it produced virtually all its vehicles with the same hardware and owners can unlock features later through software updates.

This includes features like heated seats, acceleration boost, and even Tesla’s Full Self-Driving package, which costs $15,000.

https://electrek.co/2023/08/03/hackers-manage-unlock-tesla-software-locked-features/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Surely Tesla could detect that (if not already, develop a way to detect it) and knock it back to what is paid for? Or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hi folks, what sort of costs are involved in installing a tesla charger at home apart from the 500 euro cost from Tesla for the actual charing unit? Do Tesla organise the installation or do I need to do that myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

It doesn't look like it. They describe it as a low level hardware attack where the voltage glitch the processor. They can modify the secure boot of the system before the main, update-able, software is run. This means that its unpatchable.

Tesla might find a way to detect a car that has been modified, but who knows if its worth their while chasing it up. They may just kick them from their network like the games console manufacturers do and leave it at that. That wouldn't be the end of the world for the people who have hacked their tesla, as they will have full software access to their car and could probably do software updates/modifications whatever themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Tesla deliver the unit and that is where the responsibility stops. The installation needs to be looked after by yourself which will involve a reputable electrician.. Cost will vary and depend on your own unique set up. If you haven't yet bought the charger you should seriously consider another smart charger that will qualify for and SEAI grant of EUR600 (the Tesla Charger no longer qualifies for the grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thanks for the info. We have 2 outdoor plugs and a garage that has plugs also so I'm confident enough that the installation would be somewhat hassle-free for a suitable electrician.

How come the Tesla Charger doesnt qualify for the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

To qualify for grant new chargers need to be smart as in internet connected which Teslas is not. The idea is in future in case of esb network issues it might be possible to remotely switch off thousands of home car chargers for a few minutes. It might also be possible to tell them when energy is cheap or green to start charging early.

Note many installers are charging 600/900 euro for install excluding charger, and excluding 600 home charger refund.

In some cases extra things are needed in addition to the charger itself. Typically you need an isolator switch nearby, you may need load monitoring to prevent overload in the house particularly if you have an instant shower like triton or a heat pump.

If attempting to wire to a shed you may need a 40amp old or new supply to the shed, EV chargers are unusually high loads.

Expect to pay around 1400 for home charger with charger included and 600 back from grant but get a few quotes. Decide if you want tethered or untethered yourself.

SEAI have limited grants to what they call SMART Chargers. These usually have inbuilt load management built in.. The Tesla charger doesn't currently have this which may also mean that some additional kit is needed to install safely so its not just proximity to a plug that can drive costs.. Check out the SEAI wbsite (below).. Choosing a smart charger which may appear more expensive than the Tesla may end up cheaper when you factor in 600 SEAI grant and likely lower costs for installation (as load management is built in)

Don't tush this decision without doing your homework.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cdn16

I recently enquired with the SEAI regarding the TWC and the grant eligibility. They clearly mentioned it's not eligible. So, went ahead and installed the Wallbox Pulsar Max. Got it cheaper on Prime Day sale for €500 and the installation from Ecoplex for another €550.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just pulled into birdhill and 5 of the 6 superchargers are in use. I took number 6. That's the first time I've seen them all full.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In the US they use shingle roofs on top of OSB sheets which need replacing every 15years or so depending on where in the US so the solar roof is a much better long term option for them. For us it makes no sense and even if I was building a new house I would not go for it, considerable cheaper to go for regular solar panels and Marcus mentioned it a few times in that video. As Unkel says that guys is loaded off YT and has everyone throwing money at him, he was flown over to the Open last month by the R&A for a celebrity golf match, fair dues to him

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

He's very good at what he does and he was one of the first YTers when he was just a teenage boy, so indeed fair dues to him. Hope he gets even richer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

I see polestar recent update allows users to change from wltp to more real world estimated range. Short 30 second clip.

This car has 4 different range estimates (another short clip)

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

There are Teslas charging at an Ionity on the other side of the fence. The drive in rate there is 69c I think. They must have a subscription and a cheaper rate.

• Advertisement

yes... there are cheaper rates for subscriptions with Ionity (Ionity Passport) Rates in France 0.39 plus month,y subscription of EUR 11.99 per month. With subscription you can use Ionity sites across Europe and benefit from lower tarrifs.. if this is of interest you can just download the app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Pepsi talk a bit about their Semi use in a video for a freight efficiency body.

There's little hard data from Tesla, but the efficiency is within Tesla's claims of "under 2 kWh per mile." They say they're getting an average of 1.7. The body that produced the video do an annual test drive, which will include Semi next month. More data is expected from that.

Pepsi recently said their trucks do routes up to 450 miles and the trucks never charge during any of these routes (not until they get back to base)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Model S and Model X only. They are irrelevant now, their contribution to total margin in Tesla is not material.

And I say that as a Model S owner and believing as an overall package, the current iteration of the Model S is still the best EV there is (after almost 12 years)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

VW also cut the prices of the ID3 in china, not sure what, if any at all relevance it has here in Ireland.

Well in fairness if Tesla had cut the price of Model 3 and / or Model Y in China, that is a marker of things to come. Competition is murderous over there. Same will happen here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Lola_86

Hi,

I have decided to buy at MY SR. There is no urgency on it but would like to order in the next month or two.

Just wondering what the discount for doing a test drive is? I see bits about it but nothing concerete! Is it that if you do a test drive and then order from the inventory you get money off? If so how much?

Also conscidering waiting for the "fire inventory" sale that seems to be every quarter. Am I right in thinking there will be a reduction possibly mid Sept?

Any help appreciated!

Advertisement