Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You continue on putting words in my mouth.

You don't know many police 😉

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Moderate/major criminal offence or a history of multiple minor offences? Not allowed in long-term.

Commit the above? Get kicked out of the country.

I think it's very very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You have your opinion suvi has hers. Why do you think itis dependent on her profession?

Why are you and others who have absolutely nothing new to contribute attacking a poster personally over the last two pages?

Have you nothing to say for yourselves that would stand up to criticism that isn't a low attack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I didn't say anything about her profession so maybe read the posts properly.

It's ironic you accusing someone of attacking a poster in the same post where you attack a poster.

Well attacking other posters to be exact.

I am attacking the posts and not the poster which is in the charter.

If someone is going to post ridiculous stories then they should be expected to called out on them.

The poster doesn't need you to jump in on there behalf like you have a habit of doing.

If you want to respond to a post feel free to do so in a friendly manner.

Otherwise please refrain from quoting my posts with nothing to do with what you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

There was no reason for anything to be said because you are attacking people for no reason.

To save the thread from a pointless forward and back.

You quote the post where I attacked her for a being a guard and I will apologise if I did.

If you can't find that then issue an apology to me.

Seems like a fair compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

As we all know there have been protests in east wall and ballybrack and likely will be future protests down the line .

This video was posted up on youtube last night.

Listening to the woman one of her grievances expressed in her own words is " no documentation " now why would she think that ? well newstalk did a story earlier this year that over 5.00 migrants last year had false travel documents or no travel documents at all story is in the link.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/more-than-5000-asylum-seekers-arriving-last-year-had-no-valid-travel-documents-1433756

It is a known established fact that if you travel be it going on holidays or going to Australia that you must provide a valid passport on entry.

Some of us may have travelled to Australia or have friends or relatives who have travelled to Australia.

Here are the requirements

" All arriving and departing passengers must have a valid passport or travel document. "

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/crossing-the-border/at-the-border

And further requirements

" Passengers arriving in Australia are required under Australian law to identify themselves and provide certain information through the completion of a passenger card. "

" Passenger cards also serve as:

• a declaration in relation to health and character requirements for non-Australian citizens " .

" character requirements " in other words the person is vetted .

The fact that so many travelled here last year without valid travel documents is a grievance a lot of the protesters hold; so what can do done to address such grievances ?

1 - a straight up policy of no passport no entry to be enforced; most peopple would not expect to travel into another country without a valid passports or valid document the same should apply to people who want to travel here.

2 - east wall and ballybrack where the protests are ongoing the local tds in those areas to call public meetings in both areas and have a garda representative present where the garda representative can give assurances to people that any new people arriving into the area have had their passports checked and that they are valid passports to address people,s concerns and I said locals tds where the tds can be asked questions by locals and if anyone has any grievance towards government policy on migration they want to air they can air it.

Some actual dialogue to local communities because there has been little to none since these protests started.

Earlier this year Aodhán Ó Ríordáin was asked if he would speak to the east wall protesters his reply was " why would I ? " .

A local td should be willing to have dialogue with local people even when its an area they might disagree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Had a quick look at that video. It’s hard to know what to make of it all. Neither the protestors nor the Garda Sargent are covering themselves in glory there.

I’m sure that the Guards heads are wrecked dealing with protests of this nature. On the other hand, the protesters are far from the ‘vigilantes’ as they were erroneously characterised, by a particular poster here.

For me, the most uncomfortable and depressing aspect of this video, is the growing tension, division, and sense of unease that’s bubbling away below the surface in Irish society. How this will manifest itself going forward is anybody’s guess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

The woman asked questions to the female guard and the female guard didn,t have any real answers; I agree with your sentiment about a growing unease to all of this.

Before any potential unrest starts up now is the time for local tds and a local garda representative or someone from Immigration control to hold public meetings in east wall plus ballybrack and any other areas where there is protests where assurances can be given to people that there is proper document checking in place at the airports and dialogue with local communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

your implying that all immigration is equal and there is no point looking under the hood, there is nothing interesting about 10 thousand French or Polish moving here versus 10 thousand poorly educated mostly males from some third world country?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Of course the female Garda Sergeant didn't have answers to questions about government policies. And asking personal questions like what does she think of something? It's not the time or place to ask those questions, she doesn't need to answer, particularly when she is working in uniform. Want to know her personal opinions? Ask her in real life when she is not working.

More ridiculous protests from people protesting in the wrong areas.

Have issues with government policies? Off ya pop there to government buildings and protest to your heart's content, why stand outside empty buildings or into Garda stations getting in the way of real work and people trying to get in.

Going into stations and recording individual Gardai who know nothing about government policies achieves nothing, apart from maybe annoying the daylights out of members.

Not sure what all this is supposed to prove? People coming here on holiday also have to have documentation.

Australia also accept asylum seekers, and yes they have to accept those with no documentation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Any one who arrives in Australia without documentation who is seeking asylum or IPA, are placed in a secure processing centre until.their identiy is confirmed and their apolication is fully processed. It might takes years, and yes, it sounds cruel. But I agree with it.

If you are running from, for example the Taliban, and are terrified of returning to your own country, i think i,d prefer to be held in a processing centre ((food, shelter, medical needs provided), than be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There are around 75,000 failed asylum seekers living in Australia who have not been deported. It's a bit of a myth that they are operating an ultra strict asylum system and that we don't.

The video is of a woman who was not even in ballybrack and is clearly not from the area because when the Sergeant asks if she is talking about Eblana ave, the woman hasn't a clue! ' er... yes'

What do you think is the reason she is in Garda station asking a sergeant about government policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Being allowed to come and reside here without any investigation as to who you are or your history is wrong. If you are letting a bunch of recidivist criminals in here it's just wrong. You are not protecting those who already live here by letting those people in.

People read and hear about foreign criminals committing all sorts of crimes from growing and dealing drugs to sex offences and murder. And some have had terrible experiences at the hands of these criminals.

So you then get those people and their friends being anti-immigrants from certain countries and they are labeled racist etc. for having these opinions.

As said above there is a simmering unease in the background and things will kick off in some form soon.

We need to protect our citizens and the reputation of the hard-working decent people, the large majority, immigrating from those countries

Who comes here without any investigations? Do you mean asylum seekers?

• Advertisement

What about non nationals being attacked and / or murdered by Irish citizens? This works both ways - the state surely has a duty to protect everyone.

Why do you think that's happening?

Obviously some of it is because of bad people but more of it could be because of bad experiences that people have had with criminals from those countries.

In my post I said the citizens of this country have to be protected from recidivist criminals. That includes people from the same countries as these criminals.

Why should we be making their country better and ours worse by taking their criminals in?

As I also said, these criminals are creating a bad situation for the many, many honest, decent, hard-working people coming from those countries.

All I want is for anybody intending to come here to be investigated before they are allowed in. Anybody who has multiple convictions in the last five years should not be let in.

So have you anything to say about my post instead of trying to set up a road block?

I think you're overstating the issue. Ireland cannot go outside EU law when it comes to movement of EU citizens from one EU state to another. If a person has an arrest warrant against then, then that person can be arrested immediately and extradited back to their home EU state (which happens quite often). But if we're talking about former criminals who have served their time and who are not being sought by anyone, then their hands are rather tied.

Is the lady in the video one of the ‘middle aged, old men’ you claimed are exclusively populating the protests? Is she a ‘vigilante’? Seems like a pretty reasonable woman, asking some pointed questions.

Where I do agree with you, is the audience she has chosen to pose those questions. There’s no point targeting the local Garda station. She should be e-mailing, calling, perhaps door-stepping her local public representatives, holding them accountable for these decisions.

I have no idea why she is questioning the guards. Her motivation is entirely opaque to me. Frankly, it’s utterly bizarre that you would pose that question to me.

That lady isn't at a protest, not was she at the one in ballybrack, so no, she isn't one of the middle aged men rising the locals.

She is a bit of a stirrer I guess, maybe along the lines of Gemma Doherty or Dee Wall.

We agree that it is an utterly pointless exercise, just looking for some reaction for her online channel 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

I can't imagine the guards are too thrilled about this open doors absolute madness. Not only do they have to deal with the protests they also have to deal with stuff like this.

It's the incompetents at Leinster House responsible.

I know nothing about the lady, her offline or online activities, and I’ve never heard of Dee Wall. You, on the other hand, seem to be quite well versed with this cast of characters.

For my part, I credit the ‘locals’ with a baseline level of intelligence who are capable of forming their own opinions. You seem to believe that they are malleable idiots, capable of being risen by ‘middle aged, old men’. I trust the ‘locals’ to know what’s best for their own community.

• Advertisement

Poor Gardai have to deal with all sorts of nonsense from all sorts of people everyday. They get support from others when it suits their agendas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement