Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex for free rent: Why is this so wrong between consenting adults?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

That is part of a much broader conversation.

This thread is about sex being coerced for reduced rent (even if you do not believe it is coercion).

I would support the Bill proposed that such arrangements forming part of a tenancy agreement between a landlord and tenant, whether formal or informal, and irrespective of who proposes such an arrangement, be illegal.

I hope that clears my position up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

if you accept the key differences between sex workers and rent-for-sex then how is the mention of sex workers relevant..?

Also, FYI - sex workers aren't necessarily prostitutes - webcamers, strippers and professional dominas are classes as sex workers, but they don't sell sex or have sex with anyone. But again the key difference is they call the shots!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,506 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

[D]o you believe that people should not be allowed to offer sex as currency?

There is zero exchange of currency here. This is a red herring. We aren't discussing red light districts or regulated commercial zones where people can choose to call out sick, deny a client, or start and stop work as they please. We are talking about primary residence issues, and housing crisis issues, and that being used as a point of coercion to drive vulnerable persons into offering their bodies up for sex that they otherwise would never, but only for the sake a landlord could legally get by with that coercion. It is an effort to loophole the exchange of currency, dodge taxes, transaction records, and all manner of things. How do people think Prima Nocta came about, by the way? Fat rich lords that wanted to coerce sex they would never get on their own otherwise. They could pay for every sex worker in Ye Olde Whorehouse twice over every sunday, but who they really wanted to lay were young marriage-age virgins who would never have agreed to it in an otherwise level-regulated prostitution system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

I had a tennant once that offered 'other ways to pay'. Thank God I refused, could only imagine the unforseen consequences. I wonder though how many of these arrangements exist...

• Advertisement

Even in what the 2 parties perceived as 'informed and consensual' (I don't think that could ever be the situation unless, say, you had 2 star crossed landlords that exchanged properties during the summer etc), you leave yourself open to all the legal and ethical and baby dilemmas, but also, undisclosed or unknown about STDs from herpes to HIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Going by some of the posters that agree with the whole scenario... It must be 😁

I am sure it happens, but is swept even further under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It does concern the general public when a certain % of these deals will be clear exploitation. Protecting vulnerable people is more important than giving landlords more ways of paying for sex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

"Give us a pack of Marlboro red, will ya? I'm a bit light at the minute, will ya take a handy instead?"

"Ah sure g'wan. Let me just get the door."

• Advertisement

Jeez, will the last one out squirt some bleach around here, please! Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

"We are human and we have rights. Everyone is supposed to respect us, not use our bad situation."

Of course I respect you and I would never user your bad situation. Rent for the dogbox?...It's 2.5k a month with 2 months deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

For the posters arguing for this. Care to cite which countries offer this as a legally acceptable way to pay rent? At the moment, it's largely posters with existing dodgy views arguing the merits of it which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

While lots of landlords might have this fantasy (and try to justify it within some libertarian utopia), it’s very rare in a country like Ireland where women have lots of other options. Any young woman just needs to send out a few messages and they’ll be offers of couches at the worst. And most women have the luxury of getting bailed out by their parents. Sex for rent is a real last resort, most women would try Onlyfans before this. Not only will they see it as disgusting but any woman with an IQ above 70 would know not to trap themselves in such an obvious power imbalance.  

Despite the rarity, there will always be a very small proportion of vulnerable women who may choose this option out of desperation. The type of woman who needs to use all her money to fund a drug addiction or a cognitively impaired woman vulnerable to coercion and manipulation. This law is valuable as it:

Protects vulnerable women and reduces the power imbalance with an abusive landlord 

Prevents the housing crisis leading to Ireland becoming a sleazy culture. If sex for rent is socially acceptable it can start to pervade into other areas like employment. Would American or Middle Eastern parents send their daughters to college in Ireland if landlords were propositioning them at every turn. 

It benefits men – If landlords think there’s a possibility their tenant will have sex with them, they’re going to favour female tenants. From my time renting, half the ads were female-only and men got discriminated against at the best of times (despite men being better tenants on average).

It challenges the God delusion of some landlords. Since the start of the housing crisis some landlords have taken on narcissistic delusional thinking. They see renters as some poor serfs and think that these second-class citizens would do anything to access their precious commodity. They don't see the immorality of sex for rent as they don't see renters as in the same class as themselves. The renters could have PhDs and high earning jobs but some landlords feel the house they inherited from their aunt puts them at the top of the social order. Cribbing about an obvious law such as this exposes that sense of entitlement over other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Anybody defending this sort of f**king grim as Hell exploitative set-up would want to check themselves.

Anybody who is brokering this sort of f**king grim as Hell exploitative set-up needs to be given judicial sentences akin to most other forms of sexual abuse.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I long to see the day when you can conduct a discussion without resorting insults just because someone has a different option to yours.

This is not black and white despite you wanting to see it this way. Of course there are people who will exploit others and the situation they are in, but not every case is about a vulnerable damsel in distress.

Would you be ok with a woman initiating this agreement for free or reduced rent because she has sussed the landlord to be gullible enough to fall for it? I see no issue with it, nor do I care if the other party was to suggest the deal.

How would you like your daughter to "fall for it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,228 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Thank god for that.

• Advertisement

I take from that you have no daughter, probably no offspring whatsoever, seeing how you want to defend this grim exploitation that is totally detrimental to what western civilization is supposed to be about. So you've no skin in the game for any sort of civilized future. That's fair enough man. Your loss.

Don't expect your loss to be the narrative for anybody or the vast majority of everyone else. Because it won't.

I’d offer to give her the balance of the rent that is too high for her.

I don’t even understand what this means. What loss?

That's not the question.

Ultimately, are you willing to admit that there are circumstances in which a tenant-landlord relationship can be conducted through sexual means?

Nobody is suggesting coercive cases. We can all agree that is wrong and put those cases to one side.

We're talking about cases where there is equal consent among adults.

Speak for yourself. And they weren't speaking to you.

What cases exist where equal consent is possible? The parties are not equals.

You see no problem in people literally being slave meat in order to try to survive in a world run by banks and corporations. Because the banks and corporations are the ones who ultimately control the rent, the greasy money making racket including the disgusting wannabee pimps that try to coerce desperate people into performing sexual encounters for rent.

That is what your loss is. You want to defend this mess. You are literally defending slavery. Because that is what it is. How do you feel defending slavery J? White slavery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Care to point out any countries that have attempted to normalise this as a legal contract? It's so heavily unbalanced that it would simply never be acceptable. Cause lumping a person based on not wanting to have sex is up there with legal marital rape. Consent just falls apart in these circumstances.

Let's assume a case where a woman approaches a landlord with the arrangement. Where is the lack of equal consent in such a scenario?

Just to remind you, I'm not encouraging nor do I support the activity. I wouldn't support society recommending it. But is legislation required to deal with situations in which consent is agreed by both parties? As yet, I don't see the case for it.

• Advertisement

What if I offer to **** my professor for an extension on my research stipend? /s

You're not illustrating a situation where the parties are equal.

Advertisement